The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A good multiplayer turn-based strategy game

By on October 20, 2008 8:25:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

A group of friends and I a couple times a week spend a couple hours playing video games.  For about a year we played Civilization 4 and its various expansion packs, but eventually we moved on to something else for a little variety.  We played Sins of a Solar Empire for about a month or two but it wasn't our cup of tea, then played a WW2 sim, IL2 Sturmovik, for a few months, and then this summer we switched to Age of Wonders Shadow Magic.  AoWSM is still working fine, but I'm always on the lookout for new games to play.

Optimally we'd prefer to play a TURN-based strategy game, and it has to (obviously) support multiplayer.  Other things that would be nice to have would be competent AI and various ways of winning (something besides killing everyone else).  I looked through the last couple pages of this category on this board, but no games that people were playing really jumped out at me.

My friend has HoMM 5 but doesn't really like it, and someone on this board in a recent thread said the AI was pretty dumb in it, so we can probably scratch that game off the list of potential games.

Any input is appreciated.

+5 Karma | 43 Replies
October 21, 2008 3:45:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have no answer.

But I am looking for the same thing.

October 21, 2008 5:28:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hm, you mentioned many things I would have thought of already. you could try the cheap version and play civ IV with one of the various mods out there. some change the game pretty drastically and are in general pretty stable and polished. also, I think the colonizaton remake also supports mp. however, that may be too similar to the game you have already played for some time, so its maybe not an optimal solution.

personnally, I played HoMM a bit and liked it, but then again, if you are not too fine with it ... . for an older game, you could try alpha centauri, a friend of mine is more of a hardcore type and still likes it.

I am not quite sure now. does the total war series have a multiplayer with the turn based region mode, or is it limited to real time battles? how about hearts of iron or whatever it is called. does that have mp?

October 21, 2008 6:06:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am not quite sure now. does the total war series have a multiplayer with the turn based region mode

Sadly no.

how about hearts of iron or whatever it is called. does that have mp?

It has mp but HoI is only semi turn based. Turns exist but they're in real time, sort of. Also the AI is brain dead too. But I still had fun with it.

October 21, 2008 6:29:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would recommend Alpha Centauri as well.  It's similar enough to Civ to be appealing, but different enough to be worth playing.

October 21, 2008 6:30:13 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Alpha Centauri

Played it for ten years. Still playing it. Nothing better out there.

Unfortunately...

October 21, 2008 6:30:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Heroes of might and magic III

Heroes V sucked, the AI is indeed dumb and cheats like mad. On normal its never a challenge but on hard it cheats so hard its twice as strong when you first encounter him, atleast that my experience with HoMM V.

HoMM III with its 2 expansions and with the unofficiall WoG expansion rocks!

Other games that you might look at: Supreme Ruler 2020 (might still need several patches), Europa Universalis III + its expansions, Diablo 2 (RPG), Starcraft (RTS), Airline tycoon (kinda turn based).

October 21, 2008 6:37:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fantasy Wars is a really difficult and deep turn based strategy game from what I heard you can only play it over lan in multiplayer (but that should do for you).

Sword of the Stars is a really cool 4X game. Together with its expansion pack Born of Blood it still has an active multiplayer scene. The AI is pretty good but it is very combat oriented. But all the featured races are really unique which makes the game attractive for players with different play styles.

Star Trek Birth of the Federation. Its an older game but my favorite 4X game. More non-combat features than Sword of Stars but you have to win by combat, too.

October 21, 2008 11:15:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There's always Not-MoM, coming soon

October 21, 2008 11:22:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

HOW soon?!

October 21, 2008 12:38:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's on a different scale than you are used to but have you had a look at Laser Squad Nemesis?  Not sure what state that is in these days though. http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

Oh and another up and coming is Blood Bowl by the makers of the (not coincidently) similar Chaos League! http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/

Not turn based but slow paced is Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Edition, not a lot of fanfare for this game but it's a wonderful remake of a game I still boot up occassionally for some real time sink fun. http://www.ubi.com/UK/Downloads/Info.aspx?dlId=1671

October 21, 2008 4:09:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

try the total war series they make their games simple to use with mass scale strategy invovled. there is also about 105 different cities that you can capture anlong with fielding massive armies. the most i have fielded is about 5000 men. plus you can control the battle too with is good.

October 21, 2008 4:11:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kryo,

Vandenburg hits kryo with a large trout for being a such a tease!

You know, if you people tease us so much, you could give us at least the full screenshot of the glimps in the customer report.

Pleeease. 

October 21, 2008 4:20:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I like HoMM 2-5+

Tho saying that i was allways partial to reading fantasy books...

Anyone here read:
1) Death Gate Cycle or
2) Song of Ice and Fire

Quite good!

October 21, 2008 5:16:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yeah, HoMM III is also a very good game. got the collection for 10 euros some time ago. definately a good investment. aahh, archangels, black dragons, super tough spells. from what I played, part V did seem good, but I don't know much about the ai. if it can only compete by cheating then it sucks.

Quoting kryo,

you know, I appreciate it, it sounds like a fun game. but for the love of it, don't tease us with a game that we have next to no information of and that could be out in 2010+. and could you have some pity with us younger folks who don't really know much to do with master of magic and give at least some description of this game. I mean, tbh, what I am thinking of the moment is something like HoMM of kind. and I can't even be blamed, since HoMM =/ MoM, so it's mathematically correct.

in any case, I'll keep an eye what danger concoction SD is brewing this time.

on the subject: you could also try Rise of Nations. its not quite turn based, but incorporates several features and can be tweaked for a similarly slow gameplay. for me personnaly, it did to civilization what sins has done to galciv and MoO. for a totally different thing you could try etherlords, but it has a very peculiar gameplay and I'm again not totally sure it has any mp. or, you can go aalll the way back and play master of orion 2. old, ugly, (as far as I remember) complicated mp setup, but a depth you will have trouble finding in other games. and somehow still entertaining after all these years.

last tip: go check out some gaming sites. a few of them offer reviews or game according to genre, so pick your tbs and browse until you find something that sounds interesting.

October 21, 2008 5:23:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A group of friends and I a couple times a week spend a couple hours playing video games.  For about a year we played Civilization 4 and its various expansion packs, but eventually we moved on to something else for a little variety.  We played Sins of a Solar Empire for about a month or two but it wasn't our cup of tea, then played a WW2 sim, IL2 Sturmovik, for a few months, and then this summer we switched to Age of Wonders Shadow Magic.  AoWSM is still working fine, but I'm always on the lookout for new games to play.

Optimally we'd prefer to play a TURN-based strategy game, and it has to (obviously) support multiplayer.  Other things that would be nice to have would be competent AI and various ways of winning (something besides killing everyone else).  I looked through the last couple pages of this category on this board, but no games that people were playing really jumped out at me.

My friend has HoMM 5 but doesn't really like it, and someone on this board in a recent thread said the AI was pretty dumb in it, so we can probably scratch that game off the list of potential games.

Any input is appreciated.

If you have Civ4: Beyond the Sword (which it sounds like you do), go to http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=294774 and download Fall From Heaven II.

I've been an avid turn-based strategy gamer since the days of Civ I.  Loved the Master of Magic series, played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic to death.  I think we may have similar enough tastes for me to highly encourage you to go get the mod.  Forget anything that might come to mind when you think "User MOD".  This MOD is more fleshed out and polished than the vast majority of games coming out of the big publishers these days.

As a mod it is based on Civ and some Civ concepts, but it is truly a different game.  I haven't been able to go back to "vanilla" Civ since playing it, it's just so much better.

October 24, 2008 2:02:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting kryo,

Will it have multiplayer? I was under the impression SD (and/or their fanbase) didn't care much for multiplayer in epic turn-based strategy games, so I was assuming that it would be single-player only.

As others have asked, how soon is soon?  For all I know it won't be released this decade.  It would also be nice to know a bit more about it.

Quoting mystic,
Heroes of might and magic III

Heroes V sucked, the AI is indeed dumb and cheats like mad. On normal its never a challenge but on hard it cheats so hard its twice as strong when you first encounter him, atleast that my experience with HoMM V.

HoMM III with its 2 expansions and with the unofficiall WoG expansion rocks!

Other games that you might look at: Supreme Ruler 2020 (might still need several patches), Europa Universalis III + its expansions, Diablo 2 (RPG), Starcraft (RTS), Airline tycoon (kinda turn based).

Actually the same friend who said he didn't like HoMM 5 had been long time HoMM 3 player.  He does enjoy that game, but he's never tried the expansions...I can look into this.

I've personally played Diablo 2 to death.  About a month ago I uninstalled it, partly because I had grown bored of it and had accomplished everything I was going to ever accomplish, and partly because the news of Diablo 3 being released in the not too distant future.  It would be kind of an interesting game to play with people who have either never played it or played it sparingly (which basically describes my group), espicially on hardcore mode, but I'm not sure how interested they would be.

Don't think Starcraft would really work.  Too much hotkey pressing and micro-managing.  Nice thing about turn-based games is the ability to think out our turns, and it's easy enough to be doing other things in the background simultaneously if we have to wait for someone to finish their turn.  

Sins of a Solar Empire was a bit of an exception, as far as RTS's go, because it was slow enough, and there was enough automation, to make it manageable for us.  The problem with SoaSE was that since our group is an odd number of people, we really can't play in teams against one another.  Playing against the computer got too easy, even on the "Unfair" setting, and we couldn't play against other players because we only have a limited amount of time to play each week and often times we have to save and continue our games later.  Furthermore, the lack of alternate victory scenarios kind of decreased our interest.  We like games that have multiple paths to victory besides conquest.

Quoting Shadowhal,

on the subject: you could also try Rise of Nations. its not quite turn based, but incorporates several features and can be tweaked for a similarly slow gameplay. for me personnaly, it did to civilization what sins has done to galciv and MoO. for a totally different thing you could try etherlords, but it has a very peculiar gameplay and I'm again not totally sure it has any mp. or, you can go aalll the way back and play master of orion 2. old, ugly, (as far as I remember) complicated mp setup, but a depth you will have trouble finding in other games. and somehow still entertaining after all these years.

last tip: go check out some gaming sites. a few of them offer reviews or game according to genre, so pick your tbs and browse until you find something that sounds interesting.

Actually we had tried Rise of Nations, just before our current group.  I enjoyed it as a single-player game, and we even had some fun in it multiplayer-wise, but for similar reasons as SoaSE I don't think it would work out long-term.

I have checked some gaming sites out and sorted by category.  I find that there are so few games out there for this genre that have multiplayer, and so few reviewers that will even mention if it has any of the features I'm interested in that it's hard for me to reliably pick out games that way.  Futhermore, games can get better with expansion packs, updates, and patches which might not necessarily be reflected in the reviews.  Looking up gaming sites is how I originally discovered Age of Wonders, so it's definitely a resource that I have used and continue to use, but I thought for once I would ask around.

Quoting goodgimp,

If you have Civ4: Beyond the Sword (which it sounds like you do), go to http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=294774 and download Fall From Heaven II.

I've been an avid turn-based strategy gamer since the days of Civ I.  Loved the Master of Magic series, played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic to death.  I think we may have similar enough tastes for me to highly encourage you to go get the mod.  Forget anything that might come to mind when you think "User MOD".  This MOD is more fleshed out and polished than the vast majority of games coming out of the big publishers these days.

As a mod it is based on Civ and some Civ concepts, but it is truly a different game.  I haven't been able to go back to "vanilla" Civ since playing it, it's just so much better.

Yeah we have Civ 4 Beyond the Sword, I'll look into that mod. 

I as well have been playing turn-based games since Civ I, though I never played Master of Magic but from what I know of it, and what games were inspired by it, it would seem to be the ideal type of game. Too bad there isn't an updated modern internet-friendly version/sequel of it to play.

I haven't actually had too many bad experiences with mods so it doesn't bother me to try them.  At the moment with my group of friends we are actually playing a mod, Dwiggs 5.0.  It breathed some new life into it, and while it's not perfectly polished, it adds enough high quality content that we've continued to play that. 

Quoting Draconis123,

Tho saying that i was allways partial to reading fantasy books...

Anyone here read:
1) Death Gate Cycle or
2) Song of Ice and Fire

Quite good!

Yes I do enjoy the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series.  Been waiting forever for the fifth installment that keeps getting pushed back.

October 24, 2008 3:18:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've been an avid turn-based strategy gamer since the days of Civ I. Loved the Master of Magic series, played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic to death. I think we may have similar enough tastes for me to highly encourage you to go get the mod. Forget anything that might come to mind when you think "User MOD". This MOD is more fleshed out and polished than the vast majority of games coming out of the big publishers these days.

As a mod it is based on Civ and some Civ concepts, but it is truly a different game. I haven't been able to go back to "vanilla" Civ since playing it, it's just so much better.

Yes! One of the best mods ever.

Also, as Shugyosha wrote, Fantasy Wars is a nice game. Don't know how the computer handles in multiplayer, though.

And yes, Sword of the Stars as well New expansion out now, that has gotten good reviews.

PS: Some older games you could try: Panzer general 2 and 3. PG 2 Can be downloaded for free and has a community driven multiplayer lobby.

Cheers

October 27, 2008 8:58:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fantasy Wars is a nice game

I have considered purchasing this game and like the demo but the reviews all seem to mention this time or turn limit to each mission.  I HATE turn limits on games but have not read where you can turn that "feature" off.  It is that reason only that I have not gotten the game.

October 27, 2008 11:22:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thirding FFH2.  Think of BTS as some piece of crap peripheral software you need to run the real game.  I've played vanilla BTS three or four times total, there's just no comparison between them.

Unfortunately, it is somewhat inept an ai.  Particularly in comparison to the outstanding vanilla game AI.  It's just not capable of utilizing all the changes.  I recommend emperor or higher and disabling building requirements in the setup, even if you're usually only matching up against noble ai in vanilla.

October 28, 2008 5:34:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

A friend reading these forums pointed out FreeCol to me.

http://www.freecol.org/

Runs on Windows, Linux, and (with some tweaking) Mac OS. (I think it has problems with a 4 GB address space for 32 bit apps on Mac OS. Need to limit JVM memory to 256 MB to start it.)

This is pretty much a clone of Colonization with enhanced graphics (don't like them as much as the originals) and multiplayer support. It has the same trade goods and everything.

October 29, 2008 5:31:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Has anyone here played Lords of Magic?  I only played it a bit some years ago.  It was a mix of turn-based and real time strategy.  You moved your armies around the map in turns, but went to a real time battleground.  There weren't regions or territory per se.  You captured places on the world map which generated resources for you.  That's what I remember anyway, but it might not be completely accurate.

October 30, 2008 12:20:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gee what have you been for the last decade?  You are playing games on a PC or .... "Mac" right?  I don't know where to start, there were just too many to chose. It's always a good place to start with Chessmaster or Civilization IV, but come on you are already playing Sins, do you really want to play any other turn based strategy games?  You will have no life what so ever, lol.  Oh, I like internet checker, or heart, or bridge, or uno?  hahahaha   

October 30, 2008 12:26:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it's not a turn based strategy game, but ummm if you are young and never experienced Dota, then you are kinda missing out, that's just a personal opinion.  It's D-O-T-A.  Check it out. 

October 30, 2008 5:38:25 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Civilization IV

A horrible game.

Too complicated, not much left of the simplicity of Civ, doesn't run in a window (important for turn-based games), and requires its DVD for playing. Also, there is so much graphics, it runs slower than a turn-based game (which has all the time in the world to do its thing) should.

I loved Civ (and especially SMAC) because it managed to create a complicated world based on (relatively) simply basic rules. Later Civ games (after Civ2) introduced too many new rules and units.

I watch DVDs while playing turn-based games. I also switch to other apps a lot. I absolutely need the game to run in a window. Plus there is no need for it to insist on fullscreen mode.

Strategy games have the advantage that the user can wait a second occasionally. There is no need for a strategy game to use all the resources of a given computer.

I don't want to look for and insert the DVD whenever I feel like I want to play a few turns. It's ridiculous.

October 30, 2008 11:18:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Leauki,

Civilization IV

A horrible game.

Too complicated, not much left of the simplicity of Civ, doesn't run in a window (important for turn-based games), and requires its DVD for playing. Also, there is so much graphics, it runs slower than a turn-based game (which has all the time in the world to do its thing) should.

I loved Civ (and especially SMAC) because it managed to create a complicated world based on (relatively) simply basic rules. Later Civ games (after Civ2) introduced too many new rules and units.

I watch DVDs while playing turn-based games. I also switch to other apps a lot. I absolutely need the game to run in a window. Plus there is no need for it to insist on fullscreen mode.

Strategy games have the advantage that the user can wait a second occasionally. There is no need for a strategy game to use all the resources of a given computer.

I don't want to look for and insert the DVD whenever I feel like I want to play a few turns. It's ridiculous.

B'awwwwwwwww. ._. Umm, if you took the time you stop bitching, and looked in the options, you would of noticed that you can disable fullscreen, and tweak the graphics if they were "too much" for you to handle. About the speed, ehh, it's not bad. The games load times on a late marthon game using an almost GB mod are actually drasticly shorter than Civ 3 load times.

Go ahead and dislike it, but use better reasons then you being too lazy to look around the options.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001047   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.