The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2v2 Demigod Invitational Tournament

By on May 15, 2011 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Demigod_Logo

*graphic courtesy of r_munch –thx!

Background

Back quite some time ago when we were talking about tournaments… WAAYYYYY back when I had that oh so very annoying thread about DG players – tier 1, tier 2 and those to be avoided (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/372184)…

… I had an idea.  What if we had a tournament where every player was teamed up with every other player.  This means, the tournament will really be about individual excellence.  We mix and match teams.  You don’t try to form team super perfect – you get an assigned teammate that changes each round.  For every win, each player on the team gets 1 point.  If you lose, you get nothing.  We do this until we go through the combinations.  The winner is the person with the most points as they were clearly the most effective on each team.   In the event of a tie… well… I’ll figure something out.  So, as you can see, this tournament is going to be structured VERY differently than our previous ones.  If all is well with the brackets, you will play on the same team with every single person exactly 1 time.

The Brackets

Although it probably doesn’t sound all that challenging to pull off, we actually had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with a decent bracket that would enable us to have the tournament they way we wanted it.  Thankfully, sledge was kind enough to help out and take the time to develop the brackets so I wouldn’t be doing all of the heavy lifting here.  Please give him some karma if you think of it.  At any rate, here’s a link to the brackets.  Please take a look to help get a better understanding of how things will work.  https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An02sqdF5v-EdG1hLTI1d3prLWpnWUpSRnNrbG9RMFE&hl=en_US&authkey=CLWZtdgO 

Be aware that we will have EXACTLY 16 players in this tournament.  In the event that we only have 15 players, we will add in 1 enhanced AI, etc

What is the schedule?

We should spend some time discussing this.  Technically, we could start immediately.  As you can see from the brackets, all you need is 3 other folks online at the same time to get a game in.  I propose that we setup some specifics dates and times that will be considered game days.  We can all show up during this time windows, pair up, and get some games in. 

What are the rules?
  • The tournament is 2v2 and is invitation only 
  • The map is cataract using default settings (AI settings will be on low gold/xp and high HP)
  • When the brackets are created (this happens right at the start of the tourney), the team that is on the left side of the bracket will be on the light side and the team on the right side of the bracket will be on the dark side
  • Each team may declare 1 of the opposing team's Demigods and the player that must use that Demigod. 
  • The team on light will tell a specific player on the dark side what dg they are to use.  Then, the team on dark will tell one player on the light side what Demigod they must use.  Then, the other player on the light team may pick any Demigod they want (no doubles).  And last, the remaining player on the dark team will pick any Demigod they want (no doubles)
  • All players must use uberfix 1.05 (you can download it here:  http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • Replays for all games must be uploaded to the Jee site by someone on the winning team.  This can easily be done when you report your results in on the Jee site.

What is the prize?
  • 1st place – $20 – pacov appears to be the only sponsor.  If you’d like to kick in some prize money, pm me.

Payouts will be delivered by PayPal.  If you don’t have a PayPal account, get one.  If you can’t do that, then you will not receive a payout for the cash prizes if you win.  If you do win, provide me with your PayPal addresses via pm on these forums and I will get you sorted in short order.  If the needed PayPal email address has not been provided in 1 week, the prize money is forfeit.  Cash is rendered via PayPal in US dollars.  If you are from another country, the conversion is provided by PayPal.  Any fee charged by PayPal will come directly out of your winnings (so its possible the winners could receive less than the listed payout).

How do I report my wins?
  1. This section needs updated – all wins should be reported via replays on jeeplays

Disqualifications

Thankfully, we have not had a need to disqualify any teams yet during our tournaments, but here are the ground rules.

1. Intentionally desyncing a game will result in a forfeit.  If you believe this has occurred, send me a copy of your DemigodLog.txt file.  I’ll request some additional files if needed.  Hopefully we can continue to keep this nonsense out of our tournaments going forward.
  2. If you have not played at least 1 game within the first week of the tournament, you can be dropped and replaced by another player.
  3. If you have not completed your games in a reasonable amount of time, you can be DQ’d
Locked Post 272 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 26, 2011 12:20:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, I think we have to get some times set. I've been in the lobby with both Vixel and doggu for 2 hrs tonight, but other participants weren't there/weren't replying to my PMs. Pacov, I know you play DG less now, but this tourney really needs some minimal coordination (people DO show up, and it's perfectly possible to do those matches) -- and you are the only one with enough authority to pull it off.

June 26, 2011 12:50:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK - we'll get some official "game days" scheduled here.  I'll look into it tomorrow. 

June 26, 2011 6:46:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

who is this homer person i play two games with?

June 26, 2011 4:17:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Three Jona. You play with everyone once and against everyone twice. If you go into pantheon and look for homer then you will find him. I added now all players in the tourney to my "friends list". Will start to explicitly ask people directly in chat to schedule games as I agree with IN1 here we also had 4 participants together yesterday but not a game with exactly those four in it. So we have to schedule with a little more effort.

June 26, 2011 6:19:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

we'll talk about setting specific dates and times in a bit here.  I'm online now in both demigod (as cheesuscrust) and in the public vent server. 

I'm up for a tournament game and am just working on fine tuning the new ai mod, so I can be available pretty quickly.  So, if you are around and free, respond here or pm me in game.  Perhaps we can knock out at least 1 or 2 tourney games tonight. 

June 26, 2011 8:13:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anybody playing tonight?  I'll be on after True Blood, so like an hour and a half from now.

June 26, 2011 8:33:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oo... so annoyed... agreed to watch true blood with some friends... which means I can't watch it tonight... SOB!!!

Anyway, I'm around playing.  Pm me on cheesuscrust when you get on.  Perhaps we can get a game coordinated.

June 26, 2011 8:39:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

anyone else want to jump on at 10PM EST?  That's 1 hour and 19 min from now.  We only need two more folks - doesn't matter who.

June 26, 2011 10:53:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok - let's set 2 days up in advance.  Wednesday 6/29 and Saturday 7/2.  Let's set some specific times for everyone to show up and then we will form games.  What times works for you folks?  On wed, at least for me, we would need to start anywhere between 6pm and 9pm est.  On Saturday (again, in EST), we could do something at an hour that might be better for our european friends/etc.  Perhaps something like noon est?  I'm up for whatever.  We just need folks to commit to a time and show up then for this to work.

June 27, 2011 9:22:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just saw trueblood Loved it!  Why do I have to play with the only person ive never playd with for more games than anyone else =/?

Homer do you wanna play some games today?

Can you post everyones full username  because the people i dont already have wont add to my friends list.

Well played first game in forever today I remember why i started playing LoL  I get soooo angry when ppl dont play their dgs right,  i think its because theres so few options its insanity not to atleast build them correctly -.-.

June 27, 2011 10:51:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Jona,
Why do I have to play with the only person ive never playd with for more games than anyone else =/?

Play more LoL and your partners will be everyone, who you didn't play with His nickname is Homer87, others too lazy to search, write. You know most anyway.

By the way. LoL doesn't have skill builds. Everyone ends up with one and the same. So it's not interesting

June 27, 2011 10:59:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's fast. Jona loves fast. Kinda.

June 27, 2011 11:14:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In Lol you can choose so many different ways to build a champ and there are so many too choose from that have different machanics .  And i already added homer87 im talking about others.

June 27, 2011 1:56:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

jona, in the meantime (while you are waiting for someone else to do it for you), you can just type in part of their name in the pantheon tab (you know - how you look up players) and get the name that way.

Back to the whole topic of scheduling...

June 27, 2011 4:46:51 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
ok - let's set 2 days up in advance. Wednesday 6/29 and Saturday 7/2. Let's set some specific times for everyone to show up and then we will form games. What times works for you folks? On wed, at least for me, we would need to start anywhere between 6pm and 9pm est. On Saturday (again, in EST), we could do something at an hour that might be better for our european friends/etc. Perhaps something like noon est? I'm up for whatever. We just need folks to commit to a time and show up then for this to work.

June 27, 2011 6:13:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

vixel and I will both be on in about 1 hour (7:15EST) - we need two more folks and we can knock out a few tourney games.

June 27, 2011 6:24:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe I will make it. We need nnnils for a game, however.

June 27, 2011 6:52:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well... here are the folks that sound like they are available (at least who I've been chatting with in the last 20 min:

• pacov
  • vixel
  • darkliath
  • in1

heh... in a magical perfect world, we'd be able to match up.    But according to the brackets, we can't.  Anyone else out there that could play? 

June 27, 2011 9:37:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

fug it - going to play some dg.  Join if ya like!

June 28, 2011 7:34:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At first I thought we could schedule the games independantly like I did that one tournament game the last tourney. Meanwhile I am not so sure. Tried 2 days ago to ingame pm (chat) all players for two games and then yesterday for a third game. The results:

Hemp (2), IN1 (2), Zex (2) and Jona (1) didnt answer at all, the numbers in () are the days I wrote them ago.

Homer answered and gave me times he is available. This is what I would like to have. 

doggu answered very quick but "what game? I dont follow" and "sorry count me out I am on my way to work", but meanwhile I also have a good answer from him, so doggus answer was also something I can work with.

dreamcatcher tells me yesterday he can play tuesday and wednesday night. Great. Night where? We need a little more information then just that. But at least he answered within a day.

tatical also answered within half a day and said he can tell me on friday exactly when he can play. Thats of course also acceptable.

Overall I came to two conclusions:

1. Having like half US and half Euro players it is unlikely to get a game going during the week as when the US players come home from work/school the euros go to bed. This is being made even a bit more complicated as doggu is from Australia.

2.It will be very, very hard to schedule every game seperately so we need to make fixed times to play. This time has to be weekend and early in the day US time (like noon and later). Not everyone should be expected to be there the whole time of course but starting from noon US until evening US everyone should show up once every weekend at least (two chances as its sat and sun). 

Dont think we will pull this off in any other way.

June 28, 2011 7:56:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hemp (2), IN1 (2), Zex (2) and Jona (1) didnt answer at all, the numbers in () are the days I wrote them ago.

I've never been contacted by you, Sledge. Yes, I am sure. Yes, I usually get all my PMs intact. In fact, I don't even have you on my contact list

June 28, 2011 12:16:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wrote you ingame via the Impulse Chat. Maybe you need to accept me, I dont know.

Didnt want to blame anyone here in any way. Just trying to say that it is harder than I thought and we will have to find a way to organize this here at least a little.

June 28, 2011 12:57:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was chatting with vixel - he says he's am available every week day from 10am-12am GMT for now. and most weekends anytime.

June 28, 2011 4:00:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thought about IN1 not getting my ingame chat message. Maybe everyone could tell in here which ingame name they will be using for tournament. Pacov should then add that in the op. And everyone should add all players to their friends list. That should make things a bit easier. Even if we are all around at that specific tournament time, only the friends list tells me who is really on.

June 28, 2011 4:51:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

when i'm on i'm in vent. Not in demigod though. It's not enjoyable atm

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: