The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fallen Enchantress updated screenshots

By on July 18, 2012 7:12:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Stardock is having a pretty good Summer and the good luck continues!  Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a huge hit! The Political Machine 2012 is due out at the end of July. And our new fantasy strategy game, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, is about to go into beta 4.

First, a brief catch up:

Elemental is a world filled with magic, monsters, and an epic history.

Fallen Enchantress is a strategy game that takes place in that world.  It is approximately a century since a great cataclysm took place and now the world has been overrrun with monsters, bandits, and ancient terrors.  It is up to you to build a kingdom from the ground up to bring civilization back to the world.

Fallen Enchantress Beta 4 is around improving the UI and making your cities more interesting and special. We’ve also continued to enhance the elements found previously such as the graphics, animation, balance, AI, stability, performance, etc.

Here are some screenshots that you might have seen online:

CityTypes

When a settlement reaches a certain population, the player can choose its specialization which determines what city improvements are available.

FE_Economic_System

Cities in Fallen Enchantress use up multiple tiles based on what you build.  In Beta 4, players no longer have to manually place where they put improvements. Instead, players choose an improvement and it is placed for them. Additional improvements will tend to replace an existing one. This solves a problem we found in previous betas where cities became sprawling across the world and made navigation tedious late game (and it saves a lot of memory too).

New_Main_UI

We revamped the main user interface to be more intuitive and yet provide more information at the same time.  Now, what you see here is a later-gameish look so there’s a lot more “stuff” here. But as you can see, it’s overall a lot cleaner.  You can look at it and get an idea of what is going on.

NewClothMap

The cloth map has been revamped (planning on redoing the rivers too).  Unlike most (as in, pretty much every strategy game out there), you can rotate and zoom in on the map any way you want. You can zoom in and see an individual peasant working on a farm or zoom out and see a strategic view of the world presented like a fantasy cloth map.

NewResources

Beta 4 introduces a 3 core resource.  Previously, there were two: Grain and Materials. Grain could be converted into food or other things that might build up your economy. Materials could be converted into production or other things that increase how fast you can build things.  Beta 4 brings back the concept of Essence.  When the Cataclysm nearly wiped out the world, the powerful magic users known as the Titans, were consumed and their essence spread about the world. Essence can be used by Sorcerers (which you are one in the game) to cast powerful spells, enhance cities, and build incredibly powerful improvements that can turn the tide in a war.

We don’t anticipate Beta 4 coming out until August 16th. Sorry for the wait on this but there’s a lot of polish, testing, balancing, and UI to get in there.  And there will be a Beta 5 after Beta 4 at which point we’ll start thinking about a release date.  We’re in no hurry.  The objective here is to create the best fantasy strategy game we can possibly make.

Locked Post 48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 18, 2012 7:40:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock is having a pretty good Summer and the good luck continues! Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a huge hit!

This is always good to hear

we allowed to have any idea on what Beta 5 might encompass?

July 18, 2012 7:54:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Grizzyloins,

Sure! Things not addressed in Beta 4!

July 18, 2012 8:09:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Draginol,
Quoting Grizzyloins, reply 1

You sir are a scholar & a gentlemen.  I thank you to no end for your generosity

July 18, 2012 8:11:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glad to see y'all are taking your time.  Yeah, it's painful to wait...but there are other games in the meantime

Alot's already been said, so just keep up the good work.

July 18, 2012 8:18:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Grizzyloins,

Stardock is having a pretty good Summer and the good luck continues! Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a huge hit!

This is always good to hear

Yea, its very good for team morale.

Despite that, congratulations for the great success SD. It only remarks your commitment with your work and consumers. Keep doing Great, we wont acept less than that.

The cloth map has been revamped (planning on redoing the rivers too).

Please, give rivers some love. The game art is geting even better, rivers should get along.

July 18, 2012 9:03:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Really really really love the look of the new cloth map.  You guys rock.  Thanks for all of the hard work.  Can't wait to try Beta 4!

July 18, 2012 9:15:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excited!

July 18, 2012 9:20:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do you still get the city level up screen after level 2?

July 18, 2012 10:25:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
In Beta 4, players no longer have to manually place where they put improvements. Instead, players choose an improvement and it is placed for them. Additional improvements will tend to replace an existing one. This solves a problem we found in previous betas where cities became sprawling across the world and made navigation tedious late game.

Really not the change to cities I was hoping for. Would have preferred some inspiration flowing in from Warlock, which did tile based improvements very well. At this point you have pretty much removed the feature, which wasn't necessary. Cities sprawling across the map was far from a problem, it was actually pretty cool. The problem was that there wasn't anything interesting attached to that system, things one would expect like improvements you'd want to build on specific tile types (IE mills), or reasons to place certain improvements near each other. Instead of taking an interesting feature and expanding on it, you've cut it and for whatever reason made that a highlight of your update list.

The navigation issues could have been solved other ways, like only having the town center tile as the actual city and the surrounding improvements act like road tiles.

July 18, 2012 11:01:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

quoting postIn Beta 4, players no longer have to manually place where they put improvements. Instead, players choose an improvement and it is placed for them. Additional improvements will tend to replace an existing one. This solves a problem we found in previous betas where cities became sprawling across the world and made navigation tedious late game.

Really not the change to cities I was hoping for. Would have preferred some inspiration flowing in from Warlock, which did tile based improvements very well. At this point you have pretty much removed the feature, which wasn't necessary. Cities sprawling across the map was far from a problem, it was actually pretty cool. The problem was that there wasn't anything interesting attached to that system, things one would expect like improvements you'd want to build on specific tile types (IE mills), or reasons to place certain improvements near each other. Instead of taking an interesting feature and expanding on it, you've cut it and for whatever reason made that a highlight of your update list.

The navigation issues could have been solved other ways, like only having the town center tile as the actual city and the surrounding improvements act like road tiles.

My biggest problem with this is it is way harder to get river based buildings and forest based buildings, but we will see, I probably will not be bothered that much anyways.

I always hoped they would address the teleporting ability of cities, just feels wrong, but the cities look cool. Then again, its a rather intricate system to rework how entering and exiting cities would work, without having enemies stomping through your cities etc.

Overall I am very pleased with the looks of beta 4 and really want to play it before I start thinking inside the box... Hmm wait... Why think in a box
I am pretty sure its gonna be a damn nice update though

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

July 18, 2012 11:50:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

verygood!

July 19, 2012 12:35:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Either that screenshot is a coincidence or now the message centers the camera on the appropriate city.

Thanks for filling us in and mid-august is a loooooooooooooooong time. 

July 19, 2012 1:50:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We don’t anticipate Beta 4 coming out until August 16th. Sorry for the wait on this but there’s a lot of polish, testing, balancing, and UI to get in there.  And there will be a Beta 5 after Beta 4 at which point we’ll start thinking about a release date.  We’re in no hurry.  The objective here is to create the best fantasy strategy game we can possibly make.

August 16th...NOOOOOO! That long to wait?  Still, I think it says a lot about how far FE has come that I really can't wait to try Beta 4.  It is looking very good. 

I am also glad to hear that there will be a beta 5 - one that will hopefully be dedicated to fixing odds and ends, such as the army stacking mechanic that drives me crazy (why did unit X get left behind when I moved the army!?!  Argh!), as well as making champion defeats more painful with either a chance of death, capture, or loot drops.

July 19, 2012 3:21:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice !  ...  Lots of tantalizing food for thought, in this Fallen Enchantress (Beta 4) Update  ... 

Thanks for the Update; and thanks for your continuing hard work, and the continuing hard work of Derek Paxton, and all your Development Team members !        

Special Shout-out to the Art Direction Team:  specifically, Art Director: Paul Boyer; and his team: Akil Dawkins, Jue "Leo" Li, Kay Fedewa, James Arvin, Scott Tykoski, and Cristian Scubli.  You folks rock!  You are creating, polishing, and extending a unique look, to this latest generation of 4x game ...

July 19, 2012 5:13:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not an AAR but I'll settle for some really nice shiny new highres pictures for now! Looking excellent guys. Shame about the delay but with Endless Space and Warlock (1.2) there's enough to keep me busy till the 16th.

Really looking forward to trying out beta 4 on my new laptop.

Oh and please give us that AAR in about two weeks. Pretty please...

July 19, 2012 5:38:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,

Special Shout-out to the Art Direction Team:  specifically, Art Director: Paul Boyer; and his team: Akil Dawkins, Jue "Leo" Li, Kay Fedewa, James Arvin, Scott Tykoski, and Cristian Scubli.  You folks rock!  You are creating, polishing, and extending a unique look, to this latest generation of 4x game ...

Oh yes! Can't wait to see what these people can do for Jon Shafer's Galactic Civilizations III. (But first things first; Elemental is starting to look fantastic, closing in for the masterpiece title.)

July 19, 2012 6:17:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glad to hear about the rivers! They're clearly the art asset most sorely in need of improvement at the moment in the game.

July 19, 2012 6:47:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Draginol,

Like Ships (river and sea)?

July 19, 2012 7:26:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
Quoting Draginol, reply 2

Like Ships (river and sea)?

Probably not, I think those are cut until further notice. Waterwalk is alot more likely, the AI can handle that better.

What is an AAR?

July 19, 2012 7:43:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After action report. Basically a write-up about something soon after you did it.

July 19, 2012 8:03:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tomasp3n,
What is an AAR?

I asked the same question here and got quite the elaborate answer
http://forums.elementalgame.com/428409

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

July 19, 2012 9:22:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

quoting postIn Beta 4, players no longer have to manually place where they put improvements. Instead, players choose an improvement and it is placed for them. Additional improvements will tend to replace an existing one. This solves a problem we found in previous betas where cities became sprawling across the world and made navigation tedious late game.

I don't think there is anything in your post that I don't disagree with. Removing on the map building was long overdue, and hasn't been taken far enough imo. It's still there, only now instead of expanding outwards you'll build up (more, depending on the number of improvements and nearby resources cities will probably still get quite large). Manual placement has been disabled to prevent exploits (finally).
As for the aesthetics part, I thought the sprawling cities were butt-ugly (not talking about the art here), and took away a lot of the feeling of scale in the game. It turned continents into islands, lakes into ponds, and forests into parks.

July 19, 2012 1:13:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
Manual placement has been disabled to prevent exploits (finally).

I'm not going to touch the other parts of your posts because those are your opinions and you are welcome to them, but this is just silly. Nobody should want a feature removed because one aspect of it is exploitable. A reaction much more grounded in common sense would be to want the exploit fixed, IE get rid of the teleporting city borders.

July 19, 2012 2:24:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lookin' good, man, lookin' good.

July 19, 2012 4:34:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking very good.  And I'll +1 the folks who say 'take your time'.  This one has to be clean out of the gate or that's three strikes and you're out.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.