The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Warlock – Master of the Arcane (New Fantasy 4X Game in World of Majesty)

By on August 30, 2011 4:42:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some new information is coming out on a future Fantasy TBS 4X game called Warlock – Master of the Arcane. The game is set in the same world as the Majesty series. There isn't lots of information out, but we do have some WIP screens and concept art. The weird thing to me is that they are saying Q2 2012, but there doesn't even seem to be a site for the game yet, just a tiny forum at Paradox.

Anyways, I really like the Majesty games, although they have never lived up to their billing of 'Fantasy Kingdom Simulator' and are really more 'Hero  Influencing Simulators.' I really wish that those games would expand the 'Kingdom Simulator' bit to provide a wider range and depth of gameplay. The idea of a 'Fantasy Kingdom Simulator' has always been one of the things I have wanted Elemental to be.

1C has a strong list of games including Majesty, King's Bounty, Men of War, and others. Not sure about the exact studio doing this game.

I'll be interested to see how this develops. The more the merrier, I say!

The below link is for one of several small articles out there, and includes a gallery of screen shots.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/new-turn-based-strategy-game-announced-warlock-master-of-the-arcane.htm

+5 Karma | 148 Replies
January 25, 2012 12:06:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Xan,
I'm usually a Paradox groupie but find some of their fans to be delusional. I am interested in Warlock like others and have been lurking over at Paradox and came across this thread:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?580579-Warlock-against-Fallen-enchantress

I love this quote:

It's too late for Elemental. Stardock might regain a small amount of reputation, but they won't have a chance against Warlock, which has been semi-established through the Majesty games.

This by a Hearts of Iron 2 modder mind you from the publisher of SOTS2.

I don't really see those claims as being accurate. Elemental had a rocky start, but new games are usually looked at in a new light, and so long as FE is good by release the Elemental franchise should do fine. Not as well as it would if WoM was excellent too, but still fine.

And Majesty isn't really that established of an IP. It exists, but most fans of the original didn't like 2, so there's not a strong fanbase.

January 25, 2012 12:11:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Das123,
I'll definitely be getting Warlock as well as playing FE. Looking forward to both. To be honest, Warlock will need to be pretty damned special to compete with Fallen Enchantress. Totally agree that the more games in this genre the better for everyone.

As it was earlier said, this game are making guys responsible for Fantasy Wars (1C: Ino-Co) -- a very nice, rather simple turn-based tactical game on hex board. As I can see (from watching beta gameplay videos) Warlock has the same base battle mechanics (hex tiles, 1UPT, etc.), but bigger map, some city management, discovering spells... This is probably going to be a nice game as well, but I'm pretty sure it's much simpler than Civilization V and Fallen Enchantress. So I'm looking forward to playing it too, even if it's no more than a decent stand-alone fantasy Civ V mod.

January 25, 2012 2:48:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I read a fair bit of comments about FE on other forums, and as far as I can tell about one in four consider "all faith lost" in SD, and will not ever purchase or play again (at least, that's what they say... internet attracts big claims). But the positive side is that for the first time I'm seeing comments like in that thread, where some claim that it is already a fantastic game, much, much better than E:wom (often attributed to Derek Paxton).

January 25, 2012 3:14:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I should be getting my other PC up and running next month, and having access to both games, I'll try and do a head to head comparison in an article of some sorts. I honestly never dreamed of seeing a year where the biggest competition for TBS games would be other TBS games. Sure, WoM was a month apart from Civ 5, but this year we've got FE and Warlock, Xenonauts and X-Com, Jagged Alliance Online and Jagged Alliance Back in Action(although that one is more real time), and a bunch more I can't remember this early in the morning.

January 25, 2012 3:16:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's mostly my take. What I'm hearing about FE so far sounds a lot different than what I heard when I checked into Elemental mid-beta. But I try to take that as neutrally as possible until I can mess with it myself. But things like "each of the races feels distinct and purposeful..." is encouraging to hear.

If FE turns out to be a good game with the right mentality behind it, I'll be more than glad to say so other places and judge it based solely on its own merits, and not on how much better, or worse, it is than Elemental.

As for what SD's rep is ultimately with gamers out there right now, I can't really say. A game that under delivers can do serious damage to that rep, but a game that does deliver can easily restore it.

March 5, 2012 3:49:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Had the chance to play it for a few hours today. It's a lot like Civ 5, same combat, similar rules, but with spells instead of research, more in a blind research sort of way, and simplified city management, in the sense that there's no unrest and stuff. City development though is quite nice, very limited building space means you've got to specialize a lot. The graphics are very colorful which lends it a whimsical and charming atmosphere that suits the game very well. You can cast spells everywhere you please, you can set up maps with up to 6 parallel worlds and Sean Connery is your advisor again. So far I've enjoyed it a lot, but it could use a few Elemental features, like champions and tactical battles. 

March 5, 2012 3:55:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Screenshots look like Civ 5

March 5, 2012 4:07:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Hmm. That's a little depressing to read. I wonder how wide spread that view. And yes, I get the irony given HOI2's difficulties.

Don't worry about it too much.. generally people that are enamored with paradox wouldn't buy FE anyway (unless you got paradox to Publish it )

March 6, 2012 10:27:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vallu751,
The screenshots look a lot like Civ 5. I wonder if they're building on the same engine.

I have to agree with this. I've watched all the game-play footage I could find on Warlock so far and the combat seems like it was ripped right out of Civ 5 and given a fantasy spin. While this game looks cool in some respects, I need more strategic depth in my armies organization and representation to truly enjoy game-play of this type. If the combat were to take place at another scale aside from the world map, like FE's or like MoM's or even like "Lords of Magic" I would probably like this game better.

I'd say it's worth keeping an eye on at the very least though.

March 9, 2012 12:38:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Got my eye on this one.

March 9, 2012 3:18:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RavenX,

Quoting Vallu751, reply 5The screenshots look a lot like Civ 5. I wonder if they're building on the same engine.

I have to agree with this. I've watched all the game-play footage I could find on Warlock so far and the combat seems like it was ripped right out of Civ 5 and given a fantasy spin. While this game looks cool in some respects, I need more strategic depth in my armies organization and representation to truly enjoy game-play of this type. If the combat were to take place at another scale aside from the world map, like FE's or like MoM's or even like "Lords of Magic" I would probably like this game better.

I'd say it's worth keeping an eye on at the very least though.

Hmmmm... It seems it's closer to Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy. And the combat system was far far far far better than the system of MoM or FE.

I think I'll take it as an Elven Legacy with strategical options (what to build and spells). So I think it coul dbe a must. Let see if they can achieve something at least as good as Elven Legacy.

March 9, 2012 6:00:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX is right, this is fantasy Civ 5.

The combat system in Elven Legacy was the same style as the Panzer General games. Warlock does not have that.

March 10, 2012 2:55:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How sad Elven Legacy was such a brilliant game.

March 10, 2012 3:54:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting vieuxchat,
How sad Elven Legacy was such a brilliant game.

Indeed it was.

March 24, 2012 1:33:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a screenshot from Fantasy Wars, a game released by the same developers as Warlock back in 2007 (i.e. before Civ5).

Warlock is running an updated version of the engine from this game. Similar to Civ5? Yes, but only because Civ5 was similar to Fantasy Wars.

March 24, 2012 7:27:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fantasy wars (awesome game) is a fantasy version of Panzer General. And Panzer General is what inspired Firaxis when they made Civ 5.

March 24, 2012 11:26:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,
Fantasy wars (awesome game) is a fantasy version of Panzer General. And Panzer General is what inspired Firaxis when they made Civ 5.

The real question is: who discovered hexes? I bet Ancient Greeks. They should have patented the idea! 

March 24, 2012 12:10:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CladInShadows971,
This is a screenshot from Fantasy Wars, a game released by the same developers as Warlock back in 2007 (i.e. before Civ5).

Warlock is running an updated version of the engine from this game. Similar to Civ5? Yes, but only because Civ5 was similar to Fantasy Wars.

No, it's not. I read a preview a few months ago where they said that the game engine they were using was the Civ5 engine licensed directly from Fireaxis. So the reason that is looks so much like Civ5 is that it IS Civ5. They also said that the early development preview version was still using a lot of the default Civ5 assets still. The game combat is pure Civ5.

Let's hope that they differentiate their game as much as possible from Civ5 and don't take the easy way out.

March 24, 2012 12:48:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting C0LDsteel,
I read a preview a few months ago where they said that the game engine they were using was the Civ5 engine licensed directly from Fireaxis.

Citation needed.

ps *Firaxis

March 24, 2012 10:44:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Quoting C0LDsteel,
reply 68
I read a preview a few months ago where they said that the game engine they were using was the Civ5 engine licensed directly from Fireaxis.

Citation needed.

ps *Firaxis

I did a little research and it appears the guy who wrote the preview I read was just plain wrong, although this does seem to be a common belief out there that is irritating the developer. I found a post from one of the game developers on the Paradox forums denying that they had a license with Firaxis. He says the engine is indeed an enhanced version of the Fantasy Wars game engine and uses none of the Civ5 art assets. He says it just happens to look a lot like Civ5.

So, my apologies to CladInShadows.

March 25, 2012 5:32:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's a good news, because combat in Fantasy wars was much better than in Civ 5, which is not that hard, though.

March 25, 2012 7:17:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DarkGaldred,
That's a good news, because combat in Fantasy wars was much better than in Civ 5, which is not that hard, though.

Sorry but combat is still like civ 5. Engine is not the same as combat mechanics.

March 25, 2012 8:10:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loved the combat in fantasy wars, far better than Civ5 of course. Unfortunately, I got into fantasy wars too late, the graphics were too ugly for me to watch while playing so I couldn't enjoy it.

The tower defense these guys just released was a total disappointment. I'll wait for reviews and patches before I pick up this game, but if it looks good and plays like a better fantasy war with strategy elements, I'm in.

March 25, 2012 8:21:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting C0LDsteel,
I found a post from one of the game developers on the Paradox forums denying that they had a license with Firaxis. He says the engine is indeed an enhanced version of the Fantasy Wars game engine and uses none of the Civ5 art assets. He says it just happens to look a lot like Civ5.

Yeah. I'll quote Alexey Kozyrev (Development Team Leader of Warlock) to cut all misunderstandings:

• We have no art from Civ,
  • We have no code from it,
  • Nobody in our team has ever worked in or with Firaxis
  • and we are working on the same engine that was used previously for Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy ( that had hexes, cities, 1unit per hex system and animated battles all before Civ. Really we saw many similarities in Civ5 derived from our game.)
  • Warlock has different game mechanics
  • Warlock has different game world
  • Warlock has different building system
  • even "Zone of control" not only looks different but works differently
  • Warlock is something between Elven Lagacy and MoM, that we are still playing from time to time.
  • Our game is about Exploration, Magic Battles, Bulding an Empire and Buffing and Upgrading units.
  • Yes it is 4x grand scale strategy and I hope there will be more.

March 25, 2012 9:05:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,

Quoting DarkGaldred, reply 71That's a good news, because combat in Fantasy wars was much better than in Civ 5, which is not that hard, though.

Sorry but combat is still like civ 5. Engine is not the same as combat mechanics.

But why would they drop their own combat engine to borrow the inferior civ5 mechanics? That does not make much sense

From what I recall, Fantasy wars had unit casualties replacement cost, defensive support from archers and mages to adjacent units being attacked, suppresion(ie temporary damages) , and more interesting units progression (and the unit stats were more detailled).

That may have required a bit of streamlining to adapt it to a larger map and army, but not as much as turning it into an Civ 5 clone  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.