The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: The Demon Assassin

By on August 10, 2009 12:33:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

clip_image002

Demon Assassin

Overview and Traits

Demon Assassin is a Melee Assassin fighting for the Forces of Darkness. He wields a sword and a knife in battle, the sword being his primary weapon.

The Demon Assassin is a highly mobile character who can quickly close the gap between himself and his opponent though the use of warp attacks. His Shadow Swap ability allows him to change positions with an enemy Demigod, throwing them back into their foes. His melee attacks are fast and have a passive chance to critically strike.

While mobile and able to dodge many normal attacks, Demon Assassin is susceptible to magical damage.

The nemesis to Regulus, the Demon Assassin is extremely fast and lethal.

Abilities

Warp Strike ??? Key 1

Activated ability. Warps behind the targeted unit and performs an instant attack. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Deadly Warp

Passive ability. Warp Strike has a high chance to critically strike.

Spine Attack ??? Key 2

Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, attacking an enemy at range. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Warp Area ??? Ultimate ??? Key 3

Activated ability. For a few seconds, Demon Assassin warps to nearby enemies and attacks them. While performing this ability, he is invincible. Number of warps increases as the skill increases.

Forceful Blows

Passive Ability. Smaller enemies near targets of Warp Area are thrown into the air.

Shadow Swap ??? Key 4

Activated ability. Demon Assassin swaps places with an enemy Demigod. Distance increases as the skill increases.

Passive abilities

Elusiveness

Demon Assassin???s chance to dodge normal attacks increases.

Demon???s Speed

Demon Assassin???s movement speed increases.

+897 Karma | 221 Replies
August 10, 2009 11:38:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounding pretty badass!

August 10, 2009 11:43:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What the alien said. I see many problems, as most skeptics have already pointed out, with this guy, please let us discuss

August 10, 2009 11:53:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What problems? This DG generates too much Damage Per Second? Mana cost on abilities too low? Small cooldown figures? Doesn't have any synergy with exisiting Demigods? How are you coming to the conclusion there are issues with this Demigod based on the written description of his abilities? Seriously.

August 11, 2009 12:02:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think anyone has drawn any conclusions on it's balance yet, we're just airing our thoughts on possible problems.

I'd assume his warping will have a limited range and not something you could use to pull other players halfway across the map. Like someone mentioned though, I'm just reserved about other dg's being able to pull me around in the first place. Even if it's balanced, it has the potential for having this certain amount of annoyance and frustration tied to it in the same way as stunchains and team alpha strikes.

August 11, 2009 12:23:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warpstone/cloak of night/cloak of elfinkin will be popular for escapes.

August 11, 2009 12:46:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Synapsis-dos,
What, are you privy to some information about a cost reduction on these items?

August 11, 2009 1:05:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At the moment all we got is general details of the ability of this demigod, wait until we got more in depth info including how much damage his ability does before talking about how his ability is overpower. Cos as of now no one can dare say it is overpower as there is no specific details on dmg its abilities can do.

August 11, 2009 1:08:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At the risk of sounding like a DotA nut (which I've already stopped playing), I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that many of these skills are not original.

Warp Strike is Blink Strike (many heroes had it).

Deadly Warp is a variant of the Critical Strike (many heroes had it).

Warp Area is Omnislash (Juggernaught had it as the ultimate).

Shadow Swap is Nether Swap (Vengeful Spirit had it as the ultimate).

I'm no less excited about this new Demigod as these abilities, while inspired from DotA, will definitely be interesting to add to Demigod. However, I just couldn't let slip how people are saying "oh these are original" when they're not.

Definitely a great addition to the Demigod pool, though when I read the title I was hoping for a more stealth based Demigod.

Looking forward to seeing what the general Demigod would be like.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.

August 11, 2009 1:12:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

Quoting Synapsis-dos, reply 80Warpstone/cloak of night/cloak of elfinkin will be popular for escapes.

What, are you privy to some information about a cost reduction on these items?

no but if I get swapped into a pack of enemies warping out is the quickes way out if they don't stun.

August 11, 2009 1:20:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trailer of this new demigod will be nice.

August 11, 2009 1:40:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At the moment all we got is general details of the ability of this demigod, wait until we got more in depth info including how much damage his ability does before talking about how his ability is overpower. Cos as of now no one can dare say it is overpower as there is no specific details on dmg its abilities can do.

point is if this is still on the drawing board then its important to figure out the concepts for abilities before going into balance.  if we're support to be discussing concept then fine lets do that and hear alternative suggestion for abilites and get on with it.  but if GG has already moved past drawing board and are already programming these abilites in then yes all we can do is wait to argue about imba then.

At the risk of sounding like a DotA nut (which I've already stopped playing), I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that many of these skills are not original.

don't worry ur not the only one who thinks this (have look on the second page of comments )

problem with stuff like this is what happens when someon micros to warp into the citadel as soon as then swap?  will the swaped demigod gt stuck? can it be exploited?  in DotA they simply make it so that swapping and hooking characters can't use these abilities (which i would probably support with this character as well)

August 11, 2009 1:44:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is that the skill copy from Dota's SA and vengeful spirit? Look like quite similiar.

August 11, 2009 1:49:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nothing really original here

its just SA and vengeful combined

whats this i hear bout totems?

August 11, 2009 1:50:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warp Strike is Blink Strike from Stealth Assassin

Spine Attack is Hellfire Blast from Skeleton king

Warp Area is Omnislash from Juggernaught

Shadow Swap is Nether Swap from Vengeful Spirit

August 11, 2009 2:02:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like a UB with burst and area control/denial potential instead of massive DoT. Built in criticals, presumably another base  6.3 speed character meaning 3 of the 5 darksiders are 6.3 speed with no fast lightsides (Sedna, I suppose.) and infact a 5.4 movespeed Rook.

Can warp Area hit the same target more than once? If so, it becomes incredibly powerful. You're doing damage, you're invincible, it's everything in a nice package. I'm not sure how you'd level it but  Spine -> Warp -> Area Warp seems a powerful combo. One  level of Shadow Swap for utility, max Demon's Speed.

August 11, 2009 2:16:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SyDaemon,
However, I just couldn't let slit how people are saying "oh these are original" when they're not.

Considering the entire concept for Demigod itself comes from DotA, I don't think you need to 'educate' people to the fact that some of the ideas contained within Demigod are not original.

August 11, 2009 2:25:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Considering the entire concept for Demigod itself comes from DotA, I don't think you need to 'educate' people to the fact that some of the ideas contained within Demigod are not original.

very true, however since dota has already gone through years of balance and fixes it's still very important to look at these skills and what makes them balance or not. eg cooldown times for Nether Swap or range/crit of Blink Strike

on another note: what do people think about the syncronization of these skill (not all fo them together, but set up in builds).  i can already see a few gank builds but is that all he's good for?

August 11, 2009 2:39:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheScottishAlien,

Considering the entire concept for Demigod itself comes from DotA, I don't think you need to 'educate' people to the fact that some of the ideas contained within Demigod are not original.
very true, however since dota has already gone through years of balance and fixes it's still very important to look at these skills and what makes them balance or not. eg cooldown times for Nether Swap or range/crit of Blink Strike

on another note: what do people think about the syncronization of these skill (not all fo them together, but set up in builds).  i can already see a few gank builds but is that all he's good for?

I am wondering this myself.. as the reading seems to indicate he's going to be patently weak v Creep waves...

August 11, 2009 2:50:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

However, I just couldn't let slip how people are saying "oh these are original" when they're not.

Considering the entire concept for Demigod itself comes from DotA, I don't think you need to 'educate' people to the fact that some of the ideas contained within Demigod are not original.

I can ensure you that I did not want to remind anyone for the umpteenth time again about where Demigod draws inspiration from. However, the several comments concerning the originality of the skills presented here gave me the compulsion to do so.

It's a little like how some might hail Starcraft's ideas as original despite being obvious to others that many of its aspects were inspired from Warhammer 40K.

August 11, 2009 3:03:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warp Strike – Key 1
Activated ability. Warps behind the targeted unit and performs an instant attack. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Okay, Blinkstrike.  Probably will have to do more damage than Lord Erebus's AoE one, so this is probably gonna be disgusting.

Deadly Warp
Passive ability. Warp Strike has a high chance to critically strike.

Oh god no.

Spine Attack – Key 2
Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, attacking an enemy at range. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Meh.  Does he need a ranged attack when he can warpstrike into the fray?

Warp Area – Ultimate – Key 3
Activated ability. For a few seconds, Demon Assassin warps to nearby enemies and attacks them. While performing this ability, he is invincible. Number of warps increases as the skill increases.

Alright, this is in DotA (blademaster).  Ultimate?  Fair enough I guess.

Forceful Blows
Passive Ability. Smaller enemies near targets of Warp Area are thrown into the air.

No.  An "Ultimate" should not have any passives.  Especially one that eliminates the primary counter to the Ultimate (having minions nearby to take the damage).

Shadow Swap – Key 4
Activated ability. Demon Assassin swaps places with an enemy Demigod. Distance increases as the skill increases.

This is Venge's Ult in DotA, for good reason.  This better have very short range (not more than regular towers' sight radius, however far that is); basically the same distance as the blinking cloak thing. 

Elusiveness
Demon Assassin’s chance to dodge normal attacks increases.

This better not turn into an evasion-fest like endgame DotA used to be with all the agility heroes.

Demon’s Speed
Demon Assassin’s movement speed increases.

This is absurd, because with evasion he's already going to be harder to kill than a few of the other DGs.  Give him faster attack speed or something instead.

August 11, 2009 3:24:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No.  An "Ultimate" should not have any passives.  Especially one that eliminates the primary counter to the Ultimate (having minions nearby to take the damage).
Minions aren't small units for the purpose of knockup. There are no free minion kills.

However I do agree that having subskills which only enhance another skill is bad. It needs some other additional effect.

August 11, 2009 3:56:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I couldn't help but laugh a bit at the people crying for a nerf. I can't be the only person who notices how heavily this character relies on the (inherantly weak) aspect of autoattacking something to death, yes? We've seen -no- data on manacost, HP, speed, etc. As for the originality of the skills, I agree that several are directly ripped from DotA. But how many truly original skills does one see in DotA or HoN? Most of them are variations of (damage)(AoE)(DoT)(Movement)(slow)(stun)(autoattack buff). Lion and Nerubian Assassin are damn near the same character on paper, but play quite differently. Let's let him get some actual stats before we complain, eh?

August 11, 2009 3:58:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What's an ultimate?

August 11, 2009 4:03:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pseudomelon,
I couldn't help but laugh a bit at the people crying for a nerf. I can't be the only person who notices how heavily this character relies on the (inherantly weak) aspect of autoattacking something to death, yes? We've seen -no- data on manacost, HP, speed, etc. As for the originality of the skills, I agree that several are directly ripped from DotA. But how many truly original skills does one see in DotA or HoN? Most of them are variations of (damage)(AoE)(DoT)(Movement)(slow)(stun)(autoattack buff). Lion and Nerubian Assassin are damn near the same character on paper, but play quite differently. Let's let him get some actual stats before we complain, eh?

this is true

another upside of this is that hell have some familiarity

and by himself he seems cool

August 11, 2009 4:07:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SyDaemon,

Warp Strike is Blink Strike (many heroes had it).

Deadly Warp is a variant of the Critical Strike (many heroes had it).

Warp Area is Omnislash (Juggernaught had it as the ultimate).

Shadow Swap is Nether Swap (Vengeful Spirit had it as the ultimate).

I'm no less excited about this new Demigod as these abilities, while inspired from DotA, will definitely be interesting to add to Demigod. However, I just couldn't let slip how people are saying "oh these are original" when they're not.

Definitely a great addition to the Demigod pool, though when I read the title I was hoping for a more stealth based Demigod.

So ....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.