The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Which PC Tablet is best

Need help with choosing right one

By on October 3, 2012 8:21:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I commute to and from work and time I spend commuting is a lost time. So I am thinking to buy tablet to do some work while travelling. I am anti apple guy so iPad is out of the window.

I would love to use it to do some Python programming, watch Videos and work with spreadsheets, presentations etc.   

Money is no obstacle. The only concern I have is fast development in sector and potentially buying something and after 1 week down the road new one comes to the market that would suits my needs better.   

I am surfing the web to find right one and currently I am divided between Google Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 Any thoughts of those from you "real life" users that weren't paid to write a review of it 

I found some hints regarding Samsung has Galaxy tab 3. But nothing solid yet. Anyone knows anything definite.  

+23 Karma | 48 Replies
October 4, 2012 7:38:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

but the new IWant has bigger blings, more sparkle and everyone is getting one

October 4, 2012 7:44:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
the "big" surface is rumored to have a resolution of 1900x1200. if i take a desktop screenshot of that size and put it on the iPad i can see very well that it is not possible to tap less than two buttons or menu entries at once.

it might be that the surface has an option to reduce display resolution to half, so it will be possible to actually work with it. then half of the fixed size windows will not be displayed fully on the screen.

Quoting Snowman,
Have you tried it?

I'd boil that Apple-dribbeling iSpeech down to a 'no', which then makes your opinion useless/pointless to me/anyone.

Have a nice day.

October 4, 2012 7:45:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Please lets not make this into anti apple thread

October 4, 2012 8:01:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Quoting moshi, reply 23the "big" surface is rumored to have a resolution of 1900x1200. if i take a desktop screenshot of that size and put it on the iPad i can see very well that it is not possible to tap less than two buttons or menu entries at once.

it might be that the surface has an option to reduce display resolution to half, so it will be possible to actually work with it. then half of the fixed size windows will not be displayed fully on the screen.

Quoting Snowman, reply 20Have you tried it?

I'd boil that Apple-dribbeling iSpeech down to a 'no', which then makes your opinion useless/pointless to me/anyone.

Have a nice day.

not fully true. i tried a Windows 7 tablet (slate) in a store once. unusable without a stylus even with a smaller resolution than the surface.

but have fun with your surface (if you can afford it)

October 4, 2012 8:25:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Once my HP Touchpad dies (running ICS) I'll likely go with the Nexus 7 but the galaxy Note is looking good.

October 4, 2012 8:36:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would say a Nexus 7 would be the next best alternative, but nothing beats an iPad and the app ecosystem that it has.

October 4, 2012 9:06:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nexus 7.  For the price, it's hard to match what it can do, and I know there are Python-specific dev apps, as well as some more generic ones that could probably be used for it as well.

October 4, 2012 9:26:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I really like my fujitsu convertible tablet. i7, Nvidia graphics card. CD disk drive. 3 usb ports, HDMI, touch, pen, and pressure sensitive screen, keyboard. 

It and my phone are the only two computing devices i own. 

October 4, 2012 11:29:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like my Nexus 7, so I'll endorse that option.

October 4, 2012 12:10:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You might consider a Samsung Series 7 Slate (it's a full windows 7 PC in slate, i.e. tablet, form factor.) Though I suspect there will be a new version out with Windows 8.

October 4, 2012 1:06:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Of course you could always wait for the Surface.

October 4, 2012 3:32:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All great suggestions except from apple guys   (joking).

I really like ASUS T700. So I am choosing between ASUS T700 and Samsung Galaxy tab 2. I put a lot of thought in Nexus 7 as well but I am a bit vary of it because it is so cheap. I want to buy once so I am good for few years and I am not sure If nexus will be competitive.....  

But yes those 2 are frontrunners for me. I do think that if slate hype proves to be true there will be some pressure on other 2 so there might be some price reductions...  

October 4, 2012 10:55:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting joasoze,
Ipad is on my list right below pen and paper

this is a good one,,lol

October 5, 2012 9:49:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
All great suggestions except from apple guys   (joking).

I really like ASUS T700. So I am choosing between ASUS T700 and Samsung Galaxy tab 2. I put a lot of thought in Nexus 7 as well but I am a bit vary of it because it is so cheap. I want to buy once so I am good for few years and I am not sure If nexus will be competitive.....  

But yes those 2 are frontrunners for me. I do think that if slate hype proves to be true there will be some pressure on other 2 so there might be some price reductions...  

FYI that Asus makes the Nexus 7.

My wife has a Nexus 7 and it's a very solid device.  Really love the 7" form factor.  For me I believe it's "cheap" because it's a no frills tablet.  Doesn't have 3G, no SD slot, only a front facing camera...things like that.   The best thing about it is that it's pure Jelly Bean and doesn't have junk from carriers or manufacturers on it.  Same as my Samsung Nexus phone (that you get from the Play store).

Plus Google is putting the N7 up against the Kindle competition wise, thus the price as well.  Once Apple comes out with the iPad mini in the next month or so I've seen plenty of rumors of an N7 price drop as well as a 32 gb version.  They are also releasing a 3G version of the N7 as well in case you need that.  Personally I just tether the N7 to my phone if no WiFi is available.

October 5, 2012 2:39:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes for N7 it doesn't have all those features other have therefore it will probably become obsolete sooner. And when I say cheap I mean cheap compared to other tablets

October 5, 2012 2:56:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Take a look at the ASUS B121.  Runs on an Intel i5 processor and Windows 7 pro.  12 inch screen which doubles as a WACOM digitizer (with included pen).

Not familiar with Python, but I have WINDOWS Office Pro loaded and all of them work well.

October 5, 2012 5:32:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would pay in the mid to high hundreds for a tablet, not when there are similar but better priced units available.  I recently picked up a real bargain tablet for just 59 bucks on line.  It normally retails for around $230ish, and usually sells online for about $169, which is still a reasonable price, but for a never to be repeated mad 15 minutes it was going for just $59 so I grabbed one....

AMOE 10.1" 1280 x 800 IPS 1.2GHz Dual Core, 3D Dual Camera, HDMI OTG WIFI, Android 4.0.3 Tablet PC... has 2gb memory and 16gb of storage, expandable to 48gb with 32gb SD memory card, Bluetooth and up to 6 - 8 hour battery life.

Okay, so it's not one of the highly vaunted iPads or Samsung Galaxies and not a well-known brand name, but it will more than serve our needs... and I can't sneeze at the price.  It looks just like any other pad and has the same operating system as many of the more expensive brands, so what's to complain about!   Quality? 

Yeah, well given the throw away mentality of most manufacturers these days, I don't know that such a thing exists anymore, and even if I spend a couple of hundred bucks going through 3 of these in the same time as a Galaxy owner goes through his/her $500 - $600 pad, then I still come out in front, cost-wise, don't I!

Anyhow, I still prefer a desktop PC and the tablet is just a fill-in for times when I can't get to my 'beast' and quickly need a bit of info or something, so I'm not likely to wear it out any time soon.

October 5, 2012 7:12:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Like someone said previously, you can type code (.txt) on ANY tablet device.   The 7" ones are easier to handle, carry and store but typing on them is kind of a chore. (especially if you've got fat fingers like me!)  One thing to be aware of,  Some tablets, like the iPad, do not have a way to add more storage, like SD slots.  Another thing to take note of,  I paid about $400 for my tablet with 32 GB of memory,  I believe the T700 also has 32 GB,  Others cost the same but have 16 GB or even 8 GB of memory.  The Nexus, also made by ASUS, is getting very good reviews.  I would test out the typing for these before purchasing.

I've had a Nook Color, which I rooted to load more apps.  Nice but not powerful enough.  I got an Acer A100 Tab.  Nice, but terrible battery life and viewing angle was very narrow.   I then got an ASUS TF300T and I am loving it!  32 GB memory with optional 32 GB micro SD card.  Has micro HDMI out so I can plug into a big screen. (not used yet)  I also got the $150.00 keyboard dock, which gives up to 15 Hrs of playback, but aside from full sized SD slot and USB port,  it practically turns it into a netbook.  I find typing on the 10.1" screen MUCH easier than on the 7 inchers, so I rarely use the dock.  Battery life for the TF300T is very good!  I use it to listen to music for 4 or 5 hours each day and only have to charge it every other day.   If I had waited about a month, I would have gotten the T700 Infinity, but as usual, as soon as I buy something, a bigger, better version comes out!

October 5, 2012 7:27:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DanDaBear,
I also got the $150.00 keyboard dock, which gives up to 15 Hrs of playback

What, $150 for a keyboard dock?  Shoot, I bought a protective leather case for my cheapie and it came with a Bluetooth keyboard for 28 bucks.... but then I'm a just tight arse.

October 5, 2012 7:31:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DanDaBear,
for my tablet with 32 GB of memory,

That's storage, not 'memory'..... Spell checker ...

October 6, 2012 5:26:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
What, $150 for a keyboard dock?  Shoot, I bought a protective leather case for my cheapie and it came with a Bluetooth keyboard for 28 bucks.... but then I'm a just tight arse.

the extra 15 hrs is the main thing here. that's pretty nice when you are travelling long distances.

October 6, 2012 6:19:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,

Quoting starkers, reply 44What, $150 for a keyboard dock?  Shoot, I bought a protective leather case for my cheapie and it came with a Bluetooth keyboard for 28 bucks.... but then I'm a just tight arse.

the extra 15 hrs is the main thing here. that's pretty nice when you are travelling long distances.

Well I'm not likely to be traveling long distances any time soon, so that's not an issue for me.  Besides, this keyboard has a USB plug as well, so if the batteries ever did go flat I an plug it in and recharge at the same time. Not only that, how many pads have as 15 hour battery life anyhow?

In fact I picked up a few other accessories to help make the pad more useful/usable for when the Mrs travels interstate to see her daughter and grandkids: a travel kit that contains retractable 3 USB leads, a mouse and just about every conceivable connector one could possibly need; a 7 port powered USB hub; a mini multi card reader; a pair of portable mini speakers; headphones and microphone for skype, ect; a USB LCD lamp and a tablet pen to save wear and tear on the screen.  Got the whole lot for under 50 bucks online and the entire kit fits in a compact brief case that's smaller than her 17'' laptop and easily goes inside her in-flight carry-on bag. 

To go with all that, the travel pack includes a 32gb SD card for additional internal storage, a 500gb portable HDD and portable DVD burner that we already had, so there should never be a problem with transporting and sharing family videos and photos, etc. 

Yup, I pretty well thought of everything... well I hope so.

October 8, 2012 4:52:52 PM from GUIChamps Forums GUIChamps Forums

I have been using an Asus Eee slate. 12" touch and pen tablet and it is the best system buy I have ever made. LOVE it!1

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000687   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.