The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Preview of Day 0 Update

By on April 7, 2009 3:25:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Lead Designer Mike Marr at Gas Powered Games has put together a list of some of the balance changes being implemented based on player feedback that will be in the released (day 0) version of the game.

From Mike:

The focus of this balance pass was stop slows and chain stuns from ruining gameplay. Past that, our goal was to increase the viability of Generals and reduce the aspects of the Rook, Torchbearer and Unclean Beast that were proving to be imbalanced.

Slows. From feedback, it had become apparent that slows were negatively impacting gameplay past the point of fun. To fix this issue there is now a slow cap that prevents a Demigods movement by being decreased more than 33%. Thank you all for your input on this issue!

Chain Stuns. This is a problem that has plagued Demigod for some time. Well, this time we think we addressed the issue thoroughly. There is now Stun Immunity. When stunned by Boulder Roll, Mass Charm or Freeze a Demigod becomes immune for twice the duration of the stun. Our thanks goes out to the community, and especially Sorian, DalzK and others, for their brainstorming and feedback on this issue.

Teleport. When teleporting the target location of the teleport displays a tell, indicating that someone is coming! Thanks to Chirmaya for helping in bringing this issue to rest.

In addition, there???s been a lot of changes to the cost and effects of Citadel upgrades based on feedback that we think peopel will really like.

What about the Demigods themselves?  We???ve all be lurking the forums, reading people???s concerns and ideas. Then we go and try to verify the concern. It???s hard on the demigods because whenever someone loses a game, they argue that their demigod was under powered or that the guy who beat them was overpowered. So we end up spending a lot of time having to simulate the matches people post about to see if there really is a legitimate issue.

That said, here are a few highlights:

The Rook

The Rook's health and armor have been reduced, as has the damage of Hammer Slam and the stun on Boulder Roll.

Torch Bearer

The Torch Bearer's damage potential through Shatter has been reduced as well as the amount Permafrost and Frost Nova slow enemies. Circle of Fire's radius has been increased.

Unclean Beast

Beast's damage as he levels has been reduced. The effects of Inner Beast and Diseased Claws has been decreased. Venom Spit is now more potent but costs more mana. Ooze deals more damage.

Regulus

We see a lot of discussion about Regulus but the issue with those who say Regulus is too powerful isn???t Regulus per se but the effect items have on Reglulus.

Now, the generals have gotten beefed up a bit since, as many people noted, Assassins, even though they don???t have minions, still tend to win and the statistics bear this out. So considerable time has been spent revisiting the Generals.

Queen of Thorns

Queen of Thorns now deals more damage and has more armor. Many of her abilities have had their cooldown timer reduced and cast times sped up.

Lord Erbus (The Vampire Lord)

Erbus was a significant challenge because, as most beta testers concluded, he was by far the weakest of the Demigods. As a result, Mike???s team spent a great deal of time over the past few weeks re-imagining him.

Erebus now moves as fast as the Unclean Beast, has better survivability and deals more damage in melee. Bite is more effective as is Mass Charm against creeps. Mist drains more mana, but deals more damage.

Oak

Oak deals more damage in melee, both to start and as he levels. Penitence's debuffs are less effective, but the damage is increased. Surge of Faith can be cast more often and affects a larger area.

Sedna

Sedna now has more health and deals more damage. Pounce is stronger and she can cast Yeti's more often. Silence has a larger radius and can be cast more often, bust costs more mana and doesn't last as long.

Items

There have been a lot of changes to items, particularly Favor items.  The Warpstone, for instance, has a longer cooldown and costs more to purchase. Summoning idols are a lot cheaper and casting time is much quicker. We???ll have a more detailed list at release day as this is pretty lengthy.

Community Features

The Demigod betas have had a chat feature which is better than nothing but the goal has been to make sure people can send messages and such to their friends.  Impulse Phase 3 also includes the Impulse Tray so you???ll be able to get messages from friends outside the game if you want to invite them to your game.

Not pictured above are the profile features which are still being worked on.

Overall, we think people will be pretty happy with the work the team has put in here.  Obviously, not everyone will agree on which Demigod is ???overpowered??? and such. But we feel pretty confident that these changes will ensure the game is even funner than the most recent betas have been and create a good base for looking at future balance change requests.

+912 Karma | 61 Replies
April 7, 2009 3:26:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looks great! Its fun to watch changes happen for the better. Demigod has improved a ton since I saw it at PAX and I just pre-ordered this morning.

April 7, 2009 3:34:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds very good.

Erebus weakest? I played him all the time in Pantheon... yeehah! I get stronger! I repeat: yeehah!

(grin improved`ishly)

I hope Rook doesn`t lose too much damage for his awesome Hammer Slam - despite having to face it, I think that level of damage still suits him. Very satisfying for the many new players I am sure are going to take him out for a spin as their first Demigod choice too. The darn Boulder stun is more important I think. Maybe increase the energy cost for the boulder so that executing it and a quick Slam in succession are very tight energy things to do. Anyway...

April 7, 2009 3:36:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes! fixed slows!!!!!!!!    Thanks for the information update!!!!!!

April 7, 2009 3:42:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great! Well done, can't wait to play this at release!!

April 7, 2009 3:45:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really good set of updates.  We'll see how the DGs play but I think the three key things we were looking at - teleport tells, stunchains, and slow stacks - have been addressed.  Thank you, devs.  

April 7, 2009 3:47:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the update

April 7, 2009 3:53:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm quite happy with these changes. Addresses most everything I know of to some extant.

Also, yay for Pounce!

April 7, 2009 3:57:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow you guys really did a great job with the zero day patch.  The slows and stuns were my biggest concern and have been addressed.  The teleport is a great feature.  The balance twaks look to be a major improvement too.  Thanks for all your great work.  Can't wait to download it on release!!!

April 7, 2009 4:00:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Could not have asked for more. Thats a very good set of updates you have there. Very pleased stun immunity and slowdown cap made it into the day0 patch. Teleport animation is also a really great extra. You fixed the Rook, Ice TB and nerfed/buffed all the other Demigods accordingly. To all those people out there who said that the Devs dont listen to us/havent put our ideas into the game, read this!

Great job guys, its much appreciated!

April 7, 2009 4:07:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update.  Looks promising.

April 7, 2009 4:20:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm very happy to hear about all these updates. The only thing that worries me is that the Generals themselves were made to be more powerful, which doesn't address the concern of them not being all that powerful when using their minoins. In fact it would seem that they are now being made to be more like assassins then ever. Other then that though, everything looks great!

April 7, 2009 4:26:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, awesome list of changes. Thanks to the devs for listening to our concerns and then doing something about it.

April 7, 2009 4:38:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im happt to see Im able to delete almost 70% of the compiled list of changes I wanted for day 0 patch, the last 30% were engine stuff which werent mentioned now but may very well prove to be fixed once I get to try it out

Awesome work SD and especially GPG, thanks Frogboy for the help with forwarding the forum opinions to GPG.

Cant wait to play this!

April 7, 2009 4:39:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see much about some of the serious performance issues many people were having, specifically the habitual 2-3 second freezes every 10-15 seconds. I'm going to assume that those have been addressed and it's just an assumption on the dev team's part that we know that as well. Otherwise it sounds great so far.

April 7, 2009 4:41:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Queen of Thorns

Queen of Thorns now deals more damage and has more armor. Many of her abilities have had their cooldown timer reduced and cast times sped up.

Lord Erbus (The Vampire Lord)

Erbus was a significant challenge because, as most beta testers concluded, he was by far the weakest of the Demigods. As a result, Mike’s team spent a great deal of time over the past few weeks re-imagining him.

Erebus now moves as fast as the Unclean Beast, has better survivability and deals more damage in melee. Bite is more effective as is Mass Charm against creeps. Mist drains more mana, but deals more damage.

Oak

Oak deals more damage in melee, both to start and as he levels. Penitence's debuffs are less effective, but the damage is increased. Surge of Faith can be cast more often and affects a larger area.

Sedna

Sedna now has more health and deals more damage. Pounce is stronger and she can cast Yeti's more often. Silence has a larger radius and can be cast more often, bust costs more mana and doesn't last as long.

So basically you made generals more like assasins and made minions even less viable. Just what I wanted!!!!

On a secound thought the rest of the post was nice to hear.

April 7, 2009 4:43:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Now this is the way buffs/nerfs should happen! Hmm, maybe I could direct the developers of some other games I like this way...

April 7, 2009 4:49:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Snap. There's one big change that did not get into that change list- Minions now deal more damage.

April 7, 2009 5:20:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks awesome, can't wait for release 

April 7, 2009 5:29:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Snap. There's one big change that did not get into that change list- Minions now deal more damage.

Interesting.  So you buffed General damage and survivability and upped their minion damage.  I have to tell you guys - those of us who play and love Generals already are going to take this town apart  

Thank you in advance for the couple of weeks this will give us to permanently scar the new kids before the nerf hits..

FEAR MY OAK

April 7, 2009 5:31:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tyo

Are you serious or are you just pulling our legs? Minion damage is really minimum atm though so the change would be good.

April 7, 2009 5:50:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

'Are you serious or are you just pulling our legs?'

Serious. They deal more damage, cost less to purchase, use less mana to summon, cast faster and have a shorter cooldown. My goal was simple- better minions, the ability to have money to purchase items and less time getting your army setup.

April 7, 2009 5:54:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Absolutely amazing.

Great job GPG and Stardock.

Here's to a succesful launch!  

April 7, 2009 5:58:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Tyo,
'Are you serious or are you just pulling our legs?'

Serious. They deal more damage, cost less to purchase, use less mana to summon, cast faster and have a shorter cooldown. My goal was simple- better minions, the ability to have money to purchase items and less time getting your army setup.

Well then I retract my previous statement! well done indeed!

April 7, 2009 6:22:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good work for the slow and chainstun but the teleport thing bug me.

April 7, 2009 6:22:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...When stunned by Boulder Roll, Mass Charm or Freeze a Demigod becomes immune for twice the duration of the stun...

Does this affect the shatter mechanic? Will it just not freeze him?

Edit: Some very nice changes in there too!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.