The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Dawn of Discovery is Fun!

By on July 20, 2009 5:22:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I have been a big fan of the Anno series since the beginning, so I was very excited to hear about Dawn of Discovery, and even more excited when I found out it was coming to Impulse.

Right now I’m playing through the campaign, but the open gameplay is also very fun.

If you press F1, you can go into a “postcard” mode which will take some beautiful screenshots as shown below. 

screenshot0000

screenshot0001

+462 Karma | 129 Replies
July 28, 2009 3:52:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Ignores hijackers*

Looks pretty awesome, and it got some great reviews as well. I'll try to pick this up when I get some extra cash.

July 28, 2009 3:59:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I build my own computers. I own my software, including the OS. I've had Starforce on my system, and removed it. I got it from a demo, i repeate, a demo. I have Securom on my system now, although it is indeed version 7, it did not come with activation limits or forced online acivitation. It's not about the DRM ruinning my system, and although I own NWN 2, and am aware of the 1.23 patch creating a verifiable problem for legal owners, as it the issues BSOD issues with that game came with a patch updating Securom, I didn't install the patch and won't until after they patch that patches' problem,which doesn't include the hotfix.

I've been playing games for many, many, many years myself and refuse to purchase games that come with acvitation limits or forced online activations unless it has a reason to have online activation, such as mmorpgs. Your attempt to classify people who take an issue with having their consumer rights stomped on by the likes of EA, Ubisoft and Amazon as pirates you can dismiss is just BS. When you come up with a better arugment, let me know.

July 28, 2009 4:04:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
Hasn't ever bother me.......

Time will come when your software will refuse to obey you. Let's talk again after that.

July 28, 2009 4:04:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If the DRM is a deal breaker for you, grow up and learn to do without.

It is, I have, and I do.

July 28, 2009 5:09:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nesrie,

I wasn't painting everyone a "pirate".  Please carefully re-read my post.  I was simply stating that I myself have nothing on my systems, nor do I DO anything with my systems that could be seen as such.  If anything, I was implying that most issues with software compatibility (and YES DRM is still software) can be in my opinion traced back to issues within the O/S or system configuration and therefore not a problem with the DRM itself, but rather a user-created issue!  I have never had any "emulation software" of any kind on my systems and in my experience that type of software is something most recent DRM has issues with.  That's a problem?  Not mine anyway.....

dmantione,

My oldest son is 19, when do you figure my software will begin to refuse to obey me?  When I'm too old to use it anymore anyway?   hehe

Seriously though, as I pointed out to Nesrie above......I don't have "emulation software" or any other sort of that strain of software on my machines.  I run vanilla OS installs, and don't use stupid "disable these 30 useless windows services guides".  I make sure everything is always up-to-date and as corruption-free as I can keep things.  Installing and using DRM-enabled software on my kind of system has therefore never resulted in any adverse effects.

@ Everyone,

Sure, if you insist on running "emulation software" and who knows what other malware (and YES I know I just classified "emulation software" as malware......just as many of you classify DRM as malware! ) don't be surprised if the DRM balks! 

All I'm saying is this.  On my vanilla-OS gaming machines (varous hardware/OS builds over the MANY MANY years!) with no "questionable software" (emulators, iso readers, decrypters, etc.) and ALL patches as well as leaving the OS completely functional by not turning-off this or that service etc. I haven't ever had a single issue........even with some of the most restrictive DRM out there.

My question is.......why is everyone out there content with chalking up my experience to COINCIDENCE?  Maybe people are afraid of recognizing my experiences for what they are..........afraid of using my methods.......afraid they will no longer have an issue with DRM!  

As far as Dawn of Discovery (the game) goes......... I'm loving it more each time I play it.   The visuals as already stated are fantastic.  The "immersion" feels right.  My only beef so far is that the campaign seems to be the tutorial and that is a bit of a turn-off for me.  Other than that I'm having a blast.  If you're into city-builders at all......I highly recommend this game!

the Monk

July 28, 2009 6:08:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I don't have "emulation software" or any other sort of that strain of software on my machines.

I did not have emulators in mind. But now you bring up the topic, well, there are 3 possibilities:

• You have a stack of optical media on your desk to insert when games ask for it
  • You use emulators and put the optical media in their box
  • You download cracks and put the optical media in their box
In all 3 cases, you suffer from DRM. Quod erat demonstrandum.

July 28, 2009 6:20:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No he doesn't. He's stated many times already that he doesn't 'suffer' from DRM in any way, shape or form. He 'rolls' with it. It doesn't cause a problem. There are never any hiccups in his system or games because of it. It is there, but not an issue.

I can say the same thing frankly. I've never ever had a problem with DRM. It's just not that big a deal as long as you are not tweaking and modifying your OS to 'squeeze' that last bit of performance out of it or whatever reason you may have.

The game in this case is just flat out beautiful and FUN to play. If you're missing out on it merely because you would be inconvenienced by 3 activations then it sucks to be you.

July 28, 2009 6:26:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't buy this game on Impulse as I discovered tonight as I live in the UK.

July 28, 2009 6:33:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Charvel1,

No he doesn't. He's stated many times already that he doesn't 'suffer' from DRM in any way, shape or form. He 'rolls' with it. It doesn't cause a problem. There are never any hiccups in his system or games because of it. It is there, but not an issue.

I can say the same thing frankly. I've never ever had a problem with DRM. It's just not that big a deal as long as you are not tweaking and modifying your OS to 'squeeze' that last bit of performance out of it or whatever reason you may have.

The game in this case is just flat out beautiful and FUN to play. If you're missing out on it merely because you would be inconvenienced by 3 activations then it sucks to be you.

Yeah, because the hundreds of other titles I am playing, most with minimal DRM issues or not at all makes my life not worth living... right. I buy a lot of games, and guess what, it's pretty easy to avoid the ones where the publishers think they have a right to limit my purchase at their whim. I'll be buying another one soon and then another after that.. all without activation limits. Your idiotic statement just shows the self righteous behavior people like you have when it comes to disagreements. I don't agree with you. Live with it.

July 28, 2009 6:43:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I think it has become apparent that some of the people on this thread woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.....

July 28, 2009 6:49:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Besides, the game is boring. More like Settlers: the Stripped Down Version. But to each their own.

July 28, 2009 7:47:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wake up. Just because you haven't had any issues doesnt mean nobody else has had any.

July 28, 2009 7:57:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Viisari,
Wake up. Just because you haven't had any issues doesnt mean nobody else has had any.

Uh...you obviously didn't read the_Monk's post. It was never said that nobody else had any problems with DRM. the_Monk only stated that many of these problems are user created, and not the fault of the DRM itself.

July 29, 2009 4:08:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So what he's saying is that if I just don't install any other softwares on my computer it might work fine? Riiight...

And since when have ISO readers been 'questionable software'? I've used them for legit purposes plenty of times, yet some games refuse to start if a computer has one installed.

July 29, 2009 4:52:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've never had any DRM issues in my history of gaming since the ZX Spectrum 48k.  I used to get a little annoyed every time I had to get the paper wheel out of the box to match up Monkey heads with idols and stuff just to play the game.

July 29, 2009 6:23:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Awac A,

There would be no incentive to pirate games if it wasnt for the DRM so i dont get why publishers put it on. They would properly make up the mony lost to piracy from the cash they spend on DRM if they dropped it. And yes there will always be people who pirate games, but most of them are probably kids who play it for 2 days and throw it away again. 99% of the people buy a games why let them go through all that DRM shit when its 1% who is to blame and that 1% gets to play with no problems.

Umm, what? There's pleanty of incentive to pirate games even without DRM. Like say, people want a free game.

Most pirates are NOT out to make a point, or doing something principled. They're cheap. Given the option of a game costing $50 or the same game costing $0, it's easy to figure out which one is going to win. That's why there is piracy on games with no DRM (oh hi Demigod), and there was piracy on games before DRM existed.

Oh, and anybody can make up statistics. 41% of all people know that.

July 29, 2009 6:28:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
@ ALL the DRM complainers, 

Since the inception of DRM, I've owned games with all sorts of DRM ranging from Starforce and SecuRom to FADE (the DRM in Operation Flashpoint and was kick-ass DRM actually......enjoyed hearing about the pirated games FADE-ing away!   lmao).

I have not had one single issue with any form of DRM on any of my many computer systems (with a variety of hardware and O/S configs) over the MANY YEARS I've been playing DRM-protected games.

Maybe it's because each of the O/S's on my systems is PAID for, and not a pirate-stripped version?  Maybe it's because I'm an IT guy and just know how to keep everything in working order?  Maybe it's just because the DRM knows I'm a good person and never bites me in the ass?

Who knows, but I'm willing to bet that the bulk of people in this world BITCHING about DRM haven't had one single PREVENTABLE issue with DRM other than those circumstances they've created for themselves.

I read enough forums to know that people often come up with RIDICULOUS circumstances for DRM failure.  For example, what if I'm on a mission to the MOON, and the Space-Shuttle loses it's internet connection........how will I be able to activate my copy?  Bad DRM, BAD!

The point is, the people who bitch the loudest about DRM aren't the one's (usually) who actaully have a legitimate reason to do so.

Again,  in the MANY MANY years I've been installing and playing DRM-enabled games, I have NEVER EVER had even one SINGLE issue!   I ask you, coincidence?

EDIT:  So........given my DRM experiences above.......why would I ever care if something has DRM on it?  Hasn't ever bother me.......

the Monk

Is it a coincidence? Probably. Since my legit, vanilla, non tweaked to hell OS is pretty similar to yours, and one day Mass Effect just decided to stop working for a while due to SecuROM.

All you're doing is saying that anybody who has had problems with DRM is doing something wrong. It's not true. My father in law has a pretty normal setup and has been burned by DRM so many times that he gave up on PC gaming entirely and bought an Xbox 360. I wonder how stuff like that helps the PC game industry compete against the consoles? It's not like he was demanding a whole lot, he just wanted the game he bought to run properly and not tell him that he's a pirate. (Oddy enough the pirated version worked correctly. Go figure.)

July 29, 2009 9:42:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So what he's saying is that if I just don't install any other softwares on my computer it might work fine? Riiight...

And since when have ISO readers been 'questionable software'? I've used them for legit purposes plenty of times, yet some games refuse to start if a computer has one installed.

Viisari

1.  Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying and my life-experiences prove it!  I have machines I do nothing but game on.....ever.  I have other machines I use for business/personal shit.  It's just about smart funds-allocation afterall.  Instead of building one super-wasteful-ueber-system (that doesn't actually do any ONE thing better than a medium-power-gaming-rig) I have always had a DECENT gaming rig, and something else to do other things.  Sort of a PC-console if you will.....    The result......no DRM issues.....EVAH!

2.  You said it right there "I've used them for legit purposes plenty of times......."  Why would you need to qualify your statement like that if the PRECONCEPTION of them being mostly used for ILLEGAL ACTIVITY wasn't true?  Your statement alone makes them "questionable"!  .......think much?

the Monk

July 29, 2009 10:21:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

Viisari

1.  Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying and my life-experiences prove it!  I have machines I do nothing but game on.....ever.  I have other machines I use for business/personal shit.  It's just about smart funds-allocation afterall.  Instead of building one super-wasteful-ueber-system (that doesn't actually do any ONE thing better than a medium-power-gaming-rig) I have always had a DECENT gaming rig, and something else to do other things.  Sort of a PC-console if you will.....    The result......no DRM issues.....EVAH!

the Monk

Oh... you were just trolling... Moving along...

Okay okay, so you're basically saying that if I want to avoid problems with DRM I need to get a new PC that's used just for gaming? That's like saying that there IS a problem with DRM. Big one too.

Oh, and guess what a paying customer who's having problems with DRM does? He gets a crack for his game. And then it works just fine. Isn't that funny?

July 29, 2009 10:55:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I don't like DRM, I don't think pirating anyway will get thier attention. They will simply put more restrictive DRM to try and combat it, despite however pointless such a cause appears to us.

The only way to stop companies from putting DRM on thier products is to not buy or pirate thier games. Obviously not buying the game sends them the loudest message as if sales drop and consumers make it known that it is because of the DRM, smart companies will think twice before doing it again. However, if they see lots of pirated copies being used, then they can rationalize those as lot sales despite obvious reasons why thier not, and use it a fuel to implement more DRM.

So if you don't want companies to continue with intrusive DRM use, don't buy or pirate games that you think fall into that catagory.

July 30, 2009 12:01:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Okay okay, so you're basically saying that if I want to avoid problems with DRM I need to get a new PC that's used just for gaming? That's like saying that there IS a problem with DRM. Big one too.

Viisari,

Not only are you twisting my words and attempting to use circular reasoning against me, you conveniently omitted my second point, so I'll quote myself again:

2.  You said it right there "I've used them for legit purposes plenty of times....... "  Why would you need to qualify your statement like that if the PRECONCEPTION of them being mostly used for ILLEGAL ACTIVITY wasn't true ?  Your statement alone makes them "questionable"!  .......think much?

Put Plainly!  DRM exists because WE decided somewhere along the way that if it can be TAKEN without paying for it, why PAY?

Problem:

Please read the following carefully.  What I'm saying is.......there is a problem with what people think they should be able to do with their systems. 

You yourself said, having an ISO-reader/emulator installed (which let's not forget...you HAVE used for legit purposes.......) caused a certain DRM to balk.

So in fact, something you had installed on your system which is MOST OFTEN used for illegal purposes (but you have used plenty of times for legit reasons) caused alarms to go off in the DRM which exists because WE insisted to make a sport of TAKING things we should be PAYING for?  You can't see the real problem there? 

Solution:

People want be able to download anything and everything, install anything and everything, run anything and everying.  That can only work if everyone is also prepared to accept the consequences of said actions.  There are any number of reasons NOT to do one or all of the aforementioned not the least being that you may cause something ELSE to not function.

There are TWO ways to accept the consequences of one's computational actions!

1.  If you insist on running emulators, decryptors, rippers, image-readers and the lot on your machine and DRM bitches at you, then un-install the offending software and chalk the frustration received as a result up to your own stubborness on the subject.

-or-

2.  Do what I and obviously some other people have figured out.  Run two machines.  One for the DRM-enabled games which is kept clean of all "questionable software", so you will never have DRM hissy-fits, and another to do your "dirty" work on.

By the way, Dawn of Discovery is such a beautiful game.  I seriously feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to forego this amazing game based on the vapid reasons for doing so detailed in this now thoroughly hiijacked thread!

-- monk out!

July 30, 2009 4:59:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Or 3. download a pirate crack so you don't have to buy a friggin second computer (jeez, get real) or use your computer as a... console? Lol. I feel sorry for you spending all that money for nothing. You could have cracked all your bought games and saved yourself a lot of money.

Also, two more points:

DRM existed almost since day one. It existed before the Internet. Anyone who has ever played those really old games knows this. Back then they had special codebooks and tricks hidden in printed manuals "enter the second word of the third paragraph on page 12 of the manual" and so on. Naturally, that was considered practice for hackers even back then.

DRM never worked. Not once. The only way DRM "works" is if the game or software is uninteresting enough to fly "below the radar" - so no hacker group even hears of it or attempts to crack it since no one wants it and they get no fame for it.

So, in theory we all know what DRM software is supposed to do. In practice, however, it is an absolutely impotent piece of garbage which only brings grief to legitimate customers. Instead of sticking to normal DRM measures, like serial keys and (in my experience the best method) perks for legitimate customers (like multiplayer, patches etc.), publishers like EA who are using these draconian schemes only hurt their customer base - pirates don't even blink anymore.

As for Dawn of Discovery, yeah its pretty, but that's pretty much it. If you like eyecandy and substitute it for actual substance, you'll like it. I find it overly speeded up, with no requirement for forethought and planning if you have a few farming islands going with traderoutes. Interesting how those hemp farmers never need feeding too. I guess weed *is* nutritious, as some say!

July 30, 2009 6:52:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

So in fact, something you had installed on your system which is MOST OFTEN used for illegal purposes (but you have used plenty of times for legit reasons) caused alarms to go off in the DRM which exists because WE insisted to make a sport of TAKING things we should be PAYING for?  You can't see the real problem there? 

And now you're making up statistics. And the problem here is that a game that I bought is checking my computer for software that the publisher THINKS is bad. It's not their place to decide what I can and cannot install on my computer. It's my computer. I decide what I install on it, not them. Such tools are not illegal, and even though you insist that they're mostly used for illegal purposes you show no evidence for this, except for your gut feeling. If DRM did this for all 'questionable software' then yes, we'd all HAVE to buy a second computer for just gaming and that'd be very very silly.

Out of all my friends no one has a separate gaming computer. Why? Why'd they need one? Why should they need one? Why's one computer not enough? You ARE saying that the solution to all DRM-problems is a computer solely for gaming. Well, that's stupid. Sure, if you want to have one then be my guest, but why should everyone else get one when one computer would do the same job just fine. DRM is CREATING the problems which so many people complain about. If there was no DRM, this problem would be non-existent.

Now, wanting to protect your stuff is okay I guess, but doing it in a way that harms buying customers is WRONG. And even funnier, the pirates get a BETTER product. They will suffer none of the bad things DRM might do. So the pirates are getting a problem free game for free. Now I like buying stuff. But when the game I just bought from a shop refuses to work because some publisher somewhere decided it was a good idea to annoy paying customers, I start wondering why I even bothered with buying it. Had I downloaded it, I'd have it for free (no shiny case though) and without problems caused by DRM. And I've lost count on how many times I've had problems with different games. And even more funnily, the problems are usually solved by getting a crack.

This will probably get me banned but whatever, I don't even care. I'm playing this game. It's a great game, one of the best city builders for a long time. But I refuse to buy it. If they ever release it without TAGES, I'll buy it that very second. But not before. Isn't that kinda funny? I resorted to piracy because they tried to protect their software from it. Doesn't that make DRM kinda counter-productive? Surely any sane person could see that all DRM does is harm. It harms customers and it harms the companies using it.

You can say I'm a dirty pirate or that pirates are the reason DRM exists, but hey, they offered a better product. I don't have to worry if TAGES servers are up ten years from now, or how many different machines I can install the game on, I can just play it without problems.  It's a shame I can't get such a product from a store.

July 30, 2009 7:02:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Haree78,
I'd put £50 here and now on Viisari having used those emulator tools to run a downloaded game, who's willing to take my bet?

Actually, it doesn't need one.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000829   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.