The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The dangers of entitled gamers

Very interesting article

By on February 22, 2012 7:42:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock ForumsExternal Link

Read a really good article at Gamespot today about the dangers of gamer entitlement.

http://au.gamespot.com/features/the-dangers-of-gamer-entitlement-6350732/

+912 Karma | 122 Replies
February 22, 2012 1:14:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
What is a thief? Someone that break the law? Is the law same in all countries? Is taking something from others making everyone a thief by law in all cases? Did bankers get prosecuted for being thieves and causing the crisis all around the world?

Did G.W. Bush get prosecuted for much worse stuff?

I explained my reasoning and all of you may call it what you want. But the hard reality is many people are pirating stuff because they cannot afford it. You can call them thieves but it will keep happening. If a sweatshirt was priced half your paycheck (I am not saying a game is half my paycheck) would you still call people stealing it thieves with same conviction? What if same sweatshirt was in another country 1/50 of paycheck?

Books can be borrowed from libraries for very cheep and read. I am sure someone could make a case for closing all libraries and only selling books and forbidding anyone to copy them unless they are licensed and call those that do thieves even if they only do it for self use.

thief: noun - a person who steals, especially secretly or without open force.

You take something from someone else, against their will and without compensation.  With regard to video games, you take something that a team of people have worked on day in and day out for years to create without acknowledging their work at all purely because you want to.  You don't have the honesty to admit the value of their work.  Instead you are saying that your personal enjoyment is more important than the work of potentially dozens of people.  You are an outstanding example of the self entitled gamer Brad is complaining about, although in a different way than the article highlights.  

Cars are significantly more expensive than video games.  Your logic says that you should take any car you want and drive around whenever you want.  The nicer the car, the more expensive, and therefore the less able to afford it you are.  Therefore you should be stealing DB9s and Maseratis all day long based on your sorry excuse for morality. 

As seanw3 says, at least have the integrity to admit who you are and run with it.  

You can throw in all the GWB noise (yawn) and library rationalization you want.  It doesn't change that you steal from people and you do so without even the basic defense of necessity.  You steal luxury goods.  As an aside, the library argument is flat out wrong.  Libraries PAY FOR THE BOOKS YOU BORROW.  The author is compensated.  What you're doing is walking into a B&N or Borders (if you can still find one), taking a book off the shelf, and walking out.  

Hence, thievery.  No gray area.  No rationalization available.  You are a thief.  

February 22, 2012 1:19:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,
 If you steal it, you're saying you're enjoyment is more important than the creators' livelihood.  That the people who produce it should do so for free because your desire to enjoy something trumps their right to earn value for their work.  

It's not just enjoyment though. Culture media items (books, music, movies, games) are good for people, they are a primary source of intellectual stimulation and education. This muddies the waters. Creators make less money, but whatever value they have in enriching lives and minds is preserved. So the effect on the world at large is definitely not all negative. I think it is greedy to make a product of intellectual value that can be replicated without cost and begrudge someone who uses it but can't afford it. This has been the case for quite a while now and all creators have not gone out of business, so it is not so simple as doing it means they all disappear. People who can support them do.

You can think of it in black and white, but it ignores that these particular class of goods, while not survival items, are items that make society better.

February 22, 2012 1:28:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Burress,
Quoting Kantok, reply 21 If you steal it, you're saying you're enjoyment is more important than the creators' livelihood.  That the people who produce it should do so for free because your desire to enjoy something trumps their right to earn value for their work.   

It's not just enjoyment though. Culture media items (books, music, movies, games) are good for people, they are a primary source of intellectual stimulation and education. This muddies the waters. Creators make less money, but whatever value they have in enriching lives and minds is preserved. So the effect on the world at large is definitely not all negative. I think it is greedy to make a product of intellectual value that can be replicated without cost and begrudge someone who uses it but can't afford it. This has been the case for quite a while now and all creators have not gone out of business, so it is not so simple as doing it means they all disappear. People who can support them do.

You can think of it in black and white, but it ignores that these particular class of goods, while not survival items, are items that make society better.

But thats counter intuitive though. If I promote the taking of things that arn't actually yours then I be hurting any moral code against it. That doesn't help society in anyway if I strip its moral values. Who cares about its intellectual stimulation if people can't even tell wth is right or wrong in morally good way.

February 22, 2012 1:30:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Burress,

Quoting Kantok, reply 21 If you steal it, you're saying you're enjoyment is more important than the creators' livelihood.  That the people who produce it should do so for free because your desire to enjoy something trumps their right to earn value for their work.   

So you're saying people are justified stealing because it enhances their... what?  Cultural level?  Intelligence?  The only thing you listed that can legitimately be counted as a primary source of stimulation or education is books.  If the others are your primary source of either simulation or education you are neither stimulated nor educated.  Regardless, it doesn't muddy the waters one bit.  It's theft.  

You think it is greedy for someone to make something of value and begrudge someone else who takes it and uses it without providing equal value?  Seriously?  Congratulations for undermining the entire world economy and the very system that has led to the greatest amount of human progress in history.  Why not carry this nonsensical Utopian idea to its logical conclusion and say that no one owns anything and that we are all entitled to everything.  Because what you're saying is that if something can be rationalized to have societal cultural value that it is wrong to charge people for it. 

Whether or not the creators go out of business is irrelevant.  Piracy is stealing their work.  In the case of the "class of goods that make society better" you are essentially stealing the product of others minds.  That doesn't make it any less theft or any less wrong.  It's not a gray are at all.  

And all of this this ignores the fact that that thieves stealing video games are not doing so for any reason other than their own enjoyment.  

February 22, 2012 1:32:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, in the case of these article, Jennifer Helper was only speaking about add a option who allow to skip combat...

The keyword here is OPTION...

Since when, it is bad to have more option... having a option don't obligate you to use it... people who wish to skip will use it and people who don't wish to skip won't use it...

First time that i launch a game, i look at the intro and cinematic... the next time, i use the "esc" key for skip... why not add similar option to combat for make everybody happy... in fact, it already exist in some game who mix strategy and combat... it is called autoresolve like in the total war game...

If the people who like combat can skip cinematic if they wish, why deny the same right to people who don't like combat...

And again, it repeat, it is a OPTION... you are free to use it or not...

Having people attacking somebody like Jennifer who try to give more choice are really stupid... let apply the "what is good for the goose is good for the gander"... allow to skip combat or remove the actual possibility to skip dialogue/cutscene/intro...

The really idiotic thing is that the proposition of adding the option to skip combat change nothing for the people who love the combat part... it is only a change for these who don't like the combat part...

Well, in a so-called educated modern world where a large part of people ( 20% in USA, 16% Germany, 19% UK, etc ) think that that the sun rotate around the earth, it don't surprise me... the dark age is coming back along with the inquisition !!! Internet being used as the modern form of a Pillory...

February 22, 2012 1:34:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Burress,

And you're posting on the boards of the perfect counter example to your argument.  Brad has repeatedly told the story of how he founded Stardock out of necessity and stuck with it because it was the best professional & monetary opportunity for him.  

See here.

People create for their love of creating, but they stick with it because they can make a career out of it.  

February 22, 2012 1:36:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Information is a commodity. It is not free anywhere. I get a good education because my nation pays out the ass for it. Education is information. Cultural media is information just the same. Specifically in the case of video games, it's hard to justify that you have some sort of right to them because they make you more intelligent. The same learning factor could be gained from books, which are not as expensive. But you aren't stealing books. You are stealing video games, because they are fun. Don't try to make this about access to intellectual stimulation. There are many ways to enjoy cultural media without stealing. You can stimulate your mind without dishonoring yourself.

February 22, 2012 1:38:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Haha, funny arguments. One guy already equals breaking the law with being amoral. I guess you got no clue about morals then. Sorry buddy but law DOES NOT EQUAL morals. Both laws and morals depend on society and culture and no way you can ever make them equal.

Another talks about I have no clue what. I didn't take anything from anyone. At best I reduced possible profits, but as I already said I cannot afford that game anyways. So no profits lost. And Brad is not complaining about me, I bought Elemental because I had money to spend at that moment and the game (and promises) looked OK as well as I wanted to support Stardock with what little money I have. I also don't troll people for fun of it or bash them for kicks hiding behind internet anonymity. No I am just a guy in early 30ies that figured out how this world works and does not want to conform to it. You can keep living in your happy place and be oblivious to the world if you like. I just don't agree with being happy that we are not all given equal opportunity when born or being happy that everyone is only chasing profits and thinking about themselves.

You look at single case while you should be looking at the big picture. Maybe one day you will understand.

As far as car example, if you really need a car in your life you can probably afford a cheap but reliable one. More expensive cars are made for the rich people anyways. I don't understand this comparison. And stealing a car directly reduces profit of its owner instead of reducing only possible profit. If you don't understand the difference I cannot help you.

Ok, library. I guess you missed the point once again. Library was an example of something that works, but if you change it slightly as I showed it becomes similar to video games industry. Why not go the other way? Why not have online services where you play 5$ per month and play any games in the list (or a limited number per month)?! I would be able to afford this price and many would. I would pay 10$ or 20$ per month for such a deal easily. Did anyone check if this is more worth then 60$ games that many pirate instead of buy?! And then another 40$ or 60$ game in the same month.

I like how free to play games are becoming popular and where you can pay as much as you feel it is worth it. Check out Path of Exile, a free to play aRPG where you will not pay anything for power but only for cosmetics or stuff like extra stash space. It will survive with microtransactions that will not reduce the play enjoyment of those that don't pay. I will gladly give them some of my money for their respect for gamers. Compare this to CoD games with 60$ price and 4h of single player.

February 22, 2012 1:39:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Information is a commodity. It is not free anywhere. I get a good education because my nation pays out the ass for it. Education is information. Cultural media is information just the same. Specifically in the case of video games, it's hard to justify that you have some sort of right to them because they make you more intelligent. The same learning factor could be gained from books, which are not as expensive. But you aren't stealing books. You are stealing video games, because they are fun. Don't try to make this about access to intellectual stimulation. There are many ways to enjoy cultural media without stealing. You can stimulate your mind without dishonoring yourself.

Again, someone says what I was trying to say in a way that I like better than what I said.  

Bravo sir.  

February 22, 2012 1:47:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
Haha, funny arguments. One guy already equals breaking the law with being amoral. I guess you got no clue about morals then. Sorry buddy but law DOES NOT EQUAL morals. Both laws and morals depend on society and culture and no way you can ever make them equal.

Another talks about I have no clue what. I didn't take anything from anyone. At best I reduced possible profits, but as I already said I cannot afford that game anyways. So no profits lost. And Brad is not complaining about me, I bought Elemental because I had money to spend at that moment and the game (and promises) looked OK as well as I wanted to support Stardock with what little money I have. I also don't troll people for fun of it or bash them for kicks hiding behind internet anonymity. No I am just a guy in early 30ies that figured out how this world works and does not want to conform to it. You can keep living in your happy place and be oblivious to the world if you like. I just don't agree with being happy that we are not all given equal opportunity when born or being happy that everyone is only chasing profits and thinking about themselves.

You look at single case while you should be looking at the big picture. Maybe one day you will understand.

As far as car example, if you really need a car in your life you can probably afford a cheap but reliable one. More expensive cars are made for the rich people anyways. I don't understand this comparison. And stealing a car directly reduces profit of its owner instead of reducing only possible profit. If you don't understand the difference I cannot help you.

Ok, library. I guess you missed the point once again. Library was an example of something that works, but if you change it slightly as I showed it becomes similar to video games industry. Why not go the other way? Why not have online services where you play 5$ per month and play any games in the list (or a limited number per month)?! I would be able to afford this price and many would. I would pay 10$ or 20$ per month for such a deal easily. Did anyone check if this is more worth then 60$ games that many pirate instead of buy?! And then another 40$ or 60$ game in the same month.

I like how free to play games are becoming popular and where you can pay as much as you feel it is worth it. Check out Path of Exile, a free to play aRPG where you will not pay anything for power but only for cosmetics or stuff like extra stash space. It will survive with microtransactions that will not reduce the play enjoyment of those that don't pay. I will gladly give them some of my money for their respect for gamers. Compare this to CoD games with 60$ price and 4h of single player.

Blah blah blah.  You are taking something that others have spent years creating.  They added value to an idea by turning it into an enjoyable experience.  You take that experience without compensating them.  You are a thief.  Yes you are hurting their profits, but that's not the point.  You are taking something YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO.  You didn't help create it.  You didn't help fund it.  You did NOTHING to earn it.  But you take it.  

Try to throw all the bullshit justification you want into.  You steal the hard work of others and use some highly flexible, shoddy moral philosophy to justify it to yourself.  

You know what most people do if its a bad month and they can't afford the game they want?  They wait.  Get it when it goes on sale.  Or they save money. Forgo a night at the bar each week for a few weeks. Or they realize that they don't want to be thieves and they simply go without.  

February 22, 2012 1:57:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,

Another talks about I have no clue what. I didn't take anything from anyone. At best I reduced possible profits, but as I already said I cannot afford that game anyways. So no profits lost.

Morality is subjective. It has many factors, including laws. I am curious to know which country you live, though your lack of honor prevents me from believing anything you say. Every citizen in a country must follow a social contract with the society. Even if your country has decided that intellectual property is not something that can be stolen, you are stealing from my country. There is a problem in this world that we are all very different and have different laws. Many laws do not follow the codes of morality I have learned, even in my own country. America has alot to learn about making sure the rich follow the same rules as everyone else. Your country needs to teach its citizens that the poor need to follow the same rules as everyone else. There is no absolute morality, but there are certain hardcoded morals in our genetic makeup. Killing is wrong. Rape is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Even though you are stealing something that is just a copy, it is not right to take that which you have not earned. That is dishonorable and on some level you know that. Otherwise it is unlikely that you would go so far to justify your actions. 

A thief in denial has only half a life. Either be a good man or be a good thief. You can't have it both ways. 

February 22, 2012 2:13:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

Quoting TorinReborn, reply 33Haha, funny arguments. One guy already equals breaking the law with being amoral. I guess you got no clue about morals then. Sorry buddy but law DOES NOT EQUAL morals. Both laws and morals depend on society and culture and no way you can ever make them equal.

Another talks about I have no clue what. I didn't take anything from anyone. At best I reduced possible profits, but as I already said I cannot afford that game anyways. So no profits lost.

Morality is subjective. It has many factors, including laws. I am curious to know which country you live, though your lack of honor prevents me from believing anything you say. Every citizen in a country must follow a social contract with the society. Even if your country has decided that intellectual property is not something that can be stolen, you are stealing from my country. There is a problem in this world that we are all very different and have different laws. Many laws do not follow the codes of morality I have learned, even in my own country. America has alot to learn about making sure the rich follow the same rules as everyone else. Your country needs to teach its citizens that the poor need to follow the same rules as everyone else. There is no absolute morality, but there are certain hardcoded morals in our genetic makeup. Killing is wrong. Rape is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Even though you are stealing something that is just a copy, it is not right to take that which you have not earned. That is dishonorable and on some level you know that. Otherwise it is unlikely that you would go so far to justify your actions. 

A thief in denial has only half a life. Either be a good man or be a good thief. You can't have it both ways. 

I am sure I have done more for my fellow man that I didn't ask money for then 95% of world population. I would still probably do it if I didn't become a cynic in the meantime

OK, you call me a thief and that is OK. That is your right to call people what you want. I call thieves people that abuse the system that is put in place. I call the system a thief.

You say we steal from your country, but at least we don't murder people all around the world for power or oil. How do you think you have your wealth? Do you really think you work more then rest of the world? Or that your manhours produce more? Do you think your life would be so easy if oil was not cheap for you and people in China were not producing most of what you use?

There is a limited amount of wealth in the world and for someone to have more someone else must have less. And today world works so that everyone wants more and nobody wants to share. Nobody cares for others, even be they from your country, town or street.

Hardcoded morals? Really? You said you know a lot about human nature or something like that? So please explain to me how murder is wrong (civilians or cops killing each other) but state murder (soldiers killing others) is OK?

Nobody got a real reason to kill someone else. If someone needs something others should provide. There should never be a reason to murder someone for something. But we do, all the time. And many praise it, call "murderers" heroes, even when they do it outside their own country.

Instead of working for yourself we should all be working for each other. You should be happy to share you work with us as well as I should be happy to share my with you. But then we would not have those who have more, would we?

February 22, 2012 2:27:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Look, I don't feel like explaining the finer points of morality, as apparently your life experiences have not led you to see the difference between murder and killing. I in fact said that the rich people in my country are not moral. That does not give you or I the right to do bad things. As far as the world has come, we have much further to go. The best any person can do is make sure they are good people and raise some good people too. I am not trying to change you or the other thieves in the world. But I also will not let you guys pretend that you are doing nothing wrong. 

February 22, 2012 2:27:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm pretty sure "thou shall not steal" is a moral code that goes beyond law, it's something ingrained in the religions and cultures of more than half the world's population and I'm sure well beyond those Abrahamic religions. So I find it perfectly appropriate to call a theft of intellectual information amoral.

February 22, 2012 4:26:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ugh, I can't believe people even act like that.  I'm not sure I'd call it 'gamer entitlement'...

More asshat entitlement.  This is why anonymity on the internet will eventually go away.  So these retards can be blacklisted.

February 22, 2012 6:07:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hepler needs a sense of humor?

I was getting trashed by morons for having the gall to lose a game yesterday.  I called them five year olds and told them to grow the fuck up.  A wasted effort, but I'm an asshole so it comes naturally to me.  They're everywhere.

I don't see any danger here, just reactionary retardation.  If anything, I'm depressed by the coverage given to something so pathetic.  It's morons on the internet being morons.  Be amused by the few intelligent enough to come up with witty repartee, and weep for your eyes over the masses that can't.

February 22, 2012 6:20:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aye, its moreso 'morons on the internet' in general. They pop up everywhere.

February 22, 2012 6:30:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Boshimi and I were talking about this very thing the other night. 

Another issue with the "entitlement" crowd is when they actively and publicly work to ruin the reputation, fun and community morale of a game because it isn't the game they wanted for themselves.

"Let me win or I'll take my ball home and no one can play."

P.S. And hasn't anyone taught Frogboy how to embed a link yet?

February 22, 2012 7:24:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,
People create for their love of creating, but they stick with it because they can make a career out of it.

That's true for some creators, not true for others. But even if it were universally true, it still wouldn't answer the underlying question, namely, whether creators should be compensated for their works only to the extent to which that compensation encourages them to create or whether they deserve more.

Quoting seanw3,
Even if your country has decided that intellectual property is not something that can be stolen, you are stealing from my country.

Don't let him/her off that easily. Croatia is a member of the European Union and a signatory of the copyright treaties. It's also illegal in his/her country.

Quoting psychoak,
Hepler needs a sense of humor?

Why should anyone be expected to laugh off criticism like Helper has received? Especially considering the kinds of insults that have been directed at her. Without knowing her experiences, etc. it's unfair to say what her response should have been. 

February 22, 2012 8:27:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TorinReborn, to you, for fighting the good fight.

Xia, Seanw3, Kantok, I fear that the irony of your entitled world view displayed in this thread will be lost on you. You and I were lucky enough to be born in some of the richest parts of the world. I'm happy for you and wish you nothing but the best in life. But don't think for one second that our life experience is shared by even a large part of the world population (even in our own countries experience varies widely based on plain dumb luck). For most people, life is pretty crappy. Untill everyone has the same quality of life as a middleclass western person, there is nothing moral or just about the values you are trying to enforce. (Not that there wouldn´t be a lot of things to improve if everyone did have that standard of living.)

PS: Seanw3, you might want to do some research on Croatia and it's recent history before making rediculous statements like this:

Quoting seanw3,
Look, I don't feel like explaining the finer points of morality, as apparently your life experiences have not led you to see the difference between murder and killing.

February 22, 2012 8:37:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why should anyone be expected to laugh off criticism like Helper has received? Especially considering the kinds of insults that have been directed at her. Without knowing her experiences, etc. it's unfair to say what her response should have been.

I can't see myself getting all choked up over what 99% of the world population can immediately recognize as juvenile, half-witted morons, but it's hardly a judgement call.  She'd just be far better served by laughing it off as opposed to running for cover.

February 22, 2012 8:46:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First and foremost, I feel terrible for Ms. Hepler; that's a horrible thing to have happen to anyone.

Second, this just feeds my instinct that anonimity in the web probably needs to be reduced.  Accountability breeds respect, and with respect comes community.  The people who post inflammatory comments like that aren't actually building any community, they're destroying it.

Satrhan, I'm just guessing, because I also happen to be entitled.  But if life is really that crappy for some folks (and I've no doubt it is), I think the right answer might be to put the computer down, go outside, and make the world better, rather than helping yourself to the labor of others to continue avoiding the issue of your crappy life.  Video games are an entertainment, which comes well after some other needs have been met.

February 22, 2012 9:04:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,

So you're saying people are justified stealing because it enhances their... what?  Cultural level?  Intelligence?  The only thing you listed that can legitimately be counted as a primary source of stimulation or education is books.  If the others are your primary source of either simulation or education you are neither stimulated nor educated.  Regardless, it doesn't muddy the waters one bit.  It's theft.  

Here is what I am saying, all of the piracy in the history of the internet has most likely had a huge positive net effect on the world. I won't make the case for all the small examples where an individual's gain has far exceeded the creator's loss (if they had one). But take for instance the biggest black hole of media piracy, China. What are they taking in? They are receiving a western sense of entitlement to human rights, ingrained in the hours of enjoyment they are "stealing". Cultural effects are pervasive, if this starts shifting mindsets and expectations and has an effect on human rights, I think the lost revenues of all other piracy was worth it. 

Quoting Kantok,
 Why not carry this nonsensical Utopian idea to its logical conclusion and say that no one owns anything and that we are all entitled to everything.  Because what you're saying is that if something can be rationalized to have societal cultural value that it is wrong to charge people for it.

That is not the logical conclusion of my argument. It is that creative media has an enriching effect and there are going to be cases where upon examination, rule-breaking or not, the effect of piracy in this instance is a net gain for humanity.

I think the rules are a good thing and I follow them, but I am not blind to the fact there are exceptions and this is not an all or nothing issue.

February 22, 2012 9:24:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Whinnihym, I'm not sure what your point is; is it that I shouldn't be playing video games but rather spend every waking moment improving the world; or is it that the pirates (those that pirate because they can't afford to buy games at least) have no right to entertainment of their choosing until they have fixed all their problems themselves?

February 22, 2012 9:29:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting psychoak,
I can't see myself getting all choked up over what 99% of the world population can immediately recognize as juvenile, half-witted morons, but it's hardly a judgement call. She'd just be far better served by laughing it off as opposed to running for cover.

Maybe you wouldn't. And maybe she would be. But not everyone can 'laugh it off'.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.