The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Game Ranger

By on April 20, 2009 8:37:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

xxaustin09xx

Join Date 04/2009

Theres a program like Garena if any of you know what that is called Game ranger. A ton of people use it with Demi God and is a quick solution if you have connectivity issues. TRY IT!

62 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 20, 2009 9:53:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, please use gameranger people!  So far, the connections seem to have a 100% success rate.  That, and we need more non pirates to play against, lol.

April 20, 2009 11:03:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Might help if you share the link

http://www.gameranger.com/

April 20, 2009 11:06:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Game Ranger is indeed a great program to play online through LAN. Game Ranger received Demigod support 2 days ago (saturday) but yesterday afternoon (CET) there were already 50-60 games up any time.

Game Ranger has one big advantage over Hamachi and Garena and that is that you see every game that is currently active instead of that you have to join a limited channel (15 in Hamachi, 250 in Garena).

I really hope to see more people join us at Game Ranger because its a WHOLE lot better then the current online methode of the game.

April 20, 2009 11:22:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You might as well post a link to the torrent to download the game too.  You've already come this far.

April 20, 2009 12:03:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tidus1492,
You might as well post a link to the torrent to download the game too.  You've already come this far.

Not one thing this program does is illegal, or wrong in any way, why do you draw a link to piracy.

Does your logic really go

this guy is a pirate because he uses a vlan program to get around the issues with online multiplayer and because pirates can play lan games HE MUST BE A PIRATE.

instead of

Hey here's a friendly guy giving a link to a useful program to get around the online issues and get people playing this game.

April 20, 2009 1:15:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tidus1492,

Wow... go jerk yourself off.

Everyone else, this works great! Make sure you have a legit copy and join a room that says it is for legit players because pirated people can NOT play with legit players due to different game versisons. No more searching and hoping for hours for at least a 3v3 game to get going.

April 20, 2009 1:37:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tidus1492,

Hey, we play in our lobbies, you and your friends can play in yours. If you want to be a douche about it, let me have your legit retail so you can go back to playing with your cheapskate friends that Stardock won't support. It'll be one less person crying.

April 20, 2009 2:35:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys are really proving your age here.

Tidus states one thing *the obvious* and you jump on him like children.

April 20, 2009 3:46:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its full of nothing but pirated copies...the 50+ games u said u saw are all version .91        i sat in the one .93 game for an hour and 3 people joined.....    have fun with ur pirated game dill weed

April 20, 2009 3:53:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

most legit users host passworded games with their friends.

April 20, 2009 4:01:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
most legit users host passworded games with their friends.

Then most "legit" users know there is really no problems at all with hosting custom games with a password.

April 20, 2009 4:54:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then most "legit" users know there is really no problems at all with hosting custom games with a password.

Except that, there are problems, i've been experiencing them since release. The situation has gotten better, but there I still have friends who get a 0ms ping to other people and it won't allow the game to start.

At the end of the day nothing Game Ranger has done is wrong or illegal, so trying to draw a link between piraacy and a legitimate service is wrong.

There are 2 facts at the heart of this:
1) Game Ranger can help users that are having trouble with the Stardock provided internet service by providing a vlan connection.

2) Pirates can still play lan games totally fine, which attracts them to services like Hamachi and Game Ranger.

Sorry but Tidus1492 used a rather large and broad brush to paint everybody that uses this service as a pirate, which just isn't the case. This includes me, an owner of a legitimate copy, who plans on using this with his friends to set up multiplayer games because the online service is very much still broken and is preventing us from all playing together.

I'm not a pirate, I plan on trying this service out. So excuse me for getting a little fucking pissed when baseless accusations of piracy go out.

April 20, 2009 5:00:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

T3CH82, i meant on gameranger, hosting games via demigods custom game interface is not working nearly as fast and reliable as it is via gameranger.

April 20, 2009 5:03:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I do get somewhat defensive about this, because as a legitimate game owner, right now it is my ONLY means of playing online with others. Do pirates use it? Sure, but I personally want all the legit players to know about it that can't currently play, so that I do have people to play with.

If I didn't know about the service I wouldn't be able to play online at all, so it is a GREAT service to me that I found out about it.

April 20, 2009 5:10:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The fact is, Gameranger works most of the time.  By you not using the program or passwording your games, you are not changing anything regarding pirates.  You do not get an "A" for effort either, you do absolutely nothing by doing either of those two things. 

If it works, great, it will keep people happy until Stardock fixes online. 

April 20, 2009 5:21:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just tried it out and it was awesome.  Took like 2 mintues to install.  Found that all the legit users post the .93 version in the title so its easy to find a game and get going.  My first game was a 5v5 but one person had lag spikes and once he left it was smooth sailing.  After playing that match THIS is how the online should be.  I hope that stardock and gpg can get their online working this smoothly because this weekend I wanted to smash my head in from not being able to play after trying skirmish and custom matches.  I think that ANYONE having issues or frustrations should try it out because its an amazing alternative right now before they fix it in game.

April 20, 2009 5:25:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even frogboy recommends to use this gameranger if you are having issues with the impulse service.

April 20, 2009 5:35:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great to hear this is working and frogboy is looking into making the appropriate fixes to the game.  This game is unbelievable when working.

Let's try to keep the flaming to a minimum.

April 20, 2009 5:48:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All the bullshit aside about pirates is beside the point. 

Pirates will be pirates and they can't update and play the best version. They lose.

Legit users win by having a quick and painless fix while GPG works out the kinks. Once the legit servers are up and running there will be way more incentive to buy the game so that you can play on the good, working legit servers.

To backup my point just look at Blizzard. They released Diablo I with Battle.net and offered a simple yet effective system for creating and joining internet games and a chatroom to boot. Not only do all their games still work on Battle.net they can make new games that mesh with the existing Battle.net server. Since the Bnet servers are nearly always working and updating you want to play Warcraft III there (the latest game out from Blizzard that uses Battle.net). Now the only way to play Warcraft III on Battle.net is to have a CD key. Only 1 CD key can be online at once time. Therefore you want your own CD key. It's a self perpetuating system that reinforces itself.

GPG will be there. And the pirates will buy Demigod.

April 20, 2009 6:06:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

just played a game with gameranger, and WOW, just WOW the ease of connecting to everyone. done in a split second compared to the long Connecting to players....... please wait..... message u get from using just the game lawl. how sad is that. also legit games gota  .93 tag on the game names too. which makes it easy to find a game going. then u can just add those people u play with as friends afterwards

April 20, 2009 6:14:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't get why some people has to stereotype 3rd party lan users as pirates immediately, considering the game has so many online issues atm... If anything, gameranger may actually help increase the sales of demigod once online games are stable, additional contents are released regularly, and maybe clan ladders/tournaments become available.

I played my first online match ever last night with gameranger. Im from aus and had to play with people from japan and 1 from europe because there were barely any legit .93 games. It was somewhat laggy, but hey, at least i got to play for once and it was still fun. Way better than spending hours trying to configure my system and joining games that fails eventually.

Need more .93 aus players and hosts at night!

April 20, 2009 6:29:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah what I dont understand about the current system is why it takes minutes just to connect even if you do connect fine to everyone?  Why does it take so long even when it works?  Most of the time there is some stupid crap, I spent like 2 hours just to play one 15 min game before giving up.  I tried this today on game ranger and we had a 5v5 up in < 1 min and everyone was ready to go.  Heck the longest part about the whole thing was having 10 people decide which map and demigod they wanted   Now thats how I hope it will be with impulse soon.

April 20, 2009 10:17:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the peeps who get disenchanted seeing the .91 rooms:

First off, check and log in during prime times. I just hopped on (9:12 PM, CST) and saw a good number of rooms marked .93

I saw a good share of .91 as well, and most rooms were simple labeled irregardless.

Make sure to open up the chat lobby and post your channels when you host;

also, practice good sportsmanship and actually socialize with your opponents and friends.

"Why, carebear noob, should I behave?" you ask?

Because GameRanger has a friends list and a messenger feature. Yeah, it has limited slots (50 for non premium members) but still, it's a way to see who's on and invite them to games or drop in when they're setting up a room. Don't be disheartened by any .93 rooms that are passworded; it's mostly peeps not wanting to mess with the occasional ass hat who tries to join with an incorrect version or waiting for set players. There's still plenty of us who setup public rooms; if nothing else be patient (I promise it'll still be quicker than making a game online).

And when you host your room, make sure to label it accordingly (v.93 or legit retail or whatever.)

April 20, 2009 10:26:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You cant play pantheon games through this can you, then whats the point?

April 20, 2009 10:31:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaoticon,
You cant play pantheon games through this can you, then whats the point?

So we can play games with other people whilst waiting for the online patch to hopefully fix the problems we're having.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001328   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.