The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

If yesterday's games where made today...

By on February 13, 2011 1:21:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

... they'd probably look like this.

Haha.  Couldn't help it...

Locked Post 26 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 13, 2011 1:28:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ROFL, are you saying games now days are too easy?

February 13, 2011 1:28:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd play the second one.

February 13, 2011 2:16:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

im laughing so hard tears are falling lmao.

wii fit plus + eat burrito rofl

February 13, 2011 5:28:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Qbert one was the win.

February 13, 2011 5:34:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i think the problem this highlights is that games are more about shooting lots of bullets really fast and being a winner. there's no strategy, no risk of having to play over and over, and thus no replay value or challenge. (for non-shooters assume the argument is metaphorical).

February 13, 2011 6:20:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Soooo.... they would all be better?

Cool.

February 13, 2011 9:07:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOL   LOL  best laugh i have had all day.  Thank you!!!  I just woke up.....

February 13, 2011 9:09:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hehehe...

There is something to that.... but I think it depends on the game and genre.

February 13, 2011 9:23:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

HAHA! Oh wow. That made my day. That pong paddle and the hummer crushing the mario carts. Classic.

February 13, 2011 9:29:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I... umm.... think that's a tank, not a Hummer. Looks like a WWII era model...

February 14, 2011 11:15:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't know how much is nostalgia and how much is the change in design, but I do miss the old days when games were really challenging rather than the indulgent linear tripe we get now.

Of course, a big issue is the vastly inflated cost of level design.  There was once a time when 100+ levels was just expected if the developer had more than two people on staff.  Nowadays you'd be lucky if a staff of 100+ will produce more than a dozen levels... and chances are there will only be one remotely difficult one.

February 15, 2011 9:03:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That is classic - thanks for sharing!

February 15, 2011 11:11:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hehe - delightful.  Thanks!

February 16, 2011 12:31:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HA!  nice.

February 16, 2011 2:53:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

That was great!  Is it sad that I remember almost every one of those games from the arcade?

February 17, 2011 12:04:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The thing I am finding odd is that it's making me think about the general moves of publishers to, "reach a broader audience."  This attempt often seems to dumb games down or assumes people can't learn any thing, from terminology to some basic mechanics.  It's also what I see as the, "port," problem.  In any case of a game made for a console as well as the PC, or Heaven forbid, a game made for consoles brought to the PC, 99.9999999 percent of the time does not take into account the flexibility of the PC.  They don't even try to take into account the 128 key Keyboard and mouse combo.  This and/or tiny maps and options.  Irritates me to no end.

February 17, 2011 1:01:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In any case of a game made for a console as well as the PC, or Heaven forbid, a game made for consoles brought to the PC, 99.9999999 percent of the time does not take into account the flexibility of the PC. They don't even try to take into account the 128 key Keyboard and mouse combo. This and/or tiny maps and options. Irritates me to no end.

For example, making me use the arrow keys and enter key to make menu selections when my mouse pointer is sitting right THERE! I mean come on, how lazy of a port is that?

February 17, 2011 11:42:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mbaron888,

In any case of a game made for a console as well as the PC, or Heaven forbid, a game made for consoles brought to the PC, 99.9999999 percent of the time does not take into account the flexibility of the PC. They don't even try to take into account the 128 key Keyboard and mouse combo. This and/or tiny maps and options. Irritates me to no end.

For example, making me use the arrow keys and enter key to make menu selections when my mouse pointer is sitting right THERE! I mean come on, how lazy of a port is that?

If the game is designed around playing it with a joystick/gamepad, that's merely good design as removing your hands from the controller just to use a menu is a pain in the rear, particularly if it's the pause menu rather than the main one.

And before you reply about such games being 'consolized' already and all that, keep in mind there's been controller-oriented games made for PC since inmemorial times, for example Jazz Jackrabbit, One Must Fall: 2097 and the entire Commander Keen series.

February 17, 2011 11:58:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The OP was funny enough, but I was surprised I didn't see "PURCHASE THE DLC FOR ONLY $5.99 TO FINISH THE LEVEL!!" or something of that nature, to truly represent today's way of gaming.  Definitely needed that.

February 18, 2011 2:58:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
... they'd probably look like this.

Haha.  Couldn't help it...

LoL...funny stuff there, Don. We shouldn't be laughing though, because the sad fact of the matter is it's too true. Almost all games today are "dumbed down" when compared to the golden gems we played in yesteryear. Most devs these days use words like "stream-lining" or "intuitive" to trick the dumb kids who don't know any better into thinking this is a good thing, when the reality is it isn't. There's a multitude of reasons behind it as well. Probably one of the major factors is development costs. The next is the excuse "to reach a wider audience". After that comes the fact that today we have the ever increasing "instant gratification generation" that wants their games to be easy, so they don't have to actually think to win, but rather have the game trick them into thinking that they had to "think to win", when it's only a facade of "actual thought". Then we have the very worst reason that games are dumbed down, which is lazy developers. All of these reasons how-ever are done in the name of getting the ever mighty "Highest Profit Margin".

Then of course we have the fact that aside from indie devs like Stardock, most major dev studios don't want to put a lot of money into making a "niche" game such as a strategy game that won't bring in the big bucks like a shooter or action game can. How many major strategy hits have really hit the market in the last few years? I'm talking Main-Stream strategy games from Big Name developers. Hmmm....Starcraft 2, Civ V, and some of the Total War games...and...that's pretty much it. Sad isn't it? I think so...

When 2K games decided to remake Xcom did they think "strategy game"? Hahahaha, yeah right, I think not. Of course to reach the widest market and to rake in as much money as possible it was bastardized into the shooter they're making. I highly doubt the game will take any real kind of "strategic thinking" to play. That's why most "strategy games" today are RTS games and not TBS games, because the "instant gratification generation" doesn't want slow, boring, turn based game-play that requires real thought about where you'll move you're next unit or what kind of attack they'll use. They want to point, click, and win...period.

In my eyes if any game dev out there today wanted to show real innovation, they'd take a large leap backwards and make a game that looked new but played like a old school game. Sadly, I just don't see it happening and I doubt any of the major studios will think that a old school play style could still be a "Hit Game" in today's market.

February 18, 2011 4:07:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, there is always a small chance that Stardock will eventually do something like this.  Maybe yes, maybe no.

Best regards,
Steven.

February 18, 2011 8:55:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hahaha, this is brilliant stuff

February 18, 2011 12:25:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In my eyes if any game dev out there today wanted to show real innovation, they'd take a large leap backwards and make a game that looked new but played like a old school game. Sadly, I just don't see it happening and I doubt any of the major studios will think that a old school play style could still be a "Hit Game" in today's market.

The FreeSpace series is having similar issues.  People want a third FreeSpace game since the last one was back in 1999 and left a lot of loose ends in the plot.  Interplay owns the publishing rights, but Volition owns the development rights.  THQ, the people who own Volition, won't shell out the bucks necessary for the publishing rights unless they're certain it will make them piles of money.  Considering the games are fighter sims and therefore have a ton of controls, plus gameplay that requires skill such as dodging enemy fire in order to win, THQ isn't shelling out the money any time soon.

February 19, 2011 2:41:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We shouldn't be laughing though, because the sad fact of the matter is it's too true.

Wrong.  Serious Sam is clearly the counter point to your point... um.... i mean...

February 22, 2011 5:20:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RavenX,
That's why most "strategy games" today are RTS games and not TBS games, because the "instant gratification generation" doesn't want slow, boring, turn based game-play that requires real thought about where you'll move you're next unit or what kind of attack they'll use. They want to point, click, and win...period.

That describes Starcraft to an amazing degree, which is why it saddens me so much when it gets paraded as an example of a 'deep' and 'complex', 'classic' game merely by virtue of selling a lot of copies.

Still, if you want to see an exception to that rule of real-time games I'll recommend today's daily offer: Men of War, second hardest game I've ever played in my life, surpassed only by Paradox' Achtung Panzer. So much time playing it and I've only beaten two missions, one of which I'm pretty sure was intended as the 'tutorial' and the other required stupid amounts of sheer luck, as evidenced by my posterior attempts at replicating my former victory.

Quoting RavenX,

That's exactly what's been happening in the mainstream RTS arena, and it blows. Starcraft II is Starcraft in prettied-up clothing, which in turn was little but a space mod on Warcraft II, a barely-altered sequel to the first Warcraft, which was a 'me too' to the original Command & Conquer, itself a copycat of the genre's originator, Dune II. I mean, freakin' Windows has changed more in the intervening years than the RTS genre's core titles, and given Microsoft's glacial development pace that's no small feat.

No, what we need are devs unapologetic about making games that require you to learn real-world skills to have a chance at it. One of my proudest moment in gaming was when I played Rome: Total War right after reading a biography of Napoleon, tried a tactic in-game similar to one described in the book, and it worked. Of course, the Total War games aren't that hard to begin with (mostly due to poor AI), but it was a nice moment. Had I tried it on a mainstream RTS however, I would've been crushed quickly and decisively by my opponent's fast clicking and his soldiers' unwavering determination in the face of overwhelming odds.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: