The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Discuss: Should Sigils be Nerfed/Eliminated?

By on June 9, 2010 2:53:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the (perhaps optimistic) prospect of a series of patches coming through for DG, it seems appropriate to start coalescing as a community on what we'd like to see changed.  I am happy to see another Balance Thread has appeared and I hope people contribute to it.

I'd like this thread to only concentrate on Sigils, which have an enormous impact on gameplay in Demigod.  Please post your arguments for keeping Sigils as they are, or changing them.  I recommend responding using one of the following options:

A.  Leave Sigils alone. (8)

B.  Eliminate Sigils. (5)

C.  Nerf Sigils (but don't eliminate). (13)

D.  Buff Sigils. (2)

(Current vote tally is highlighted:  as of 6-12-10, 7:30am EST)

You can simply leave your answer, or provide a reason.

Personally, my answer is B.  I'd rather see Demigod without Sigils anymore.  Players lean on them so heavily, they've become a mid/late-game necessity.  The vast majority of players are carrying around Ports, Locks, and Sigils from level 7 on, which is certainly cutting down on the "actual" consumable item variability.  I also (and this is purely IMO stuff here) find the idea of an insta-health boost in the middle of a battle a little distasteful, and contrary to the overall strategic flavor of DG. 

If this thread is active, I'll start tallying people's responses to the issue and post the results (a poor man's poll) here.

0 Karma | 84 Replies
June 11, 2010 4:41:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-Janook,
My suggestion

Sigil price: 500 -> 550

Sigil time of effect: 10 seconds -> 8 seconds

Errr... isn't it 20 seconds at the moment?

I think the time should stay the same. I think potions should get a buff to cast time and a reduced cost

If you put a cast time on sigils, they lose their only good attribute. The reason people use sigils over potions is that they can't be interrupted. Potions should be cheaper because they are more difficult to use in a battle

June 11, 2010 5:06:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Splitshadow,

Quoting GM-Janook,
reply 74
My suggestion

Sigil price: 500 -> 550

Sigil time of effect: 10 seconds -> 8 seconds

Errr... isn't it 20 seconds at the moment?

I think the time should stay the same. I think potions should get a buff to cast time and a reduced cost

If you put a cast time on sigils, they lose their only good attribute. The reason people use sigils over potions is that they can't be interrupted. Potions should be cheaper because they are more difficult to use in a battle

even if potions were cheaper it still doesnt mean there better to use. there cast time is too long.

June 11, 2010 5:09:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,
pfft... that's terrible reasoning.

"Ninki is worse than Howboutnoooo"

"Ninki is only worse than Howboutnoooo when he's heavily intoxicated"

"I never said why, I just said it is so only the bolded part matters."

Perhaps that helps you understand your fallacy?

asshole

June 11, 2010 6:15:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

High HP Demigods should use sigils because the % boost gives them back more health.

Low HP Demigods should use potions because the static boost should be more than the sigil's % of their health.

This is the way things should be. Instead, everyone just gets HP items and sigils and potions get ignored.

I propose that sigils are nerfed and become a game option. Perhaps 40% for 20 seconds, 0.5s cast time?

Potions should also be buffed. Large potions should have their cast times reduced to 1.5s, and their cost reduced by a factor of 20 or 30%. Artifact potions should be 1s cast times.

June 11, 2010 7:47:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO, this is an item meant to be used in a danger situation, giving you enough time to run/save yourself.

Fact is, this item has become something to become extra agressive, leading it to one of the top agressive consumable.

Most pros pop sigil, then continue to fight for quite a while before they run.

Sigils should be nerfed to a 10 sec duration and 30 sec cooldown. Then, this would be what's it is supposed to be, a last resort item meant to save yourself.

My answer is C.

June 11, 2010 9:08:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course sigils should be nerfed! They give minions way too much health.

June 11, 2010 9:08:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just because that's how it's used now doesn't mean that's the way it should be used. It gives too much benefit as is to demigods who have high HP. Nerfing it to 10 seconds just makes it so you can tele out. You couldn't even walk back to base, making it kind of ridiculous. The time is fine. The percentage, however, should be brought down so an UB cannot fight until nothing and then another twenty seconds when a character like DA would get destroyed quickly and only get a few more seconds of life from his sigil before he's killed. Sigils make characters like UB, Rook, and Erebus essentially invincible unless you do something dumb.

June 12, 2010 7:37:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

(poll numbers updated)

I like thinking of Sigils like "adrenaline shots" (LfD) or Demigod steroids.  Helps you get out of a sticky situation - but what if there was a downside as well?

How about something crazy like:

Increase Attack Speed +30%, Health Regen +50% for 10 sec.

After 10 sec, Attack Speed is -10% and Armor -50% for 10 sec.

June 12, 2010 1:10:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nucleus Accumbens,
(poll numbers updated)

I like thinking of Sigils like "adrenaline shots" (LfD) or Demigod steroids.  Helps you get out of a sticky situation - but what if there was a downside as well?

How about something crazy like:

Increase Attack Speed +30%, Health Regen +50% for 10 sec.

After 10 sec, Attack Speed is -10% and Armor -50% for 10 sec.

sounds interesting

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.