The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stargate - Universe

By on October 3, 2009 2:36:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Moosetek13

Join Date 03/2006
+48

So, now that the first episode has aired, what do you think?

Other than the style (too BSG/Defying Gravity (camera shots and flashbacks) for my taste - it seems the norm these days though) I like it so far.

Good story line, good cast and characters, and a fresh new twist to the SG saga.

Although, why hasn't there been any mention of an actual FTL drive in the other series? If so many ships were sent out with these drives, it should have been noticed by either SG1 or SGA in their searches of the Ancients databases.

But overall, I am looking forward to (hopefully) several more new seasons of Stargate.

Locked Post 437 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 13, 2009 8:21:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well, in this case, they don't have anyone who knows anything about the ship, the language, or the technology, other than Rush.  Now, while he may be willing to sacrifice some, I believe (based on observations so far) that he does what he does in order to save as many people as he can.

(*SPOILER ALERT*)

thus why he cared who went into the shuttle to plug the leak.  and what the hell was that thing that broke off of the ship at the end of the second episode?  looked like a shuttle, but it came from the wrong location to be the air leak shuttle.

October 13, 2009 9:03:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO WATCH THE SHOW OR THE THIRD EPISODE THIS IS A KINDOF A SPOILER POST SO DONT READ IT.

Yeah I understand why there needed to be a someone to sacrifice themselves but Rush's forwardness about how someone other then himself needed to die just shows me he has a lack of morality. And what about the guy on the planet? he had Greer shoot him, not that Greer cares the guys your typical triggerhappy trooper. But there seriously was no need to shoot the guy. I think Rush was more worried about someone proving he wasnt essential and wouldnt have the freedom he had on the ship. Aswell if everyone found a way home, Rush wouldnt be able to "utilize" them to explore the ship and its "secrets" if they had found a way home he'd remain behind alone on the ship. So far hes only exhibited actions that make him look as if hes "saving" others for the sake of continuing his research on the Destiny. Basically keeping the people around that he needs to continue on. Just look at his little tempertantrum on the Planet with Greer. The guy somehow thinks hes better then Greer simply because Greer is a Airman and Rush is this BIG HOTSHOT Scientist everyone needs to get them home.......or manipulate the situations to further his goals. Look at how he turned and blamed the shooting on Greer.  As if Greer shot the guy on his own accord. While Greer wasnt innocent, and this isnt Earth, looking at it in a legal standpoint, Rush is just as guilty and I would say on a morale standpoint hes just as guilty.

I give it to Rush, hes intelligent............but to me hes bordering Evil Genius when it comes to his intentions and using his intelligence to get it.

Also they didnt explain if the other two were able to return to the desert world and then return to the Destiny, Im guessing they just left them....which bothers me that they are already skipping parts that need to be explained just because they fit WAAY too much into a show and is forced to fix the problem within the last 5 minutes of the show. I did like the latest episode but I think the writers are definitely trying way to hard to make this show likeable for both longterm fans and newcomers.

As for the object that broke off............Ill have to watch the episode again on Hulu, to see if I notice it..........but Ima guess its just to reaffirm that the ship is old and "falling apart"?

October 13, 2009 9:23:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I DONT LIKED   SGU  HAVE MOORE  DRAM  IS LIKE  SEE   BSG  , is the same  i  think sgu  only  have  4  temp  no moore  and after  that   the channel  sell many merchandising  to th  fool ´s

October 13, 2009 9:59:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Took a look at the third episode and the object that broke off..............didnt break off. It looked to me like some kindof beacon being launched. As it had an active shield after detaching and looked to have some kindof thruster. If it had simply broke off I doubt it would contine to be shielded and it would have burned up going at that speed.

October 14, 2009 2:53:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dr Rush of Stargate Universe is the same basic character as Dr. Zachary Smith of Lost in Space.

October 14, 2009 3:09:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Didn't watch the third episode. It's all too predictable. They go through a stargate every week, looking for supplies, which takes them somewhere like Mexico or Canada, they meet aliens they disagree with, they disagree with each other, someone gets threatened with being left behind, they struggle to find/barter what they are looking for, they just make it back through the stargate when the clock reaches zero.

Did I miss anything? You don't need to watch the rest of the series, the story is all there...

October 14, 2009 3:19:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wow.

Sounds like the general opinion is that SG-U is a bust from the get go.

Time will tell, I guess. But, so far I agree.

October 14, 2009 3:59:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pratically all first seasons start out crappy. Even Star Trek: The Next Generation. For the first season of that show, Picard was a rule bound idiot, Wesley was Uber Ultra Super Power Kid, Deanna had emotional problems, Worf was a quarterback in terms of intelligence and depth of character... it takes time. For SGU, they are trying to develop all of the main characters quickly, probably because they expect this current "why wont the microwave cook faster!!" society to drop it if they don't hurry along and try to keep attention spans which last as long as 7 seconds....

I kinda like the show. It is cool to have a mid 20's gaming nerd hero who states the obvious often.

It's sorta neat in my opinion.

October 14, 2009 4:02:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
Didn't watch the third episode. It's all too predictable. They go through a stargate every week, looking for supplies, which takes them somewhere like Mexico or Canada, they meet aliens they disagree with, they disagree with each other, someone gets threatened with being left behind, they struggle to find/barter what they are looking for, they just make it back through the stargate when the clock reaches zero.

Did I miss anything? You don't need to watch the rest of the series, the story is all there...

A more precise and compact definition would be: They go through StarGates and have adventures.

Like in SG1 and Atlantis.

Now with more drama? XD

October 16, 2009 8:59:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

easiest first, as for the thing that broke off, i really thought it was a shuttle... if you watch the second episode (i think, maybe first, they blended together pretty seemlessly...) it shows a shot of the shuttle from the outside, and in the few microseconds we saw the shuttle at the end of the 3rd episode, they looked pretty similar to me...

hey, thats at best, at worst... it really was a piece of crap that just fell off the ship, maybe an attempt to emphasise just how badly the ship is damaged...

@Orodum: yes, it may have been from a different part of the ship...but are you saying you think there can only be the one or two shuttles on the entire ship? you may have meant the damaged shuttle the senator died in (thank god, i hate that actor), but i cant think of why anyone would want to launch in that...

as for the two scientists who went through the gate, sure, maybe they didnt get back, but then who cares? would you really want to waste 30 seconds on seeing them freeze to death or get eaten by wild animals or whatever? they were idiots, and demonstrated that they cant take orders, so meh, its pretty easy to assume they are lost causes... i automatically assumed that was the last we'd see of them once they went through the gate.

as for Rush telling Greer (legend, btw, idn why, but i think he's great) to shoot the scientist with the remote, well, why not? the guy had the remote for getting back to the Destiny, and he's trying to run away on a fools errand, he deserves a bullet in the shoulder.

However, when Rush came through the gate and told everyone "Greer shot him" not, "i told Greer to shoot him" thats just selfish self preserverance.... though, that said... Rush is already on thin ice... people, the sheep they are, wouldnt think about the fact the scientist broke 'the rules' and tried to leave with the remote, stranding the rest of the team on that desert planet, they would only think about the fact that the 'bastard' Rush told a soldier to shoot an unarmed civilian, so i can understand why he said what he did, and in all honesty, he didnt lie...

i do agree that Rush is the most knowledgeable person on the ship... i see him as a bit of a McKay/Carter hybrid... which is really unimaginitive... but nonetheless, he has McKay's arrogance, and Carter's intelligence and 'hardness' to make tough decisions... unfortunately, these two traits make him a grade A asshole if you get in his way, and only a Grade B asshole otherwise... still, like Zelenka in atlantis said: "Soldiers, they treat you like crap until they need you to solve all their problems" yes, Rush is an asshole, but he's worth it.

As for the fight between Rush and Greer... i can understand both parties... Greer is trained to survive in hostile environments etc and, like all soldiers, is trained to hate loosing. so he thinks he has situational authority over Rush. but then Rush thinks he's got the authority because he's smarter/more knowledgeable, AND, hes worked his butt off to get where he is, while Greer was thrown there for whatever reason, and got there just by pulling a trigger effectively... so, ultimate truth, Greer should have called the shots because he is trained in survival tactics etc, and Rush should hve just called shots in relation to the mission as it pertained to aquiring the Lime for the air scrubbers...

lastly, with the speech about worth etc... Rush was right, and the Senator was right... the injured people was all but useless if not a burden, why waste one healthy body/mind so a bunch of resource drains can survive for a short while longer? yes, it was convenient that he was saving his own ass, but he's absolutely right, nonetheless, and people need to get over this fear of the ends justifying the means. the end almost ALWAYS justifies the means. if the ends are worth spending one short human life (as in injured/soon to die), then go for it. If it was my dad id be pissed/upset (excuse the understatement) too, but it does not detract from the ultimate truth of it.

so yeah, Rush is an ass who is manipulating people to his own ends, but if hes smart enough to do it and no one can stop him or see through it, well...

in any case, im sure he wants to get home as well, there is no point in doing all the research if you cant get home to utilise it. at least he has the presence of mind to fix the current problems while avoiding future ones, even if it involves lying...

and idn, everyone likes the fat gamer nerd... i think he's quite useless... its the goddamn Average Joe Hero syndrome people are going through now, they like to see average losers turned into heros... i spend enough time with losers in real life, i want my entertainment to take me away from 'real life' and transport me to a place where things are simple, where hero's are extraodinary people, and where people generally arent petty, contemptable sheep.

the fact they moved away from the Jack O'Neill/John Shepard hero at the front of the team also pisses me off...

oh well, all i can hope for is some nice fireworks...

October 16, 2009 10:32:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I thought it was pretty good so far, of course the first few episodes they have to set the tone build the characters backgrounds, make you get to know them and all that, I really think it has potential to be good addition to the SG saga.

In response to the OP, I think you'll see a lot of stuff that Ancient technology wise is different then in SG-1 or Atlantis. They've already explained destiny predates (buy hundreds and thousands of years) most Ancient technology that SG-1 and defiantly Atlantis came across.

October 16, 2009 10:52:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually I cant remember where I read it but scientists associated with NASA is looking into WarpDrives inspired by Star Trek because the idea of manipulating space is very plausible and while the government doesnt put enough money into NASA if NASA had the funds. I bet we'd be looking at WarpDrive in the next 30-50 years.

Actually, we wouldn't.  The power requirements to get a practical drive using that technique are, literally, impossible.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but something along the lines of the entire output of the sun was mentioned.

And what about the guy on the planet? he had Greer shoot him, not that Greer cares the guys your typical triggerhappy trooper. But there seriously was no need to shoot the guy. I think Rush was more worried about someone proving he wasnt essential and wouldnt have the freedom he had on the ship.

I would have 100% supported a shoot to kill order, much less a mere 'shoot' order.

Those four were going to abandon everyone else on the planet, with no way for them to contact help much less get home.  In essence, commiting deliberate, premeditated murder.  (The fact that they intended to come back doesn't play into this because they had no way to assure their return.)  They were doing so against express orders.  Their deaths were their own fault.

lastly, with the speech about worth etc... Rush was right, and the Senator was right... the injured people was all but useless if not a burden, why waste one healthy body/mind so a bunch of resource drains can survive for a short while longer? yes, it was convenient that he was saving his own ass, but he's absolutely right, nonetheless, and people need to get over this fear of the ends justifying the means. the end almost ALWAYS justifies the means. if the ends are worth spending one short human life (as in injured/soon to die), then go for it. If it was my dad id be pissed/upset (excuse the understatement) too, but it does not detract from the ultimate truth of it.

This isn't a case of the ends justifying the means.  This is a case of the calculus of survival.  It's cold, it seems cruel, it sure as hell is unfair.

Guess what?  That's a good description of life in general.  Remember the military CO 'deciding' to do it himself?  That was halfway right, because of his injuries making long term survival uncertain, and halfway wrong in that he is one of the most important people there.  He is a high-ranking officer because he knows how to lead and command people, ergo his skill set is one of the most important.  He should have recognized, once it became clear he was going to recover, that it was time for one of the most unpleasant, and horrible, duties any CO can have: order someone into harms way, knowing they will die as a result.  Because their death will save more lives.

October 19, 2009 7:33:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As it stands now, I'm gonna stop watching it after the next episode until the season finale. And I definitely won't be hanging at the edge of my seat until then.

With Atlantis it was quite the opposite. Liked it at first, couldn't stand watching it later. And the fact that it was cancelled after season five seems to indicate I wasn't the only one.

October 19, 2009 6:42:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Universe follows the standard formula of one problem after another being resolved only to have a new one show up. I think the show is entertaining even though we know the ending (good guys win... eventually). BSG spiced things up a bit with its ending and story. So I hope that example will catch on and make Stargate a bit more interesting. That said I dont want Stargate to turn in BSG with all the "soap opera" like drama.

The Stargate is a great storytelling device for a sci fi show, because it allows for the exploration into new alien worlds, cultures and technology which is what Sci Fi is all about. So I hope they start using the stargate more. Universe has great potential and I am going to follow along for now.

October 19, 2009 6:48:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What is BSG anyway?

October 25, 2009 3:12:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The episode Light seems to show some good qualities in Dr Rush, that Colonel Young is paranoid, that Chloe is a skank, that both Dr Rush and Camile Wray presumed Colonel Young to rig the vote, that Colonel Young is only stupid and paranoid but is not immoral in regard to the lottery, that Eli Wallace is like a Wesley Crusher of generation Y, and that the shields of the Destiny are far more advanced than the metaphasic shields of the Enterprise D.

October 25, 2009 4:48:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As to

The episode Light seems to show some good qualities in Dr Rush, that Colonel Young is paranoid, that Chloe is a skank, that both Dr Rush and Camile Wray presumed Colonel Young to rig the vote, that Colonel Young is only stupid and paranoid but is not immoral in regard to the lottery, that Eli Wallace is like a Wesley Crusher of generation Y, and that the shields of the Destiny are far more advanced than the metaphasic shields of the Enterprise D.

I agree, somewhat.

I rather saw the ending to the last episode coming - that the ship could withstand and benefit from a brush with a sun.

It put itself on a direct course for that star via the braking maneuver. Only two reasons are possible.

1. A slight miscalculation.

2. For a purpose.

If (1) was correct, how could the ship have survived several hundred thousand years of similar maneuvers?

If (2) was correct, then the ship knew what it was doing all along.

As to Colonel Young being paranoid, well, we'll just have to wait and see. Rush could have deduced the outcome, or he may have come across ship specs that informed him. Either way, the safest bet would be (if he had any idea at all) to stay on the ship. Was Young being paranoid for seeing (feeling, perceiving) this? Or, was he insightful?

That Chloe is a skank...  I tend to agree.

October 25, 2009 5:18:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I knew what was going to happen with the sun from just the preview the week before.  That is some pretty terrible writing right there.  Top it off with how not only did the ship have reserves, but enough to probably dwarf what a ZPM puts out considering they literally submerged into the star.  How hard would it have been to write that they approached within a few thousand miles of the star and recharged with the intense radiation and heat even at that distance?

Have to agree about Chloe as well.  It's funny that in the months before this came out we were hammered with how SG needed mature drama and what we get is an absurd, useless neckbeard in Eli and a strong female protagonist...that puts out with a guy she met a few days ago at the drop of a hat and provides nothing interesting to the viewer except a striptease in the shower.

I'm hoping the Kino that died in space is a sign that the awful interview segments are over.

As for Young, his paranoia made no sense.  What does Rush possibly have to gain by killing 15 of the crew and losing a shuttle for no reason?

October 25, 2009 3:58:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, like he really wants to lose the only pilot besides the colonel he's supposed to be wanting to get rid of, and the only doctor...

It's a soap.  BSG was a soap.  If you like soaps, fine, whatever floats your boat.  It's still a soap.

I've written it off, I'm too smart to watch something so poorly written.  Trashy and melodramatic combined with insanely predictable is way too much.  Stretching shit out over two episodes like that when it's bleedingly obvious to anyone with half a brain from the very start...

In my most definitely unhumble opinion, it's not only a soap, but a shitty soap.  BSG was at least just a soap.

October 25, 2009 4:21:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The last episode was predictable from the get go, which shows poor writing from the writers. I have so far given SG-U a chance to flourish, and Iam still tempted to give it a few more episodes before turning it off. I have been a fan of stargate since the movie, and I would hate to see an oppotunity for a great series ruined like this.

I really hope for some drastic changes storywise soon, or this bird(series) will never leave the nest.

October 25, 2009 4:23:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This show is going the direction of SG:Infinity..................I doubt itll be considered canon once it goes off air.

I can see how the sun is the best option for repowering a ship, I just think the idea of driving it into a star literally is overdone. That the shields on a ship thats falling apart is capable of withstanding the abuse of a star. And the ship solving all the problems so the crew can bitch and moan soon as a problem arises is starting to get really old really fast.

This isnt the first group of people to go off world. This isnt the first mission the SGC established. So it makes no sense why they would send soooo many crybabies into space knowing theres always a risk at getting lost in space. If your tasked with something as Top Secret as the Stargate Program, why in the hell is it 15 minutes into a problem arising the whole group gives up and starts pouting? only for the ship to solve the issue itself. I began watching SG1 and SG: Atlantis because it embodied the idea that humans overcome the odds because they are over all intelligent, adaptive, and resilent. But this show just shows these guys getting lucky episode after episode. If I wanna watch drama, Ill sit down with my GF and watch the soaps she likes so much. 

October 25, 2009 5:05:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well.... I like it.  

you all want it to be perfect now... stop trying to find reasons to hate it... and enjoy it a little.

October 25, 2009 5:39:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's growing on me, but I find it very predictable. Like I knew a whole episode ahead of time that that ship will fly into the star to power up :/ LAME

We'll see how it goes, maybe they will find some lifeforms eventually, could have some actual Sci-Fi things going on. I could not bare anotehr "Sci-Fi" show that is nothign but a Drama in space. I call that Sci-Shit.

October 25, 2009 9:18:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting numerarius5988am,
What is BSG anyway?

To answer your question it stands for Battlestar Galactica.

My opinion, blaah.  It is pointless in a "lets see how people will turn utter bad in a bad situation like lord of the flies" way.

Anyway, on a different note on the whole cheveron squences, all the series are wrong. Watch the original movie again. They dial 7 cheverons to get to the desert planet (abydos or something), which by the series is in the milky way galaxy, but in the movie is halfway across the known universe. The Kalium galaxy I think they said. Trust me on this I watched the movie recently.

October 25, 2009 9:59:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The ending of last nights episode was... absurd.  The entire thing was way to predictable.

The thing that drove me nuts the most, though, was the whole slingshot manuever.  You don't 'gain' speed from a slingshot manuever -- Farscape not withstanding -- you change it, aligning yourself with a new trajectory.  That entire section just showed a poor understanding of space navigation.  They could see destiny?  How close did it have to be to pull that off... and why didn't it plow into the planet at that distance?

Edit:

As for the jumping into bed thing?  Death does funny things to people, and making them horny is one of them.  Ask a psychologist if you really wanna know why.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: