The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: The Demon Assassin

By on August 10, 2009 12:33:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

clip_image002

Demon Assassin

Overview and Traits

Demon Assassin is a Melee Assassin fighting for the Forces of Darkness. He wields a sword and a knife in battle, the sword being his primary weapon.

The Demon Assassin is a highly mobile character who can quickly close the gap between himself and his opponent though the use of warp attacks. His Shadow Swap ability allows him to change positions with an enemy Demigod, throwing them back into their foes. His melee attacks are fast and have a passive chance to critically strike.

While mobile and able to dodge many normal attacks, Demon Assassin is susceptible to magical damage.

The nemesis to Regulus, the Demon Assassin is extremely fast and lethal.

Abilities

Warp Strike ??? Key 1

Activated ability. Warps behind the targeted unit and performs an instant attack. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Deadly Warp

Passive ability. Warp Strike has a high chance to critically strike.

Spine Attack ??? Key 2

Activated ability. Launches a barb from his tail, attacking an enemy at range. Damage dealt increases as the skill increases.

Warp Area ??? Ultimate ??? Key 3

Activated ability. For a few seconds, Demon Assassin warps to nearby enemies and attacks them. While performing this ability, he is invincible. Number of warps increases as the skill increases.

Forceful Blows

Passive Ability. Smaller enemies near targets of Warp Area are thrown into the air.

Shadow Swap ??? Key 4

Activated ability. Demon Assassin swaps places with an enemy Demigod. Distance increases as the skill increases.

Passive abilities

Elusiveness

Demon Assassin???s chance to dodge normal attacks increases.

Demon???s Speed

Demon Assassin???s movement speed increases.

Locked Post 221 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 10, 2009 5:45:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As for balance, it depends heavily on the range of the abilities/cooldowns/damage, all of which we don't know.

August 10, 2009 5:46:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cool cant wait

August 10, 2009 6:16:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks very good and original.  Can't wait to play it.

August 10, 2009 6:22:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now THIS is positive news!

I can see how the strategies will deepen after the introduction of this character into the DG-territory.

August 10, 2009 6:51:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sweet

August 10, 2009 7:27:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as much as I want to bash shadow step I want to see it in action first. Don't pull a sedna and have 1-2 abilities rise above the rest, I can see his tail ability never used, while builds just surround shadow step.

August 10, 2009 7:36:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wat? he has 3 warps? am i reading this right?

August 10, 2009 7:43:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm sure it would have a range on the "swap" ability.  Unless teamed with someone else, it does not seem all that OP.  If your trying to escape, a swap would be instant Panic-Button.  With one of these on each team, or even doubles on the same team, things could get insane (in a good way).

August 10, 2009 7:53:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So I'm guessing "Demon Assassin" is his code name. Any chance of a real name sometime before he's released?
(Unless I'm mistaken in my guess of course.)

Also this guy&Rook.

Pulling enemies directly under a Hammer Slam - Oh yes.

August 10, 2009 8:15:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow that looks sweet. I'm guessing it will have low health to make up for being able to dodge and TELEPORT ALL OVER THE PLACE!!1

August 10, 2009 8:20:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i was thinking about this most of the day and i don't really see the point of the Spine Attack.  if u split up the abilities they go:

Warp Strike (Nuke, Chase)

Spline Attack (Nuke, Finisher)

Warp Area (solo finisher, AoE)

Shadow Swap (Excape, Gank)

so Spine Attack is the one move that already has roles filled by his other abilities.  also none of his abilities have any support/buff (like heal or slow or something).  my suggestions would be to replace Spline Attack with either something that slows (which IMO would make him imba) or maybe a targetable ability that increases Demigod Regen by say 200% or something.  it can still be a Spike coming from his tail animation but this way its not so much another nuke in his arsonal but more a quick escape and heal tactical move.

this might also open up more builds for him like going Shadow Swap and Healing Spline (warping a UB into the middle of a few demigods then increasing his regen so he can survive and kill them all with ooze?)  just saying... whats the point of all these nukes if he can't be a team player?

August 10, 2009 8:20:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kitkun,

Wut?

Exactly

August 10, 2009 8:21:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hopefully there is a shadow-swap immunity for a few seconds after a demigod gets tele-switched. This would stop the chain tele-switching people have been worried about.

The mana cost i think will be massive, but we need to remember that HE switches too. He could easily get put in a bad situation if used at the wrong time AND has to run back from where he teleported. He is in danger too when he uses this ability. It will be game changing, but if the mana cost is high, and there is a kind of Tele-IMMUNITY cooldown then it should be fine.

I am more worried about crits and evasiveness. The guy could stack some serious damage and be able to run into anything really if he stacked hp.

IF they make magic damage do 1.2X damage then maybe this will balance out? It seems like they are hinting at this? Could this be a new game mechanic  to balance out what some people think of as overpowered lategame unclean builds?(not saying i agree he is OP...maybe a little late game...poor queen).

August 10, 2009 8:22:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also, i guess shadow warp is an intereupt? That is useful.

August 10, 2009 8:28:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I see shadow swap needing serious restrictions to be balanced if possible at all. Immunity to Stuns/Roots/Warps for some time after it to prevent chain warping and to lower the mass gank ratio, though even then unless you are an EB with mass charm or TB with frost, you're likely not getting back away again.

It would need to have quite limited range, so that you can see it coming when the shadow assassin runs up to you, rather then as soon as he sees you. It seems worse then a stun to me since it can be done over what seems to be quite a bit of range, allowing you to pull people into traps. Though I'd like to see a reg sitting on 12-18 mines get swaped with an assassin, oh the LOLs.

Based on the rest of his abilities, very low hp and mana would be required.

I guess we just see how it plays out and what the cooldowns/cast time/mana costs/range will be.

August 10, 2009 8:35:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shadow Swap – Key 4

Activated ability. Demon Assassin swaps places with an enemy Demigod. Distance increases as the skill increases.

but i wanna swap with my allies aswell

August 10, 2009 8:44:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I see shadow swap needing serious restrictions to be balanced if possible at all. Immunity to Stuns/Roots/Warps for some time after it to prevent chain warping and to lower the mass gank ratio, though even then unless you are an EB with mass charm or TB with frost, you're likely not getting back away again.

actualt if u look at Nether Swap as an example:  the whole functionality of it is based on range, being able to gank a target before they see u if whats its all about.  tghe limit comes in cool down and mana cost.  Nether Swap has like a 45 sec cool down and costs (roughly)  a lot of mana.  this means that in order to exicute probably u will get one chance to pull it off... and if u pull it off too soon or too late then ur left with little to no mana. 

on another note who ever is testing this manke sure to thourghly test it with other blink abilities like say the cloak of Elfinskin.  thoughs who played dota might remember the days of Nether Swap + Blink Dagger = Stuck.  like blinking into the trees and swapping them in to they get stuck.

August 10, 2009 9:06:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, brilliant. Can't wait to see this guy in action - judging from the picture and ability descriptions, it sounds like another unique and interesting play style to add to the already excellent mix.

Also, I think any discussion of balance for this character should wait until we, you know, have seen the character and a complete description of their abilities and stats. Things like cooldown, mana cost, range, damage, etc. are where balance is achieved - not in a brief preview with basic descriptions.

August 10, 2009 9:09:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheScottishAlien,
love the idea... but one point to make:

Warp Strike is Blink Strike from Stealth Assassin

Spine Attack is Hellfire Blast from Skeleton king

Warp Area is Omnislash from Juggernaught

Shadow Swap is Nether Swap from Vengeful Spirit

And someone has the EXACT same thought as I do. Putting together all those DotA heroes in one is quite an undertaking. I dont like the idea of this guy, his EXACT idea. The concept is awesome, now those Totems are gonna get spammed, woo love those. But as the use of them, its such a sad thing in my eyes to see so many things Cloned into this guy... And due to leaked pictures during Beta I already know who the General is...

August 10, 2009 10:04:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He looks pretty good, but if he's a melee assassin why does he have a ranged damaging attack that does more damage with level?

I think the ranged attack should be change to deal minimal damage and have another effect, such as slowed movement speed.  Or even better -- make the DG effected approach the assassin for x seconds.

August 10, 2009 10:07:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just hope shadow swap has at least a 1.0 second cast time. I really think that clutch interrupts on this guy to save your team would add a neat level of depth, not to mention you could artificially increase the range of the ability this way (since it would counter movement during the cast time) without giving it a crazy base range. Also it would give the person being teleported time to move somewhere clever, like onto mines.

August 10, 2009 10:15:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I could see some lulz potential if you start casting it while someone is teleporting back to their health crystal.

August 10, 2009 10:20:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

jizzed in mah pants just now.  do we get an origin story?  also. i bet 500 favor points on it being like QoT in the sense that it is gonna be weak without mana spamming abilities (i.e wont take alot of hits unless u have shield or in this case, warping)

also, i can see rooks running up to enemy towers to "transfer structure" but all of a sudden get interrupted and teleported deep behind enemy lines.  muhahha, run u slow rook, run.

August 10, 2009 10:30:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Looks awesome.

August 10, 2009 10:51:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

quick question to Frogboy:

is this threat to show off the Demigod in development? or is it to discuss our thoughts on the concept of this Demigod?

AKA r we support to be praising the work or discussing the problems?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: