The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Video preview of the updated Sins graphics engine

By on February 29, 2012 12:53:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We’ve talked previously about the work done on updating the visuals for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

Tomorrow, we plan to release BETA 1 of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion so users can see both the graphical update and, more importantly, the new Rebellion and Loyalist factions, Titans, new capital ships and the hundreds of other changes and additions to the Sins of a Solar Empire universe.

A lot of the improvements will be subtle but hopefully noticed by players. The team has updated the AI for both combat (using special abilities intelligently) as well as for strategic use to ensure the single player game gets taken up a few notches.

The multiplayer experience is obviously very beefed up thanks to improvements to ICO and the inclusion of Steamworks for taking a lot of the load off of ICO.

+912 Karma | 75 Replies
February 29, 2012 6:27:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting BFroberg,
So glad I preordered. A shame I couldn't get it on Steam though

Rebellion uses Steamworks, so it doesn't really matter where you get it. It'll be in Steam once you install it regardless.

February 29, 2012 6:32:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just spotted something worthwhile in the video. If you watch it on YouTube (use the bigger videoplayer) and stop at 0:19 you can see the two titans that we haven't seen any screenshots of on the left on the monitor. Clearly, the Nigredo Cherubim (for the Advent) and the Charybdis (for the Vasari) did make it into the game after all. I recommend checking them to see their size in comparison to the other titans.

See their original concept art here.

February 29, 2012 7:27:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This looks really good - finally got a chance to check out the vid.  Thanks for posting it!

February 29, 2012 9:19:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Graphics do look much better indeed, but it's funny how they didn't update the appearance of the planets yet they did for everything else.

February 29, 2012 9:21:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Woot!! I'm gunna love to see the beta!

February 29, 2012 9:22:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

wao thanks for the video! looks great and the planet looks bigger- so dose the gravity well! good job guys!!!

February 29, 2012 9:28:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When the Beta is up how will I download the game ? Will it be a code I plug into steam or a seperate download or does no one know yet?

February 29, 2012 9:34:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Can some PLEASE  do a gameplay video on rebellion and put it on YouTube cause that would be great!       

February 29, 2012 11:47:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting sporemaster,
Can some PLEASE  do a gameplay video on rebellion and put it on YouTube cause that would be great!       

I will definitely try to

February 29, 2012 11:49:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting sporemaster,
Can some PLEASE do a gameplay video on rebellion and put it on YouTube cause that would be great!

I suspect me and a few other modders/forum regulars will be having a game this weekend, I'll definitely record the whole multiplayer game if it happens.

Quoting Iendyil,
Will it be a code I plug into steam or a seperate download or does no one know yet?

We'll find out tomorrow.

March 1, 2012 12:17:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some say that pictures have a thousand words, but in this case, the video has a thousand words.

I can't wait for the beta

March 1, 2012 12:41:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kryo,

Quoting BFroberg, reply 25So glad I preordered. A shame I couldn't get it on Steam though

Rebellion uses Steamworks, so it doesn't really matter where you get it. It'll be in Steam once you install it regardless.

So I don't need to manage it through the Impulse client? Thank God for that.

March 1, 2012 12:54:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

March 1st!

East side anyway, i forget where the dev team is

March 1, 2012 1:00:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting noing,

Stardock is in Michigan, Ironclad is in Vancouver. But I don't think they were planning a midnight release anyways.

March 1, 2012 1:07:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Stardock is in Michigan, Ironclad is in Vancouver. But I don't think they were planning a midnight release anyways.

East Coast baby! I must survive OSU lectures before I can rejoice in all that is Rebellion Beta

March 1, 2012 1:52:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

woulda been nice tho

March 1, 2012 2:27:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Beta will be on Steam or somewhere else? Is there a news about it? I hope it will be on Steam and it will be updated quickly until the game releases.

March 1, 2012 2:42:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Freakin Sweet!!!!! Still gotta work so I will catch up with everyone's take this weekend....

March 1, 2012 3:56:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Been watching the vid again and only now i spotted Vasari Ovigas ship out there... it seems that Negredo Cherubim titan is there after all as well. I wonder, what will be Vasari Loyalist Titan, the spikey arachnid thing or the Charybdis...what do you think? The planetkilling ability fits probably more to the spikey thing, but i would picture the Charybdis more as mobile homeworld, as it seems to have more mass... 

March 1, 2012 4:55:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The new engine looks great!

If you give us a present next time can you pls record it in Fraps or other software that we can enjoy it in 1080 or 720

What I mean is that we would see soooo many more details and enjoy it as a full screen capture instead of a mobile one

March 1, 2012 5:26:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The new skybox looks nice as well, less extreme in terms of colors. I might actually enable it.

March 1, 2012 6:36:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is going to be a LONG day at stupid work.

March 1, 2012 7:05:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

two words: AWESOME!!

March 1, 2012 8:28:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thats one word

March 1, 2012 10:32:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

LEGEN - wait for it - DARY!

That's two words.. sort of.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.