The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2v2 Demigod Invitational Tournament

By on May 15, 2011 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Demigod_Logo

*graphic courtesy of r_munch –thx!

Background

Back quite some time ago when we were talking about tournaments… WAAYYYYY back when I had that oh so very annoying thread about DG players – tier 1, tier 2 and those to be avoided (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/372184)…

… I had an idea.  What if we had a tournament where every player was teamed up with every other player.  This means, the tournament will really be about individual excellence.  We mix and match teams.  You don’t try to form team super perfect – you get an assigned teammate that changes each round.  For every win, each player on the team gets 1 point.  If you lose, you get nothing.  We do this until we go through the combinations.  The winner is the person with the most points as they were clearly the most effective on each team.   In the event of a tie… well… I’ll figure something out.  So, as you can see, this tournament is going to be structured VERY differently than our previous ones.  If all is well with the brackets, you will play on the same team with every single person exactly 1 time.

The Brackets

Although it probably doesn’t sound all that challenging to pull off, we actually had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with a decent bracket that would enable us to have the tournament they way we wanted it.  Thankfully, sledge was kind enough to help out and take the time to develop the brackets so I wouldn’t be doing all of the heavy lifting here.  Please give him some karma if you think of it.  At any rate, here’s a link to the brackets.  Please take a look to help get a better understanding of how things will work.  https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An02sqdF5v-EdG1hLTI1d3prLWpnWUpSRnNrbG9RMFE&hl=en_US&authkey=CLWZtdgO 

Be aware that we will have EXACTLY 16 players in this tournament.  In the event that we only have 15 players, we will add in 1 enhanced AI, etc

What is the schedule?

We should spend some time discussing this.  Technically, we could start immediately.  As you can see from the brackets, all you need is 3 other folks online at the same time to get a game in.  I propose that we setup some specifics dates and times that will be considered game days.  We can all show up during this time windows, pair up, and get some games in. 

What are the rules?
  • The tournament is 2v2 and is invitation only 
  • The map is cataract using default settings (AI settings will be on low gold/xp and high HP)
  • When the brackets are created (this happens right at the start of the tourney), the team that is on the left side of the bracket will be on the light side and the team on the right side of the bracket will be on the dark side
  • Each team may declare 1 of the opposing team's Demigods and the player that must use that Demigod. 
  • The team on light will tell a specific player on the dark side what dg they are to use.  Then, the team on dark will tell one player on the light side what Demigod they must use.  Then, the other player on the light team may pick any Demigod they want (no doubles).  And last, the remaining player on the dark team will pick any Demigod they want (no doubles)
  • All players must use uberfix 1.05 (you can download it here:  http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • Replays for all games must be uploaded to the Jee site by someone on the winning team.  This can easily be done when you report your results in on the Jee site.

What is the prize?
  • 1st place – $20 – pacov appears to be the only sponsor.  If you’d like to kick in some prize money, pm me.

Payouts will be delivered by PayPal.  If you don’t have a PayPal account, get one.  If you can’t do that, then you will not receive a payout for the cash prizes if you win.  If you do win, provide me with your PayPal addresses via pm on these forums and I will get you sorted in short order.  If the needed PayPal email address has not been provided in 1 week, the prize money is forfeit.  Cash is rendered via PayPal in US dollars.  If you are from another country, the conversion is provided by PayPal.  Any fee charged by PayPal will come directly out of your winnings (so its possible the winners could receive less than the listed payout).

How do I report my wins?
  1. This section needs updated – all wins should be reported via replays on jeeplays

Disqualifications

Thankfully, we have not had a need to disqualify any teams yet during our tournaments, but here are the ground rules.

1. Intentionally desyncing a game will result in a forfeit.  If you believe this has occurred, send me a copy of your DemigodLog.txt file.  I’ll request some additional files if needed.  Hopefully we can continue to keep this nonsense out of our tournaments going forward.
  2. If you have not played at least 1 game within the first week of the tournament, you can be dropped and replaced by another player.
  3. If you have not completed your games in a reasonable amount of time, you can be DQ’d
Locked Post 272 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 13, 2011 3:56:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zen_God,

Quoting OMG_pacov, reply 146oo... let's discuss.... rook ub removed.... is that good for the tourney? lol removing is always a terrible idea. And the whole idea of your tournament was who is best with every demigod. Now it will be oak or erebus every game what a difference!

May be... but - Ub is always the same. Oak can be assasin, tank, minion, hybrid.

June 13, 2011 12:12:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm rook can counter ub and oak can counter rook.. and oak has monks - so it will be either ub/rook or oak i guess.. maybe erebus somtimes too

June 13, 2011 12:51:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nnnils,
hmm rook can counter ub and oak can counter rook.. and oak has monks - so it will be either ub/rook or oak i guess.. maybe erebus somtimes too

yes - but you still need to factor in the different skill sets of the players involved.  If the only dg I could play well is tb, you probably wouldn't be smart to have me go ub just because that's what you think the strongest combo would be.  Odds are you'd be better off playing to my strength as tb even if that meant a weaker dg combo.  Don't get me wrong - there will be quite a few tier 1 v tier 1 matchups here where exactly what you are staying will happen, but that's not going to happen in all circumstances. 

June 13, 2011 6:22:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
If the only dg I could play well is tb, you probably wouldn't be smart to have me go ub just because that's what you think the strongest combo would be.  Odds are you'd be better off playing to my strength as tb even if that meant a weaker dg combo. 

I think you would be smart actually, I'd rather have a decent UB which anybody on that list outside of tactical can pull off then a really good TB playing with my Reg or DA.  

June 13, 2011 6:43:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

June 13, 2011 7:08:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-McShane87,

Quoting OMG_pacov, reply 153 If the only dg I could play well is tb, you probably wouldn't be smart to have me go ub just because that's what you think the strongest combo would be.  Odds are you'd be better off playing to my strength as tb even if that meant a weaker dg combo. 
I think you would be smart actually, I'd rather have a decent UB which anybody on that list outside of tactical can pull off then a really good TB playing with my Reg or DA.  

i don't see you on the list shane, you not participating?

June 13, 2011 7:14:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

100% Agree with McShane.  I remember one of the last Random Assassin games I last played with the boys where I was talking out my ass about how it would just be an auto-win for our team if I ended up as UB.  People were commenting on how it wasn't as easy to play him as I thought, and having played mostly only TB during my Demigod days I figured they were probably right.

And the game started and to my absolute horror I saw that I was UB and that the teams weren't that uneven as far as the rest of the Demigod selection went.  In my life, I don't think I'd need more than ten fingers to count how many times I've played UB so I figured I was about to humiliate myself.

Not so much.  I spat, I grasped, I ganked.  Think maybe I died one time... but fortunately suicided so no worries.

June 13, 2011 9:06:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zen_God,
i don't see you on the list shane, you not participating?

I'll probably jump in once the details are finalized, still 3 spots left and probably going to be a couple dropouts.

June 13, 2011 9:25:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO not saying this is the truth.

UB and Rook are the easiest demigod to play and be effective with.

Anyone can spit on people and stun teleports with grasp. 

Anyone can drop towers, sit in a tower farm, and push lanes. 

June 13, 2011 11:17:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cow - I generally agree.  But you also have to admit that there are definitely some rooks and ubs that are better than others - even if all they do is what you said.  If all it takes to win is having a ub or rook on your team... well... ... and demigod is terribly unbalanced.  And I completely disagree with this.  Some players (doggu for instance) believe that if there is a rook on the other team, then you must have a rook on your team.  I disagree.  I don't deny rook and ub are great on cataract.  But I very much deny that in an all tier 1 match up that rook/ub will always win (though I admit - doesn't hurt).  And I completely deny that all rooks/ubs are equal.  Its too generic and the concept just dumbs down dg too much.

OK - i guess we will entertain the dg selection conversation a little longer.  I'm not really sure what you guys consider a reasonable compromise.  The goal is to show individual excellence and have fun.  I'm somewhat surprised to see so many of you balking at 1 person is forced to play whatever you choose and the other gets free reign rule. 

Let me play this out for you.  Let's say zen and I are on the same team for a match and the rules are as they stand.  Whoever we are playing against gets to decide which of us gets to pick who we want and which of us gets nerfed.  If you tell me I have to be da, then I'm like hey - good call - I'm obviously the better of us (or you are dumb).  If you tell zen he has to be erebus (http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/details/1/84) -HEH... well then I'm like - go f yourself, I'm going to destroy you.  And I'll pick whatever dg will best tear apart your team.  I hope you can see the fun angle here.  Anytime someone forces you to be a particular dg - it either means they know you are crap with a certain dg... or they absolutely don't want you to pick a certain dg.  This is a way of us giving props to (and insulting) each other during the tourney - regardless of who the final winner is. 

Anyway - so what other compromise is there?  I'm not for completely removing dgs from this tourney.  Maybe we could have a no tier 1 option that each team could pick.  For instance, let's say I'm up against zen/renz with me and darkliath.  I could say no tier 1 for their team.  So they can't use rook/erb/oak/ub.  But they actually get to pick their team.  Then they decide that they will force me to go da.  Which means dark could play anyone she wants.  This would make side of the map you are very important.  Is this enough or too much of a compromise?  Would it result in 100% of the matches being everyone saying no tier 1?  I don't know.  As long as there is some strat in team selection and it often forces strong players to use weaker dgs, then I'm all game.  What do you think?

June 13, 2011 11:49:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am just sick of rook and ub. 

I would like to see some more of the other DG's played in the tourney.

BUT I do agree with Zen that the BEST of the BEST should be able to play ALL of the demigods at a pro/good/above average whatever you want to call it level but I think we all know that we all can play ub and rook. As far as who is the best with UB and rook goes, thats about a 10 person tie with each character. 

June 13, 2011 11:58:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
I am just sick of rook and ub.

well fair enough... but what do you think of my idea?  Will that just result in everyone choosing the "no tier 1" rule and then forming their team?  Is that bad?  or ok?

edit - stfu and play a game cow... 5/21 was your last game... BOOOO 

June 14, 2011 12:51:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

Quoting OMG_ZEX, reply 161I am just sick of rook and ub.

well fair enough... but what do you think of my idea?  Will that just result in everyone choosing the "no tier 1" rule and then forming their team?  Is that bad?  or ok?

edit - stfu and play a game cow... 5/21 was your last game... BOOOO 

I think I did play one not that long ago and it was a critical error, no record  

June 14, 2011 1:25:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov when do you stop spamming jeeplays with terrible replays^^

June 14, 2011 1:32:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
who is the best with UB and rook goes, thats about a 10 person tie with each character.
there can only be one!

June 14, 2011 3:41:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think you are overdiscussing it. Forcing one player and let the other one chose already is our compromise. Pacovs examples are good as you can see the strategic thoughts behind it. Add to his example with Darkliath that she will have to pick her DG first before they tell Pacov to play DA. Will Dark in that scenario really pick Rook or UB knowing that they will most probably let Pacov play Reg or DA?

If you look at this thread then the only reason we are still discussing is that Zex is sick of Rook and UB. Its ofc his own choice to be sick but he isnt even going to play. Lets play it the way it stands. If it sucks we can change stuff in the next tournament of this type. It wont be perfect anyways as no one of us has any experience with this format. No matter who discusses about it, they all have no clue, which includes me ofc. So lets do it.

June 14, 2011 8:17:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zen_God,
"nnnils became annoyed with zen towards the end and dropped. It was a fun game that I didn't think we had the best shot of winning, but we pulled it off in the end." zen was playing with godplate as his only item - prooving once more that hes a bitch

June 14, 2011 8:19:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zen_God,

I will never stop (well right now... I've stopped). 

I have no comments about zen's erb in that game.  heh.

June 14, 2011 11:56:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,
zen was playing with godplate as his only item - prooving once more that hes a bitch

Later i told him that he shud get some mana. 10 minutes later he bought hungarling....

June 14, 2011 12:41:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mayhaps he just got too excited about having 2 erbs.  Or perhaps this was all an elaborate ruse to get me to make him play erebus when I play against him. 

OK - so are we done with any discussion on the dg selection rules?  We'll just stick with this, right?

1 player on each team is forced to play a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick whatever they want

OK? 

Any other rule based stuff we need to discuss?  I'd love to get this rolling. 

Anyway, our current roster:

1. pacov
  2. zex
  3. vixel
  4. nnnils
  5. sledge71
  6. darkliath? 
  7. HempRX
  8. mith
  9. zen_god
  10. jona
  11. Dreamcatcher
  12. doggu
  13. tactical

We have 3 open slots.  As you see folks in game that you'd like to see participate, please give them an invite.  Now's a good time to say you want in though if you are on the fence or waiting for crap to settle.  We really will have exactly 16 folks and once the slots are filled, then that's that.  You are out if you didn't register. 

June 14, 2011 5:19:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for ending the discussion.

McShane was interested, I think. What happened to Insidious?

June 14, 2011 7:31:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

omg zen god you are such a bitch. why have you always been such a bitch. 

June 14, 2011 7:32:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
omg zen god you are such a bitch. why have you always been such a bitch. 
since you played "i don't heal you with my heal sedna" =D

June 14, 2011 7:34:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

June 14, 2011 8:47:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ah ha, another soul that hedgie has stolen and made into a bitter and rotten shell. 

~~~

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: