The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

PC game with co-op campaign?

By on January 22, 2011 12:16:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mentalinstra

Join Date 07/2010
+3

Would especially love to see this in RTS games. To be honest the only RTS I've played multiplayer are Starcraft 1/2 and Warcraft 2/3. Anyone know of of some games with a co-op campaign or at least good co-op missions that have more to them than just blowing up the other guys? I can't think of any...

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 22, 2011 12:39:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think ground control 2 had its entire single player campaign available for coop.

I also think dawn of war 2 had coop for 2 players in its campaign mode, although I am not 100% sure.

January 22, 2011 2:37:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To be honest, I've never seen RTS co-op campaigns done well.  They're usually just glorified comp-stomps that aren't much more detailed than what you'd get out of a regular skirmish with a little imagination.  Your best bet would probably to look at unofficial fan creations for Starcraft and Warcraft III, which often surpass the qualify of professional products out there.

January 22, 2011 2:38:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

lets see:

dawn of war 2 was focused on coop campaigns

napoleon total war has an awesome coop campaign

best i have ever seen and certainly not a comp stomp as your mate has the option of playing for the enemy AI in battles.

January 22, 2011 2:52:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Destraex,
lets see:

dawn of war 2 was focused on coop campaigns

napoleon total war has an awesome coop campaign

Yep, Dawn of War 2 is the only one I have encountered.

January 22, 2011 2:58:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A co-op campaign for a future Elemental release would be a cool idea if possible, and done well, could really make Elemental stand out, especially since the game Elemental is much more suited to co-op multiplayer than PvP!   What do others think?

Best regards,
Steven.

January 22, 2011 3:12:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
A co-op campaign for a future Elemental release would be a cool idea if possible, and done well, could really make Elemental stand out, especially since the game Elemental is much more suited to co-op multiplayer than PvP!   What do others think?

Best regards,
Steven.

Good multiplayer in general would be a start...

January 22, 2011 3:15:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Multiplayer has been so far down on the list for Elemental, I dare not even ask about the "expansions".

January 22, 2011 3:18:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mentalinstra,

Good multiplayer in general would be a start...

Yes definitely!   But I think some good built-in co-op campaigns, and the ability for players to create their own, could be unique and a way to stand out, and a more "singleplayer" focus than traditional PvP.   Read: IMHO more likely than a big focus on competitive multiplayer.

Best regards,
Steven.

January 22, 2011 3:40:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Elemental needs to work on its foundation, not its penthouse suite.  Right now, it's an utterly generic tile-based TBS with bland game mechanics.  This needs to be the focus of attention, and then you can work up through its haphazard managerie of content, and only then graduate to grander things like co-op campaigns.

As it stands, competitive multiplayer is out of the question entirely.  You'd have to completely rework a lot of the game mechanics for it to even be worth consideration.  If you're looking for serious meta-gaming the game devolves into first-strike and scorched-earth gambits.

January 22, 2011 3:53:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good points.   If and when the game is ready, co-op multiplayer could be really cool, but I agree, it's not worth focussing on for a while yet.

Best regards,
Steven.

January 22, 2011 10:52:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

AFAIK Red Alert 3 does have a coop campaign.

January 22, 2011 1:05:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, but that requires playing Red Alert 3.

January 22, 2011 2:15:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And dealing with some pretty gnarly DRM.

January 22, 2011 3:23:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edit:

My bad. Didn't realize this was a call for RTS'es.

---

It's not a co-op campaign, but Company of Heroes Co-Op skirmishes against AI are amazing.

January 22, 2011 6:21:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Red Alert 3 was really fun in coop. For me co-op is about coordinating with a partner and reducing the complexity of something by concentrating on a smaller number of variables - thats fun for me.

Just dosn't seem to be anyone that makes RTS or strat in general that is coop. We prefer stories of some kind also rather than just skirmish maps.

January 22, 2011 8:02:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RTS and TBS have tended to ignore the co-op outside of skirmish modes for the most part. Similar to the way FPS used to ignore it other than death matches.

I will say when making a campaign mode(be it a mod or a released title) its far easier when you can ignore the co-op aspect. Not that it can't be done... but in general I think designers view the campaign as a persons introduction to the game for those particular genres.. with sandbox/skirmish/deathmatch being the "meat" of the game so to speak.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: