The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stargate - Universe

By on October 3, 2009 2:36:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Moosetek13

Join Date 03/2006
+48

So, now that the first episode has aired, what do you think?

Other than the style (too BSG/Defying Gravity (camera shots and flashbacks) for my taste - it seems the norm these days though) I like it so far.

Good story line, good cast and characters, and a fresh new twist to the SG saga.

Although, why hasn't there been any mention of an actual FTL drive in the other series? If so many ships were sent out with these drives, it should have been noticed by either SG1 or SGA in their searches of the Ancients databases.

But overall, I am looking forward to (hopefully) several more new seasons of Stargate.

Locked Post 437 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 25, 2009 10:26:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

avix605: your absolutly right... and its not the only inconsistancy between the movie and the series... and no one cares.

hell... the stargate in the movie is different from the one in the series. (yes, sg1)

annnd... no one cares. startreck occasionally has the same issue... doctor who occasionally has the same issue... (insert tv show here) occasionally has the same issue. I am sorry if the writers can memorize every possible quirk that needs to be avoided... or occasionally if they need to change a few things to make things work.

And ron lugge... your wrong. our own space probes do slingshot manuvers to leave the gravity well faster than they entered all the time (and the reverse to slow down)

In orbital mechanics and aerospace engineering, a gravitational slingshot, gravity assist or swing-by is the use of the relative movement and gravity of a planet or other celestial body to alter the path and speed of a spacecraft, typically in order to save fuel, time, and expense. Gravity assist can be used to decelerate or accelerate a spacecraft. The "assist" is provided by the motion (orbital angular momentum) of the planet as it pulls on the spacecraft. The situation is similar to throwing a rope around the neck of a galloping horse, being dragged along by it, and then cutting the rope while moving forward. The horse, in this rough analogy, is quite large and heavy. [1]

in other words... your wrong

October 25, 2009 11:07:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hate it? I was all for the show when I heard they were bringing out a new SG show, hell I was all for them taking it a different direction...........but after watching the show..I know its not gonna be a true SG show. Atleast with SG: Atlantis it kept the SG ball rolling. This show has been on for 4 weeks now, with 5 episodes. How many times have they used the Stargate since boarding the Destiny?? Once.....How many times have they encountered an alien culture, alien race. The closest they came to alien was a funnel..........which for all we know was a figment of the Lt.s imagination considering where he was and how dehydrated he was when he started observing behavior from this funnel. And until this point the Icarus Crew has done minimum to keep themselves alive. So far the ship has done the backbreaking work of keeping them alive.  I just want to see the crew actually do something more then argue. Theres a time and place for the drama. But when your dealing with life and death. Youd be surprised at how many people fall inline and follow when it comes to surviving a situation they have no expertise in. Turning to a strong willed individual that can do whats best for the group. This hasnt happened in SGU even with the risk of death. They fight.

October 25, 2009 11:14:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

in dont  liked  muchh  dram ,  much  drama  the  firts  atractive  of  Sg  series are the alien  ,  where is  the alisnand the  space  combats??

October 25, 2009 11:20:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

they said their wont be the big evil alien race...the badguys are the crew. each member will be a badguy at somepoint in the show atleast thats what im taking from the interviews prior to the premiere

October 26, 2009 12:13:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

no... there will be evil alien races... but considering the destiny is on a fast track through the univserce... and generally races are constraid to galaxies... and each season is a different galaxy... a evil alien race wont be around for longer than 1 season.

I find it awesome how the humans have done absolutely nothing to keep their stupid selves alive... and that the ship... really does not care that there are people on board.

people are like... no air! and the ship is like... *sigh*... here you go...

people are like... DRAIN ALL YOUR POWER and the ship is like... *sigh*... now i have to recharge sooner... oh, and no power for you so you cant fuck this up any more.

I mean... ***k the people... the ship is awesome.

I mean... I felt more sad when the Prometheus was destroyed than when Daniel Jackson died.

I mean... well... daniel allways dies... but... when he died for a season.

I mean... when daniel died... that was sad... but when the Prometheus went boom... I went to my room locked the door and cried myself to sleep...  

October 26, 2009 12:30:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I kinda like it, in it's own right. It's Stargate from a different perspective. It's still Stargate, but it's.. new. I really like it, for some reason. I'm going to have to see more episodes (seen all 5 so far) before I make a final judgement. It's sorta been one crisis to the next, right now. Let us see if they can keep it fresh somehow.

Quoting Ron Lugge,
[...]

Edit:
As for the jumping into bed thing?  Death does funny things to people, and making them horny is one of them.  Ask a psychologist if you really wanna know why.

Psychology is such a fake "science". I prefer anthropology. They clearly jump into bed in an attempt to secure offspring.

Quoting Wintersong,
A more precise and compact definition would be: They go through StarGates and have adventures.

Like in SG1 and Atlantis.

Now with more drama?
"There's a gate. Stuff happens."

October 26, 2009 2:01:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are people still watching this tripe?

October 26, 2009 8:06:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As things stand now, i am pretty dissapointed about the SGU.... i do not mind more "serious" and dark atmosphere of the show, but until now the episodes were quite boring, predictable and uninispiring. 5 episodes and almost nothing happened, they just keep flying god knows where. Next episode is called "Water", just let me guess, what will be going on this time...

I appreciate their ambition to change things and not to do "SG1 3.0", but after these 5 episodes i think they should probably keep doing what they know best.

Right now, it is just not good enough to compete with BSG and IMHO its main weakness is that it lacks the strong story arc, which kept me watching BSG...or Babylon 5 or DS9. I am not overly excited watching week in week out show based around fixing broken ship by the group of wannabe emotionally "deep" characters.

October 26, 2009 4:09:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
Hate it? I was all for the show when I heard they were bringing out a new SG show, hell I was all for them taking it a different direction...........but after watching the show..I know its not gonna be a true SG show. Atleast with SG: Atlantis it kept the SG ball rolling. This show has been on for 4 weeks now, with 5 episodes. How many times have they used the Stargate since boarding the Destiny?? Once.....How many times have they encountered an alien culture, alien race. The closest they came to alien was a funnel..........which for all we know was a figment of the Lt.s imagination considering where he was and how dehydrated he was when he started observing behavior from this funnel. And until this point the Icarus Crew has done minimum to keep themselves alive. So far the ship has done the backbreaking work of keeping them alive.  I just want to see the crew actually do something more then argue. Theres a time and place for the drama. But when your dealing with life and death. Youd be surprised at how many people fall inline and follow when it comes to surviving a situation they have no expertise in. Turning to a strong willed individual that can do whats best for the group. This hasnt happened in SGU even with the risk of death. They fight.

In some survival situations, people work together and get organized. However, if they don't have the survival mentality, like actually realizing they are in one, then they will act like most people, such as fast food and retail customers, do: act as though they were entitled.

Also, since there is a chain of command, there are leaders to place all the blame on. And even though Colonel Young is the leader, in the sense of being the leader of the people, he places the blame on Rush because he can. Rush in turn blames him for being a dolt for not listening to him, which Major Taggard does also.

October 26, 2009 4:24:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are people still watching this tripe?

I'm masochistic, so my grandmother will have to stop turning to it first.  Tripe is too kind though.

October 26, 2009 9:15:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

so far, i consider SGU to be like SG1 and Atlantis,, but from the point of view of, like, SG 12 or whatever... you know, the expendable,  ineffective support personnell that always come along just to be killed etc?

they happen to be surviving a little longer here because the ship is taking care of them, but....

seriously... the producers better shape up quickly or they are going to loose ALOT of fans...

on one hand, i can imagine an awesome firefight with early version Drones flying out from tons of weapon emplacements on the Destiny, fighting against some bad guy... on the other hand, i cant stand the fat gaming nerd who is there for no good reason other than to entice the viewers who usually watch The OC and Smallville and Neighbors... like that audience is worth catering to in the first place...

really hope they step up, considering they've axed Atlantis...

in the end, everything is money isnt it...

[EDIT:] can anyone else not read the lower half of the second page of this thread? really annoying when the forums do that...

October 27, 2009 4:44:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TheRezonator,
[EDIT:] can anyone else not read the lower half of the second page of this thread? really annoying when the forums do that...

Don't use the Microsoft Internet explorer but use Firefox... you will see the end of the page... several topic have these issue... specially when someone copy and paste a post writen in Word...

October 27, 2009 7:18:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,

Quoting TheRezonator,
reply 61

Don't use the Microsoft Internet explorer but use Firefox... you will see the end of the page... several topic have these issue... specially when someone copy and paste a post writen in Word...

thanks

October 27, 2009 7:26:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
[...]

Right now, it is just not good enough to compete with BSG and IMHO its main weakness is that it lacks the strong story arc, which kept me watching BSG...or Babylon 5 or DS9. I am not overly excited watching week in week out show based around fixing broken ship by the group of wannabe emotionally "deep" characters.
Anything that has to do with NOT doing completely out-of-character or nonsensical stuff at whime is automaticly better than BSG.

Anything.

October 27, 2009 7:42:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Id actually be more into SGU if there wasnt SOOO much drama. If they cut about 20 minutes of Bitching and added in some useful drama. Like I dont know an alien boarding party or the F'ing scientists like Rush actually coming up with an idea to actually save them instead of playing with the battery charging device I might enjoy it more often.

I really do get it that the show is more about inner conflict amoung the crew, but please if I want to watch 45 minutes of arguing. Ill go sit in my living room and listen to the women in my house SCREAM at each other over something really stupid. Just cut down the bitching to maybe 15 minutes and ill be golden.

October 27, 2009 7:50:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to say, they really have managed to take the visuals up a notch, even without the huge ship battles (so far). The visuals when the ship entered the star were amazing.

I would agree with previous posts that the ship really is the main character of the series so far. Rush is pretty awesome too, but other than him the rest of the crew are, for the most part, generally "meh." The gamer geek is there for a reason though, he is the comic relief of the series, much like Rodney in Atlantis. Hopefully they do add more action later on, and I would expect they will. And if we are really lucky, they won't have any more time wasting, pointless, sex scenes.

If/when they are able to travel freely between Destiny and Earth, I think the series will get quite a bit more interesting. As it stands, the one thing which is in short supply are red shirts.

Edit: One more thing though that bothered me about episode 5: the autopilot on the shuttle. Seriously, what kind of crappy autopilot can't even calculate a gravity slingshot maneuver? Oh, and another thing... How they heck do they have a visual of the Destiny just after it left the star? They would A: be blinded by looking at the sun and B: they would be screwed themselves if they were that close to the star. By the looks of it, they are not even 20 miles from the Destiny!

October 27, 2009 7:58:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thats whats got me wondering how they are going to explain the appearance of all the extras once the crew starts dewindling. They got to the ship with if I remember correctly was 80 so personell. So far theyve lost 3, not alot but, with who knows how many seasons this show will keep running, they will start losing characters for the sake of keeping it interesting.

October 27, 2009 8:03:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would bet no more than 3 seasons before Destiny goes back to Earth to replenish their dwindling red shirt supply. After all, the ship knows how to give them air, power, and in the coming episodes probably water and food too, so why not redshirts as well?

October 27, 2009 8:59:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would bet no more than 3 seasons before Destiny goes back to Earth to replenish their dwindling red shirt supply. After all, the ship knows how to give them air, power, and in the coming episodes probably water and food too, so why not redshirts as well?
Either that, or we'll be forced to sit through a lot more crappy sex scenes......

October 27, 2009 9:35:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One more thing though that bothered me about episode 5: the autopilot on the shuttle. Seriously, what kind of crappy autopilot can't even calculate a gravity slingshot maneuver? Oh, and another thing... How they heck do they have a visual of the Destiny just after it left the star? They would A: be blinded by looking at the sun and B: they would be screwed themselves if they were that close to the star. By the looks of it, they are not even 20 miles from the Destiny!

ummm shielding on the shuttle's windows? , the shuttles pilot didn't think of the idea so the Destiny's autopilot is probably better at crunching numbers than the shuttles and every second counts

October 28, 2009 12:19:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The addition of extra cast will probably be done with alien characters.

October 28, 2009 3:47:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting numerarius5988am,
The addition of extra cast will probably be done with alien characters.

IN OUR DREAMS YEAH! Right about now I would kill for some frikin' aliens on that show! My grim predictions for hte show are that the ship is actually so smart it will learn to talk to these bozos, with a hot sexy female voice. *shudders at the thought*

October 28, 2009 7:26:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well it wouldnt be the first time they did the alien cast member...........its been done in all three shows prior to SGU......bet most of you dont remember SG: Infinity. Not considered canon but it was based on SG1 and came out long before SG: Altantis.....it was animated and horribly done.

October 29, 2009 3:49:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
well it wouldnt be the first time they did the alien cast member...........its been done in all three shows prior to SGU......bet most of you dont remember SG: Infinity. Not considered canon but it was based on SG1 and came out long before SG: Altantis.....it was animated and horribly done.

SG:Infinity wasnt canon in any way, shape or form, it really shouldnt be considered.

Quoting Scoutdog,

I would bet no more than 3 seasons before Destiny goes back to Earth to replenish their dwindling red shirt supply. After all, the ship knows how to give them air, power, and in the coming episodes probably water and food too, so why not redshirts as well?Either that, or we'll be forced to sit through a lot more crappy sex scenes......

rofl

Quoting alway,

Atlantis was only 1-2 seasons... hopefully we wont have to sit through any more than that...

October 29, 2009 7:17:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I said it wasnt canon, no need to repeat it as if I hadnt mentioned it. Only reason its not canon was because it was oriented towards kids so alot of the usual stuff had to be reworked forcing it to lose its canon status.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001422   Page Render Time: