The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Video preview of the updated Sins graphics engine

By on February 29, 2012 12:53:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We’ve talked previously about the work done on updating the visuals for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

Tomorrow, we plan to release BETA 1 of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion so users can see both the graphical update and, more importantly, the new Rebellion and Loyalist factions, Titans, new capital ships and the hundreds of other changes and additions to the Sins of a Solar Empire universe.

A lot of the improvements will be subtle but hopefully noticed by players. The team has updated the AI for both combat (using special abilities intelligently) as well as for strategic use to ensure the single player game gets taken up a few notches.

The multiplayer experience is obviously very beefed up thanks to improvements to ICO and the inclusion of Steamworks for taking a lot of the load off of ICO.

+912 Karma | 75 Replies
February 29, 2012 1:20:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Two words:

Sick Day.

February 29, 2012 1:24:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To be fair, the released screenshots do not do enough justice to Rebellion, it looks far better on this video. I even created thread to talk the lack of contrast and not very realistically looking lightning, despite addition of selfshadowing. i have no complaints about that anymore, it looks very adequate, so kudos to you for good work.

EDIT: There i did it, finally broke my fears and preordered it. Shit, i feel so insecure about this online transactions. BTW it says copy of the receipt was sent to my mail, but so far nothing new on my inbox    Can someone please confirm my order was accepted and i did everything right? In the top right corner there is the (1)Cart, when i click on it, the first step of buying shows up, the one before you click on checkout. Am i missing something?

One more question, is my credit cart info now stored with your system? I would frankly prefer if this could be done without it, as one-off order, like on Steam... 

February 29, 2012 1:25:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, I was thinking it would be late March. Can't wait to see the changes for myself.

February 29, 2012 1:38:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wowww, so early... need to fast transfer money on pay-pal since it take around 4 working day for money to appear there...

As for the video, the really awesome thing is the zoom... yes, i know, it is there from the beginning but it is a pleasure to have a smooth zoom from the galactic level to the smallest detail...

Retexture work !!! Hope that it is not again a switch between two texture channel else modders will kill you !!!

February 29, 2012 1:39:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quick question:

Did they increase well sizes, or scale down the ships to make room for the bigger ships?

February 29, 2012 1:40:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Exciting!

February 29, 2012 2:04:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yay that beta is coming out tomorrow for us!  Question:

Quoting Thoumsin,
Wowww, so early... need to fast transfer money on pay-pal since it take around 4 working day for money to appear there...

As for the video, the really awesome thing is the zoom... yes, i know, it is there from the beginning but it is a pleasure to have a smooth zoom from the galactic level to the smallest detail...

Retexture work !!! Hope that it is not again a switch between two texture channel else modders will kill you !!!

speak of fast transfer, I need to get $160 in my cc if the insufficent funds fees due to fraud don't disappear

February 29, 2012 2:13:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What better way to show off new graphics then to film a computer screen. 

February 29, 2012 3:15:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow... must be perfect timing becauase it is snowing a ton right now.

February 29, 2012 3:16:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does the BETA access happen if you preorder or do you have to be picked/be considered.

I feel a sick week coming on.

Hers to Sins 2

February 29, 2012 3:20:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dude I love the timing, spring break, Sins Beta and Mass Effect 3 OH BOY!

Ok seriously whats with all the hate? We get the beta tomorrow, how many dev's give you inside videos like this? Ya its not perfect video. I have a led and most youtube videos don't have 1080p and the ones that are, only a few are perfect 1080p. Relax.

Tomorrow you will be blowing shit up in all its glory.

February 29, 2012 3:25:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The multiplayer experience is obviously very beefed up thanks to improvements to ICO and the inclusion of Steamworks for taking a lot of the load off of ICO.

Does this mean that we'll be able to play it in online multiplayer tomorrow via Steamworks?  The online multiplayer part and the integration with Steamworks is ready to go?

February 29, 2012 4:29:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They were showing me the updated changes, I pulled out an iPhone and video'd it.  Those who want fancier quality can wait the months it takes for marketing to do them.

February 29, 2012 4:56:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I had planned to spend some time on my studies tomorrow, but I guess it will have to wait.

February 29, 2012 5:01:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I see that the one Kol ships isn't shadowing the other in the video.

However, it is beta and it still makes me want to play it even more!

February 29, 2012 5:22:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
They were showing me the updated changes, I pulled out an iPhone and video'd it.  Those who want fancier quality can wait the months it takes for marketing to do them.

Months? Marketing needs to be replace.    

February 29, 2012 5:29:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That is just encreadable! Fancier? That is impressive already! Wait... does that mean those of us with the preorder will get to beta this?!   *jumps up and down excited*

February 29, 2012 5:41:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am so happy right now. I've been waiting for this for a year!

February 29, 2012 5:53:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I need to add some money to my credit card then I think they will charge my card tomorrow because of the preorder. Awesome news.

February 29, 2012 5:59:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Awesome, the ships feel very physical and material now. This is terrible timing though guys, I had JUST talked myself OUT of getting a new gaming PC.

February 29, 2012 6:08:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just thought of this... I preordered back on March 12, 2011! Stardock=Impulse back then... Impulse now = Gamestop and Stardock is separate.  How is this going to work being that Gamestop/Impulse has no record but Stardock does?!? 

February 29, 2012 6:18:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DavidFalcon,
Just thought of this... I preordered back on March 12, 2011! Stardock=Impulse back then... Impulse now = Gamestop and Stardock is separate.  How is this going to work being that Gamestop/Impulse has no record but Stardock does?!?

That question has been asked before. I'm unclear on the specifics, but it's apparently ALL FINE 

February 29, 2012 6:19:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DavidFalcon,

You still have your purchase but the download and such will be provided through Steam regardless of purchuse location/record.

February 29, 2012 6:19:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Rebellion preorders stayed with Stardock through the Impulse split. Your order will be fulfilled via the Stardock store.

February 29, 2012 6:25:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Honestly, the only thing I care about is late-game lagg-reduction.

Don't get me wrong, updated visuals are a treat - and the graphics were never the cause of the lagg as far as I could tell.

I still think that it's all the refinery and trade ships knocking about that's the primary cause of the late-game lagg, or at least a heavy contributor of it.

At any rate, it's looking great guys. So glad I preordered. A shame I couldn't get it on Steam though, since Sins is one of two games I have on the Impulse, ahem Gamestop, client.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.