The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Discuss: Should Sigils be Nerfed/Eliminated?

By on June 9, 2010 2:53:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the (perhaps optimistic) prospect of a series of patches coming through for DG, it seems appropriate to start coalescing as a community on what we'd like to see changed.  I am happy to see another Balance Thread has appeared and I hope people contribute to it.

I'd like this thread to only concentrate on Sigils, which have an enormous impact on gameplay in Demigod.  Please post your arguments for keeping Sigils as they are, or changing them.  I recommend responding using one of the following options:

A.  Leave Sigils alone. (8)

B.  Eliminate Sigils. (5)

C.  Nerf Sigils (but don't eliminate). (13)

D.  Buff Sigils. (2)

(Current vote tally is highlighted:  as of 6-12-10, 7:30am EST)

You can simply leave your answer, or provide a reason.

Personally, my answer is B.  I'd rather see Demigod without Sigils anymore.  Players lean on them so heavily, they've become a mid/late-game necessity.  The vast majority of players are carrying around Ports, Locks, and Sigils from level 7 on, which is certainly cutting down on the "actual" consumable item variability.  I also (and this is purely IMO stuff here) find the idea of an insta-health boost in the middle of a battle a little distasteful, and contrary to the overall strategic flavor of DG. 

If this thread is active, I'll start tallying people's responses to the issue and post the results (a poor man's poll) here.

0 Karma | 84 Replies
June 10, 2010 5:01:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_DD-shred_demon,

Quoting 4Nana, reply 36err... that's part of what makes it more skill influenced.  If there was less health and damage items did more, then who needs skills at all?  Gogo stats demigod to buff out that aa, buy some gloves to enhance it more, and gogo 2 shot someone.  Who needs skills when your auto attacks will do 1k a hit against someone who can't stack health / armor?

agreed.

If you don't like it, go be a noob and play LoL

HoN is a much more difficult game.

June 10, 2010 6:33:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the 0.5 cast time and sigil on /off.

June 10, 2010 7:25:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@teseer: cast time could be nice. But it doesnt matter to add a cast time because ppl will still complain about this after some months. Like upgrade the cast time to 1sec, remove sigil, nerf sigil, etc.

June 10, 2010 8:43:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No  a cast time will change everything.  INteruable while running because you have to stop to cast it.

June 10, 2010 9:03:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

removing BotF is wrong

it should be nerfed instead or something

if BotF is removed,

what else we goT??

swift anklet, staff of renewal, cloak of night only these 3

June 10, 2010 9:06:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BotS, newb.

I think there needs to be a whole re balance on pretty much all items.

June 10, 2010 9:17:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The whole concept of items in demigod seems silly to me. The worth of the items can be broken down so that some are obviously superior. Unbreakable boots is a great item because it gives a huge boost for only 1500g, whereas other items that cost twice as much give about the same benefit. Maybe this is to encourage kids playing Demigod to do quick mental math and to realize that health > armor?

The items could be very easily balanced by making every item give the same benefit to cost ratio, but then you might as well just buy the stats. I guess the good thing would be that you could have good items that cost about 2500- 3500 instead of all the good items being 1500-1750 and then 4000-5200.

This is just one of many things that constitutes "skill" in Demigod, which is basically composed of knowing a few tricks which you couldn't figure out without a good bit of time and math. (always buy cur1, fs1, 10 certain "good" items, never get yetis)

June 10, 2010 9:54:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wouldn't mind gettin some people together to discuss a re-balancing of items mod. Hell, I made a HP balance mod, but I lost that like 2 formats ago, lol. 

June 11, 2010 1:37:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 5Nana,
removing BotF is wrong

it should be nerfed instead or something

if BotF is removed,

what else we goT??

swift anklet, staff of renewal, cloak of night only these 3

youve got charm of life also if there is no botf then theres alot of other favors that might be useful

also there is no nerfing botf cause the only way to nerf it is to lower the amount of health given and if you lower the health given by 20 or 400 then all you really got is charm of life so either accept botf or just get rid of it

if you really want to nerf it then you have to give it some shiny new extra ability like cooldown reduction or something at the same time as reducing the amount of health given

June 11, 2010 2:46:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

None of this will ever happen.

June 11, 2010 3:09:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

taco will never happen

June 11, 2010 4:19:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your mom will never happen.

June 11, 2010 5:57:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A

June 11, 2010 10:07:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Teseer,
BotS, newb.

I think there needs to be a whole re balance on pretty much all items.
ncluding blade of the serpent. No more infinite mana for you.

June 11, 2010 10:44:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_NinkiCZ,

Quoting OMG_DD-shred_demon, reply 37
Quoting 4Nana, reply 36err... that's part of what makes it more skill influenced.  If there was less health and damage items did more, then who needs skills at all?  Gogo stats demigod to buff out that aa, buy some gloves to enhance it more, and gogo 2 shot someone.  Who needs skills when your auto attacks will do 1k a hit against someone who can't stack health / armor?

agreed.

If you don't like it, go be a noob and play LoL
HoN is a much more difficult game.

HoN is only more difficult cause it has terrible mechanics.

June 11, 2010 11:20:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting primz,
Humm another topic about sigil. And i guess this person doesnt even use sigil in game !!! Sigil is just fine like it this. I saw lot of very good fight (like 3/3 4/4) at one flag and its very nice to fight. This game is not suppose to lengh 10min and boom...its over. Its the same thing with the fight. Imagine, a 3v3 fight at hp flag on cataract and 5sec later, only one stand at the flag !!! WOW what a nice fight. All demigod doesnt have the same hp per level. UB will gain more hp per lvl then reg. So whats the deal, reg can use sigil and not ub ?? Just leave sigil like this and please stop complain about it. You dont like sigil, dont use it !, You dont like ppl using it, kill them before they use it

End of story.

Super cool story, bro.

Quoting GM-Zen_God,
Just put an option. Sigil  on/off, as it is possible with favor items. And it would be pretty nice with other things such as locks, teleports etc.

Could you explain this, I'm not quite sure I understand you

June 11, 2010 11:29:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Splitshadow,

Quoting GM-Zen_God, reply 49Just put an option. Sigil  on/off, as it is possible with favor items. And it would be pretty nice with other things such as locks, teleports etc.

Could you explain this, I'm not quite sure I understand you

an option in the game option menu.  If you look in there, there is an option to disable favor items.  He's talking about adding options that would be chosen prior to the game starting to enable / disable sigils, locks, and / or teleports, to be decided upon @ the discretion of the host.  

i.e. host chooses to disable favor / sigils.  Once the game starts, nobody can choose a favor or buy sigils, but the rest of the game is played normally.

host chooses to disable locks.  Once the game starts, nobody can purchase locks.

June 11, 2010 11:51:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lets just make another OP favor items!! and remove shitty favors. i know lot of mods have done it

NEW ARMOR FAVOR

NEW EXP FAVOR

NEW BONUS MONEY FAVOR

NEW SKILL BUFF DAMAGE BUFF FAVOR

NEW TOWER RECOVERING FAVOR

NEW MAX MANA FAVOR

NEW "SERIOUSLY HELPFUL TO REGULUS" DAMAGE FAVOR

June 11, 2010 1:04:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting 4Nana,

an option in the game option menu.  If you look in there, there is an option to disable favor items.  He's talking about adding options that would be chosen prior to the game starting to enable / disable sigils, locks, and / or teleports, to be decided upon @ the discretion of the host.  

i.e. host chooses to disable favor / sigils.  Once the game starts, nobody can choose a favor or buy sigils, but the rest of the game is played normally.

host chooses to disable locks.  Once the game starts, nobody can purchase locks.

Oh! I totally support this then

June 11, 2010 1:17:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sigils should be nerfed if for no other reason than Dg needs a little shaking up, like when HoL was nerfed, or TB got his Fire AA fixed. If everyone continues to play the same builds with the same items and the same favor on the same map, we will all get bored eventually. I'd rather not see this happen. All they need is a cast time. 0.5 or 1 sec.

June 11, 2010 1:45:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 5Nana,
lets just make another OP favor items!! and remove shitty favors. i know lot of mods have done it

NEW ARMOR FAVOR

NEW EXP FAVOR

NEW BONUS MONEY FAVOR

NEW SKILL BUFF DAMAGE BUFF FAVOR

NEW TOWER RECOVERING FAVOR

NEW MAX MANA FAVOR

NEW "SERIOUSLY HELPFUL TO REGULUS" DAMAGE FAVOR

it seems some one has gone over the deep end

June 11, 2010 2:42:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Boxxy_Koush,

HoN is only more difficult cause it has terrible mechanics.

I never said why, I just said it is so only the bolded part matters.

June 11, 2010 3:23:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pfft... that's terrible reasoning.

"Ninki is worse than Howboutnoooo"

"Ninki is only worse than Howboutnoooo when he's heavily intoxicated"

"I never said why, I just said it is so only the bolded part matters."

Perhaps that helps you understand your fallacy?

June 11, 2010 3:36:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My suggestion

Sigil price: 500 -> 550

Sigil time of effect: 10 seconds -> 8 seconds

June 11, 2010 3:56:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

Perhaps that helps you understand your fallacy?

It's not a fallacy.

You're just stating something irrelevant.

"I'm taller than Koush."

"You're only taller than me because of your genes."

"But that doesn't change the fact that I'm still taller."

Your example is an incorrect example, because you're talking about inclusiveness.

You didn't say HoN was harder in certain circumstances.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.