The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Discuss: Should Sigils be Nerfed/Eliminated?

By on June 9, 2010 2:53:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the (perhaps optimistic) prospect of a series of patches coming through for DG, it seems appropriate to start coalescing as a community on what we'd like to see changed.  I am happy to see another Balance Thread has appeared and I hope people contribute to it.

I'd like this thread to only concentrate on Sigils, which have an enormous impact on gameplay in Demigod.  Please post your arguments for keeping Sigils as they are, or changing them.  I recommend responding using one of the following options:

A.  Leave Sigils alone. (8)

B.  Eliminate Sigils. (5)

C.  Nerf Sigils (but don't eliminate). (13)

D.  Buff Sigils. (2)

(Current vote tally is highlighted:  as of 6-12-10, 7:30am EST)

You can simply leave your answer, or provide a reason.

Personally, my answer is B.  I'd rather see Demigod without Sigils anymore.  Players lean on them so heavily, they've become a mid/late-game necessity.  The vast majority of players are carrying around Ports, Locks, and Sigils from level 7 on, which is certainly cutting down on the "actual" consumable item variability.  I also (and this is purely IMO stuff here) find the idea of an insta-health boost in the middle of a battle a little distasteful, and contrary to the overall strategic flavor of DG. 

If this thread is active, I'll start tallying people's responses to the issue and post the results (a poor man's poll) here.

+15 Karma | 84 Replies
June 10, 2010 8:39:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

(poll #'s added - placemarker to help me keep track of what responses I've tallied...)

June 10, 2010 11:55:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want them gone! When my shambler sacrifice them selves to bring a 6000hp rook down to 1.2k of hp, I don't  need them popping a damn sigil!

June 10, 2010 12:31:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sigils should go or at least be nerfed to a cast time of 0.75 or 1 second.

June 10, 2010 1:13:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NO, GIVING SIGILS A CAST TIME GIVES EVEN MORE POWER TO DEMIGODS THAT HAVE INTERRUPTS!!! 

FFS, GUYS THINK THINGS THOUGH BEFORE TALKING (expletive deleted) 

June 10, 2010 1:20:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A

June 10, 2010 1:41:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So why should sigils be instant cast? I haven't seen any mention why they need to be instant.

A .5 cast would be fine. The point would be so you had to stop to use it. 

June 10, 2010 1:55:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As above - gives less power to chain stunning and not all demigods have a stun.  It was mentioned in full caps in my post, funny you missed that, eh? 

The game is not broken in terms of balance by any means (read Magnus' balance post).  If it was we definitely wouldn't still be discussing this 1 year after the games release.  QoT needs buffed a bit and DA's movement speed taken up to 6.3 and then we're pretty much good other than a few minor issues (but that's for a different thread).

There should at least be one instant cast HP item given that HP is the games most important attribute.

A reduction to 40% that lasts 30 seconds is acceptable though.  

Anyway, I think this was already mentioned, constantly sigiling to get kills works against noobs so to some players it might feel overpowered if they just discovered them or only play against bad players, but you have to be careful with how often you sigil in games with more skilled players.

June 10, 2010 2:00:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd say no problem if HP stacking wasn't as bad as it is now. 

If Demigods had more base health, hp items were nerfed, and gloves n' such buffed, I wouldn't have an issue with Sigils. 

My issue is with hp stacking + priest heals + hp flag + sigils. (+ stacking priests if multiple generals).

But if you're asking me JUST about sigils, I think they should have a cast time as that wont allow you to keep running/attacking. 

I feel a .5 cast would be fine. Same as a combat health pot. Hard to interrupt, but causes you to need to stop.

June 10, 2010 2:08:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This has been discussed before Teseer.

If you want to go and play a game where damage and "gloves" are the most important items and fights between an enemy hero sometimes last 3 seconds allow me to recommend League of Legends to you. 

Personally, what I like about demigod is that the fights and ganks last longer a bit longer.  It makes it a bit more tactical, and surprisingly enough more enjoyable.

As for the chain stunning let me explain further as you are not getting it. 

Skills like mass charm and frost nova have a cast time.  Good players sigil as they see these skills coming in when in a group fight as they know that they will be immobilised and unable to escape for a while.  A 0.5 cast time doesn't allow this.

That's just one example, but there are more. 

June 10, 2010 2:13:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I said nothing about the most important items.

I'm saying it would be nice to NOT have to get Unbreakables, Nimoth, etc.

If you like it how it is, that's GRAND! I don't. 

I would love to see a game more skill influenced and less I HAVE MORE HEALTH!

Edit: Regardless, that's off topic.

I stand by my opinion on Sigils, though. Not that it'll mean anything.

June 10, 2010 2:16:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

err... that's part of what makes it more skill influenced.  If there was less health and damage items did more, then who needs skills at all?  Gogo stats demigod to buff out that aa, buy some gloves to enhance it more, and gogo 2 shot someone.  Who needs skills when your auto attacks will do 1k a hit against someone who can't stack health / armor?

June 10, 2010 2:18:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 4Nana,
err... that's part of what makes it more skill influenced.  If there was less health and damage items did more, then who needs skills at all?  Gogo stats demigod to buff out that aa, buy some gloves to enhance it more, and gogo 2 shot someone.  Who needs skills when your auto attacks will do 1k a hit against someone who can't stack health / armor?

agreed.

If you don't like it, go be a noob and play LoL

June 10, 2010 2:26:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm lovin the "If you don't agree with me, you're a newb" shit goin on. 

And, as I mentioned, if you nerf health items, Demigods need to have more health. There is a lot of burst out there, so you NEED health.

So, AGAIN, you would not have no health. The POINT I'm saying it: Have something that you give up to stack health.

At this point in Demigod, the only choice you have to make is 1 or 2 helms.

June 10, 2010 2:29:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

who said you were a noob?  I just said that your idea was shit... it was no reflection on you as a player.

also: here have the clap, from me to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bw2X1oq_js

June 10, 2010 2:35:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"If you don't like it, go be a noob and play LoL"

And hey man, if you love never buying a majority of the items in the shop and always having the same consumables, more power to ya.

I'd prefer different builds to have more of a difference then Skill Picks/1 or 2 items.

You prefer everyone being required to buy Nimoth/Unbreakables/Sigils/(most people)BotF, that's all you.

I'd like to see a build based on Attack Damage. Maybe one based on Spell damage. Maybe one that is High Spell Resist so casters can't hit you as hard but AA does. 

June 10, 2010 2:35:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Teseer,

And, as I mentioned, if you nerf health items, Demigods need to have more health. There is a lot of burst out there, so you NEED health.

So, AGAIN, you would not have no health.

Great so now our early game skills do no damage either so it won't be possible to get kills levels 1-7 till our skills start doing enough damage .  Particularly if you like playing a burst damage character like DA or ahem...TB 

What you're talking about would involve re-engineering the whole gameplay mechanics.  That is a mammoth task and not really relevant to this thread.

I wasn't saying your playing is noob, I'm saying LoL's gameplay mechanics (such as you seem to be a proponent of) are more noobish than demigod.  Big distinction 

June 10, 2010 2:47:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I didn't start it. 

"Edit: Regardless, that's off topic.

I stand by my opinion on Sigils, though. Not that it'll mean anything."

And I never said ANY specifics, so assuming anything is stupid. And yes, what I'm talking about is a whole re-balance. Just changing a few stats doesn't do shit. 

But, I'll say it again:

Regardless, that's off topic.

I stand by my opinion on Sigils, though. Not that it'll mean anything.

June 10, 2010 3:02:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

teseer stop feeding the trolls (aka shredy)

June 10, 2010 4:00:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Humm another topic about sigil. And i guess this person doesnt even use sigil in game !!! Sigil is just fine like it this. I saw lot of very good fight (like 3/3 4/4) at one flag and its very nice to fight. This game is not suppose to lengh 10min and boom...its over. Its the same thing with the fight. Imagine, a 3v3 fight at hp flag on cataract and 5sec later, only one stand at the flag !!! WOW what a nice fight. All demigod doesnt have the same hp per level. UB will gain more hp per lvl then reg. So whats the deal, reg can use sigil and not ub ?? Just leave sigil like this and please stop complain about it. You dont like sigil, dont use it !, You dont like ppl using it, kill them before they use it

End of story.

June 10, 2010 4:03:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting synnworld,
I want them gone! When my shambler sacrifice them selves to bring a 6000hp rook down to 1.2k of hp, I don't  need them popping a damn sigil!

How ur shambler can do so much damage ? I think u need to sacrifice like 6-7 shambler before rook become to 1.2k....and i guess when u will sacrifice one, he will do slam and bye bye shambler

June 10, 2010 4:03:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My eyes hurt after reading that.

Edit:

Humm another topic about sigil. And i guess this person doesnt even use sigil in game !!! Sigil is just fine like it this. I saw lot of very good fight (like 3/3 4/4) at one flag and its very nice to fight.

Adding a small cast time doesn't stop this from happening. 

This game is not suppose to lengh 10min and boom...its over. Its the same thing with the fight. Imagine, a 3v3 fight at hp flag on cataract and 5sec later, only one stand at the flag !!! WOW what a nice fight.

From what I can actually gather here, you think games would end at the 10 minute mark for some reason. I, again, don't see how a small cast time would change how long a game lasts.

All demigod doesnt have the same hp per level. UB will gain more hp per lvl then reg. So whats the deal, reg can use sigil and not ub ?? Just leave sigil like this and please stop complain about it. You dont like sigil, dont use it !, You dont like ppl using it, kill them before they use it

Having a lot of trouble seeing where you're going here. I don't use sigils. The issue with your last sentence is something I mentioned already. The only way to stop someone from a sigil is a chain stun/silence. That shouldn't be the only counter to something. 

June 10, 2010 4:06:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this can be fixed easily, make minions immune to stuns, and buff their damage output!

June 10, 2010 4:16:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

D. They should give 20% Max life for 1 - 1.5 minutes give +30dmg and give +25% attack speed for 20 seconds...but then again I like variety.

June 10, 2010 4:44:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just put an option. Sigil  on/off, as it is possible with favor items. And it would be pretty nice with other things such as locks, teleports etc.

June 10, 2010 4:48:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-Zen_God,
Just put an option. Sigil  on/off, as it is possible with favor items. And it would be pretty nice with other things such as locks, teleports etc.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.