The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Warlock

By on April 29, 2012 9:11:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has anyone had the chance to play the demo for paradox's new warlock game. It looks pretty interesting, and I have to say that just based off the demo it seems like a pretty good game. How do people think its going to compare to FE?

+6 Karma | 6 Replies
April 29, 2012 10:06:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We should probably not do a "compare" that will lead to people taking sides, flaming, and other internet dumb shit.  Perfectly fine to talk about Warlock, but for some reason people on the internet can't like two similar things at the same time.

April 29, 2012 10:22:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i think it is fair to compare them, but you always have to understand that any comparison is just an opinion and everyone is free to disagree especially since opinions differ a lot between people as to what constitutes fun in a game.

personally i think the warlock is great and when it comes to the core of the game mechanics:

-combat (exterminate): perfectly done for this kind of 1upt combat, much better than ciV

-city management (expand): simple yet elegant without the need of a gamey research tree

-world map and different planes (exploit & explore): this is severely lacking in FE and is a requirement to any spiritual successor to MoM

are very well done especially because the game plays very fluid and there are not a lot of empty turns. this is where is feel E:FE falls short, here the core game mechanics are boring, tedious with a lot of turns where not much is happening and the economy is a lot of number crunching. on the other hand elemental has a lot of detail feature bloat (i mean that in a good sense) that is somewhat lacking in Warlock, which could use more factions and monsters. especially monsters that fit thematically the different planes. personally i enjoyed the demo so much that i played it multiple times and i can not await its release. as for elemental i try it out if every new beta patch, but stardock is not touching the core mechanics which desperately need rebalancing and tuning to make the core game fun, which it currently is not. i play the game on challenging and the ais are total pushovers while all i do is just walk with my sovereign over the map and breed an unbeatable super unit.

i do have several small gripes with warlock however:

-city spam to prevalent (an increase in settler cost should be enough)

-i would like to see spells thematically ordered like in AoW2:SM or MoM

-no heroes and artifacts (although you have weapon/armor perks and the preorder dlc are some sort of heroes)

-is a bit lacking content wise in races and neutral monsters 

April 30, 2012 12:45:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
May 3, 2012 10:35:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is a demo out.  Try it.  If you liked Master of Magic, Civ V, or the FE Beta it will be worth your time to play the demo even if you decide not to spend $19.99 on the game.

May 3, 2012 12:01:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The demo plays like a Civilization mod. It's enjoyable the first time you play it but gets old really fast.

May 3, 2012 12:44:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tried the demo, fell asleep, woke up, uninstalled the demo, made a cup of tea, booted up FE. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.