The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Dawn of Discovery is Fun!

By on July 20, 2009 5:22:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I have been a big fan of the Anno series since the beginning, so I was very excited to hear about Dawn of Discovery, and even more excited when I found out it was coming to Impulse.

Right now I’m playing through the campaign, but the open gameplay is also very fun.

If you press F1, you can go into a “postcard” mode which will take some beautiful screenshots as shown below. 

screenshot0000

screenshot0001

+462 Karma | 129 Replies
July 20, 2009 6:43:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I've liked the Anno series, this one is good too.

July 20, 2009 6:48:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think I'm going to skip this game. It has TAGES with machine limit activation.

You go and enjoy. Let me know if TAGES gives you any problems (as I would like to know of any and all risks/problems it might give my machine if I do get it).

July 20, 2009 6:51:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lack of Multiplayer and its DRM are preventing me from buying it .

July 20, 2009 7:38:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, it is fun, Island Dog and thanks for the screenies. Even the Nintendo DS and Wii versions are getting good reviews.

I only have the demo at the moment. Even though I like it, I will probably wait a long while before buying the game itself. Two reasons, first is the DRM and second is there seems to be some omissions at the moment.

1. The Tages DRM: is either a game breaker or an annoyance depending. At the moment, purchasers cannot activate the game they bought because the Ubisoft authentication servers are down. This is how the Tages DRM can be a game breaker.

2. Posts on the official forum wonder where the help files and additional documentation you get when you register is hiding. Either it has not been released yet, or there is another Ubisoft server problem involved. Or worse.

3. There seems to be no map creator. Maps do get randomly generated, but the map creator mentioned during development has not shown up yet. Feedback seems to suggest it will not.

Yes, I like the game. I recommend the demo if your machine can run it. For me, though waiting is the best strategy.

A. The DRM situation may improve given the problems with the Ubisoft servers. Perhaps they will seek to reduce their problems by letting Impulse sell it without the Tages DRM?

B. I also want to see the promised help files and additonal documentation show up.

C. I also want to see a "Pause" command implemented. At the moment there seems to be none that I can find, even by thrashing forums.

July 20, 2009 8:18:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Damn you Island Dog !

The game looks fantastic, but I won't give in. Activation limits are not my thing, nor do I wish to be charged for phoning support once the limit of three is reached. So tempting, but I have to draw a line on principle.

July 20, 2009 10:56:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hopefully tomorrow after I get my new pc and buy it tomorrow things will work out nicely... if not more time to Arma 2 and Empire Total War!

July 21, 2009 3:59:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't like the fact that you "plop" down buildings just like that. Its supposed to be a city sim. What kind of a city sim has insta-construction? I can just materialize entire neighbourhoods out of thin air!

Bah. Everything is geared towards those hyperactive kids with the attention span of a duck these days. Speed, speed, speed. Yuck.

July 21, 2009 9:46:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Attention span of a duck?

BTW, official sticky post on the english anno 1404 forum for today says the Tages DRM servers are down again! They are sorry about this, etc.

Sounds like a good time for Stardock to preach unto them the true Impulse religion!

July 21, 2009 10:02:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ManSh00ter,
I don't like the fact that you "plop" down buildings just like that. Its supposed to be a city sim. What kind of a city sim has insta-construction? I can just materialize entire neighbourhoods out of thin air!

Bah. Everything is geared towards those hyperactive kids with the attention span of a duck these days. Speed, speed, speed. Yuck.

Err, how about you try the game before saying that? Getting a large city running will literally take you days of playing, and hurrying things will most likely just leave you with an empty wallet and angry population.

July 21, 2009 11:34:44 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

BTW, official sticky post on the english anno 1404 forum for today says the Tages DRM servers are down again! They are sorry about this, etc.

They're back up as of early this morning.

July 21, 2009 2:44:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can confirm that this game is a really engrossing time-eater!  hehe 

Be careful, or it'll be the next day and you won't have slept a wink yet. 

July 21, 2009 3:32:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Unless the servers go down, inwhich case you can sleep all you want!

It does look purdy though...when you reckon they'll remove the DRM?

July 21, 2009 3:40:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have the Wii version and it's just right - they nailed both the controls and the gfx.  It's not just a cheap spinoff.

Anno games are definitely worth getting!

July 21, 2009 5:29:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had it pre-ordered.

Lack of MP caused me to cancel my pre-order.  Why would I "upgrade" to 1404 when I'm happily playing 1701 with my friends right now?

On top of that, the machine limit activation kills it for me.

No Dawn of Discovery / 1404 for me!

July 21, 2009 5:59:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I *have* tried the game - its just not my style. I like to see some dynamic content within my city, not just ambling citizens, an occasional cart going by and preset building animations. That, plus there is no sense of actually building a city - all the structures just appear out of thin air and the cost is deducted from your storehouse via magical teleportation nodes I assume. Settlers are a much better "city" sim than this.

Music is good though, as are the visuals. Basically, by my definition of a city sim, this is a very pretty, very nice sounding Settlers regurgitation. No wonder since its done by Bluebyte. They probably wanted to "streamline" stuff with the Anno series. Gah. Gone are the days when you had to actually send out prospectors to find ore and resource deposits...

Would it be so difficult to actually make a city sim where you plan out your city and then watch the newcomers build their own huts on allocated grounds, see them upgrading their buildings, and actually construct the special buildings you have ordered? Where tearing down buildings also costs money and time? So that you can't instantly correct your planning mistakes, perhaps? Traffic congestion maybe? A bustling city like that, with all those carts and that narrow main street...

I found this game very easy, even on the hardest possible difficulty setting. It only gets more complicated later on, but if you plan stuff ahead a little you can't really go wrong. Its also really daft that production buildings don't require any food. I guess they have robots working there. So you can have an island full of hemp plantations all happily producing without a single bite of food in the storehouses. I guess they are so high on the stuff they don't notice they're starving.

July 23, 2009 12:33:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've bought 1503 and they've promised for a long time to get multiplayer . I didn't buy the game expecting it but would've loved. No multi is a game-breaker for me. Not another Anno without it.

July 23, 2009 1:19:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I loved 1701, 1404 looks great. I'll gladly pick the game up... just as soon as they drop the install limit. Until then, well, I don't rent PC games.

As for multiplayer, having played a few games of MP 1701 let me just say: there's nothing more pointless than multiplayer in a city builder.

July 23, 2009 6:24:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vinraith,
I loved 1701, 1404 looks great. I'll gladly pick the game up... just as soon as they drop the install limit. Until then, well, I don't rent PC games.

As for multiplayer, having played a few games of MP 1701 let me just say: there's nothing more pointless than multiplayer in a city builder.

Really?  I'm completely uninterested in playing that game on my own, but I love playing it with a couple AI with my friends.  Why? Because it's great fighting over islands and setting up trade routes for needed resources between my friend and I.

July 25, 2009 8:18:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

its quite a good game, i got it at awhile back for 35$ (retail box), and am very happy with it, only used 1 activation so far and I bet Ubi will release a patch down the road to removed the TAGES once demand has died down.

July 26, 2009 3:34:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting lordkosc,
its quite a good game, i got it at awhile back for 35$ (retail box), and am very happy with it, only used 1 activation so far and I bet Ubi will release a patch down the road to removed the TAGES once demand has died down.

This patch to remove DRM after the game is released does not cut it for me. If it has this type of activation scheme, I just won't buy it. As for multiplayer. Yeah I played Patrician III multiplayer and felt there was a complete disconnect between me and the other players. I am still hopeful that city builders + multiplayer will mean more than some combat mode.

July 26, 2009 2:39:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Spooky,

Indeed... but not from playing it!

And to see a Stardock member advertising for people to install malware saddens me a bit. I guess we will soon see Elemental War of Magic annouced with TAGES or maybe SecuROM.

July 26, 2009 3:57:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like to try it out, but... (Click for full-size.)

July 26, 2009 4:10:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Awac A,

So...just because a product comes with any protection at all, is REASON enough to steal now?  So if I lock my car around you, I can expect it to disappear?  I should just trust that you and others won't steal it, and leave it unlocked?  

I get it, offend the "sensibility" (oxymoron on it's own) of a pirate and he/she gets to feel JUSTIFIED in their theft.  So the only way to stop thieving is to stop attempting to protect things.  WOW, why didn't someone think of that before?  I've been locking up my bicycle, locking my home and my car, password-protecting my PC's.  My god.......I'm going about it all the wrong way!  I'm just INVITING theft........thanks for setting me straight!!!

/sarcasm

the Monk

July 26, 2009 4:12:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, because clearly pirating it will teach them that people are trustworthy and they can stop trying to keep people from pirating it... oh wait.

If the DRM is a deal breaker for you, grow up and learn to do without.

July 26, 2009 4:42:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kryo,

Lack of Multiplayer and its DRM are preventing me from buying it .Indeed... but not from playing it!

Yes, because clearly pirating it will teach them that people are trustworthy and they can stop trying to keep people from pirating it... oh wait.

If the DRM is a deal breaker for you, grow up and learn to do without.

Well certain types of DRM is a deal breaker for me. I simply won't buy it, and I didn't steal it either. I did play the demo, before I knew about Tages and it looked like a game right up my alley. Of course they could wrap the demo up in DRM crap too for no apparent reason just like Spore and I believe it was Spellforce 2 that gave me Starforce once through their demos. I did pass those games over for DRM reasons alone though, and i believe Reclaim Your Game mentioned the one removed Starforce from the US versions with a patch, still not good enough for me though, don't want something like Starforce on my computer again.

There is a certain amount of DRM I will put up with, disc checks, cd keys, for online services which I refuse to pay full retail price for (not getting the cd, the box, the manual... basically little publishing costs and still pay the same price to make walmart happy.... nonsense). I'll put up with online activation. But if it comes in a box and it doesn't have multiplayer and still requires online activation, no way.

As for pirates, hey the gaming industry seems like the dim witted kid in the back corner who watched the music industry fail at their attempts at the black board over and over again and still thinks its a good idea to try the same approach. It's fuel for the pirates. You gotta know that by now. As for me, I went through roughly 15 years of not buying music (and not stealing it either), so I can certainly manage to avoid buying titles from a publisher whose goal in life is to screw their existing customers while doing nothing to stop pirates.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.