The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Warlock – Master of the Arcane (New Fantasy 4X Game in World of Majesty)

By on August 30, 2011 4:42:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some new information is coming out on a future Fantasy TBS 4X game called Warlock – Master of the Arcane. The game is set in the same world as the Majesty series. There isn't lots of information out, but we do have some WIP screens and concept art. The weird thing to me is that they are saying Q2 2012, but there doesn't even seem to be a site for the game yet, just a tiny forum at Paradox.

Anyways, I really like the Majesty games, although they have never lived up to their billing of 'Fantasy Kingdom Simulator' and are really more 'Hero  Influencing Simulators.' I really wish that those games would expand the 'Kingdom Simulator' bit to provide a wider range and depth of gameplay. The idea of a 'Fantasy Kingdom Simulator' has always been one of the things I have wanted Elemental to be.

1C has a strong list of games including Majesty, King's Bounty, Men of War, and others. Not sure about the exact studio doing this game.

I'll be interested to see how this develops. The more the merrier, I say!

The below link is for one of several small articles out there, and includes a gallery of screen shots.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/new-turn-based-strategy-game-announced-warlock-master-of-the-arcane.htm

+5 Karma | 148 Replies
March 26, 2012 4:41:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

The tower defense these guys just released was a total disappointment. I'll wait for reviews and patches before I pick up this game, but if it looks good and plays like a better fantasy war with strategy elements, I'm in.

Ouch. Have you tried it, or read reviews? I mean the tower defense game

March 27, 2012 2:35:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The tower defense game isn't actually made by the same people. It's a letdown because of it's limitations. Not enough variety in the towers, the upgrades are sometimes pointless, the unit AI is exploitable, and though the idea of sending your own customized waves of units is nice, the implementation doesn't allow for a lot of strategy, turning the later parts of a game into a slow grind.

March 29, 2012 9:59:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyone able to find a firm release date?

March 30, 2012 10:19:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There isn't one. 

April 13, 2012 8:43:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Release date 05/08/2012

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/warlock-master-of-the-arcane

April 14, 2012 8:00:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure how this came to be (legitimate preview or bootleg beta violation), but there's a gameplay preview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYp0ftWWAC8

April 14, 2012 10:48:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice review. And I think a lot of people will see the influence of Civ V ...

And what was with the 40K quote? Game Workshop will be comin after em eh?

April 14, 2012 12:11:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He's playing an old preview version. The graphics is much more polished in the current version of the beta.

Edit: This video looks like the current beta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5T1Wz-LEv4&feature=player_embedded#!

April 18, 2012 12:10:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who was it that said they wished FE would take some of the engine of Warlock as an example? That really made me laugh. Made my morning.

April 18, 2012 1:31:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Who was it that said they wished FE would take some of the engine of Warlock as an example? That really made me laugh. Made my morning.

I've been playing (legit) the latest Warlock beta, and it's nothing like FE--but that's to be expected, since gameplay is entirely different.  Use that engine for FE?  Agreed, it just simply couldn't work.  The games are similar in only the most basic of ways.  It's like saying because Dr. Seuss and Hemingway both used English, Hemingway should have used Seuss' style to express himself.

If the bell tolls, don't ask why, Sam!

Answer the door with green eggs and ham!

April 19, 2012 4:33:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been playing it also,  It has a real addictive quality to it but I also have some concerns.  It is in beta and I'm new to the game but these are my initial impressions

Good points

- very stable so far and runs well even late game

- UI is very usable and the game let's you know what is happening and basically will guide you around to where you need production or have units to move. 

- the way tech advances/unit advances are tied directly to the buildings that you build as opposed to having a tech tree is slick.  You have to plan out each city to determine what will be its purpose.  Food production, income, tough units, unit upgrades, etc...

- Unit upgrades are given to units produced in the city where it is located, but are available for purchase by other units

Concerns

- Game works really well early game, I'm a little concerned about late game fun.  I've only played one game on normal, but I've progressed pretty far in.  AI hasn't been too competitive.

- some reports would be nice, sometimes I have to cycle through cities to find things. 

- Not sure of long term re-playability.  I'm going to have to try some other AI levels and other map sizes.  The large map I'm playing on is large and the game is sucking up hours.  It is really fun right now, but everything I'm seeing is new

Bottom line

As of now it is a buy, there are a lot of fun mechanics and it is interesting trying things out.

April 19, 2012 4:39:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm still curious how they'll implement gods and their quests--just how individual they'll make each, including rewards, punishments, and visuals.  Sacrifice did an excellent job of this, but of course, the quests were the main game.  Here, quests are only a part of game design, though a significant part.  I'd really like to see some differentiation between the gods, including a special building for each, if you've pleased them greatly--but we'll see.

April 22, 2012 11:18:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If anyone is interested in playing this game early, IGN Prime has beta keys that are good until 3 May. Of course you have to subscribe to IGN Prime. Which is a very nice time to do it; they gave King Arthur, Crusader Kings Complete, and Space Pirates and Zombies all for free. Also a permanent 15% discount for Gamersgate, so I pre-ordered Warlock for 17 bucks (pre-order include the DLC pack) not bad at all. Geez I sound like a salesman.

Anyways I second everything Silicor said, for 20 bucks you can't go wrong. The early game is pretty damn fun.

Early game quests have been simple stuff, like found a city, build a harbor. Hopefully there are more interesting quests. I intend to get some game time in today, hopefully late game is just as fun.

April 23, 2012 1:24:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hadberz,
Early game quests have been simple stuff, like found a city, build a harbor. Hopefully there are more interesting quests. I intend to get some game time in today, hopefully late game is just as fun.

I've found quests to destroy a specific monster, or take an independent city.  I'm really curious how these are going to factor into the "flavor" of each god who makes a demand.  We'll see.  The latest beta is about a month old, and the game's due out in two weeks, so it'll be interesting to see all the code bits in place that were kept out of that beta because they weren't finished.

April 26, 2012 8:47:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Demo is out. Paradox also confirmed there will be a multiplayer patch after release.

April 26, 2012 9:10:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quests sound similar to "Senate Quests" in Rome total war. (ie generic 'take this city' quests with generic rewards of gold or units)

April 30, 2012 9:19:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So after playing the demo a bit I think the game, at least initially, comes off as a dumbed down version of a smart strategy game. As well the quests feel arbitrary. And from what i'm hearing about faction limit, i'm very disappointed. I was very excited about the game, but once I tried it...not so much. Not sure if i'll be buying it or not.

May 1, 2012 6:06:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I found a feature really interesting in this game.

That is the world system, one that is apparently in the MoM series.

Basically, in addition to the current map that you have, you can adventure into other "worlds" (completely different map) generated for quests, monsters, etc.

I think this would be a fantastic addition to fallen enchantress.

May 1, 2012 6:09:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

I believe it was me, and when I mentioned it, I don't mean utilize the same engine. What I mean is, bring the fallen enchantress engine up to par in terms of the level of optimization and smoothness to that of warlock.

Is it laughable to ask for a game to run smoothly late game on minimum settings?

May 1, 2012 11:54:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On a different note, I'd like to see Fallen Enchantress aim big along the lines of things Warlock has done.

In Warlock, there's a whole pantheon of gods.  You can do quests for them, which ingratiate you with the god who gave the particular quest.  As you continually improve relations with a particular god, they start to grant you things like access to special spells.

If you improve relations enough, you become a champion of that god.  However, each god has a diametrically opposed god, who doesn't take kindly to you being the champion of their mortal enemy.  Once you are crowned champion, the opposing god sends their avatar into the world to destroy you.  If you can defeat that avatar, you win the game.

Fallen Enchantress needs more bats**t crazy stuff like that.

May 3, 2012 10:40:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lantros,
Good news. There can never be enough good TBS 4X games...

I agree.

TBS - Check

4X game - Check

Fantasty Setting - Check

Hexes - Check

Lore / Humor - Check

I'm there.

Check out the demo if there is any chance you might be interested.

May 3, 2012 11:27:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Replicators,

I found a feature really interesting in this game.

That is the world system, one that is apparently in the MoM series.

Basically, in addition to the current map that you have, you can adventure into other "worlds" (completely different map) generated for quests, monsters, etc.

I think this would be a fantastic addition to fallen enchantress.

World systems are always interesting. I think a major question about any game that uses a world system is whether settling it should be possible, or only using it for quests and loot.

May 3, 2012 12:59:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Technically every tactical battle is a separate world, but I would really like it if FE had strategic separate worlds as well. They wouldn't have to be complete dimensions like in some games. Just a cave or a portal to some dark place. It's not going to be in FE, but maybe for the next game after FE? It's going to be 64-bit only so they'll have a lot more memory.

May 4, 2012 11:55:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't found a single hint about system requirements to play the game on their site...

May 4, 2012 1:24:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played the demo the other night and here are my thoughts and impressions:

Although it's fun and I'm certainly buying it, MoM-like it ain't. It's been simplified too much to bear much resemblance to other 4x games of this ilk like AoW or MoM (or FE for that matter).

The missing tactical combat doesn't really bother me. It uses bacically the same combat as Ino-Co's previous Fantasy Wars and Elven legacy games, which I liked. What puzzles me is why they did not include the ranged defensive support fire that's in those games. That was also a big part of Fantasy General and Panzer General. It allows for the use of combined arms and provides more tactical depth. They obviously felt the need to dumb it down there for some reason. Very dissapointing and I think it was a mistake.

The spell reseach is a greatly simplified and scaled back version of the random MoM research choices. You can't choose starting spellbooks as in MoM and basically you just get a much smaller selection of random spells to research. I'm okay with this I think. I'll have to play the full game to see.

There are no heroes at all in the game which is really the biggest departure from other similar games and the biggest letdown for me. Even their Fantasy Wars games had heroes. A lot of the fun of these types of games for me is recruiting, leveling up and equipping your heroes. Hero skill choices can be almost a mini-game in and of themselves.

No heroes means no equipment either. Major bummer. There's no swords of firey wrath or shields of +3 movement in this game to be had via monster lairs or quests.

Although there are a goodly number of victory conditions that appear in the setup at the start of a game, you can't pick and choose the ones you want to be in your game. Instead, all of them are always in play. I've seen some complaints about this from beta testers who don't want their game to suddenly end because one of the AIs got a diplomatic victory or cast the master spell or whatever. Frustrating for the conqueror types.

Related to that, when you are playing, there's no screen to track victory conditions and how each race, including your own is doing in the game. No stats, no nothing. It's quite frustrating.

Again related, when an AI victory condition is met, you do not have the option of continuing to play, the game just ends.

Finally, as far as I can tell, there is no score given afterwards or any post mortem stats page.

All of these odd omissions leads me to strongly suspect that the developer was operating under the constraints of a lack of time, funding, or both. maybe Paradox pushed them to get a no frills game out quickly and cheaply, telling them that if it does well, they can add the other stuff later in an expansion or DLC. That's the most likely reason, in my opinion.

The gameplay as it stands seems pretty tight, simple and appealing to me. But for how long, I wonder? The game seems wide to me but not very deep strategically. I do wonder if it will hold my attention after I play a few games.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001563   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.