The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Which PC Tablet is best

Need help with choosing right one

By on October 3, 2012 8:21:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I commute to and from work and time I spend commuting is a lost time. So I am thinking to buy tablet to do some work while travelling. I am anti apple guy so iPad is out of the window.

I would love to use it to do some Python programming, watch Videos and work with spreadsheets, presentations etc.   

Money is no obstacle. The only concern I have is fast development in sector and potentially buying something and after 1 week down the road new one comes to the market that would suits my needs better.   

I am surfing the web to find right one and currently I am divided between Google Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 Any thoughts of those from you "real life" users that weren't paid to write a review of it 

I found some hints regarding Samsung has Galaxy tab 3. But nothing solid yet. Anyone knows anything definite.  

+23 Karma | 48 Replies
October 3, 2012 8:29:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I assume commuting is done on a bus, subway, train, tram, etc.?

Driving would be hard to do while computing.

October 3, 2012 8:33:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you plan on doing all that while driving, you don't need a tablet. The coroner will provide a slab.

October 3, 2012 8:37:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
If you plan on doing all that while driving, you don't need a tablet. The coroner will provide a slab

Karma for making Bison LMAO....

October 3, 2012 8:44:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes commuting is done on public transport.... It wouldn't be very healthy for me to drive and do any of that stuff

October 3, 2012 8:58:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The iPad is what all the rest are striving to be. 

Retina display, fast 4G LTE speeds, improved camera and an unbeatable selection of apps make the new iPad the best tablet, period.

Go ahead and buy an iPad, unless you want to settle for second best.

October 3, 2012 9:06:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
The iPad is what all the rest are striving to be.

More a case of 'no matter how much better the opposition is.....Apple thought of it first' [which makes you wonder why the hell didn't they make theirs as good in the first place?  Oh, wait....enforced monopoly]

October 3, 2012 9:07:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After Windows 8 comes out later in October there will be a number of new, more capable Windows tablets available.    I am no expert, but I believe the idea is to be able to do a lot more of what a PC does on these new tablets.     One interesting sidelight is the potential for game ports from PC to Windows tablets.

October 3, 2012 9:11:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, I know it's the phone...but if you think the hype around the iPad is any different ......

October 3, 2012 9:49:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Reduced 37%Original 610 x 1179

Yes, I know it's the phone...but if you think the hype around the iPad is any different ......

That may be the phone that drags me out of the iOS zone. Waiting to get my paws on a Lumia 920 also, then I'll make a choice. (and probably drop AT&T to boot)

October 4, 2012 12:21:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would look at the Galaxy Note 10.1. If I was in the market for a new tablet the GNote 10.1 would be my first choice. 

October 4, 2012 12:28:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting xaltotun,
After Windows 8 comes out later in October there will be a number of new, more capable Windows tablets available.

I agree and prices on all tablets are likely to get a little better at the end of the month.

October 4, 2012 1:28:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Asus T700

October 4, 2012 3:39:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

obviously the tablet that has your favourite flavour and or poison.

harpo

October 4, 2012 4:27:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Didn't even know ASUS had tablets.....

Yeah T700 specs and reviews are very impresive. 

@joasoze

Do you own one? In one of reviews I read they mention that power adapter gets up to 60+ degrees Celsius. For me this is a  bit on the hot side. Have you noticed this on yours as well?

October 4, 2012 4:49:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I havent gotten the Asus yet, as it has been very slow to arrive here in Norway. I have read a lot about it and it is on the top of my list to buy.

October 4, 2012 4:56:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

if you want a tablet, get an iPad.

but if you want to do coding, then do not get tablet. get an ultrabook. do not even think about docked keyboards. that stuff only works when you sit on a table, not on your lap.

October 4, 2012 5:08:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ipad is on my list right below pen and paper

October 4, 2012 5:23:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
if you want a tablet, get an iPad.

Why live the boring life as a mere bottomfeeder when you can live the happy life at the Surface?

I'm looking forward to the end of this month to get to the Surface.

October 4, 2012 6:00:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the surface? depends on personal usage scenarios i guess.

i'm curious. what are you going to do with it? do you want to use desktop applications on that small screen with a crappy keyboard and without a mouse or trackpad? pretty expensive for a bad user experience, isn't it?

October 4, 2012 6:28:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
do you want to use desktop applications on that small screen with a crappy keyboard and without a mouse or trackpad? pretty expensive for a bad user experience, isn't it?

Have you tried it?

October 4, 2012 6:31:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you buy a Surface why on earth not buy a decent notebook for half the price?

October 4, 2012 6:44:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting moshi,
but if you want to do coding, then do not get tablet. get an ultrabook.

Yeah I want to do coding and I already own laptop. The thing is I want to have something that is light, fast in terms of power up and getting out of the "bag" and easy to use. Sort of when you are on the run and you don't want to spend time to set everything up.... Laptop I got doesn't fit that bill

As for writing and executing the code. Well as long as I can write it (I know notepad is enough for that) and port it to my desktop when at home to run it I am fine with it. I own Samsung Galaxy S2. Its capable to do Python but its screen it's a bit small for that.

So bigger screen, portability and fast setup are main reason to go for it. But then I am thinking if I am investing I want to invest in something that can be used for different tasks and will be usable for at least couple of years before it becomes obsolete.

October 4, 2012 6:50:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Quoting moshi, reply 19do you want to use desktop applications on that small screen with a crappy keyboard and without a mouse or trackpad? pretty expensive for a bad user experience, isn't it?

Have you tried it?

the "big" surface is rumored to have a resolution of 1900x1200. if i take a desktop screenshot of that size and put it on the iPad i can see very well that it is not possible to tap less than two buttons or menu entries at once.

it might be that the surface has an option to reduce display resolution to half, so it will be possible to actually work with it. then half of the fixed size windows will not be displayed fully on the screen.

i can see that the surface can be useful. for salesmen for example. this is why i was asking what you are going to do with it.

October 4, 2012 6:56:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
As for writing and executing the code. Well as long as I can write it (I know notepad is enough for that) and port it to my desktop when at home to run it I am fine with it. I own Samsung Galaxy S2. Its capable to do Python but its screen it's a bit small for that.

you can type text on any tablet. but do you really want to type code on a tablet?

there are apps for this, but i can't imagine coding with a tablet:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/python-for-ios/id485729872?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vim/id492668168?mt=8

October 4, 2012 7:30:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes because I spend 2h a day commuting. That is 12h a week that I am not productive at all. Time that could be used for something. I do have similar program on my android phone but overview of already written code is almost non existent. That is why I need bigger screen. 

As for apple products. They might be good looking but I am definitely not bling guy. And that is really all they are. As I said I am not into Apple products if anything I am very anti Apple product guy. So I am not interested in Apple iPads iLost or any other apple i .....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.