The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2v2 Demigod Invitational Tournament

By on May 15, 2011 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Demigod_Logo

*graphic courtesy of r_munch –thx!

Background

Back quite some time ago when we were talking about tournaments… WAAYYYYY back when I had that oh so very annoying thread about DG players – tier 1, tier 2 and those to be avoided (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/372184)…

… I had an idea.  What if we had a tournament where every player was teamed up with every other player.  This means, the tournament will really be about individual excellence.  We mix and match teams.  You don’t try to form team super perfect – you get an assigned teammate that changes each round.  For every win, each player on the team gets 1 point.  If you lose, you get nothing.  We do this until we go through the combinations.  The winner is the person with the most points as they were clearly the most effective on each team.   In the event of a tie… well… I’ll figure something out.  So, as you can see, this tournament is going to be structured VERY differently than our previous ones.  If all is well with the brackets, you will play on the same team with every single person exactly 1 time.

The Brackets

Although it probably doesn’t sound all that challenging to pull off, we actually had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with a decent bracket that would enable us to have the tournament they way we wanted it.  Thankfully, sledge was kind enough to help out and take the time to develop the brackets so I wouldn’t be doing all of the heavy lifting here.  Please give him some karma if you think of it.  At any rate, here’s a link to the brackets.  Please take a look to help get a better understanding of how things will work.  https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An02sqdF5v-EdG1hLTI1d3prLWpnWUpSRnNrbG9RMFE&hl=en_US&authkey=CLWZtdgO 

Be aware that we will have EXACTLY 16 players in this tournament.  In the event that we only have 15 players, we will add in 1 enhanced AI, etc

What is the schedule?

We should spend some time discussing this.  Technically, we could start immediately.  As you can see from the brackets, all you need is 3 other folks online at the same time to get a game in.  I propose that we setup some specifics dates and times that will be considered game days.  We can all show up during this time windows, pair up, and get some games in. 

What are the rules?
  • The tournament is 2v2 and is invitation only 
  • The map is cataract using default settings (AI settings will be on low gold/xp and high HP)
  • When the brackets are created (this happens right at the start of the tourney), the team that is on the left side of the bracket will be on the light side and the team on the right side of the bracket will be on the dark side
  • Each team may declare 1 of the opposing team's Demigods and the player that must use that Demigod. 
  • The team on light will tell a specific player on the dark side what dg they are to use.  Then, the team on dark will tell one player on the light side what Demigod they must use.  Then, the other player on the light team may pick any Demigod they want (no doubles).  And last, the remaining player on the dark team will pick any Demigod they want (no doubles)
  • All players must use uberfix 1.05 (you can download it here:  http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • Replays for all games must be uploaded to the Jee site by someone on the winning team.  This can easily be done when you report your results in on the Jee site.

What is the prize?
  • 1st place – $20 – pacov appears to be the only sponsor.  If you’d like to kick in some prize money, pm me.

Payouts will be delivered by PayPal.  If you don’t have a PayPal account, get one.  If you can’t do that, then you will not receive a payout for the cash prizes if you win.  If you do win, provide me with your PayPal addresses via pm on these forums and I will get you sorted in short order.  If the needed PayPal email address has not been provided in 1 week, the prize money is forfeit.  Cash is rendered via PayPal in US dollars.  If you are from another country, the conversion is provided by PayPal.  Any fee charged by PayPal will come directly out of your winnings (so its possible the winners could receive less than the listed payout).

How do I report my wins?
  1. This section needs updated – all wins should be reported via replays on jeeplays

Disqualifications

Thankfully, we have not had a need to disqualify any teams yet during our tournaments, but here are the ground rules.

1. Intentionally desyncing a game will result in a forfeit.  If you believe this has occurred, send me a copy of your DemigodLog.txt file.  I’ll request some additional files if needed.  Hopefully we can continue to keep this nonsense out of our tournaments going forward.
  2. If you have not played at least 1 game within the first week of the tournament, you can be dropped and replaced by another player.
  3. If you have not completed your games in a reasonable amount of time, you can be DQ’d
Locked Post 272 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 22, 2011 11:52:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Enhanced AI? While I'm admit I'm a bit smarter, I don't have half that many artifacts, as a rule

June 22, 2011 12:47:31 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Orcun-,
Heya

It looks like it will take a while to start the tourney, i have time until 13th of July pretty much . Then wrapping up and saying good bye to US of A. I will be back in Turkey for a while and i have no idea how the connection would be there. I would be glad if you can make a post on how long the tourney will likely to last Pacov once it is clear. If it is a short one like 2-3 weekends, i might be able to join but otherwise i don't want to commit and leave in the middle of it which would probably create problems. 

If i can't make it to the tourney, i would like to make a DG night to have a chance to say goodbye to all and play for the last time sometime soon.

I'd love to have you in the tournament as well, but frankly, I have no idea if folks are going to be quick about getting their games in or just flounder about a bit until dq.  It's probably best if we just have a DG night or maybe organize a small tourney that follows similar rules for 6-8 of us that we could knock out in short order.

That said, here's the list of folks that are participating:

1. pacov
  2. zex
  3. vixel
  4. nnnils
  5. sledge71
  6. darkliath
  7. HempRX
  8. mith
  9. zen_god
  10. jona
  11. Dreamcatcher
  12. doggu
  13. tactical
  14. Homer87
  15. IN1
  16. Mcshane

We expecting anyone from the list to flake out or already be gone?  I haven't heard from jona in a bit anyway.  Highlighted the folks that I'm confident will play.  And mcshane, are you officially in or should I try to grab a quick replacement?  I only highlighted folks that I see on a regular basis in dg or folks that I know will very likely do their best to show up. 

June 22, 2011 9:03:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Orcun-,
i would like to make a DG night to have a chance to say goodbye to all and play for the last time sometime soon.
yes please, I hope that won't be your last demigod night ever though

I'm starting to get frustrated again with demigod, which was the first reason i once stopped -.- demigod nights may the only way to play high lvl games that are also fun.

June 23, 2011 6:12:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds like a good idea Ocrun but then we would have this little problem with the time zones. Perhaps we should all just post the country or time zone we live in. That way we could schedule matches or "demigod nights" for specific regions and the remaining matches could be planned by each player sererately via friends list.

Since I made this proposal:

I am from Germany and the timezone would be GMT+2 (since it is summertime)

June 23, 2011 9:53:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zen_God,
ver though

I'm starting to get frustrated again with demigod, which was the first reason i once stopped -.- demigod nights may the only way to play high lvl games that are also fun.

I've actually stopped playing, I finally get decent as internet, i go into game and no ones going over 200 for me. We start the game and theres lag with everyone yelling its me, yet i check the pings and nothing still isnt going over 200.

June 24, 2011 12:10:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

brackets filled in.  See op for link to it.

OK - so we are good to start - there is no requirement to play the games in order or anything (eg by round) - though we could.  Anyway, we could start as soon as this weekend if we wanted. 

June 24, 2011 12:17:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Side note - I'd make time tomorrow for some 2v2 tourney games if 3 more folks in the brackets are up for it.

June 24, 2011 3:58:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uh first game against Pacov.

I would say we are free to start right away, or not?

June 24, 2011 4:12:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We can, maybe, do the following tomorrow:

pacov	IN1
doggu Mcshane
Homer87	pacov
IN1 Dreamcatcher
vixel	pacov
nnnils IN1 

I can contact Dream via skype. Vixel, doggu and nnnils are usually readily available. I've played with McShane yesterday, too. No idea as to Homer87's online habits, he joined exactly when I took a break. On the other hand, maybe I should start slowly (way too much top players in these matches). Still not fully recovered, but getting there That said, as long as my teammates don't care -- no problem.

And a question arises concerning the rules. Let's say (hypothetically) I play with doggu. Now, pacov says: "I want IN1 to play UB", thus killing two birds with one stone -- preventing doggu from taking his strongest DG and forcing me to play half-assed UB. Legitimate? If not, where's the red line here? I'm not sure that if pacov says, instead: "I want doggu to play Sedna", the result will be much better (never saw his Sed, but doggu claims he's hopeless with her). I mean, yes, we are all gentlemen and stuff, and I'm sure no one will tell doggu to play Sed, but why have a rule like this if we aren't going to use it?

Another matter: have you/someone else tried to invite ppap and Rin?

June 24, 2011 5:25:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We will use it IN1. I will force the player to play a certain DG that most damages their chance to win. No place for Gentlemen. So in your example sure you will play UB or Doggu will play Sedna.

I talked to both papa and Rin. Rin never answered in the lobby when I asked. Papa said the tournament is too long for him and he doesnt like the rules. We didnt go deeper as game then started.

June 24, 2011 5:51:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So in your example sure you will play UB or Doggu will play Sedna.

Oh my. We are up to some extremely interesting games

Rin never answered in the lobby when I asked.

Btw, it's not because he's arrogant or something. It's just... Ppap once told me he feels like he's 3 y. o. while speaking English Overall, I find Far Eastern guys much easier to deal with than Russians (and I'm a native Russian speaker).

Anyway, I just happen to think both Rin and Ppap deserve to be in this tourney much much much more than me. I bought Blacksmith1 at WR3 instead of Cur1 the day before yesterday Ask Shane. The bottom line is, I'll try to speak to Ppapanek again.

June 24, 2011 6:35:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blacksmith 1 upgrade became a must after you were gone, so you did correct choice

As for ppapanek and rin. They deserve place here a lot more than most of us, but oh well... Don't want, so... And also, Rin is bad at English.

June 24, 2011 6:46:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I never thought Rin was arrogant. Played enough games with him to know him ok. Point is he knew about the tourney and didnt sign up so there must be some kind of reason. For Papa the story is different as I find his english more than sufficient. He didnt want to participate. Although I agree that from my point of view papa would be one the of top favourites to win it.

Btw she is lying. 

June 24, 2011 7:07:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks, for all the work and time you spent for organizing this pacov!

June 24, 2011 9:10:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw she is lying. 

Oh noes! 

June 24, 2011 9:46:02 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

OK - consider the tournament started.  I'd like to set some specific "game days"  Maybe 2 days at different times per week where folks are expected to get games in.  You aren't restricted to playing just on the game days, but I want to schedule them so folks can make themselves available to play.  Anyone that doesn't get at least 1 game in the next week or so is likely to be cut and replaced by someone else - I know I have 1 person on deck already... and if it happens that the tournament actually looks like its going quickly, we could replace someone for orcun... and again, I'd only look to replace anyone if they aren't playing their games.  As it stands right now, the 16 person roster is set.

Onto tonight, I'm up for any games with anyone available.  I could get on at a specific time if that would help, or we can schedule a match if we can get anyone to chime in.  Sounds like you are game at least, IN1.  Anyone else able to commit to being available for a game today?  My potential free time would be from about 7PM EST - 1AM EST.  Obviously not that whole time slot, but I could make it during that time if folks can commit to being available. 

June 24, 2011 1:35:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe we can play this today:

Homer87	pacov
IN1 Dreamcatcher

Both Dreamcatcher and Homer were online today.

June 24, 2011 2:03:53 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'm game, in1 - I just need to know when we'd play.  That said, I'm not free for another 5 hours...

June 25, 2011 12:58:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, nothing panned out for a game this evening, sadly.  Hopefully soon.  I'm unavailable until late tomorrow.  Perhaps 3 will be around. 

All - please use this thread to try to schedule a match.  I think we can actually sort at least a few games quite easily by everyone posting here and saying "I'll be ready for a game at X time."  Then just make yourself available for like 10 min in a game called TOURNEY by hosting.  And if you are planning on joining anyone that posts here, just reply. 

June 25, 2011 1:33:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I should be in ventrillo, pls message

June 25, 2011 7:55:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok will try to also be on Ventrilo everytime I am available to play. Usually I am around from 5pm EST thats 11pm CET for a few hours, sometimes also earlier. But I am there every day.

June 25, 2011 9:00:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I was there with you and Julia, and I've seen Zen on Vent. If you need to contact Dreamcatcher -- I can skype him, as stated.

June 25, 2011 10:44:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi, I will be hosting a game between 7pm and 8pm (GMT+2) if someone wants to join me:

name: 2v2 Tournament

pw: tourney

EDIT: Wont make it until 7pm so the new time will be between 8pm and 9pm.

June 25, 2011 2:56:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi all, Im stiil in can play some games during all next week.

June 26, 2011 12:07:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im still in when does this start? Been checking the op but havent seen the start date.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: