The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stargate - Universe

By on October 3, 2009 2:36:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Moosetek13

Join Date 03/2006
+48

So, now that the first episode has aired, what do you think?

Other than the style (too BSG/Defying Gravity (camera shots and flashbacks) for my taste - it seems the norm these days though) I like it so far.

Good story line, good cast and characters, and a fresh new twist to the SG saga.

Although, why hasn't there been any mention of an actual FTL drive in the other series? If so many ships were sent out with these drives, it should have been noticed by either SG1 or SGA in their searches of the Ancients databases.

But overall, I am looking forward to (hopefully) several more new seasons of Stargate.

Locked Post 437 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 3, 2009 10:52:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They called it an FTL drive because it was a "faster than light" (like, hyperdrive) except they did not know what the hell to call it yet... since it wasnt a hyperspace drive... or at least we dont think it was a hyperspace drive... we dont know.

It was considerably darker than previous stargate shows... which was guessing it would be and not looking foward to... and the flashback thing was kinda annoying (and slightly confusing to the two people watching it with me who have seen very little of stargate before this show.)

its really cool how the ancients seeded galaxies with stargates... now it kinda makes sence why every planet with a stargate seems to look like canada... cause the ancients only put stargates on mostly canada-like planets...

October 3, 2009 4:00:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I watched the premiere on hulu, and it looks like it will be pretty good. I would have to agree with it having a sort of BSG style to it, although I would bet that will change after a few episodes when they start putting in better lights and sprucing the place up a bit.

Oh, and the part where the planet exploded? That was awesome.

October 3, 2009 10:17:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Casting and direction sucks monkey nuts compared to the first two, but supposedly I'm a pessemist.  Maybe I'll be happily surprised.

October 3, 2009 11:41:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I liked the first episode. but I already have doubts.............

1.) Im not the biggest SG expert. But the Destiny was built pre-Atlantis.Wouldnt that mean the Atlantis would have been outfitted with an FTL?? Why put a outdated space travelling engine on the Atlantis....It was definitely big enough to hold a FTL.

2.) The USS Hammond........correct me if Im wrong. But wasnt it built post- Asgard handing over their Tech to SG1. (If I remember correctly its Season 9 or 10 SG1 gets stuck in a timebubble after their ship takes heavy damage after being chased down by Ori ships. The Ori ships had no chance against the ship cause it was outfitted with Asgard Tech but after being attacked everytime they dropped out of Hyperspace the ship took too much damage to survive a shot from a Ori vessel that was going to destroy all of the Asgards legacy, so Lt. Col. Carter put the ship into a timebubble for 40 years) But the USS Hammond should have pawned the three Goa'uld Ha'tak (I think thats their actual name) but instead they totally abandoned the Icarus base crew. Considering that without an Asgard Retrofit the Ta're (probably butchered that) wouldnt stand a chance against an Ori Mothership. So logically all Ta're vessels would be equipped with Asgard Tech to keep them alive.

3.) The way to get to the ship......was a code. You basically had to dial out as if you were on earth.....totally defeats the idea of 9 chevrons. Prior to 9 chervrons. The 7 Chevrons and 8 Chevrons were based on dialing out like calling another area code. 9 is now a code. While this might change. But considering how many galaxies its jumped to. The planets that you have to dial 9 chevrons to are wayy behind it alot closer to the Pegasus and Milky Way. Also I thought the Chevrons were based on the stars in the sky seen from that particular planet....While this will answer the issue of different Chevron incodings. It makes me wonder how you can dial into another Galaxy. Makes no sense to be able to travel planet to planet if your stuck in only one galaxy.

Other then that. I like the show, infact i think it has alot of potential. I just hope it doesnt turn into a carbon copy of BSG while BSG was good when it came to Dramas. For a show about a war in space with people running from their enemies. They didnt have as much fighting as you would expect when your at war. While I dont expect this new show to have AS many fights. I do hope theres less bickering and more action. I cant sit through a "Days of our Lives" in space. Just not my taste. As well I wont look at it as True SG Canon.

October 6, 2009 6:37:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ima correcting you. 

1. the only reason it was called an FTL drive (instead of hyper drive) is because they havent named it yet.

Hyper drive, phase drive, the BSG drive (just called FTL), "wormhole drive"(last episode of Stargate atlantis), Warp drive, ludicrous speed, and so on are ALLLLL FTL drives (ftl means for the lulz faster than light... so any propultion device that propells you faster than light is a FTL drive... we just dont know what type Destiny has yet)

2.  the asguard core was one of a kind, and belonged to The odyssey. thats the episode you remeber (which happends to be the last episode)

The Hammond prolly does not even have a ZPM, and was most likely running away from the planet go boom instead of the mother ships.

3. the 9 chevrons in the "9 chevron address" have nothing to do with the location of where your trying to go... since where your trying to go is a moving ship. 7(6+1) is still for local, and 8(6+1+1) is still for long distance.

October 7, 2009 3:12:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I wasnt desputing the FTL's name. I was disputing why the Atlantis would be outfitted with a Hyperdrive when a FTL (whatever it may be) was put on the Destiny far before Atlanstis was created. They said it in the first episode, they dont know what it is and never seen anything before that before. which tells us this is a new propullsion device. But a device the Ancients created pre Atlantis.

Also the Asgard core was meant to be passed on so that the Asgard legacy would live on, Humans wouldnt take that kindof Tech and leave it in one ship when they have hordes of Ori running a muck in the Universe, especially when the Ori can smash a Human Ship with just one or two shots. While the Asgard core gives the Humans the ability to kill the Ori ships with one shot. Also the Hammond sat their fighting the three motherships for atleast 10 minutes as they waited til the Iciarus base dialed out. The Hammond then beamed all SC pilots on board and boggied out of there. The fact is, If the Asgard can take down the Ori with ease, and the Ori can take down the Goa'uld with ease, and now Humans have Asgard Tech youd think the Goa'uld even with three ships wouldnt be a match.

Now my point about the 9 chevrons, I kindof get that it was a code. Im saying though, It sounded like they just thew it together as a halfass answer. I doubt the Ancients would waste a 9th Chevron on just a code, just seems to simple for a very complex race.

October 7, 2009 4:33:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I wasn't really hooked....the characters didn't really grab me and I found the whole situation kind of contrived to get some civilians through the gate.  I like the Stargate franchise as a whole, but they are going to have to step it up big time to save this series.

Also kind of interesting how "lost in space" is a major scifi theme to reinvent a show (remember Voyager?).

October 7, 2009 1:10:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yea I was kindof thinking the same thing, Voyager was a bomb and Im hoping this show actually goes a different route, from what ive watcehed online at the comic con they are saying its supposed to be very different. The individuals are the good guys and the bad guys all at the same time. Well see if they can play it right and still stay true to the Stargate franchise

October 7, 2009 1:43:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Maybe they'll run into John Crichton?

October 7, 2009 6:15:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
I wasnt desputing the FTL's name. I was disputing why the Atlantis would be outfitted with a Hyperdrive when a FTL (whatever it may be) was put on the Destiny far before Atlanstis was created. They said it in the first episode, they dont know what it is and never seen anything before that before. which tells us this is a new propullsion device. But a device the Ancients created pre Atlantis.

It always bugs me to pull apart posts like this, but it's only for clarity.

anyway, Atlantis is big.  And while FTL drives may be able to move a lot of mass, a city is a bit much, don't'cha think?  Destiny has an old drive.  the reason that they hadn't seen it before is because it was phased out, much like how you don't see the USS Silversides sailing the oceans anymore (it's a WWII submarine, now an exhibit).  unkown doesn't neccesarily mean new.  just unkown.  We still don't know what Greek Fire was, but that's not exactly new.

Also the Asgard core was meant to be passed on so that the Asgard legacy would live on, Humans wouldnt take that kindof Tech and leave it in one ship when they have hordes of Ori running a muck in the Universe, especially when the Ori can smash a Human Ship with just one or two shots. While the Asgard core gives the Humans the ability to kill the Ori ships with one shot. Also the Hammond sat their fighting the three motherships for atleast 10 minutes as they waited til the Iciarus base dialed out. The Hammond then beamed all SC pilots on board and boggied out of there. The fact is, If the Asgard can take down the Ori with ease, and the Ori can take down the Goa'uld with ease, and now Humans have Asgard Tech youd think the Goa'uld even with three ships wouldnt be a match.

1) PLANET GO BOOM-BOOM! PLANET KILL HAT'OC SHIPS! (sorry, couldn't resist)

2)An Asgard Core, if I remember right, requires a lot of power.  ZPM lot.  and ZPMs are in short supply anyway.  no point adding the mass of an Asgard Core if you can't power it.  excess mass=less maneuverability and less room.

3) they couldn't maneuver until they had beamed everyone out.  when they could, it was too late to kill the ships.

4) they knew the planet would kill the ships for them.  why waste the ammo if you wouldn't be able to kill them before that?

Now my point about the 9 chevrons, I kindof get that it was a code. Im saying though, It sounded like they just thew it together as a halfass answer. I doubt the Ancients would waste a 9th Chevron on just a code, just seems to simple for a very complex race.

sometimes, the simplest code is the hardest to crack.  and it's not like it was an encryption, meant to deter.  it was different because:

1) they were gating to a moving object.  so the address changes otherwise.

2) to keep it from being accidentally dialed.

3) there's a specific power requirement anyway.  address tells the gate how much power to use.

now, explaining the first point on the 9th chevron, the address system works based on six points in space.  each of those symbols represents a coordinate on a face of a cube map.  to plot a path to that coordinate, you need an origin point.  the 7th chevron.  when dialing a different galaxy, the 8th becomes what the 7th was in a normal combination.  the 7th (or 1st) becomes the galaxy code.  much like an area code for a phone number.  now, similarly, in a 9 digit address, you need a point of origin, a gate address, and an "area code".  in this case, the "area code" is replaced with a special symbol, and a 9th is added to designate that the ship moves, and the path it takes.  (maybe not the path it takes, but instead like an e-mail, which is centralized, but connects from that location to wherever you are.  the 9th means that the gate is a remote connection, probably either through a relay or it is continually updating its position with the rest of the gate network [after all, the gate network does update the positions of the oter gates automatically])

October 7, 2009 7:04:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think that it will be interesting to see where things go.  However, the first two episodes could have been paced better.  It felt like I was being purposefully left out of the loop until the very end of the second episode.  At the very least, a 'To Be Continued' would have been nice.

October 7, 2009 7:06:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

When did they KNOW the planet was going to kill the Ha'toc ship? The attack took place prior to the planets core spiking. They got hit and launched SC. They only got out of the way once they realized the planet was going to blow.

Maybe you should go back to the episodes explaining the history of the Ancients. They built Atlantis after being infected with a plague created by the Ori and then traveled to the Pegasus Galaxy. The Destiny was explained to have been launched before the Atlantis.

also Ive watched enough of SG to know how the StarGate works.......

October 7, 2009 9:23:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fuzzy wins the thread.

October 7, 2009 10:41:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

3. the 9 chevrons in the "9 chevron address" have nothing to do with the location of where your trying to go... since where your trying to go is a moving ship. 7(6+1) is still for local, and 8(6+1+1) is still for long distance.

The 9th is because the target is moving?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, don't planets move as well?

The 9th could be required because of the distance, especially if the 8th was needed to provide the required power to reach Atlantis (as Orodum indicated). The ship they gated to was, after all, several galaxies distant.

October 7, 2009 10:49:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
When did they KNOW the planet was going to kill the Ha'toc ship? The attack took place prior to the planets core spiking. They got hit and launched SC. They only got out of the way once they realized the planet was going to blow.

Maybe you should go back to the episodes explaining the history of the Ancients. They built Atlantis after being infected with a plague created by the Ori and then traveled to the Pegasus Galaxy. The Destiny was explained to have been launched before the Atlantis.

I don't remember exactly when they figured out that the plaet was going, but still, it was quickly apparent that the barrage had destabilized the core.  They had to wait until they'd evacuated the base to leave, and once they started the evac, then they knew it was going.  thing about a planet going boom, is that it's big.  it's common sense to leave and not worry about the Ha'tocs.  which were destroyed anyway during the cliche narrow escape. 

and why should I go back?  I already explained that the Tau'ri hadn't encountered it because the type of drive had been decommissioned well before the Atlantis launch.  and, as you said, Atlantis had a different type of drive.  it is more advanced, if only in its maximum load.

also Ive watched enough of SG to know how the StarGate works.......
[/quote]

then why did you ask?  If you know how the address system works, then the nine-chevron address should be fairly obvious.

[quote who="Moosetek13" reply="14" id="2400155"]
3. the 9 chevrons in the "9 chevron address" have nothing to do with the location of where your trying to go... since where your trying to go is a moving ship. 7(6+1) is still for local, and 8(6+1+1) is still for long distance.

The 9th is because the target is moving?

The 9th could be required because of the distance, especially if the 8th was needed to provide the required power to reach Atlantis (as Orodum indicated). The ship they gated to was, after all, several galaxies distant.

yes, planets move, as indicated by the first two episodes of Stargate SG-1, Season 1 (Children of the Gods, parts one and two.  and no, that's not wikipedia.  it's from memory) when Carter designed a program to calculate the coordinates of the planets listed in a "map room" on Abidos after they were changed due to doppler shift.

as for the 8th chevron, I actually said it was an area code, not a power regulator.  however, the presence of an 8th chevron might control power input.  hmm... this deserves some thought...

October 8, 2009 3:26:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just saw the episode today. Who thinks the professor guy, Rush?, tipped off the Goa'uld so he could have an excuse to power up the stargate sufficiently? Not sure how well that would work plot wise, but his character seems to be set up so as to present cause for suspicion.

As for the unemployed mid-20 overweight gaming nerd hero: yay! Cool to have one's own faction represented positively.

October 8, 2009 4:09:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked it. Hopefully we are getting some old good SG fun/adventures in the next episodes and not just BSG-in-SG, but I liked it.

October 9, 2009 2:59:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scale matters.  For everyday purposes, planets don't move enough for the 'drift' to be noticeable on an interstellar level, but over the course of thousands of years the entire system can move enough to be a problem.

At least, that's the premise the show (appears) to be using.  Apparently there is a mild error-correcting system built in to handle smaller errors (perhaps the gate on the other side acts as a 'beacon' to guide you in once you get close enough?)

October 12, 2009 2:42:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1) i figured the Destiny was using a traditional FTL drive where the ship's engines propel the ship at .999c whatever. (btw, i have my own theory that if you surpass the speed of light without a warp drive or Hyperspace drive, yes, you may go back in time, by only so it is proportional to the 'time', distance and speed travelled. so, you jump to ftl, and arrive at your destination the same time you left your departure point... anyway) and FTL drives are in SG canon, there is an episode in Atlantis where the Daedalus finds an Ancient Battleship flying at light speed towards Atlantis... given, they were flying Light Speed because their Hyperdrive was damaged, but...

2) the BSG feel of this series is a little annoying... hopefully they'll fix it... i mean, the most annoying thing about this is that the SG creators parodied this kind of series in the episode '200' from SG-1... and then they make one regardless... the fat, nerdy gamer was not needed, the civilians are not needed aside from more people to die... but, if you are going to change, you might as well make it a big change... i just hope they dont screw it up...

3) the Destiny is moving MUCH faster than any planet or even a solar system... but then again, i remember hearing something about the fact that that particular gate was somehow distinguished from the rest of the gate system, so... the 9th chevron is also a distinguishing factor as well as code/power regulation whatever

and there were other points but i forgot...

oh, i also think its crappy that they scrapped Atlantis (because it was getting too expensive) just to make a new, cheaper series... may be good business sense, but its a bad community move

October 12, 2009 3:23:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

1) Even at .999c the ship could not have gotten several galaxies away in any time frame provided in any SG series.

And as you said, to negate time you would have to be traveling at 1.0c or faster - which is a little bit harder than .999c.

2) I agree.

3) Yes, it is normally moving faster. But that alone should not require a 9th symbol. More likely, I would think, is the distance (and power requirements). It was indicated that several other 'Destiny' class ships were also sent out. Did they each have a special 9th symbol, as well, to reach them?

This new series can do a lot with the questions it introduces. I hope the writers are up to the task.

But, personally, I was rather disappointed in this second episode. It was all too convenient and pre-scripted in the way everything came down to the very last second to save the day. Too much like a formula being plugged in with no real thought behind it.

October 12, 2009 5:54:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And as you said, to negate time you would have to be traveling at 1.0c or faster - which is a little bit harder than .999c.

yes, but, once you achieve 1.0c of faster, its easy as pie... just because its hard for our level of tech now, doesnt make it hard for the incredibly advanced ancients...

October 12, 2009 6:17:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TheRezonator,

yes, but, once you achieve 1.0c of faster, its easy as pie... just because its hard for our level of tech now, doesnt make it hard for the incredibly advanced ancients...

While the time dilation and other effects may seem nice, you also have to deal with the increase in mass.

As per the equation:

Mass_final = mass_initial / gamma.

And as you approach 1.0c, gamma approaches zero, which causes mass_final to approach infinity.

October 12, 2009 2:24:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting numerarius5988am,

While the time dilation and other effects may seem nice, you also have to deal with the increase in mass.

As per the equation:

Mass_final = mass_initial / gamma.

And as you approach 1.0c, gamma approaches zero, which causes mass_final to approach infinity.

Correct.

basically as you approach the speed of light your mass becomes infinite so it requires more and more energy to reach lightspeed until it requires an infinite amount of energy. Thats why its impossible.

Under real world physics it is still theoreticaly possible to go faster than light by narrowing the fabric of space time in front of you while widening it behind you. At the same time you stay in a pocket of normal space so you dont have all those relativity issues.

October 12, 2009 4:55:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Easier said, and written into scripts, than done however.

October 12, 2009 5:08:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Actually I cant remember where I read it but scientists associated with NASA is looking into WarpDrives inspired by Star Trek because the idea of manipulating space is very plausible and while the government doesnt put enough money into NASA if NASA had the funds. I bet we'd be looking at WarpDrive in the next 30-50 years.

Also the fact that Rush is being given so much freedom even though he has no consideration for the lives of those around him and is willing to throw their lives to the wind for the sake of getting aboard this degraded ship that probably has more issues then advances to offer bothers me. I was in the military (and I understand this is a show) but some civilian would not have that much freedom in a military operation. Rush would be on lockdown and only let out to eat/shower/work thats it. He'd have no alone time with the ships memory core and everything would be overseen by someone who had somekindof knowledge of what he was doing. The guy is more of a liability then someone essential to the mission.

And the IOA chick.........I cant tell you how much I find the IOA useless. They really have not added anything to the AF operations. Only more Redtape.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000890   Page Render Time: