The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The dangers of entitled gamers

Very interesting article

By on February 22, 2012 7:42:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock ForumsExternal Link

Read a really good article at Gamespot today about the dangers of gamer entitlement.

http://au.gamespot.com/features/the-dangers-of-gamer-entitlement-6350732/

+912 Karma | 122 Replies
February 22, 2012 9:45:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
Whinnihym, I'm not sure what your point is; is it that I shouldn't be playing video games but rather spend every waking moment improving the world; or is it that the pirates (those that pirate because they can't afford to buy games at least) have no right to entertainment of their choosing until they have fixed all their problems themselves?

No, his point, if I'm reading it right, is that if you're so poor off that you have to steal video games and justify it by claiming your too poor to ever afford them, then why don't you put the video game down and go out and do something to improve your lot in life.  Maybe you should waste less time playing video games and more working to improve your future.  (Generic "you" obviously). 

No matter how poor you are, theft is theft.  In the case of basic human needs you can make a legitimate argument that your theft is justified.  In the case of video games, regardless of your circumstance, you are stealing an item that YOU DON'T NEED and are stealing purely because you feel like it.  

And to go back to the original point that started this ludicrous discussion:

Quoting TorinReborn,

I buy games when I can afford one, and download when I cannot. I will only live once, and I will not be a victim of my surroundings. I was born in this country to parents that were not rich, I wasn't given 200IQ or an ability to create great music or art and I don't look like a movie star or a model. At the same time I am ruled over people that care for themselves first and then their countrymen and elections every 4 years don't change shit (and they are not meant to as modern democracy is just the newest trick of the rich and powerful to make people feel like they are in control; and don't say USA got it differently as the only truth is USA mastered the illusion more then most countries).

TorinReborn isn't saying he steals out of dire need. He's saying he steals when he decides he's not patient enough to wait until he can afford another game.  Not only is that wrong, but its a pathetic argument to try to defend.  He's admitting that he can at times afford games and then saying that sometimes he pirates them instead of waiting until he can afford another.  The whole "I'm from a part of the world too poor to afford video games" argument he's peddling goes right out the window from his own words.  Either you can save enough income to buy a game sometimes or you can't.  Based on his own words, he can.  That makes his argument for why he steals nonsense.  It's basically that he doesn't feel like waiting until he's saved enough to buy another game.  

There are luxury items everyone, from every society, would like to buy but has to delay because they can't afford it at the moment.  It's called saving.  But we live in an instant gratification world where what I want RIGHT NOW can be justified by any form of flexible morality system that I happen to hold in the moment.  It's crap.  It's thievery.  And it's wrong no matter kind of victom-ideology you dress it up in. 

February 22, 2012 9:51:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Burress,

Here is what I am saying, all of the piracy in the history of the internet has most likely had a huge positive net effect on the world. I won't make the case for all the small examples where an individual's gain has far exceeded the creator's loss (if they had one). But take for instance the biggest black hole of media piracy, China. What are they taking in? They are receiving a western sense of entitlement to human rights, ingrained in the hours of enjoyment they are "stealing". Cultural effects are pervasive, if this starts shifting mindsets and expectations and has an effect on human rights, I think the lost revenues of all other piracy was worth it. 

Prove it that it's a net gain.  That's a GIANT assumption to make, and then base an argument on, with no proof.  

February 22, 2012 9:55:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Man, I don't get people some times.  It's actually making me feel conservative, like I am actually worried about the moral fiber of the world.  Oh God...I might start believing in God and watching Fox news soon...

February 22, 2012 10:07:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was thinking that you and I were in the same boat, Satrhan; we both self identified as entitled (you did say that you were born in the richer parts of the world), so no, none of that was directed at you as a person.  I do, however, come down on the opposite side of the issue from you regarding the issue of even one person helping themselves to intellectual property for which they didn't pay a fair market price to the creator of that IP.  Laws aren't necessarily there to be convenient, or even to provide justice on an individual basis, they're there to ensure that, overall, as a society, we deal more or less fairly with one another.  Individuals are always free (even in despotic states) to choose to ignore the laws and do as they please.  In Yemen, I'm sure that the price of transgressions are severe.  I drive faster than the speed limit sometimes.  It's against the law, but I do it primarily because it benefits me personally, I don't see the people I'm affecting adversely, and because the probability of getting caught is low, with little punishment.  The same is by and large true of software piracy.  If TorinReborn had a 50/50 chance of being caught, tracked, and prosecuted, it's possible he'd be making a different choice than he is.

The fact remains, though, that when I speed, I do increase the probablility of an accident according to actuarial tables, and I do ever so slightly affect traffic flow decisions around me.  And there is an effect on the creator with software piracy as well.

edit: I see the word "your" in my original post, so I can see your issue.  That probably would have been more clear if I had said "their crappy life".

February 22, 2012 10:56:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think it ironic that once the 'America' debate began, some of the heat dropped away. 

I am an Australian, born in a very lucky country. My parents were not rich and we didn't have an easy time getting by. I saw kids in my school with the newest clothes and phones and got jealous. Later in my teens, friends got given cars for 18th birthdays and such and I thought I would have liked that too.

Wow, was I ignorant.

Most of the western world (including myself as I was then) is as blind as f%&k to how the world really works. Im not talking about the cool stuff us Aussies and Americans and Brits KNOW is going on and think ourselves all streetwise. I am talking about how bloody hard it is to live for 90% of the world's population.   

I have been living in the Philippines for 9 months now and can confidently say no-one in the top 10% has much right to go moral-high-roading anyone else. Its even worse because our countries got that way because they stole their wealth in the past/mine other poorer country's ores/exploit cheap labour around the world/blatantly go to war in order to take it and basically let their governments/corporations go around and do whatever they like in order to keep their standard of living. 

I don't justify theft at all, stealing is stealing. But it might be good to take a look at how the rest of this 'mountain of human progress' someone said is actually living out their daily lives. Now, once you have looked and don't do anything about it then YOU are guilty of NOT acting on it. And if you don't want to look, well that says something about your level of how much you can confront and had better get off your white horse and go back to your Jersey Shore.

Yes, pirates are thieves. But no-one is innocent, its just that thieves are the topic here.

February 22, 2012 10:58:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow,

Some feel bad for Jennifer Hepler as they should, because nobody should have to endure that kind of abuse, and disrespect. In real life, or the internet. When i see crap like that i think maybe internet censorship is not such a bad thing after all. If anybody did what they did to her face, or over regular mail, or on the phone they would be locked up pronto.

Another group thinks she should in so many words just STFU, Get thick skin, and deal with it. That is all fine, and dandy until some lunatic that didn't get "his game his way" finds out where she lives, kicks in her door, and guns her (and possibly her entire family) down. You think something like that wont happen sooner, or later? It has happened to others in the past over far less, and more ridiculous reasons. Really?! Should she, or Bioware just STFU over this?!

Another group totally diverged, and this turned into an off topic PIRACY flame war.

A good majority of the reply's here prove the articles point.

February 22, 2012 11:08:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I believe in space aliens too--just so you know.

February 22, 2012 11:42:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another group thinks she should in so many words just STFU, Get thick skin, and deal with it. That is all fine, and dandy until some lunatic that didn't get "his game his way" finds out where she lives, kicks in her door, and guns her (and possibly her entire family) down. You think something like that wont happen sooner, or later? It has happened to others in the past over far less, and more ridiculous reasons. Really?! Should she, or Bioware just STFU over this?!

Since I believe in the right of self defense, and think any woman with half a brain should be carrying a compact in their purse...

I'm still going with morons on the internet aren't a big deal.  Empowering them with silly talk about how scary and impactful they are is a self defeating act.  They're the class clowns, laugh at them and send them to timeout.

February 23, 2012 12:26:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
This really isn't a flame war. We just disagree about the entitlement of less fortunate nations. The truth is that wealth is inherited. America has most of the world's wealth from generations of winning wars and economic domination. Alot of our wealth was stolen or unfairly gained. I can't do anything about that. I can try to be a good person. I choose not to steal. I try to make my nation better. You can make an argument that stealing is an integral part of your culture or that your harsh life has forced you to consider certain morals irrelevant. That is fine. I have been to the most hellish societies in the world and I understand that morality is fragile. Survival sometimes supersedes it. But you are not stealing to survive or even to make yourself better. You are stealing for enjoyment. Then you try to rationalize it. That bothers me. It bothers me when people sugar coat reality. This is the internet. Be yourself. Don't play the victim.
February 23, 2012 12:44:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree with almost everything above,

A lot of the things I mentioned in my post happened decades or centuries ago. However, life is not about just life or death. It is indeed for the bottom 10% but not for the majority. Considering all of us may only have, on average, 50 or more years alive, I can't see its fair to condemn to the deepest pits of hell those that want to enjoy some of it despite where they were born.

Heck, many have risen up and said f#$k the pecking order,I am taking everything I can get from my neighbors, including their lives. These people have instigated invasions and massacres. A pirate is still a thief and I certainly am not sugar coating reality. But life isn't fair for almost anyone and I personally don't think people in these situations deserve metric tonnes of blame heaped upon them because of these choices.

February 23, 2012 6:05:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Burress,
Here is what I am saying, all of the piracy in the history of the internet has most likely had a huge positive net effect on the world.

But you forgot to add that this is only obvious to pastafarians because the decline of pirates is the underlying cause of global warming.

Ergo, any increase in (sofware) piracy helps us battle global warming.

February 23, 2012 10:46:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,

Prove it that it's a net gain.  That's a GIANT assumption to make, and then base an argument on, with no proof.  

The transfer of wealth is not the only metric of good in the
world. Do you think there is a good effect on society by creative digital media
(movies, books, games, music) and it disappears as soon as wealth is not
transferred? Or do you think the people who receive the good effect in this way
don't deserve it, so it doesn't count? I think the latter view is just short-
sighted. The proliferation of creative media, like the proliferation of all
communication that has occurred with the creation of the internet, only leads to a
more connected, educated, and progressive society.

The effect of the good matters. We don't praise crack dealers for being successful
at selling crack, because their product hurts their customers. On the other hand,
someone who writes a thoughtful book whose work enriches the minds of its readers,
you hope for their success to keep doing the good. If that person could have been
20 percent more successful over their already wild success if piracy were thwarted,
but 40 percent more read it (some wouldn't have bought it) because of piracy, you
can wonder if the 20 percent more people's minds enriched is worth more than that
individual being 20 percent richer. Do you disagree with that hypothetical case?

If you make the argument, like Seanw3 and Kantok apparently , that creative media has an at best
neutral effect on their customers (mere "enjoyment", where enjoyment in this sense is taken 
to be socially worthless), then what good is it anyway? Why care if those creators
make any profit at all? If I am not addicted to their socially worthless good, why
should I support its perpetuation?

If creative media has social value, then you must weight that social good in the equation. Then there is muddy waters, because the financial reward to creators to continue to create has diminishing returns, and the social value of the good does not diminish as it is transferred. There will be cases were copyright infringement was a good thing.

February 23, 2012 11:14:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

^ Indeed. You simply cannot classify this as a black and white issue. 

February 23, 2012 11:42:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Gamespot article only tell the story from one viewpoint, and that is in support of Hepler.

I see comments on Gamespot like: "I cannot actually believe they did an article on this. Does she really think that by signing up on twitter and saying things like "You guys are just jealous of my vagina and that I work in the gaming industry" is going to bring any less hate on her? If she didn't want internet hate to begin with why would you open up a public known twitter account in the first place. A mature adult is going to see these insults as the hollow threats they are, shrug them off, and move on with their life. Do you think people who get called racist terms, vulgar homosexual insults or any sort of thing like that over the internet get so offended they sign up for twitter to address these people? No. They laugh, and move on. I mean come on, the gaming industry is bad enough as it is. With ever growing focus on casual gaming with kinect, move, and just dumbed down game play to a wider audience. How do you think the idea that games should have the option to be an interactive movie is going to go over with the gaming community? The idea is just absurd. If you want to look at someone and learn from them how to act with the public, look at Gabe Newell. He probably gets these messages DAILY for years now, do you see him telling the world they are just jealous of him because of his dick and because he works in the gaming industry? No, you don't. You see him invite people into his office for a tour when they sit outside protesting the release of Episode 3."

So she's not innocent.

And saying that you should be able to skip the fights does not sit well with me.

I care about it since if that's possible on the harder difficulties and you can use it to get achievements you DO NOT deserve(!) then that is utterly broken.

It's also possible that this sets us down a slippery slope of n00bification which I'm wary of.

February 23, 2012 11:54:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some things I agree with in this article, some I don't... in regards to software ownership, I view it like this. Publishers don't care if you call a game yours, nor will a publisher take a game away from you or try to remove your access if your just playing the game. The truth is software licenses were only implemented to stop gamers from doing things that the developer/publisher wouldn't want gamers to do like modify portions of the software or making copies and such, which is understandable, not to hinder your ability to own a game. It's like when you buy a house or rent a house, normal people would say this is "my house" but it's not, it's either the banks (if your paying on it) or whoever your renting it from... but that doesn't mean it's not your house, because your paying for it. Same with games, if you paid for it its yours... you paid for the license. If game companies started taking away games or access to them... the PR nightmare would be crazy, it could ruin a company, why would anyone buy a game from a company that takes it away?

Do to many gamers feel like there entitled to something... absolutely, but at the same time I can see why... how many times have you bought a sequel to game to find out that is was drastically different from the original game. Gamers are trusting developers to give them a game that builds upon the original game - to improve it and to make it worth there $60, not to make major gaming changes that make you wonder why this game bares the same name. This issue here is a clear sign of gamers feeling entitled because this was not a major issue, but that doesn't mean every time gamers say something negative or get rallied against something its just because gamers are entitled.

There are issues on both sides here, with gamers thinking there entitled to something, and publishers thinking that it's okay to cut content and charge us later for it or to milk us dry just so we feel like were getting the full experience. Neither side is perfect.

February 23, 2012 11:57:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm just surprised there are Bioware fan boys after they were  bought by EA and EA renamed half their studios Bioware...

Seriously though.. the industry has to remember that although yes the demographics of Gamers has changed over the years.. a large chunk.. maybe even a majority of their customer base are that age where raging hormones and a sense of entitlement are quite common.

Many companies even go so far as to target this demographic, changing a series or generally designing a game that will attract the "new" players while hoping name recognition alone will entice the old players. If they then act surprised that their new customer base are whiny brats i'm not sure what to say to them.(although DUH might be fitting)

February 23, 2012 12:37:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm surprised by some the closed-minded and unthoughtful comments made in this thread about morality and laws.

Apparently to US public school system and organized religion really are good at brainwashing.

February 23, 2012 1:07:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Burress,
There will be cases were copyright infringement was a good thing.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone -- outside of industry trade groups -- who believes that copyright laws always result in desirable outcomes. Similarly, almost no one believes that creative media has no benefits. The problem is that these debates (1) involve different kinds of goods, which are not easily compared, and (2) the extent to which infringement affects these kinds of goods is poorly researched.

February 23, 2012 1:11:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My life is so much more rational and calm since I stopped buying games until after they've been out for a year (give or take a couple months).

If only everyone would do this...

hmm....

That might not work, or, it might actually force games to be actually finished products when they are released.  Spare me the 'support and add ons', that's the bait to suck you in.  Stop supporting unfinished and poorly made products and all this nonsense about entitlement will disappear.  You are entitled to get what you pay for.  So best be sure about what you're paying for before you buy it.  Anymore, the forum promises and dreams are clearly not based on reality, so you know what?  Demo* or don't buy.

Works for me.

*And by 'Demo' I do not mean torrenting the full version to 'check it out', I mean the developer actually makes a demo to showcase their game.  Or, alternatively, you just wait long enough for the dust to settle from the release to see what actual players think about the game before you plunk down your filthy lucre.

February 23, 2012 1:31:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
Apparently to US public school system and organized religion really are good at brainwashing.

Sure, these institutions deserve some criticism, but what've they got to do with any of this?

February 23, 2012 2:03:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes. Clearly the Americans posting here came from private schools

February 23, 2012 2:23:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lol. I taught myself until college. I learned most of my lessons from comparative history. But education is really just another way of enforcing cultural norms. 

February 23, 2012 2:53:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's not quite the same situation, but I lol'd nonetheless.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

February 23, 2012 2:55:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wish it were better at enforcing the cultural norms related to grammar.

February 23, 2012 3:20:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting zigzag,
I wish it were better at enforcing the cultural norms related to grammar.

Hey, at least l337 speak isn't a thing anymore. Baby steps!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.