The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Pinned Post

Impulse official support thread

You need help? We're here!

By Posted June 17, 2008 14:41:07

Impulse has been released!

If you have any questions or problems, post here.

+35 Karma 538 Replies 39 Referrals
June 17, 2008 23:52:49
Yeah . . I'm confused too.  You could copy the dock data files to another PC with Impulse installed and the shortcuts would appear.  And if the apps were installed on the same relative paths the shortcuts would work.

If you installed Impulse on another PC you could install all your apps and they'd appear on the dock.
June 17, 2008 23:55:51
Aaaggggggggghhh! I know that this is new and lots of teething probs....but I can't do any installing at all....I get this msg

"Please wait until Impulse finishes connecting to install an application"

It would be great if it eventually connected. Who's end is the problem?
June 17, 2008 23:57:35
Aaaggggggggghhh! I know that this is new and lots of teething probs....but I can't do any installing at all....I get this msg
What version of Impulse are you running?
June 18, 2008 00:01:47
Impulse v3.00 - updated June 17, 2008
June 18, 2008 00:18:54
How long have you left it connected?  Firewall?  Proxy?
June 18, 2008 00:29:31
Is there anyway to drag the shortcuts around within Impulse and reorganise them?

At the moment it seems one is limited to putting up with the order the tabs are placed in as Impulse sees fit.

Good job on the release though!
June 18, 2008 00:42:33
At the moment it seems one is limited to putting up with the order the tabs are placed in as Impulse sees fit.

Click the little plus sign at the end of the tabs then click Manage Tabs then use the arrows to move the tabs into the order you want them in.
June 18, 2008 01:00:38
I have been hanging at "Downloading Impulse Update - Connecting" for over 15 mins with no progress.
June 18, 2008 01:01:45
1) I can't get it to update DesktopX. It just keeps running the program rather than giving me the option to, you know, update. The Update tab, however, is red.

2) If I minimize it to the dock, it won't return to fullscreen unless I manually resize it a bit first.

3) A bit more information on the demos would be nice. As it is, it seems to just start the download, but with no clue as to how the demo works (what it includes, how functionality is impaired, how long it works, etc.). A page for each would be nice.
June 18, 2008 01:39:18
So far I only noticed one small bug, besides the missing "minimize to dock"-button for the non-standard skins:

When I untick "Overwrite archive on update" - then close Impulse - then re-open Impulse, I noticed that "overwrite archive" is again ticked. I can untick all morning and it is still ticked whenever I open Impulse.
Rebooting between attempts of unticking doesn't work either. Other settings like "Disable user-skin" seem to work normally.

As a feature, I would like to be able to move the default shortcuts from one tab to the other as well.
For example. I have created a "MyColors"-tab and would like to move all MyColors-suites to that tab, instead the default "My Desktop".

Otherwise I have to say congrats: Impulse seems much snappier now, and there is even a throbber.
June 18, 2008 06:04:37
As a feature, I would like to be able to move the default shortcuts from one tab to the other as well.
For example. I have created a "MyColors"-tab and would like to move all MyColors-suites to that tab, instead the default "My Desktop".

I'm not sure about the themes, as I do not have any myself, but I know with the programs such as the pieces of ObjectDesktop that are pre-populated in Impulse you can do drag and drop reorganization by way of the dock. That will switch their location in the main Impulse interface not just on the dock.
June 18, 2008 06:40:17

I own a physical copy of Unreal Tournament 3, and from all the hype I've heard about Impulse i figured that my physical copy of UT3 would be redeemable for a digital copy of UT3 on the impulse service. however when i put the CD key in this was not the case at all, giving me a error message saying this is not a supported serial number. Am i wrong in thinking i could do that or did i do something wrong to redeem my copy

June 18, 2008 07:24:27
I know with the programs such as the pieces of ObjectDesktop that are pre-populated in Impulse you can do drag and drop reorganization by way of the dock.

Thanks for the info Zakai, I have to try that one when I'm back home.
June 18, 2008 07:57:20
I have, what I believe to be, current versions of both Dark Avatar and Twilight of the Arnor.
Dark Avatar version 1.80g.100
Twilight of the Arnor version 1.91.021
both last updated on May 1, 2008.

IMPULSE shows an upgrade available for DA, Stardock Central does not. It also seems to think I need to download TA, again SDC does not.

How might I fix this?

ps. Impulse is version 3.00.202
June 18, 2008 08:23:13

How can I solve this?

Birger
June 18, 2008 09:02:32
I'm having a problem with Impulse archiving the latest Iconpackager. It gets to 98% and then craps out.
June 18, 2008 09:15:22
"Despite the dialog box appearing and appearing to accept my selected location, the game is installed to the default folder. This appears to be an Impulse bug?It is annoying as the default folder is on the wrong drive."

Did you change your default location for My Games??? Please note under the Install Location you can specify a different location for each "type" of software.?? So if you change it for My Desktop only, My Games will still be defaulted to c:\program files.
??

I checked the 'prompt' box, and it prompted me with a dialog during installation of the game. So I assume the default is irrelevant.

Please can you look into this?
June 18, 2008 09:17:34
I own a physical copy of Unreal Tournament 3, and from all the hype I've heard about Impulse i figured that my physical copy of UT3 would be redeemable for a digital copy of UT3 on the impulse service. however when i put the CD key in this was not the case at all, giving me a error message saying this is not a supported serial number. Am i wrong in thinking i could do that or did i do something wrong to redeem my copy
Stardock is trying to set up systems like that but they are not in place now.
June 18, 2008 09:19:31
How can I solve this?
Mindtooth, what were you trying to do?  What OS?  etc
June 18, 2008 09:21:36
I have, what I believe to be, current versions of both Dark Avatar and Twilight of the Arnor. Dark Avatar version 1.80g.100Twilight of the Arnor version 1.91.021 both last updated on May 1, 2008.IMPULSE shows an upgrade available for DA, Stardock Central does not. It also seems to think I need to download TA, again SDC does not.How might I fix this?ps. Impulse is version 3.00.202

As a follow up: I could not see the version number for DA in IMPULSE due to the game icon hiding the end of the text. So, I used a print key and enlarged that portion of the screen. I now see that the version number IS different for DA ..103 instead of ...100.

Not sure why SDC doesn't offer an upgrade to ...103, though.
June 18, 2008 09:30:16
@Zubaz: Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit). Trying to run Impulse after a reinstallation.

Birger
June 18, 2008 09:32:44
the last three digits in a version between Impulse and SDC don't matter.  That's just a server thing.
June 18, 2008 09:33:47
Thanks for the info Zakai, I have to try that one when I'm back home.

No problem
June 18, 2008 09:38:56
@mindtouch: Have you messed with UAC prior to this?  And Impulse did work initially, right?  Why the reinstallation?
June 18, 2008 09:45:13
Is it possible to move the dock to the top of the screen?
Stardock Forums v1.5.3141.15280
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 03:18:21
Server Load Time: 00:00:00   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gas Powered Games and Demigod are trademarks of Gas Powered Games Corp. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Stardock and the Stardock logo are registered trademarks of Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.