The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Conquest of Elysium 3

Pre-order for Freedom!

By on January 20, 2012 4:52:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know there's some Dominions 3 fans here, so I figured I'd let everyone know that Illwinter has started taking pre-orders for Conquest of Elysium 3.

Buy it at: http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3

Learn about it at: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47712

It's a good time for us fantasy TBS fans.

+1 Karma | 29 Replies
January 20, 2012 5:06:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wut is this?

January 21, 2012 2:22:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I remembered Dominons 3 to be a deep and fulfilling TBS game. However, it was complicated, was not easy to get into for newcomers and were balancing issues.

Nonetheless, I am interested. Will look into it.

January 21, 2012 12:57:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

CoE3 may be what you're looking for if Dom3 was too much. It's more of a single player game with better AI, less micromanagement and much quicker turns. Graphically it looks similar to Dom3 but it's quite different.

Also, it seems that pre-ordering to get into a beta access was an error.. you can still pre-order for 15% off but you DON'T get the beta. Time to update the OP..

January 24, 2012 4:11:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So I've been playing the accidentally leaked beta (which you can't get anymore)...  I've barely scratched the surface of the game but I'm already glad I pre-ordered.

Someone on another forum called it a strategic roguelike. I think that fits. So yeah, gameplay wise it's much different than Dom3.

January 24, 2012 4:12:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dom3 was pretty well balanced for a game with thousands of units and spells.  Great game.  I will certainly be looking into this.

January 25, 2012 12:31:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked the design of Dom3(and 2) except the AI was awful. It was geared more towards multiplayer. If they come out with a demo for it i'll try it, otherwise I'll be passing.

January 26, 2012 5:18:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still play CoE2 sometimes. I think it's free now.

January 26, 2012 9:38:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I must confess something. Promise not to tell anyone. I have preordered the stuff, against my principles.

January 26, 2012 10:08:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For the people who want to try COE2 - here is a download link (legal, the game is free):

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Our_Games/Free_Games.html

January 30, 2012 2:32:16 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There are now screenshots, a video, and two AAR's of running games (some forums call them LPs).

Its definitely what I would call Dom3-lite. It plays much quicker with much less micromanagement. The AI is MUCH better (a separate one for each nation). I think its going to be popular as a blitz game in IRC channels and Chat rooms.

Its more solo play than Dom3 is. It can be played MP but Im not sure how much that will happen. On the other hand, it supports downloadable player-made scenario maps. You can create triggers and events. Such as "entering the Mystical Column gives you a message that turning with the Fire Brand from the Erot Volcano will grant you 10 Mage Men troops" or whatever

January 30, 2012 2:38:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Triggers, editor? Good, it will be useful for a Fallen Enchantress mod! 

January 31, 2012 3:39:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love Dominions3 for my multiplayer itch, but find it vastly suboptimal for my single-player needs. Am I right in understanding that COE3 is almost the other way around? That is, it is designed as a single-player game and will come with a dedicated, halfway challenging AI? Or am I mistaken? Any hints on the AI / SP-applicability of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

January 31, 2012 8:41:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yes the focus is flip-flopped on CoE3. MP is possible but in Dom3 choices were made for MP over Solo, and in CoE3 some obvious choices were made favoring Solo over MP.

And the AI is excellent. In Dom3 there was one general AI trying to play all of those very unique nations. In CoE3 each nation has its own AI and plays the nation specifically to its strengths and weaknesses. And you can even ally with it pretty nicely.

What little Scenario ability that Dom2 had got broken in Dom3. CoE3 brings back Scenarios with major additions. Im hoping that an extensive tutorial style Scenario can get written prior to release.

February 5, 2012 6:28:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Instantly ordered. Can't wait, should be fantastic

February 5, 2012 11:28:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There are some good AARs on the Shrapnel forum.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161

February 8, 2012 10:46:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Someone did a YouTube video
February 8, 2012 11:10:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is what it says in the Desura Terms of Use:

QUOTE:

2. Use and ownership of user provided content

If you send to Desura, or upload to the System, any content of any type ("Content"), including forum posts, commentary, ideas or suggestions whether or not solicited, then: by uploading the Content you license the Content to Desura as set out in this clause 2; and you must ensure that you are the owner or creator of that content or have received permission from the owner or creator to make such submissions and to licence that content as set out in this clause 2.

You expressly authorise and permit Desura to exercise and to authorise others to exercise all of the rights comprised in copyright and all other intellectual property rights which subsist in the Content and you irrevocably consent to all such exercises. Desura is not required to compensate you or any other person in any manner for any such exercise or authorisation. In particular, Desura may use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the Content and other works which are based on them (including by way of adaptation or derivative works) in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, whether or not such use would otherwise be a breach of any person's moral rights, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind. This clause does not limit Desura's privacy obligations under clause 10.

All Content and Applications added and managed by Publishers is governed by the terms and conditions agreement which they must accept prior to publishing their Applications on the System.

February 9, 2012 7:33:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn, I can hardly wait, I admit I am counting the days to the release.

February 10, 2012 12:16:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Not mine. Done by someone at a developer forum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWiHC-i5b4
February 14, 2012 11:47:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you scroll down a bit, Tom Chick has 2 articles describing the unique features of the Dwarf and Undead factions here

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/

It certainly looks extremely exciting with such incredible difference between factions. Of course my first thought when I read it was that Dominions looked incredibly exciting too but I hated actually playing it. But if this has more of a single player focus and less micromanagement then there is hope that I'll like it a lot more.

February 15, 2012 5:08:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FadedC,
It certainly looks extremely exciting with such incredible difference between factions. Of course my first thought when I read it was that Dominions looked incredibly exciting too but I hated actually playing it. But if this has more of a single player focus and less micromanagement then there is hope that I'll like it a lot more.

Although I never really hated Dominions III, I think I'm in your camp. I would get to thinking abouit firing up a new game of Dom III, and then imagine micromanaging 20 plus provinces and put it on the virtual shelf again. Hoping CoE III scratches the itch that Dom III always induced but never satisfied.

February 18, 2012 6:24:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Only two days now!

February 19, 2012 6:39:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's OUT!!!

Just reading the manual... OMG, Hoburgs are playable!

February 19, 2012 6:54:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
This is what it says in the Desura Terms of Use:

QUOTE:

2. Use and ownership of user provided content
If you send to Desura, or upload to the System, any content of any type ("Content"), including forum posts, commentary, ideas or suggestions whether or not solicited, then: by uploading the Content you license the Content to Desura as set out in this clause 2; and you must ensure that you are the owner or creator of that content or have received permission from the owner or creator to make such submissions and to licence that content as set out in this clause 2.

You expressly authorise and permit Desura to exercise and to authorise others to exercise all of the rights comprised in copyright and all other intellectual property rights which subsist in the Content and you irrevocably consent to all such exercises. Desura is not required to compensate you or any other person in any manner for any such exercise or authorisation. In particular, Desura may use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the Content and other works which are based on them (including by way of adaptation or derivative works) in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, whether or not such use would otherwise be a breach of any person's moral rights, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind. This clause does not limit Desura's privacy obligations under clause 10.

All Content and Applications added and managed by Publishers is governed by the terms and conditions agreement which they must accept prior to publishing their Applications on the System.

and what is your analysis of this? Does this forum not have a similar policy?

March 9, 2012 5:24:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, after playing the game for a week or so, it's not so great. Solid gameplay, it's basically the old COE2 with some polish, and also some horribly outdated interface and gameplay elements.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.