The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Pinned Post

Impulse official support thread

You need help? We're here!

By Posted June 17, 2008 14:41:07

Impulse has been released!

If you have any questions or problems, post here.

+35 Karma 538 Replies 39 Referrals
June 17, 2008 15:01:21
Sure

So I pre-ordered TPM 2008. I got my email a few hours ago with the serial number. Can't see it on SDC at all.

So I got Impulse. Can't see it listed there either. There is an option to manually register it so I did so, entering the serial number.

Get the message 'account is expired' ref. 103.

When I ordered I do recall asking them to change some stuff for me, but this serial number comes of the email I got today, so I assume it should work.
June 17, 2008 15:03:46

We are working on resolving the registration/account issues for TPM 08 as I type this.  You should hopefully receive a new email with corrected details relatively soon.

June 17, 2008 15:05:07
I am having the same problem
June 17, 2008 15:09:58
Still no worky with proxies.

-- [6/17/2008 3:04:30 PM] ----------------------------------------------------
Context: DownloadJob Error - impulse_images/impulse PublicProduction 3.00.093
http://dl1.impulsedriven.com/download.ashx?b=140&v=3.00.093&t=FGwgwUFlgN8BaKkBT23w9AmMa%2fD8bH9I95HuufI5AcB9Ph1Rxj8dCJqqCa39Y83vOxOgkZOQtcy4Z44P7tZhcTxzL5EKQMWHeUSBE3Zw0HWjJ6X6Bopzt3c7h0B%2bKJQ1RJ3iewbXu0X28ufMR%2bkDfcCA2Yf7bERkGeD03oyZsxzgdhhPbLLMwC5uAtH%2b0eel0HmUWJ3kLQ9Xjz1If1WsQLYINGq9cZPPRPXAUn7eZThre5r7mJPGhW8tkPtLX2nhzL4VX5iB9oqTFMhdylCABYsjdym2Dh464GZXkNonrUHembx8QBb%2bTmEw%2f2MGHkd8lEQqkWiL0DzQ7aHtLp2X2Nygkdnvk4owhmMkvd378sLw3dxBh2glRBOo8Z9xtUFgXa%2bpsUyLCXvsLR9Op29XetQDMDmW6XPD8PL7qCL6QkGv3NP3lCWaw4p6PO%2fX6kR9cq8hmKwStifHxYVxG68C9ASai5you1EcJ%2fEvzo4z9frhSg1gyAsyGg%3d%3d&f=The error occurred while the remote file was being processed.

And I *do* have the proxy settings in Impulse set correctly. Otherwise, I receive this error:

-- [6/17/2008 3:03:58 PM] ----------------------------------------------------
Context: GetMinimumVersion
Exception: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.

So after all the time I had thought the proxy code was finally fixed, in that Impulse would actually load up and connect and show my registrations, when it tries to actually download a file, it cannot! Boooooooo!!! Please fix this, or allow us to use SDC forever to update our software!!!
June 17, 2008 15:39:25

So after all the time I had thought the proxy code was finally fixed, in that Impulse would actually load up and connect and show my registrations, when it tries to actually download a file, it cannot! Boooooooo!!! Please fix this, or allow us to use SDC forever to update our software!!!

OpusCroakus,

We have been doing extensive testing with the Proxy code successfuly with many users.  I will direct the developer to your response regarding having the proxy set but being unable to download an Impulse update.

June 17, 2008 15:40:59
Thanks.

That was quick! My registration problem appears solved. TPM 2008 appeared in my games of its own accord and installed quickly and without hitch.

Impulse seems quite good. Are there any other skins / themes for it? Where?
June 17, 2008 15:46:50
Umm, how do i use the IRC channel in the Chat? I've joined the channel, but nobody else is typing, and it won't let me type either. I've read a guide on using IRC, and it says all you have to do is just type in something like 'hello' and hit enter. but whenever i do that in the chat, it says its an invalid command. i must be missing something. ????
June 17, 2008 15:48:49

OpusCroakus,

Could you please send me a couple of error logs.  You should find a download_log.txt and an impulse-errorlog.txt in the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Stardock\Impulse\Temporary

Please send both of those log file to me in email at pford @stardock.com and also provide any pertinent about your proxy setup that you feel can be helpful.

Thanks.

June 17, 2008 15:50:22
I take it all back

TPM 2008 has installed, but despite two tries has not installed to the directory I specified (my Impulse preferences are to prompt me).

Despite the dialog box appearing and appearing to accept my selected location, the game is installed to the default folder. This appears to be an Impulse bug?

It is annoying as the default folder is on the wrong drive.
June 17, 2008 15:59:30
Nice release but this bug is not fixed > DWS-103003 [MyColors Desktop skins "installation loop" under Impulse]

- MyColors Camouflage Desktop
- MyColors Cosmos Desktop
- MyColors Liquidox Desktop
- MyColors Mustang Desktop
- MyColors Omega Desktop

Also, regression for me (tabs) >

My Desktop > All + Featured Demos
Old setup is better > Programs, Themes + Featured Demos
June 17, 2008 16:00:04

"Despite the dialog box appearing and appearing to accept my selected location, the game is installed to the default folder. This appears to be an Impulse bug?

It is annoying as the default folder is on the wrong drive."

Did you change your default location for My Games?  Please note under the Install Location you can specify a different location for each "type" of software.  So if you change it for My Desktop only, My Games will still be defaulted to c:\program files.

June 17, 2008 16:18:38
Why is there no minimize to dock button when the custom skin is disabled? Shouldn't the button be on the page,not the frame?
June 17, 2008 16:19:20
Why is there no minimize to dock button when the custom skin is disabled? Shouldn't the button be on the page,not the frame?

Ditto, bad planning on SD's part on this little thing
June 17, 2008 16:23:31
Or make it an option in preferences"minimize to..."
June 17, 2008 16:26:00
Another thing, when I rename a shortcut it doesn't stick until I rename something else and then go back and rename the first thing.
June 17, 2008 16:38:33
One last thing and I'll shut up. It has four default tabs,why can't I manage those?They are listed in manage tabs are they not?If and when I need the "tools", "games"or "office" tabs,I think either I or Impulse are smart enough to activate them.Well,Impulse,anyway.
June 17, 2008 16:42:33
Another few things, sometimes shortcuts don't delete, and why does the dock come back up after I quit an app?
June 17, 2008 18:01:05
Impulse won't load for me. I have downloaded both the Web installer and the complete installer, and have installed both. I have rebooted my computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled .Net. Whenever I run Impulse, csc.exe and cvtres.exe both load, and the whole process tree just hangs there. I have let this run for more than 5 uninterrupted minutes to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J
June 17, 2008 18:02:52
Why is there no minimize to dock button when the custom skin is disabled?

I also wondered if that is something with a remedy in the works.

One thing I have noticed is that the little button to click to edit registrations always shows up covering logged on indicator. I tried various things to see if this was because of a certain situation but it seems to do it every time I open whether I have it launching full screen or not and whether I have Disable Custom skin checked or not. Once you resize the Impulse window though it fixes itself.

Also while looking into this I also just noticed that every time I minimize Impulse to the dock and then bring it back up again it has resized itself and the max/min buttons will not do anything when I try to use them until I have again minimized to the dock and then brought it back up again.

Also I had asked in another thread if you would be able to change the postion of the dock which it appears you can not. Just wondering if that will be changing in the future or not. I like it docked to the bottom the only problem is I recently purchased OD+ and I always keep that docked to the bottom of the screen. If I could reposition the Impulse dock to one side or the other of the screen(still along the bottom) then I could have them both running without the problem of one overlaying the other.

I also just want to say I really like the icons that were included to be used when you add a new category to the dock.

Edit:

Just wondering if we are supposed to report things strictly about the platform here or also about things within the Impulse community.

What made me think of this is I received an email from someone trying to add me to their friends list and it made me wonder if we can turn off receiving emails when someone tries to add you. I'd rather just see what invites and such are there when I log in to Impulse.

Also when I went to the friends tab in Impulse it said there were 11 friend invitations pending but when i clicked on manage there was actually only one request.

I tell ya it broke my heart

No, but seriously just wanted to let you know in case it was a glitch that wasn't happening just to me.

June 17, 2008 18:19:41

I've had the beta for a while. Have used it sparingly, but the last couple of times I have started it up it goes through the logging in and then says "Downloading Impulse Update - Connecting" on the lower left corner the entire rest of the time it's on. The rest of it seems to work fine except for the thing with TA not showing installed.

Do I need to uninstall the beta version and then install the release version, because it doesn't seem to be updating itself anymore?

June 17, 2008 18:21:53
Also when I went to the friends tab in Impulse it said there were 11 friend invitations pending but when i clicked on manage there was actually only one request.

When I sent out a few friend requests....it said I had 1616 pending requests. Do I even know that many people???? ????

June 17, 2008 18:27:18
Do I need to uninstall the beta version and then install the release version, because it doesn't seem to be updating itself anymore?
You shouldn't need to uninstall.  If you want, you can delete the XML files and everything will update.
June 17, 2008 18:28:07
When I sent out a few friend requests....it said I had 1616 pending requests. Do I even know that many people????
Crazy!  That's a lot of friends!
June 17, 2008 18:37:47
When I sent out a few friend requests....it said I had 1616 pending requests. Do I even know that many people????

Crazy! That's a lot of friends!

He'll probably have that many added by the end of the week.
June 17, 2008 18:41:48
Apparently there's an update but I keep getting an exception every time it tries to update.
Stardock Forums v1.5.3141.15280
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 03:14:36
Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000016   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gas Powered Games and Demigod are trademarks of Gas Powered Games Corp. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Stardock and the Stardock logo are registered trademarks of Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.