The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fallen Enchantress: Being the better person

By on September 14, 2011 8:58:17 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1436

Gone are  “points” to throw into stats. Instead, players gain special abilities when they level up. The higher the level, the more exotic the choices become.

Locked Post 55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 14, 2011 10:00:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cool.  Is there a maximum level?

September 14, 2011 10:01:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Diss... I like!

September 14, 2011 10:22:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I assume that stats have some sort of base increase or maybe random (weighted) growth?

September 14, 2011 11:47:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More good stuff.  The UI looks great and it looks like leveling up will be fun too.

September 15, 2011 12:44:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm liking the ui as well. 

September 15, 2011 12:52:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, that's what I would call a big change. I approve this, more please.

September 15, 2011 12:53:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Excellent idea!

September 15, 2011 1:45:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
can I expect that mouse over each stat will display something like : +2 strength / level , +0 speed / level. Gamer will want to know how a hero will develop in future levels. And I expect different hero will have different stat development.
September 15, 2011 1:48:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ausland,
cool.  Is there a maximum level?

Good question! And how will this affect balance? Hoping it will work like the Age of Wonders hero levels.

September 15, 2011 4:37:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will the stats have additional/new/changed meanings in Fallen Enchantress?

September 15, 2011 5:45:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great stuff!

Will a completely random set of traits to choose from appear at every level up?  It would make the decision more interesting if the ones you don't choose have less chance of appearing in subsequent level ups - or 50% less chance for the 1st subsequent LU, 30% for the 2nd and 10% for the 3rd.. something like this - so you have to make your decisions wisely..

September 15, 2011 5:53:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So then how do stats change?

September 15, 2011 5:59:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a big step up from the current system. That said, a skill tree or grid with advancement dependencies with which you could map out your hero's long-term growth, with associated goals that you could look forward to attaining would be another big rpg-centric step above a randomized list selection.

September 15, 2011 6:38:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cruxador, look at the screenshot. Quick gives +3 dex and +1 iniative. That's a good example.

September 15, 2011 7:26:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In E:wom a couple of stats like accuracy and hitpoints increased automatically when you levelled. You also got more hitpoints out of every point of constitution the higher your character was.

September 15, 2011 8:25:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gone are  “points” to throw into stats.

That is a good thing, boosting stats is almost meaningless to a player. I am also in the RPG camp where your attributes should stay the same for your whole life while the HP/MP and some other stat would increase with levels.

But by taking a look more closely at the screenshot. It seems that the available upgrades only increase stats. I thought they were all special abilities. Instead of boosting stats, why not only suggest special abilities. They could be minor and passive abilities, but still it would be much more interesting than simply raising stats in s specific pattern.

September 15, 2011 8:39:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tanafres,
This is a big step up from the current system. That said, a skill tree or grid with advancement dependencies with which you could map out your hero's long-term growth, with associated goals that you could look forward to attaining would be another big rpg-centric step above a randomized list selection.

I would rather have an 'ordered' randomisation - a 'trait tree' would become too repetitive.  The random element would always be surprising, and lead to unique characters each time.

September 15, 2011 8:42:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It should be a tradeoff between boosting stats and special abilities.

That's how it worked in AOW:SM, and it worked well there. 

I get a bit of a Dredmor vibe from this system also.

September 15, 2011 8:42:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting larienna,
But by taking a look more closely at the screenshot. It seems that the available upgrades only increase stats. I thought they were all special abilities. Instead of boosting stats, why not only suggest special abilities. They could be minor and passive abilities, but still it would be much more interesting than simply raising stats in s specific pattern.

A mix of the two would be best, IMO..  Which I guess is how they have it.

September 15, 2011 8:43:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
It should be a tradeoff between boosting stats and special abilities.

Exactly.

September 15, 2011 8:54:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think this is a great idea and adds a bit more depth to your Sovereign and Heroes.

September 15, 2011 10:02:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can't we also keep the points as well? or at least set up our points at the beginning. I do love to customize my Soverign up to include atrribute points. 

Edit:  Oh wait now I see we can still boost attributes through the traits we pick. Then I'm now ok with this. Being a RPGer I hate games where you cannot affect the stats as you level

September 15, 2011 11:41:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will some abilities have other abilities as pre-reqs (e.g. "Flanking" requires "Quickness", or maybe "Improved Quickness", etc.)?

If so, I want to make sure it's easy to get to the tree of such abilities from this screen (as opposed to having to go to the 'pedia in Civ).

Also, hoping the set of available abilities is specialized to some degree - e.g. either based on initial type/stats/ability/something, or based on choosing a certain 'path', one tree of abilities opens up but either other trees are closed off, or you can only pick from 1 tree at first, another one at level X, etc., plus some general abilities outside of these 'trees'.

Just my $.02 worth. I like having interesting choices/tradeoffs over a high level character having essentially every ability.

September 15, 2011 1:23:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great and the UI looks superb.

September 15, 2011 2:28:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting HenriHakl,
Will the stats have additional/new/changed meanings in Fallen Enchantress?

Yes  They are not all completely overhauled but some do different/new/additional things.  

Quoting Lantros,
Great and the UI looks superb.

We are also still working on making the UI even better, it sure has come a long way though

Quoting larienna,

Gone are  “points” to throw into stats.

That is a good thing, boosting stats is almost meaningless to a player. I am also in the RPG camp where your attributes should stay the same for your whole life while the HP/MP and some other stat would increase with levels.

They do both, some of them provide stat bonuses, some are non-stat related passive bonuses (like the merchant skill from WoM) and others are special abilities. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.