The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread

By on December 18, 2011 9:19:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

Just thought I'd get this going and then weigh in sometime soon.  I picked it up and, so far, absolutely love it.  My first character is a Sith Juggernaut Warrior.  I love how its really story driven and the huge amount of voice acting.  I also dig how crafting is setup.  Anyway, all the time I'm going to put into this post for now... back to playing

Thought I'd update this with some useful info instead of having to dig through the thread.

Clan info, servers, etc.

Many of us are on the Kass City server - includes many SD staffers + folks from the community

• pacov (pacov)- Bounty Hunter - mercenary (dps) - level 50
  • pewpewpacov - Imperial Agent - sniper (dps) - level 30ish
  • ryat (ryat) - Bounty Hunter - power tech
  • carbon (Ryden) - Sith Assassin
  • seamw (Ahblaka) - imperial agent

Ryat has several other character on Hyperspace Cannon server:

Ryat - Sentinel
Ryata - Gunslinger
Tayme - Sage
Zachy - Commando

Locked Post 311 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 23, 2011 5:26:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The space mission stuff is fun enough, I suppose.  I'm love it if it was more of a sim though.  Hopefully they develop this more in the near future.

I think I'd like to get a list of who's on what server, etc, in case any of us want to start new characters and play together.  I'll update the OP if you want to share.

pacov - the wall of light server

December 23, 2011 6:11:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The space missions are alright, but if they're going arcade style I'd have preferred to have some scorekeeping or a way to abort early once you finish the objectives.

December 25, 2011 6:08:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just got everything uploaded and such,

Anyone wanna suggest a server from the massive list? Seems to be way to many IMHO.

December 25, 2011 6:10:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

U can join me carbon.  Been thinking of getting another character.  I'm on wall of light

December 25, 2011 6:20:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your too kind lol

Not tired of me on LoL

I'll go ahead and join that one. What you playing? Or do you wanna meet up in TS or Vent quick to corrdinate till i find you?

December 25, 2011 8:46:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well...tried to get on Wall of Light and few others....I didnt plan for most of those servers to be full with a wait to join.

I went with Kass City, for now.

Im thinking after a mess around and maybe not die every other fight, I'll remake on a new server. Time will tell.

December 25, 2011 9:38:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah - I had my first 5 min wait to login a few days back.  No idea why some servers suddenly become very popular when before it had very little load.  What are you playing as on the kass city server now?  Also, what is your in game username?

December 25, 2011 10:05:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sith Inquistior. Ryden is my ingame name.

I saw a few with 5 min waits. But the ones I tried to join were 15+.

Right now Kass is at 15 mins. =/ Its what I get for loging out to do some stuff.

Im hoping this long wait stuff is not normal. If it is, I'll pick the lowest pop server I can find (RP server anyone ), Im not one to wait a long time to just play. Even more so when I know I only got an hour to play and have to spend a fourth of it waiting just to log on.

Enough ranting for now though.

December 25, 2011 11:11:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Random offtopic awesomeness:

December 26, 2011 6:04:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am in Kaas City as well. I can only tell you that I am at or near level seventeen and I am an Operative in the Imperial Intelligence. Anything else would get us both killed. 

December 26, 2011 8:18:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The space missions feel too easy to me, and kind of gimmicky when you can shoot through ships and space stations to the other side. Also I would've really liked for different characters to have different space missions (bounty hunter should have bounty hunt missions etc), but apparently everyone has the same ones.

I'm a Imperial Sniper at lvl 26 myself, really enjoying the character but I regret going down the Dark Side path. Can't turn now since I'm already pretty deep in there.

December 26, 2011 8:40:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I make decisions based on discretion. Sometimes mercy is better for everyone and sometimes people need to die. Revan was right, there is power in both sides. 

December 26, 2011 9:04:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lvl 13 Sith Assassin.

Was having a hell of time questing. Still kinda am, I need to do more side quest it seems.

Im currently floating in the middle of the light vs dark side, currently leaning towards dark b/c of my choices. What side I'll be in the future is up in the air.

I am loving my compainion, though he not tanky enough for me b/c we are low level. But I like his persona, and his random comments when doing story.

All in all, Ive having fun...though spending to much time waiting on medical drones. I just havent got the exacty playstyle down yet.

December 27, 2011 1:06:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've got a level 32 light side Commando Medic and a Dark side Jedi Sage thats level 26.  So far.

December 27, 2011 8:38:57 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Still just a sith juggernaut tank at this point - level 24

December 27, 2011 9:29:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Level 30 Jedi Sentinel on Hyperspace Cannon. And loving it.

December 27, 2011 10:25:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

this is mostly sarcasm but seriously, have any of you ever seen or read about a 'tank' in Star Wars "Don't worry Luke, there all going to shoot at me!!"?  I guess this could be like a jedi mind trick on the weak, but other than that or a captain saying kill 'that' guy fellas just doesn't appeal to me at all.  I tried playing wow (got up to lvl 75ish with my pally), but was always an everyone for themselves kind of guy (I never went with the normal setups).  Broke my heart they chose this path.  'man, that last battle had 4 turrets hitting me in the back for 10 mins' uhm... ONE shot in the back from a turret should kill most of the time.  D&D online had one of the best battle setups imo, only no random instances so game got boring real quick.  Sorry if I sound like a troll but this is the only forum I visit so had to speak my say.

There is another online Star Wars game being made by independants (been in production for a long time), Star Wars Combine.  Been a while since I checked in, perhaps they have battles up & going now.

December 27, 2011 11:10:23 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Nah - you're certainly welcome to speak here, imo. 

Re: tanks - well, I agree and a disagree a little.  I agree in that we don't see any jedi tanks in the movies, etc.  We also don't really see 1 light saber being better than another (eg 1 does 50-75 dmg while another does 70-80).  That said, the concept of a tank is certainly present in the star wars universe.  Be it an attack droid with a shield, etc.  So even though we don't see it in the movies, its really not that hard to tack on the idea of humans/sith/whatever having personal shields that make them ore difficult to kill. 

Anyway, I like the combat system as is.  Not really sure what's the big deal to you, though.  It takes a bit of the diversity out of a team if there is no tank.  Curious if you have any specific suggestions on what would make it better.

December 27, 2011 1:50:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I usually agree, but Swotor is less Tank/DPS/Healer set than WoW is. Also, there are various tanks and healers.  6 out of 8 classes can be healers, and six out of 8 classes can be tanks, and 4 out of 8 can be both.  And I haven't really found the need so far to absolutely fit every group with a "true" healer and a "true" Tank.  Somone who has heals, any smugglar, commando or sage, no matter how specced has been good enough to finish anything I have done so far.  Will end game be different?  I imagine that raids will need more dedicated healers and tanks, but I'm sure with the great number of them out there, that filling those 2 slots out of 8 won't be too hard.

As for the "idea" of tanking.  I hate it.  Always have.  When they added it to D&D 4th edition, I lost interest in it.  When my DM, who loved WoW, wanted and did add it to our 3.5 game.  I got bored and quit.  It's really a very boring game play idea.  It would be nice if characters were more self sufficient and didn't have to fill a role.  

December 27, 2011 3:06:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pacov,
Curious if you have any specific suggestions on what would make it better

I"m sorry but I"m not even gonna touch this one (I actually did & my post got dced, not gonna do another long one like that), I like the stats in the old p&p books, the darker more realistic side of the Star Wars Univers. 

"As for the "idea" of tanking.  I hate it.  Always have.  When they added it to D&D 4th edition, I lost interest in it.  When my DM, who loved WoW, wanted and did add it to our 3.5 game.  I got bored and quit.  It's really a very boring game play idea.  It would be nice if characters were more self sufficient and didn't have to fill a role."

I think this is it. (Didn't know they had the 'tank system' in 4th, but then most of our stuff was advanced & 2nd addition.) I think I"ll wait for them to hire on the StarWarsCombine peeps and make a cross between tie fighter/homeworld/Eve type of space system with a more realistic planetary battle setup.

edit: anyone know how to save a post as you work on it?  (without actually posting?)have dced twice now during long posts

December 27, 2011 6:55:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Current grip with game:

Everyone I know is one a different server.

So I either keep playing on Kass alone, or make X amounts of alts for all my gaming pals to play with them.

Or...I use the force to convince everyone i know to play on 1 server.

December 27, 2011 9:05:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Same boat, Carbon (though you should have just accepted that wait on that one day and joined my server.  I haven't had a single log in delay since that 1 day.. go figure). 

Anyway, I'm still a bit obsessed with my current character (eg haven't touched LoL in at least a week).  I keep thinking and wanting to start a new character.  And if I do, I'll very likely jump to your server.  Its just a matter of whether or not you decide to jump over to mine before I jump to yours.

December 27, 2011 10:10:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm on Kass City.  Find me on there and we'll add you to our guild. 

I'm on as Talax.

December 27, 2011 10:32:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bastard... now i have to join kass... sob

December 27, 2011 11:28:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

smeh - level 1 bounty hunter named pacov created on kass city - will be my new primary.  add me.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time: