The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Convince me not to buy an Alienware Aurora

By on October 19, 2010 4:14:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mentalinstra

Join Date 07/2010
+3

I've wanted an Alienware for quite a while but I imagine there are probably better or more affordable custom options out there. What are the good sites for gaming rigs these days? Looking for something right around $1500.00 doesn't have to be TOP of the line obviously, but want dual video cards and liquid cooled. Advice?

Locked Post 36 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 19, 2010 4:50:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Going online for Dell's shop, you're spending $1300 (for default build, no tax or shipping) for a 2.8 GHz quad core, a 500 GB hard drive, 3 GB of memory, and an two oldish video cards in a crossfire, that I doubt are better (or only slightly better) than an ATI 5850, yet you can add a second 5850 in later on when you actually find a lot of games that need it.

Go on newegg.com, buy the parts yourself, and build it.

$1300 should easily get you 6 GB of nice RAM, a 5850, 2x 1 TB harddrives that you can put into a RAID 0, and a good Intel Quadcore (assuming you want Intel), plus a good powersupply you can use in future builds, and get a solid Steel case to boot. If you get a lot of stuff on sale, you might get lucky enough to cram in a SSD into your budget too, which will offer massive speed benefits.

Drop the liquid cooling, get the Cooler Master 212 + Artic Silver 5. It's just as cool as liquid cooling as far as your CPU is concerned, while much easier to install and less prone to damage. Liquid cooling is only really better if you want to massively overclock your CPU (unlikely if you aren't considering on building it yourself from your OP), or if you liquid cool your video card(s) as well, at the very least. RAM or hard drives too, if you want. And 5670s do not need to be liquid cooled.

October 19, 2010 4:57:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

People still actually buy Alienware? Hasn't it been pretty much proven that you pay extra for the logo and that's about it?

Yeah, go to New Egg. You could easily save yourself $200 to $300 building it yourself.

October 19, 2010 5:06:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just built a solid pc from scratch for my in laws - evga x58 sli3 mobo (w usb 3 - why not), i7 920, 4 gig ram, 1 tb hd, cheap pci express card, 600 watt ps, thermal takev4, dvdr/w.  And that was bought at a store (microcenter), including tax, for $620.  If you just tacked on a good video card, add $300 (and subtract $20 for the low end video card I bought them) and your total is $900 for a gaming rig that can play pretty much anything out there. 

Of course, then you still have to pick up an os, to be fair, so depending on your options, you can get win7 for $30-$100.  Total price for a decent gaming rig - $930-$1000. 

Drop the liquid cooling, get the Cooler Master 212 + Artic Silver 5.

Agreed - you can get that for like $25 on amazon now with free shipping. 

And honestly, I tend to think dual video cards are a bit of a waste - eg price is not worth the performance.  I'm hitting at least 60fps on 1 single 5850 with anything I can throw at it. 

If you really want to be thrifty and actually want to build one yourself, then I'd suggest checking out www.slickdeals.net.  They have a thread that regularly updates current pc parts and finds the best deals going on.  I think I got my previous cpu (i920) for $100 back when the best online price was $200.

October 19, 2010 5:38:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I was going to buy a new computer today, it would be a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with a core i5-760, 8 gig ram and Ati Radeon HD 5770. I don't see the point of getting something fancier than that.

October 19, 2010 5:42:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You don't even really need that much RAM for general gaming. Although I'd quibble with your choice of manufacturer I want Dell out of the business in a bad way.

October 19, 2010 5:50:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't. They're one of the few companies that is keeping me from permanentally installing, assembling and ordering computers for friends, coworkers, relatives, pets, relatives pets and so on.

There's a perfectly viable market for those of us who don't want pre-assembled garbage, but I'm still glad companies like Dell exist.

October 19, 2010 6:06:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just hate their business practices from top to bottom, and my experience with their hardware and devices is that they're cheap and have a very short lifespan, possibly intentionally. I like to believe that, in the free market system, if you run a business terribly and produce a crappy product, you fold. Dell constantly refutes that, and has survived some stuff that most companies would not have. So I kind of have to believe they have a pact with Satan. It's what helps me sleep at night.

October 19, 2010 6:16:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

if you run a business terribly and produce a crappy product

The business is not run terribly, it is run perfectly.

October 19, 2010 6:40:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's run better than HP, I'll give them that.

October 19, 2010 6:40:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My old Dimension 800 still runs, although it did become a Linux box. My XPS from 2003 also still runs with Linux on it. My last machine was assembled locally because at the time it was cheaper and I was able to get closer to my ideal spec but right now the difference between a locally bought machine and a comparable dell is negligible. So if I bought a machine today I'd go with a Dell but that might change again if the price of components here in Canada drops or Dell no longer offers the components I want in my computer.

At work we have used IBMs/Lenovos and Dells along with local suppliers. Dell has been consistently the most reliable. Recently, HP won the supply contract. We'll know in 3-4 years whether they are better than Dells. We only recently stopped using Precision 360s in our labs and I am currently using a Precision 370 in the office. So I'd say my experience with Dells has been quite different from Nenjin's

October 19, 2010 6:54:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My Dell experience has also been excellent.  I've bought 2 machines from them in the last 10 years and each have gone for 5+ years with no issues.  Of course I added memory and cards here and there, but other than a too low power supply in one box, I had no issues with the systems.

also use them exclusively at work, and again, zero problems in 7+ years, and some of those machines running instruments are literally on 24/7 for years.

October 19, 2010 6:56:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Buy an Alienware.  You are clearly a person who cares about namebrand recognition.  Building your own pc can be satisfying and give you better goods at a cheaper price, but it just doesn't have that "LOOK @ ME I HAVE _____ SUPER AWESOME BRAND" written all over it.  

October 19, 2010 7:01:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I built my i7 860 from parts puchased at microcenter.com. I spent around 900 total too to build an awesome gaming rig.

Also, I don't see any reason for the dual gpu's based on the research I did as one higher end card will generally get you almost as good of results. Buy the best card you can afford and then think about multiple gpu's down the road. Chances are you'll need the next high end card before you'll need the multiple IMO.

Not sure on the water cooled. I didn't see enough evidence to say it was better than air cooled. I purchased the Cooler Master HAF case which has plenty of air flow, plus I added extra fans in addition to the cpu air cooler, so far no complaints.

I say build your own unless you just like the way the Alienware cases look. I'll admit I like the look of their boxes!

October 19, 2010 8:12:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting 4Nana,
Buy an Alienware.  You are clearly a person who cares about namebrand recognition.  Building your own pc can be satisfying and give you better goods at a cheaper price, but it just doesn't have that "LOOK @ ME I HAVE _____ SUPER AWESOME BRAND" written all over it.  

The title of the post is "Convince me NOT to buy an Alienware" The whole point of this thread is that there are better deals to be had. Everyone else, thanks for the input. My Dell experience has also been awesome, and I'm sure Alienware would live up to that but I'm also considering my options. Name brand is not a priority, that's why I'm here talking to you fine people about it.

God, cant even ask for advice without being troll'd.

October 19, 2010 8:17:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The internet makes me sad because people can say shit without the fear of getting punched.  Everyone should always be in fear of pissing someone off to the point of getting clocked up side the head, that's the foundation of a civil society, checks and balances.  Also, buy whatever you want.  If I had the money, I would consider Alienware. 

October 19, 2010 8:33:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From advice I have read of threads like this one elsewhere, it would seem that if you do not what to build your own then the next best option (in terms of what you get for your money) is to go with a brand of intermediate size (not one of the really big ones like Dell and HP, but not obscure either). My personal preference is Micro Express, but I have only looked at their laptops (and the cheapest gaming setup for those last time I looked was above the price you list).

October 19, 2010 9:45:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

I've wanted an Alienware for quite a while but I imagine there are probably better or more affordable custom options out there. What are the good sites for gaming rigs these days? Looking for something right around $1500.00 doesn't have to be TOP of the line obviously, but want dual video cards and liquid cooled. Advice?

Well, due to the title of your post, I will convince you to NOT buy an Alienware...

First of all, Alienware is #3... http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/

Second, custom built will ALWAYS be cheaper and more stable (if you know what you are doing)

Third and fourth - No and No!

Dual video is tempting, but only if you plan on using 2+ monitors.  You will get better efficeincy out of a single good card.  Get a mobo that will support dual for expansion purposes, but there is no need to get one right now with the options.

And Liquid cooling is nice if you are good at maintenance and need it to be quiet.  If your going to liquid cool, liquid cool EVERYTHING!  The Processor, the North/South Bridges, the Ram, the GPU and the PSU if possible.  You will have a quite machine (one fan) and be efficient with power.

typing this out on a machine that was built for ~2300 dollars - and is the equivalent of a $4500 machine.

October 19, 2010 10:03:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to add to the "no"s on dual gfx card and liquid cooling as well. These are nothing but fluff that costs tons of money.

Liquid cooling is only good for being quiet, but there are some very decent alternative that are much cheaper.

The whole dual gfx card is a hoax. This was originally conceived because they thought gfx cards were capping out on their capabilities, and thus to improve it you would need to put several together (like the CPU). But lets look at the facts, gfx cards are still developing, and if you go with 2, it just means you'll have 2 to upgrade later down the line. Their only use now is if you run massive screens or multiple monitors (and use massive resolutions).

October 20, 2010 1:00:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
The internet makes me sad because people can say shit without the fear of getting punched.  Everyone should always be in fear of pissing someone off to the point of getting clocked up side the head, that's the foundation of a civil society, checks and balances.  Also, buy whatever you want.  If I had the money, I would consider Alienware. 

I would say it face to face anyway... nothing wrong with saying he obviously wants alienware brand.  You don't call up someone saying "convince me not to kill myself" if you weren't wanting to kill yourself.  I'm just giving him a helpful push in the right direction for his selection.  

October 20, 2010 2:03:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

4Nana you are taking things entirely too seriously here. I'm only trying to make conversation about my options for a new computer.

October 20, 2010 2:17:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mentalinstra,
4Nana you are taking things entirely too seriously here. I'm only trying to make conversation about my options for a new computer.

No he's not actually.  He's taking what your post title is...

Convince me not to buy an Alienware Aurora

...at face value.  Not only did you mention a brand-name you also mentioned a model.  I would also have come to the conclusion that you were not only leaning toward Alienware but also torward a specific model.  The above post title belies your current statement of just "trying to make conversation about my options for a new computer."

....just saying it sounds like the pot trying to call the kettle black now is all.  

the Monk

EDIT:

Besides.....where do you get off asking others to convice you *not* to do something?  Seriously, many of us come here (offering up our personal time) to give advice not to play into some childish bullshit stunt like "convincing someone to change their mind".  You've obviously done enough research on the subject to know that you wouldn't mind having an alienware aurora so why should we try to convice you otherwise?  For sport?  Frankly I don't care what the hell you buy.....just stop playing the victim to your own troll-post.

October 20, 2010 2:28:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol Where do i get off? Childish bullshit? I just made a post man, I'm not demanding things of people... Ok, never mind I'll go somewhere else. Sorry to offend you guys, most people seemed to have some constructive advice for me and I appreciate it.

P.S. The title of this post is honestly not meant to be taken all that seriously. I understand its just a brand name and that there are many other better options out there. In fact, that's EXACTLY why I posted this. You guys are missing the point.

October 20, 2010 2:37:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There will be all sorts of opinions from all sorts of people on any forums.  Try not to take it too seriously, and bear in mind you did get a lot of useful feedback.   I hope you will come back at some stage.

Best regards,
Steven.

October 20, 2010 2:39:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Double post.

October 20, 2010 4:03:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nenjin,
I just hate their business practices from top to bottom, and my experience with their hardware and devices is that they're cheap and have a very short lifespan, possibly intentionally. I like to believe that, in the free market system, if you run a business terribly and produce a crappy product, you fold. Dell constantly refutes that, and has survived some stuff that most companies would not have. So I kind of have to believe they have a pact with Satan. It's what helps me sleep at night.

I have owned two desktops and a laptop from Dell, and it has been flawless. No problems at all. My Compaq on the other hand was a useless piece of junk that had issues from the start (software and hardware). Its a small sample, but my next laptop will also be a Dell (its not really mine as its paid by my workplace).

I would also recommend IBM laptops as very well built (from own experience and from my workplace).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: