The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Yes, The Political Machine 2012 is coming

By on April 3, 2012 3:07:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I’ve been getting a lot of emails in recent weeks asking if Stardock is going to make a 2012 edition of The Political Machine.  The answer is: YES. 

The Political Machine is a PC strategy game where players run for President. You can play against a computer opponent (which is fun) or against a human over the Internet (which is sick fun).  This year, we’re doing things with it a bit differently. It’s going to focus just on the 2012 election (rather than throwing in historical elections and fantasy elections which tended to dilute the experience) so that we can make it available at a much lower price – $6.95 to pre-order.

While The Political Machine has always been designed to be a “game” first, its statistical model is robust enough that it’s been used in schools to help teach players about Presidential elections.

This year’s election is looking particularly exciting.  As some may recall, the game accurately predicted the results in 49 out of 50 states in 2004 (the original edition) and predicted the results in 2008 as well – months before the election in both cases.

Here’s the home page:

http://www.politicalmachine.com/

Here’s the official announcement:

http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=2717

+912 Karma | 43 Replies
April 4, 2012 5:14:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Awesome!

April 5, 2012 1:44:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I started a Reddit for this game series.

Please join!

http://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalMachine/

April 6, 2012 1:43:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

You can even go on the Colbert Report in the game.

Have you thought about sending a message to Stephen Colbert to wind up on his show and show off the game? He loves stuff that includes him or likenesses of him!!! You would instantly get a huge following just from the show alone that would buy the game.

Just saying.

April 6, 2012 2:27:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just pre-ordered.   Love a good election game! ....I think?  

April 9, 2012 4:49:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Aaawwwwww!  No fantasy elections?  That was one of my favorite parts!  (The historical ones rocked pretty hard, too.)

But, I understand that it's getting pretty late in the game, as it were, to get this installment out.  A lean, mean, fighting Political Machine is better than none at all.

April 9, 2012 4:51:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting boshimi336,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 20
You can even go on the Colbert Report in the game.

Have you thought about sending a message to Stephen Colbert to wind up on his show and show off the game? He loves stuff that includes him or likenesses of him!!! You would instantly get a huge following just from the show alone that would buy the game.

Just saying.

I agree, I think it would be some fun publicity

Hmm. Does this mean perhaps Brad Wardell will appear on the show? Well probably not, but at least he could show off the game for a minute or two between guests

April 19, 2012 12:33:10 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

I'm waiting a Political Machine Game with Primaries... Like a minor and funnier version of the President Forever Game.

Please Stardock make this!

April 19, 2012 1:56:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Superique,
I'm waiting a Political Machine Game with Primaries... Like a minor and funnier version of the President Forever Game.

Please Stardock make this!

I do like a nice dose of vigorous snark, especially when it's dead on accurate.

April 19, 2012 2:05:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I want to make a Russian Mod where you take out all the voting and just alternate the real president with the puppet one every decade or so.

April 20, 2012 12:43:00 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Really, I'm not kidding. What is the dificult part of doing primaries? The same national map, your awareness should increase when you win on a state  and  it should have the momentum thing. And we also need a debate, that would be nice, specially on multiplayer!

Maybe political endorsements from other politicians.... I don't but it seems to me that this new game will be an evolution, Gamers deserve a Revolution!

April 28, 2012 6:08:41 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Are the screenshots on the Political Machine 2012 site from the actual game? It has Romney vs Obama but I was hoping not because it looks identical to the 2008 version. I enjoyed 2008 but have been patiently waiting for its strengths to be built on and for Stardock to take it from good to great with 2012. So I'm hoping TPM 2012 will not just be a repackaged 2008 with updated candidates and issues that also happens to strip out features from the previous version. I already have 2008, after all, I don't care to buy it again. I know you guys are busy with the aftermath of the Elemental disaster but I hope 2012 gets more than a half-hearted attempt to cash in on the election season.

And why, why must you stick with those awful looking bobble heads?

May 24, 2012 12:01:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I would like to know if the new game includes primary battles as that would increase the fun and strategizing involved in game play. It would also better reflect the real world as the AI and the gamer would both be forced to take into account ideological shifts and intra-party insurgencies such as the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street.

For example, suppose that we could have primary options on the GOP side in which we could not only pit Romney against Gingrich and Santorum, but what about a race that would see Rockefeller run against Goldwater for the soul of the Republican Party, or a race in which the player can pit their own customized Eisenhower against Reagan? On the Democratic side we could have Bobby Kennedy run against Johnson in a replay of 1968, and we could have FDR campaigning against Bill Clinton?

Does the existence of PM2012 mean that PM2008 will be wiped out, or we can continue to play both? Moreover, what about the Win-Customized candidates from PM2008? Can we transfer them to 2012? If not, are there any plans to allow people to upload their own candidates? I would also like to know why some of the uploaded candidates were stronger than the ones in the game [Josiah Bartlett and Leo McGarry from West Wing in particular] and how we could design our own candidates with enhanced statistics.

I would like it if issues such as War on Drugs, Free Trade, Nuclear Disarmament, Diplomacy with China, Student Debt, Humanitarian Intervention, Arab Spring, Democracy Promotion, Natural Gas Exploration, Nuclear Energy Expansion, Stem Cell Research, Contraception in Health Plans, Wall Street Reform, Tax Reform, Grand Bargain and more are included in the game in addition to those already mentioned.

Also, can we buy it as a disc rather than a download purchase? The Internet speed is weak where I live.

Most importantly,I would like to know if the system requirements match my computer;

HP Compaq Presario CQ61

Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
802.11b/g WLAN
320GB [5400RPM]HARD DRIVE
ATI RADEON HD4200 GRAPHICS with 128MB DDR2 Display Cache
5 in 1 Digital Media Reader
3072MB DDR2 SDRAM [2Dimm]
AMD TURION II DUAL CORE MOBILE PROCESSOR M500 [2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache]
Thank you
Timothy Spyrou

May 27, 2012 11:41:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I would like to know if the new game includes primary battles as that would increase the fun and strategizing involved in game play. It would also better reflect the real world as the AI and the gamer would both be forced to take into account ideological shifts and intra-party insurgencies such as the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street.

For example, suppose that we could have primary options on the GOP side in which we could not only pit Romney against Gingrich and Santorum, but what about a race that would see Rockefeller run against Goldwater for the soul of the Republican Party, or a race in which the player can pit their own customized Eisenhower against Reagan? On the Democratic side we could have Bobby Kennedy run against Johnson in a replay of 1968, and we could have FDR campaigning against Bill Clinton?

Does the existence of PM2012 mean that PM2008 will be wiped out, or we can continue to play both? Moreover, what about the Win-Customized candidates from PM2008? Can we transfer them to 2012? If not, are there any plans to allow people to upload their own candidates? I would also like to know why some of the uploaded candidates were stronger than the ones in the game [Josiah Bartlett and Leo McGarry from West Wing in particular] and how we could design our own candidates with enhanced statistics.

I would like it if issues such as War on Drugs, Free Trade, Nuclear Disarmament, Diplomacy with China, Student Debt, Humanitarian Intervention, Arab Spring, Democracy Promotion, Natural Gas Exploration, Nuclear Energy Expansion, Stem Cell Research, Contraception in Health Plans, Wall Street Reform, Tax Reform, Grand Bargain and more are included in the game in addition to those already mentioned.

Also, can we buy it as a disc rather than a download purchase? The Internet speed is weak where I live.

Most importantly,I would like to know if the system requirements match my computer;

HP Compaq Presario CQ61

Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
802.11b/g WLAN
320GB [5400RPM]HARD DRIVE
ATI RADEON HD4200 GRAPHICS with 128MB DDR2 Display Cache
5 in 1 Digital Media Reader
3072MB DDR2 SDRAM [2Dimm]
AMD TURION II DUAL CORE MOBILE PROCESSOR M500 [2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache]
Thank you
Timothy Spyrou
May 27, 2012 12:37:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Timothy!

As far a I know, the game will be download only, but I'll try and see if a burn-to-disc option is going to be made available.  Also, no primaries I'm afraid

I'll get someone more knowledgable to come in and anwer your other questions (it's a long weekend for Memorial Day, so thanks for your patience, and thanks for your interest in the game!).

May 27, 2012 11:16:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Honestly I lol at these types of games. It is like they are going to release a video about the Olympic games in like July and it is going to be crap. I mean if it takes like hundreds of staff, not including people who are doing the polling. and video games are suppose to imitate real life, how can one with a low budget and doesn't take a mainframe to process the data be accurate?! It is like people who play COD think they can shoot a gun in real life just because they get like 20 headshots in a match.

May 29, 2012 4:58:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ice27828,
Honestly I lol at these types of games. It is like they are going to release a video about the Olympic games in like July and it is going to be crap. I mean if it takes like hundreds of staff, not including people who are doing the polling. and video games are suppose to imitate real life, how can one with a low budget and doesn't take a mainframe to process the data be accurate?! It is like people who play COD think they can shoot a gun in real life just because they get like 20 headshots in a match.

Hundreds of staff ... mainframe ...

Hahaha.

No.

EDIT: On second thought the mainframe may be needed if you are doing realtime analyzes with lots of new incoming data every minute. Like you do on voting day. Are you comparing a game with realtime analyzes or just standard polling procedures (every month or so)?

May 30, 2012 12:14:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No I am saying the voting and setting your message takes more than just a computer AI with set programmed parameters. These things can't be replicated on a computer level.

May 31, 2012 11:55:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ice27828,
No I am saying the voting and setting your message takes more than just a computer AI with set programmed parameters. These things can't be replicated on a computer level.

Of course not, but it's possible to match a lot of what's in the 1000 yard view, and make the game interesting.  Simulating something in gameplay is tricky, because your paintbrush can only be so small, so to speak.  The trick is getting as much detail as you can with that size brush.  You'll never end up with photo quality, but if you do it right, you can at least tell what the painting is supposed to be.  And in game terms, as long as it's fun, the missed details don't matter as much.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.