The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Best game of the last 10 years?

A Query

By on January 4, 2012 7:18:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What do you think is the best game you've played in the past 10 years?

+3 Karma | 60 Replies
January 4, 2012 7:31:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Either SimCity 4 or Civilization IV for me

January 4, 2012 8:16:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Team fortress 2, for flawless class balance and map design.

January 4, 2012 8:26:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hate these threads. Don't make me choose!

I nominate Dwarf Fortress, for its sheer depth and vision (and continuous development), if for nothing else.

January 4, 2012 9:23:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nenjin,
I hate these threads. Don't make me choose!

I nominate Dwarf Fortress, for its sheer depth and vision (and continuous development), if for nothing else.

Eventually, I'm going to retry DF when I have the time to really figure it out. It should be extremely developed by my retirement. Until then, I'll say CIV IV.

January 4, 2012 10:25:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very tough since I have a very short memory.  Total Annihilation came out in the 90s.  Baldur's Gate II? When did that come out?

January 5, 2012 1:33:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

2000 pc, 2001 mac

January 5, 2012 2:01:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Borderlands by a nose in front of GC2.

January 5, 2012 2:40:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Nenjin,

This ... just because it's the game I keep going back to. I'm surprised a big company hasn't tried to reproduce it.

January 5, 2012 2:59:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dwarf Fortress is well on its way to being the best game, but I don't think it can truly hold that title yet. It's too far from complete in my opinion; as an RPG I'd say it's still inferior to Daggerfall in a lot of ways, and Dwarf Mode is barely even a game so much as a construction tool crossed with an ant farm. Also the game as a whole lacks elegance of interface and prettiness of graphics, and tends to be tough to get into.

If the Paradox core suite was considered a single game that would qualify, but as it is I'll call them the best developer. Best game altogether is harder because it's too subjective. I'd say best RPG is either Morrowind, Daggerfall, or the latest Deus Ex, depending on preference. Best strategy is Europa Universalis III, I guess, it's the most popular of those games although I personally prefer Crusader Kings. Shooters as a genre are not suited to having a single "best" since in single player they're about a single cinematic experience and in multiplayer are about chilling with your buddies.

Really though, everything comes down to taste.

January 5, 2012 3:55:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Eve online.

January 5, 2012 4:05:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd vote for Total Annihilation if it was in the past 10 years. I'll go with Morrowind instead. If you didn't play it when it was new, then you'll never understand. 8) If anyone (including me) ever found out how many hours I've accumulated (and am still accumulating) in that game it would be shocking.

January 5, 2012 4:26:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tough to choose.  On the console side I'd go with Shadow of the Colossus.  On PC I'd probably pick Europa Universalis III.

January 5, 2012 5:08:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Sword of the Stars, the first one. Not the second that started on the road paved by E:WoM.
January 5, 2012 8:20:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Vampire:Bloodlines. I've never replayed an RPG more than twice, bloodlines I played each clan at least once, some twice. The atmosphere was perfect, the "problem solving" was seamlessly integrated. The characters were well acted. The story was fairly unique. Just a brilliant game.

January 5, 2012 8:35:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Deus Ex. Or was that before 2001?

January 5, 2012 9:18:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheBirthdayParty,
Vampire:Bloodlines. I've never replayed an RPG more than twice, bloodlines I played each clan at least once, some twice. The atmosphere was perfect, the "problem solving" was seamlessly integrated. The characters were well acted. The story was fairly unique. Just a brilliant game.

I can't decide, but this is in the running.  What a truly fantastic game.  

My list would be:

Vampire:bloodlines, I also played every clan, and beat the game several times.  So fun. So perfect of a game.

Dragon Age: Origins, I beat this long as game 11 times.  Loved it.  Only played the sequel once...

Civ IV with FFH, I got a lot of fun with BtS, but when I got FFH2, I played the crap out of it.

Mount & Blade: Warbands.  Game is like crack.  Sandbox game, combat is realistic and great fun, a rarity.  Personal goals, who do I want to be in this world?

Skyrim.  The most perfect open world role-playing game I have ever played.  So much to do and see.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.  Loved them so much, Beth's remake of the franchise was masterful.

January 5, 2012 9:45:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok

NOLF 1 AND 2

Sins

Half Life 1,2

Battlezone PC

Wing Commander Heart Of the Tiger

Skyrim

Deus Ex 1

Command and Conquer 1

January 5, 2012 9:53:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins

but I'm biased!

January 5, 2012 10:25:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Medieval Total War (the original). 

January 5, 2012 10:31:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Remember that it's 2012 now, so it would only go back to 2002.

January 5, 2012 11:14:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

Deus Ex. Or was that before 2001?

It was before 2001 bro   I think it came out in '99 but dont quote me on that...

Definitely one of my all time favs. 

January 5, 2012 11:14:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kodiak888,
I'd vote for Total Annihilation if it was in the past 10 years. I'll go with Morrowind instead. If you didn't play it when it was new, then you'll never understand. 8) If anyone (including me) ever found out how many hours I've accumulated (and am still accumulating) in that game it would be shocking.

This.

January 5, 2012 11:24:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cant choose one single game, i liked and played a lot: 

Max Payne, PES 6, NHL 2004, Call of Duty games, Call od Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth, W40k: Dawn of War, Generals: Zero Hour, Homeworld 2 and SoaSE.

January 5, 2012 12:15:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

C&C2: Tiberian Sun. It begins and ends there for me. 

SWOTOR is a close second, though I despise MMO's so that prevents it from being first. Still, it's amazing to me that an MMO can enchant a hater like me.  [e digicons]:')[/e]

January 5, 2012 12:28:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Best game by the most amount of time sucked into it:

Sword of the Stars: Wow, there's ten million years of replayability in that one.

Titan Quest (plus Immortal Throne): I never thought I'd play a hack 'n slash this much, but they sure got everything right. Shame that THQ had to quit supporting it. I'll probably still be playing it when D3 comes out.

Medieval 2 (for the mods, although M1 and Rome had some pretty awesome ones too). That Third Age mod is the schizz.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (released late november 2001, so only by 10 years, 5 weeks, including it!). Best FPS in a long time. You can keep your Call of Duties and Battlefields, just give me this for me and my friends for the rest of my life.

Best game by "Holy crap, where was this game all my life?"

Trine. Damn if I haven't seen a good platformer with great puzzles and mechanics in the last 10 years.

Mount and Blade (plus Warbands, I only started playing the first one a couple weeks before warbands came out). Wow, the initial gameplay felt so fresh, unique and awesome.

Portal. 'Nuff said, puzzles are awesome.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.