The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread

By on December 18, 2011 9:19:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

Just thought I'd get this going and then weigh in sometime soon.  I picked it up and, so far, absolutely love it.  My first character is a Sith Juggernaut Warrior.  I love how its really story driven and the huge amount of voice acting.  I also dig how crafting is setup.  Anyway, all the time I'm going to put into this post for now... back to playing

Thought I'd update this with some useful info instead of having to dig through the thread.

Clan info, servers, etc.

Many of us are on the Kass City server - includes many SD staffers + folks from the community

• pacov (pacov)- Bounty Hunter - mercenary (dps) - level 50
  • pewpewpacov - Imperial Agent - sniper (dps) - level 30ish
  • ryat (ryat) - Bounty Hunter - power tech
  • carbon (Ryden) - Sith Assassin
  • seamw (Ahblaka) - imperial agent

Ryat has several other character on Hyperspace Cannon server:

Ryat - Sentinel
Ryata - Gunslinger
Tayme - Sage
Zachy - Commando

Locked Post 311 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 28, 2011 9:58:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Adding now. If you want help just holler, I could use the combat experience to better my chain of skills timing, and I wanna easedrop on your story ^^

And Frogboy, Ive added you also.  Hope to catch some yall online in the next day or so

Anyone else I need to add who is on Kass City?

EDIT: Couldnt add you Frogboy under the name Talax (says it doesnt exist)

December 28, 2011 10:02:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I guess I should build an alt on Kass City. Maybe tonite. Maybe.

December 28, 2011 10:04:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You should boy, After all your the one who hype it up to me. Make sure you Empire I'll tag along with you also if your on, for story sake

December 28, 2011 10:04:49 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Okay then... just for tracking:

Kass City

• pacov - Level 1 Bounty Hunter - Empire - will likely spec healing and fill that role - in game name = pacov
  • carbon - level 13+ - sith inquisitor assassin - in game name = Ryden
  • seanw - level 17+ - imperial operative - in game name = ?
  • Frogboy and sons - level = 19+ - sith marauder - frogboys user name = talax

Frogboy apparently has a guild setup there.  Question - what's the big deal with a guild?   Eg what do you get out of being a part of one?

Anyone else I missed that is on Kass City?  As you can see, I'm just starting out a new character, so if anyone is looking to switch to Kass City and play some with a lower leveled pacov, let me know.  Going to start leveling my character after work.

December 28, 2011 10:19:14 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

If we get more and more folks on the Kass Server, I'll move that list to the OP so its easy to see. 

So - crafting question.  I've spent A LOT of time crafting on my level 24 sith juggernaut.  I'd craft an item, break it down, then recraft over and over until I'd get plans for an upgraded item.  Then, I'd do the same with that as I built up better and better items.  Anyway, I noticed that at certain levels I'd start crafting prototype stuff.  Now for these, it would often say I need like a grade 2 power crystal.  So, I'd send my companions out get some grade 2 power crystals... only they never bring me back the type of crystal I need.  So, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get some of the more unique items (that apparently your companions can't or only rarely acquire through missions).  In my case, I ended up paying like 1k credits just to get a crafting item I needed through the galactic trade network. 

Also, anyone else using the galactic trade network a bunch?  I love it. I just started selling some items last night and I'm curious to see if they've sold or not.  I bought some great upgrade items through it.  For instance, I only had 1 implant all the way through level 24.  I just didn't see them anywhere.  But when I came across it on the network, it was an insta buy for me.  Also, items you post for sale only stick up there for like 1 day, so there's always new stuff coming in. 

December 28, 2011 11:18:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ive not touched crafting yet, nor really even crew skills/mission/etc. I assume that its all tied to crafting stuff but Im been busy getting combat down, the global cooldown is killing me. Do skills que if you press them during the cooldown?

My issues maybe related to my Charter Internet, its been wonky for about a month, random drops...lag spikes...or just good old fashioned slowness. It like a tide, it comes and goes.

Anyhow, so crafting requires you to send crew members on missions to get stuff which you make then breakdown, wash and repeat?

I didnt play WoW so my exact knowlege on alot of stuff is well limited by what iver heard people discuss and the few random question Ive asked b/c something peaked my intrest. And since all Ive heard is this is WoW in space (the nuts and bolts of the game mechanics that is) figured I dont quite get it yet.

December 28, 2011 12:33:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I just learned the crafting system here - didn't really do any of that in my brief jaunt in wow.  Here's the gist.  Your companions get 3 crew skills (you can see this menu by pressing N).  There's a main crew skill.  Based on the main skill you pick, you can create armor, or weapons, etc.  Then, the other skills you get are typically used in support of that main skill.  Take for example my level 24 sith.  I choose my main crew skill of artifice.  This enables me to craft lightsaber parts along with shield generators.  I picked this crew skill because I use lightsabers and I use shields, so its quite useful.  If I didn't use lightsabers, though, I don't think it would be exceptionally useful.  Anyway, I choose treasure hunting and ... - can't think of the name right now).  Both of those support skills create missions for my companions.  So, I send them on missions and they get me the parts I need to use my artifice skill.  So, they bring back the parts, I craft items.  I can then reverse engineer the crafted items and before too long (by repeating), I'll get a new blueprint for an even better item to craft.  Anyway, that treasure hunting skill is even more useful, though.  With it, you can search for companion gifts and more importantly, lock boxes that include items or gold, etc. 

Anyway, the more you use any of your skills (and if they are successful), the more experience you gain in that skill.  So, if you do it a bunch, you eventually get access to better crafting recipes and better missions (for instance, on my level 24 sith guy, I can get very good level 3 lock boxes that often include some VERY good items). 

Anyway, that's the basic overview.  I'd suggest googling it to find out what might be the best combination for the character type you are using.  I'll be doing that with my bounty hunter as soon as I get my companion. 

December 28, 2011 12:43:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I might come join you guys on Kass City when I make a Sith.  

December 28, 2011 12:49:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, pacov...you have introduced me into another world of intrest.

Ive spent all my cash on doing missions...got a few new items.

I went Biochem, for stims and health packs...b/c I use them ALOT lol. and who doesnt like stims and health

December 28, 2011 1:07:28 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, it can be even more fun and profitable as well.   You can sell the things you craft on the galactic market as well.  Just make sure you check in on the biochem trainer as you level.  They sell you recipes (and they are really cheap starting out).  As you level your biochem skill (by crafting), you be eligible for more better recipes.  What I do is stop by the skill trainer (bio chem guy for you) and then instead of just clicking on trainable, click on all and see what level you need to hit to get your next recipes.  Then, just pop in again when you get to that level.

Another really cool thing I saw - when you are in a party, you can look at your teammates schematics and learn them (if its something you can learn, anyway).  That means if I chose bio chem and had some recipes that you did not, you could learn them - I think at no cost.  Anyway, anytime I'm in a party, I always check to see if there are any schematics I can grab.  I think you right click on their portrait and its an option towards the bottom - might be through a sub menu.

December 28, 2011 8:12:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Through the mysteries of science and farming. I can now craft a purple compact medpack. Its totally reusable over and over!

825 to 1000 Hp restored every 90 seconds.

If you like one of these bad boys, I be happy to craft one for you.

December 28, 2011 8:14:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well - I've been playing a bit with carbon today.  He helped me grind out a few levels... think I'm about a level 7 bounty hunter or so... logging back in now.

December 28, 2011 9:14:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

On as Ryat. Bounty Hunter.

December 28, 2011 10:06:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh snap need to get on!!!

December 29, 2011 12:15:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok - made it all the way to level 12 - bounty hunter mercenary -  heal focus. 

carbon is level 15, so I made a ton of progress tonight thx to his help. 

December 29, 2011 12:43:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Alright, my code name is Ahblaka. I have been sent by Intelligence to monitor the Hyperion organisation. I can say no more. 

This message will be automatically deleted when you contact me. Nice work setting up a dummy website to contact me Frogboy. 

December 29, 2011 8:37:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I think that brings us up to 6 on the server now. 

Thanks again for the help yesterday, carbon.  Significantly sped up my time on hutta.  Was nice to tear through the heroic area with him leading the way for my previously super low leveled self.  Think I put in like 5 hours and got to level 12, so not terrible there.  Wish I had my space ship already, though.  Even though they aren't awesome, I kind of dig the space missions. 

I decided to go with bio chem and I'll be focusing on crafting implants, so I should be able to provide some good stuff for folks there.  Carbon already crafted a health pack that you can use over and over and sent it over to me.  Pretty cool to not have to concern yourself with health packs. 

I doubt I'll be able to play much today, though.  Was very happy when I got my companion and could start crafting up a storm. 

December 29, 2011 4:50:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can join on the server.  I'd like to be part of the guild.   What type of character do we still need?

December 29, 2011 5:35:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not sure.  So far only carbon and I have been playing together.  

December 29, 2011 9:54:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So far Frogboy's character name and seanw3 both do not work when I try to add them for whatever reason.

Ive played with pacov the most. I bet he will bypass me in lvl soon. Ryat is also on our server with another BH. Ive not got a chance to play with him.

December 29, 2011 10:09:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Getting on now.

December 29, 2011 10:15:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The person you are searching for has to be logged in for some reason. Kind of a bad way to search. Also, You can't search for a guild, you have to find a player in the guild.

December 30, 2011 1:03:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Figured out the guild stuff.

From some article...

For the Empire, your journey is tougher because you must brave the wilds of Dromund Kaas to reach Kaas city. Once you enter Kaas city head east over to the galactic marketplace. Your guild creation NPC is next to the skill-point-resetting NPC on the right hand side of the marketplace.

Actual location - -15, 115.

5k gold required.  I think (not sure) that we have to be in a party of 4 total to do this.

As of today, I've played with ryat, carbon, and sean, so we have enough.  I don't have the money atm.  Anyway, we can hopefully get a guild up and running soon.  I personally don't care too much about the name.

December 30, 2011 1:06:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Murteas,
I can join on the server.  I'd like to be part of the guild.   What type of character do we still need?

tank - i'd say at this point. 

December 30, 2011 6:15:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Play what you want, IMHO.

Ryat is powertech BH

Im an Sith Assassin.

Both can be tank(y). In most of the parties Ive played with not including yall Ive been designated tank. With Dark Charge active I do a decent job of holding aggro. Im thinking Im more than likely gonna make this toon more tanky than straight DPS.

Glad I got to watch both the Bounty Hunters pew pew all the baddies before I could run over to the mob

If you really wanna try though to fill a space/role in our psudo group. IMHO you can never have to many healers

If someone else is covering that role it gives you free rein to spew DPS! But in the end play whatever sound fun to you.

As for the guild, Im game for making one. I got the credits to cover the upfront cost. Before we make one though, I like to at least get Frogboy on our list of friends and see what he has going on, since he was kind enough to offer membership into his guild. Maybe there are more Stardockians under his command

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time: