The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Doctor Who - The Christmas Special

By on August 13, 2011 2:53:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ImperatorPavel

Join Date 06/2010
+20

With the second part of this year's season coming on pretty soon, what do you guys think of it?

For those that don't know, Doctor Who is about an alien (called a Time Lord) who calls himself the Doctor.  He travels in time with a companion called Amy and a time machine (the TARDIS - Time and Relative Dimensons In Space), performing acts of interstellar philanthropy.

Locked Post 55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 13, 2011 3:33:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I'm thinking that all the stuff we saw the Doctor do in the first minute of the episode one of this series, that's what's going to be the focus of this entire half season. I distinctly remember him digging an escape tunnel in what appeared to be WW 2 Germany, and the next episode is "Let's kill Hitler", so it would make sense and tie into the plot very well. 

With all the twists that have been going on in the series lately, something tells me that the Doctor that died in the first episode was actually a flesh copy, he's too smart to let himself get killed, plus he sort of already knows about it. 

The thing I was looking forward to most from the series in the near future was the 50th Anniversary, I really wanted to see Eccleston as the Doctor again, but he said he won't come back to the show. Also, next year there will be fewer episodes, so that's sad. But I hope that means they'll work on them more. I like Doctor Who and I know that plot convenience has always been one of his greatest weapons, but lately it's been the solution to just about everything. It's almost like the Doctor pulled a Kirk and just cheated. Like, how did he know in the second episode that the Silence guy would say people should shoot them on sight.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the next episode, just two weeks left. 

August 13, 2011 3:50:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He has been battling baddies for hundreds of years. I think after awhile you just get a fell for how they will react. Also, I think the doctor may be using flesh in the first episode. 

August 13, 2011 5:36:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After watching the seasons of the new Dr Who and carefully observing all the new Dr Who characters, I can safely say I now have figured out what the Doctor's real name is.  *drum roll*  The Doctor's real name is.....Mary Sue.

August 13, 2011 5:50:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did you guys notice that in the episode where Rose meets her father in that time loop, we all got rick rolled when she is in the car listening to the radio?    Epic win.

August 14, 2011 1:42:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought it was "doctor Donna."

August 14, 2011 2:03:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm loving everything since season 4, really. Some great arcs.

August 15, 2011 8:37:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You mean Doctor-Donna and that was a mishap of nature.

August 17, 2011 10:03:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No, that wasn't nature.  I thought that was the Time vortex.  I haven't really seen much of that season.  Oh, did you know that there is a series of DW computer games, the Adventure Games?

August 17, 2011 10:14:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually, it was when Donna touched the Doctor's hand (that he lost and then regrew at the start of Season 2 of the new series) when the TARDIS was on the verge of being destroyed in the Dalek Crucible.  It was called the Timelord/Human Metacrisis, and Donna had to have all her memories of the Doctor erased so she could live because her human brain couldn't handle all the extra Timelord stuff for more than a few hours.

At the end of Season One, the Doctor had to absorb the effects of the Time Vortex from Rose, who had looked into it and used it to destroy the Daleks (most of them ) and resurrect Tom Harkness.

Best regards,
Steven.

August 18, 2011 3:28:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I actually love the new series (David Tennant is my fav there) and if you ever watched the original episodes (I did years ago) the new imagining of it is quite--dare I say--"Brilliant".

About the "Mary Sue" comparison--yeah, somewhat--but in defense of the series, they are taking characters and ideas from the original series that everyone loved and highlighting them. 

There is a lot of nostalgia there--especially for Brits--and I thought they did a great job of taking some absurd villains originally presented as nearly all styrofoam and cardboard props and bringing them forward without losing the charm of the original.

I'd also note that the Doctor has had to deal with much darker issues than those of the past and it hasn't all been wine and roses for him.  He's failed on several occasions and people have lost their lives.  The series is still intended for children (as well as adults) and I think they have struck a good balance so far. If I had seen "Blink" (the "Weeping Angels" episode) at eight years of age I wouldn't have slept again until I was 16.

I thought the Weeping Angels and the Silence were brilliant ideas for creepy bad guys (though a bit similar unfortunately) My favorite episode is "The Doctor's Wife" just because its always been obvious that the one constant relationship the Doctor has and can't live without is his TARDIS.

What really strikes me is that for British citizens, the Doctor is an iconic representation of what Britain's want to believe about themselves.  The reverence and devotion to the show by Brits is actually really touching to see and I think it's wonderful that young people growing up can see something that reflects national pride and an encouraging view of the future and science.

I laughed watching a BBC talk show with an American guest and when he quipped that Daleks looked "cheesy and fake" and "weren't scary at all", the audience came to their feet and booed him.  It was epic.

Derek Jacobi's reprise of "The Master" in "Utopia" was really well done.When he turned back to the Master from "The Professor" just did an awesome job of looking genuinely evil.

I just finished re-watching all the newer episodes--hence the reply.  I'm actually going to see Fright Night just to see David Tennant do something else.  In theory, the Doctor should only have two more incarnations.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

August 19, 2011 11:49:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tennant is in the new Fright Night?  This I gotta see. 

August 19, 2011 5:04:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just saw it last night.  It's David Tennant in a whole new light.  Leather pants, open shirt, boozing, womanizing and the F* bomb every other sentence.  I have to scrub my brain now to watch Doctor Who.   Still, he did a good job.  Clips of him are on Youtube for the movie.

I loved the original Fright Night though I am not a huge fan of horror.  Tennant was the tipping point (plus I had a free pass).

If they cleaned it up a bit he could have his own series as a sequel to this on TV.  It would be a hoot

August 20, 2011 3:35:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe it's a sexist thing then?  I've noticed the other infamous mary sues out there seem to dance around it but female characters get absolutely butchered for getting too close at times.

August 20, 2011 10:29:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I don't know if it's actually sexist. I think it has more to the viewer dynamic. Women watching want to live vicariously through the female leads and men vice-versa. Both want eye candy, attractiveness and charm in their character's opposite. Passion sells. The men definitely end up as second-string next to the Doctor and his female leads. In their defense, there is a consistent effort to present women as empowered. I would love to see the same level of commitment in male friendships but hey, it's television.
August 27, 2011 4:15:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Right then, new episode just finished.

Firstly the introduction of the character Mel, out of nowhere, seemed a bit forced, even more so when it was revealed to be River Song, before she knew who she was. Although, the way they ditched here regenerative powers early on makes the rest of her appearances as the same person easier to understand. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, I just hope they don't pull another plot convenience, no need to explain, ending, like in the last season. This episode had a lot of funny bits in in, my favorite would have to be in the TARDIS, with the voice interface, that was so funny, it was criminal. Still I wish they had done more things with Hitler. He just sits there locked in the closet for the whole episode.

August 31, 2011 10:26:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, I wish they had done more with Hitler.  That episode left some questions unanswered.

August 31, 2011 11:04:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That episode left some questions unanswered.

Heh, typical Doctor Who episode..

September 3, 2011 10:06:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Do you all see the this last episode?  Creepy, but about everyday life.

"Deamons run when a good man goes to war."

I keep thinking of this quote, don't know why.

September 5, 2011 8:59:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think the best thing about Doctor Who is that it is not produced by American studios, because when American studios make brilliant sci fi shows,  they can't wait to stupidly screw them up just when everyone gets interested in them (there are a few 'few' exceptions). I am still pissed off over Firefly for example!

September 10, 2011 5:43:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm a browncoat, and I will pretend that firefly went for 10 years as a successful show just so that I may have peace of mind knowing that some producers didn't kill an extremely beautiful experience.  Because if I actually step out of my denial, I might actually want to do something about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show was cancelled because it was TOO good, in that the other shows on TV might look so bad in comparison that they would all need budget increases just to compete and therefore reduce studio profits.

But I don't know or care to look at their financials (if they are even public knowledge).

Dr. Who is a great series, although I haven't watched the most recent episodes.  David Tennant is my favorite male actor out of entire movie industry after watching this series.

September 10, 2011 9:29:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will pretend Nathan Fillion didn't hear that. David Tenant is great, one of the best, but people seem to think he is better. The show is more about good writing and consistency. These two guys were lucky enough to work with some of the few great writers of our time. The only real way to make a comparison is to have them play the same part. 

I think I just created a new reality show. 

September 11, 2011 3:23:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I thought they were playing the same part?

September 11, 2011 4:18:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The girl who waited -

Rory raised an interesting question... why doesn't the doctor steer clear of disaster zones that could very likely kill him and/or his friends? I get an aimed relief effort or whatever, but just randomly stumbling into uncertain death over and over doesn't seem like a good idea when you're mostly sightseeing. And the doctor says... "that's not how I travel". And Rory says that in that case he doesn't want to travel with the doctor! Brilliant comeback. And the ending... Getting a bit dark, are we? That look on the doctor when he kills the old Amy. And then again when he sees the young Amy asking about her. Poor Rory in a bit of a bind now, I think.

September 11, 2011 4:34:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would have said, "Because I'm a Time Lord bitch." End of discussion. 

September 11, 2011 5:03:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Because the doctor is tired of killing, hes killed so many daleks and other people after all.  That much killing gets to you after a while, you don't want to kill anymore!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: