The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Sins graphical engine update

By on November 21, 2011 8:20:51 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

One of the changes to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a significant update of the graphics system. This is done so that Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion remains state of the art visually.

Example:

BEFORE:

and…

AFTER:

+912 Karma | 76 Replies
December 6, 2011 9:06:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm sorry Frogboy, but you're exaggerating a little bit here. And probably misunderstanding what I had on my mind as well.

First:

Quoting Frogboy,
Missiles and beams come out of ships in ways that are almost completely disconnected from the graphics.
This is not true. I am yet to see a missile come out of a ship in a completely nonsense point. It is not half as bad, most if not all weapon animations start from something that can be identified as a weapon hardpoint. The most bonkers shooting animation I've seen is on Kortul, because the middle port/starboard beam guns can literally shoot through the ship if they're aiming at something very close and in front of the kortul.

Second:

Quoting Frogboy,
 If you added turrets and such,
This you misunderstood - I am not asking you to add turrets on everything.

All I am asking for is:

Get rid of the turrets that are already there and are permanently frozen solid. A garda with guns pointing in all directions and shooting straight ahead from all guns looks CRAP. Also note that there aren't that many ships with things which really resemble turrets pointing somewhere: Garda, Kol (the beams shooting from what looks like antennae are ridiculous!), one tiny gun on Progenitor, Skirmisher. Maybe a few others, but if I had it my way, I would say Garda and the Kol are the top priorities.

Instead, either replace those immobile turrets with mobile ones or, if that is impossible for whatever reasons (e.g. limited developer's budget is a viable reason), remove those turrets completely and replace them with flat nodes that don't have a barrel. There are soooo many ships with weapons that look like tiny saucers glued to the hull, shooting in any direction without any barrel moving. And you know what? They look just fine. 
A generic flat non-barreled weapon looks 11020392942347 times better than an immobile barreled gun shooting sideways. 

December 6, 2011 10:06:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Star Trek phasers. the circle on the Enterprise lights up and a beam comes out. Genius!

December 7, 2011 12:07:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Draakjacht,
Star Trek phasers. the circle on the Enterprise lights up and a beam comes out. Genius!

December 13, 2011 11:48:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting N3rull,
A generic flat non-barreled weapon looks 11020392942347 times better than an immobile barreled gun shooting sideways.

only looks 11020392942327 times better, but whose counting.  Looks asstastic to see autocannon rounds flying out of a hole in the side of a ship, but this game doesn't support mesh animation (except via particle) and you just can't make tracking turrets like EVE or homeworld has them.

Homeworld 2 had them in 2003, I guess only Eve-Online has the technology now. 

December 13, 2011 12:45:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,

Kinda puts that WWII approach to warfare in Warhammer 40K in perspective, huh?

December 13, 2011 5:16:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,

It's because of the online lag/cpu intensive nature of them.  Eve has a fanatical player base paying big bucks to keep the game going with state-of-the-art servers with good cpu/graphic capability.  They probably sell as many accounts every two or three months as the total number of Sins games that have been sold since release.

Mo' Money.

Eve ditched it's older computer player base about a year back if they didn't have DDR3 or higher graphics cards.

December 13, 2011 5:51:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As I said: 

Moving turrets? Awesome.
Immobile, flat, non-pointed mysteriously-tagretted weapon? Fair enough.
A barreled gun shooting sideways? GTFO. 

December 15, 2011 2:03:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in the past i used impluse to play demigod but on 15 dec 2011 i demigod appeared on steam and i know implsue and steam players games do not worked with each other-steam gamers and impluse gamers could not join each other games.

one thing i know if demigod appears on steam the player base would increased quite dramatically sadly my retail cd key do not work with steam it would be great if stardock would give me a steam cd key for demigod .

email it to me if you would i support your company .

December 15, 2011 4:53:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Namieamuro777,
demigod appeared on steam

Quoting Namieamuro777,
if demigod appears on steam

?

Quoting Namieamuro777,

??

December 15, 2011 6:08:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Namieamuro777,
in the past i used impluse to play demigod but on 15 dec 2011 i demigod appeared on steam and i know implsue and steam players games do not worked with each other-steam gamers and impluse gamers could not join each other games.

Not true at all.  In the past you used ironclad online to play demigod, not impulse.  You used impulse to UPDATE demigod.  Steam players ALSO use ironclad online to play so therefor, everyone is using ICO no matter if you bought off of steam or impulse.  They can all join the same games.

Quoting Namieamuro777,
one thing i know if demigod appears on steam the player base would increased quite dramatically

It probably has, it worked for SoaSE.

Quoting Namieamuro777,
sadly my retail cd key do not work with steam

Your old key is being handled by gamestop now.

Quoting Namieamuro777,
it would be great if stardock would give me a steam cd key for demigod .

And if wishes were pennies, I'd be a multimillionaire.  Read that as not going to happen.  You want to play on steam?  Good luck with that.  Even if you bought it on steam, you'd still have to play it over ICO and not steam.

Quoting Namieamuro777,

Hold your breath waiting for that.  Question, why are you posting this in the Sins Developer Journals forum and not one of the Demigod forums?

December 15, 2011 9:14:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Question, why are you posting this in the Sins Developer Journals forum and not one of the Demigod forums?

Cause it almost smells like a bot?

December 15, 2011 9:35:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Draakjacht,
Cause it almost smells like a bot?

Agreed.

December 21, 2011 10:52:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

come out rebellion!

February 15, 2012 4:54:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is it just me or does it look... pretty much the same. Just... shiny. Underwhelming.

February 15, 2012 10:15:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's shader 3.0 versus 2.0.

February 15, 2012 10:54:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

More screens comparing shader quality would be nice.

Regarding the moving turrets, i do not really care about them much, but i would still be interested in this: obviously they are not going to happen, because of the CPU limitation...but is that really CPU limitation or rather game engine limitation, given its single-thread nature. I mean, if hypothetically the game was multi-threaded and able to use at least 4 threads, if  not all you can throw at it (in my case 12), would it still be a problem?

I am fairly curious about it from the technlogical standpoint, i keep wondering, how the game could look like, if there were not obvious financial and low-spec hardware limitations... when i saw that rebellion teaser, i thought wow, it looks great! but not that much better than ingame graphics of X3 game... now i realize the difference between the genres, but still...could Sins look like X3, if the average hardware today was gtx580 + i7 2500K?

February 15, 2012 11:29:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
if the average hardware today was gtx580 + i7 2500K?

If the average hardware was that then yes it would work and if they could update the engine to run on mulitple CPU cores than yes it is entirely possible. The problem is that it will take quite a bit of time to rework the engine into that state and not everybody can afford such hardware yet. You might have to wait a few years before that happening.

February 15, 2012 12:15:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
but is that really CPU limitation or rather game engine limitation,

Game engine

Quoting Timmaigh,
when i saw that rebellion teaser, i thought wow, it looks great!

That's not a gameplay video, rather a cinematic.

February 15, 2012 12:28:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Draakjacht,

Quoting Timmaigh, reply 66but is that really CPU limitation or rather game engine limitation,

Game engine

Quoting Timmaigh, reply 66when i saw that rebellion teaser, i thought wow, it looks great!

That's not a gameplay video, rather a cinematic.

Yes, and as i said, the ingame graphics of X3 does not look imho much worse than this cinematic - judgnig by HD utube videos, never played the game myself. Anyway it is meant as compliment to X3 graphics engine, not an insult toward guys, who made this rebellion teaser.   

February 15, 2012 2:35:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
Anyway it is meant as compliment to X3 graphics engine, not an insult toward guys, who made this rebellion teaser.

I understood, just wanted to clarify for those unsure that it's not representative of what will be in the game. The engine isn't getting a massive overhaul, so what you get now is going to be representative of what you will see later.

February 27, 2012 5:09:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The old capital ship looks more realistic.

February 27, 2012 5:22:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting MacModder,
The old capital ship looks more realistic.

Although that depends on distance to a light source and the material used in the hull, I would tend to agree. My dad one time said that if they wanted to be less visible in Star Trek, that they should turn off the navigation lights and they would be pitch black. Although a good point about lighting in space, I had to remind him that radar and their engines bending the very fabric of space would probably be a dead giveaway.

February 28, 2012 12:34:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Draakjacht,
Although a good point about lighting in space, I had to remind him that radar and their engines bending the very fabric of space would probably be a dead giveaway.

Psh! ... the deflector dish could mask that no problem! Just need to recalibrate it a little ...

P.S. I enjoy Trek, even with their techno-babble sometimes.

February 28, 2012 2:21:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I enjoy an equal share of techno-babble and character development.

And the Romulans and Klingons can mask themselves, but it also sucks up all their power.

February 28, 2012 6:44:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Maquis ... secretly I do think they still live on in small pockets, even after the Dominion war.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.