The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: The Demon Assassin

By on August 10, 2009 12:33:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

clip_image002

Demon Assassin

Overview and Traits

Demon Assassin is a Melee Assassin fighting for the Forces of Darkness. He wields a sword and a knife in battle, the sword being his primary weapon.

The Demon Assassin is a highly mobile character who can quickly close the gap between himself and his opponent though the use of warp attacks. His Shadow Swap ability allows him to change positions with an enemy Demigod, throwing them back into their foes. His melee attacks are fast and have a passive chance to critically strike.

While mobile and able to dodge many normal attacks, Demon Assassin is susceptible to magical damage.

The nemesis to Regulus, the Demon Assassin is extremely fast and lethal.

Abilities

Warp Strike ??? Key 1

Activated ability. Warps behind the targeted unit and performs an instant attack. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Deadly Warp

Passive ability. Warp Strike has a high chance to critically strike.

Spine Attack ??? Key 2

Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, attacking an enemy at range. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Warp Area ??? Ultimate ??? Key 3

Activated ability. For a few seconds, Demon Assassin warps to nearby enemies and attacks them. While performing this ability, he is invincible. Number of warps increases as the skill increases.

Forceful Blows

Passive Ability. Smaller enemies near targets of Warp Area are thrown into the air.

Shadow Swap ??? Key 4

Activated ability. Demon Assassin swaps places with an enemy Demigod. Distance increases as the skill increases.

Passive abilities

Elusiveness

Demon Assassin???s chance to dodge normal attacks increases.

Demon???s Speed

Demon Assassin???s movement speed increases.

+912 Karma | 221 Replies
August 11, 2009 5:17:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The thing that makes me angry(sorta). But these abilities are carbon copies of things from DotA. Theres no real change to make them different.

August 11, 2009 5:34:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

which is why we should be discussing this... but first i want to know from Frogboy if that is even the point?  are his abilities set in stone or should we be looking at other possibilities?

(@ DemiCom  np, a misunderstanding is a misunderstanding)

August 11, 2009 6:51:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont understand why people dislike the spine atack. I also cant understand why people think it should be replaced by a support move. the demon assassin is a ruthless assassin who hunts down his enemies with teleportation powers. also he can shoot a sharp barb from his tail to... heal allies? that doesnt even begin to make sense.

August 11, 2009 7:01:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you know this game is balanced very well I bet they've done there work on this demon assassin...I mean warp gankin sounds awesome but someone on this thread had a great point The demon assasin changes spots too wich makes it a very strategic ability...really this guy sudns like a mean supporter like reg , because if you waqrp gank a DG thats in a group coming up against your group you can get a kill on someone prob by warping but you'll be sourrounded by foes....it sounds awesome to have that option though....:0

August 11, 2009 8:04:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Had to check this out... can`t wait to try him.

More! More!

(grin)

August 11, 2009 8:05:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

awesome

August 11, 2009 8:28:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks interesting, mechanics could feed into teamplay well. The name is a bit cheesy, hope it changes. Really looking forward to seeing it animated.

Is the other new demigod Ripley piloting a loader?

August 11, 2009 8:33:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shade,
What's an ultimate?

Yeah really...what's this supposed to mean. Apparently there were Ultimates in DoTA...did they copy-paste an abilitiy and forget to remove that?

August 11, 2009 8:47:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice...new alien-like demigod with warping powers. bring in his origin story as well!!

It seems this demigod the type that easily charge into enemy lines yet will have trouble getting out.... all his warp skills can only teleports TOWARDS enemy units. He may be vulnerable and can only warp so much until he's connered

he'll need some skill or stats  to make up for it, perhaps giving up spine attack for a retreat skill? 

What I see.... this demigod either has the first strike on enemy or getting beaten up by his adversaries afterwords at same time.

August 11, 2009 8:48:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nights Edge,
Looks interesting, mechanics could feed into teamplay well. The name is a bit cheesy, hope it changes. Really looking forward to seeing it animated.

Is the other new demigod Ripley piloting a loader?
Wielding a giant sword and shield I hope.

I like the Geiger influence though.

August 11, 2009 9:25:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Using abilities like short range warp and blink is a strategy that's been around for a while for many 'swords and sorcery' combat games, including tabletop. It will be interesting to see it in action here.

I personally think this DG is going to be more annoying than anything else. And the demigod swap spell may be completely unbalancing. I just hope it isn't very long range. There should be some special detriments like being stunned for a few seconds after using it, so you have to carefully judge wether you really want to swap positions with that retreating DG, and be open to attack afterwards.

Equally, the warp attack seems especially cheap to me. You get to teleport, instantly attack your enemy, AND be invincible? Multiple times? The gameplay before this DG is mostly about making it dangerous for other DGs to close to melee range to hurt you. This DG ignores all the strategy of positioning by using those warp jump skills.

I'd rather see the build be more about melee expertise. The Beast is close to this, but he has all those spits and oozes. A skilled swordfighter would be very cool to see. Similar to the Barbarian or Assasin in Diablo 2.

Another similar approach could be to use the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k as inspiration. The warrior and Lictor, etc. are Geigeresque and seem great examples.

In order: Warriors,  Lictor.

August 11, 2009 10:56:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very Nice!!  Looks to be even more fun!!

-Teal

August 12, 2009 3:45:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If swap has a long cast time it would be very susceptible to interrupts..

Love this char already

August 12, 2009 9:02:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Reaver,
The thing that makes me angry(sorta). But these abilities are carbon copies of things from DotA. Theres no real change to make them different.

I have heard that DoTa has a gazillion playable characters. Therefore, inventing abilities without any parity to those found in DoTa might be impossible...

August 12, 2009 12:28:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd heard this character was going to be named 'Dick Cheney.'

Scary.

August 12, 2009 3:42:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So when is this demigod being released?

August 12, 2009 3:53:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting hughnibley,
I'd heard this character was going to be named 'Dick Cheney.'

Scary.

Spine Attack – Key 2

Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, striking an ally in the face. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

August 12, 2009 4:14:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

Quoting hughnibley, reply 140I'd heard this character was going to be named 'Dick Cheney.'

Scary.
Spine Attack – Key 2
Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, striking an ally in the face. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

hahaha

August 12, 2009 4:28:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Comedy third option: the swap ability turns out to be useless, the spike throw ability turns out to be the character's signature move.

August 12, 2009 8:21:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting tanelorn2,

Equally, the warp attack seems especially cheap to me. You get to teleport, instantly attack your enemy, AND be invincible? Multiple times? The gameplay before this DG is mostly about making it dangerous for other DGs to close to melee range to hurt you. This DG ignores all the strategy of positioning by using those warp jump skills.

I get the idea that warp area will take place in a time span of 5 secs. since no damage is given and it doesnt say damage increase with length, I asume its just your auto atack damage being dealth. what this means is that you quickly warp around, randomly auto atacking ~10 targets(possibly including creeps/minnions) over the course of 5 seconds. that sounds completley reasonable, and even a little useless to me, more of a farming ability than anything else. also, you make it sound as if he will be able to blink all over them map as if it were nothing. if your a positioned right than at no point would a smart player warp into atack you, or even trade places with you if it meant ending up next to 4 other demigods and some towers.

August 12, 2009 8:23:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WarlokLord,

Quoting Reaver, reply 126The thing that makes me angry(sorta). But these abilities are carbon copies of things from DotA. Theres no real change to make them different.

I have heard that DoTa has a gazillion playable characters. Therefore, inventing abilities without any parity to those found in DoTa might be impossible...

the current version of dota has 90 characters I believe, every one of them unique. it would be hard to make a character in any moba that doesnt reflect atleast one dota character in some way.

August 13, 2009 12:58:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting alexivonkuciak,

quoting post
And holy hell at Shadow Swap. I see epic ganks incoming.

I think this spell is going to be a non stop frustration for a few demigods...

And think about how easy it will be to kill another demi at low lv with the swap in front of a tower.. oh shit..!

Tower rooks and mine Regulus are going to cry...

August 13, 2009 6:26:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lugh,

Tower rooks and mine Regulus are going to need to adapt their build and style.

Fixed it for you.

August 13, 2009 10:20:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if this dg isn't very squishy he could be op together with warp swap and some others stuff.

warp swap seems to be an extremly powerfull ability. wonder what is range is.

August 13, 2009 11:25:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

¿When it will be available?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.