The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

This is *NOT* a "collapse!"

Quit referring to it as such!

By on April 13, 2010 11:43:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does this really look like a "collapse" to you?  The buildings simply disintegrated into fine dust from the top down.  We are talking the mid-air pulverization of thousands of tons of concrete (each floor slab several feet thick, approximately 110 stories/floors).  Do you see those massive dust clouds?  That's concrete dust!  All that shit that blew all over Manhattan and all the way to New Jersey, covering streets and cars several inches thick?  That's concrete dust!  Apparently, the amount of macroscopic concrete at the site that you could pick up and hold in your hand was negligible.  What would cause thousands of tons of concrete to just jump up into the air and pulverize itself into fine dust?

Also, notice that many of the photos of the buildings disintegrating exhibit a "banana being peeled" type of effect, like peeling a banana from the top down.  There are other photos that show the effect much better than these, but you can definitely see it here.  What would cause this?

Notice the "cauliflower" shape of the dust clouds in the last photo.  What would cause this?  Is there any other phenomenon that you are familiar with that would produce this effect?

Question:  If a tree converted itself into sawdust from the top down, would you say that the tree "collapsed?"  If not, then why are buildings which disintegrate into dust from the top down described as a "collapse?"  What part of "this is not a collapse" don't you understand?

+31 Karma | 126 Replies
April 13, 2010 12:28:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

*About to be flamed for following question*

I don't recognize these pictures.  What are they(Wanna say trade center pics but I don't recognize these angles)

Not commenting on OP till I Know what these are.

-Twilight Storm

April 13, 2010 12:51:12 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Karma, get real.  We've seen enough of this goofy stuff already.

April 13, 2010 1:08:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you aren't interested why waste your time?

-Twilight Storm

April 13, 2010 1:09:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
April 13, 2010 4:49:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yah read Daiwa's link, and also take some structural engineering classes.  Kthxbye

April 13, 2010 4:59:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, people still deny man on the moon, and the earth is round.  So of course there are going to be some truthers out there.

April 13, 2010 5:29:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I wouldn't really call the WTC debacle a simple "collapse" either, just because there's enough flammable, explosive, and badly-engineered stuff in a building that size to do some weird things when a giant plane or two hits and sets fire to it. But the point is they fell down because jet airliners ran into them. They might not have if they had been built better, but I will refrain from speculating as to the exact nature of the destruction until I have quite a few more years of engineering study under my belt.

The big problem I see with the WTC conspiracy theories is that while we can debate Bush's intentions backwards and forwards and get nowhere, that administration was indisputably and incredibly leak-prone: if the government had had anything approaching a knowing, active role in the WTC operation, knowledge of it would have gotten out years ago.

April 13, 2010 5:51:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gravity is a bitch.

April 13, 2010 6:20:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fact is the WTC is the only skyscraper in history to be demolished like this, so short of crashing a jet into another skyscraper to see if the same thing happens, there's really no basis to say it's atypical.  The disaster has been so heavily studied by structural engineers that if there were serious discrepencies with the models there would be more serious discussion by now.

Don't rely on so-called "common sense" or apply overbroad analogies.  A tree is not an analog for a skyscraper, since a tree is mostly solid whereas a skyscraper is actually mostly empty space held up by relatively tiny support beams.  And that's before considering how far apart they are in size and mass. 

April 13, 2010 8:11:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't recognize these pictures. What are they(Wanna say trade center pics but I don't recognize these angles)

Trade Center pics.

Karma, get real. We've seen enough of this goofy stuff already.

Where?  Here on the forums?  If I knew that, I wouldn't have posted, but I haven't seen anything.

Link

LOL.  The infamous Popular Mechanics article debunked nothing, and in fact has itself been debunked.  Why don't you try to think critically and for yourself instead of relying on what Popular Mechanics or anyone else says?  I can post dozens of links too, from top Ph.D. scientists, and teams of them, supporting my claim - stuff which has been peer-reviewed and published.  But I won't do that - I'd rather people just think for themselves, if that's possible.

Yah read Daiwa's link, and also take some structural engineering classes.

Ah, I not only took structural engineering classes, I worked within the structural engineering group of a defense contractor for years.  Actually, we blast tested building designs, came up with new designs, blast tested those, etc.  Quite ironically and unbelievably, this same defense contractor was hired by... geez, it was either NIST or FEMA I belive... to investigate the cause of the "collapse" (cough) of building 7.

I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different.  But instead of throwing quips out there like "read this Popular Mechanics article" or "take some structural engineering classes," why don't you explain how thousands of tons of concrete just jumps up into the air and explodes into dust?  In other words, why don't you actually address the points being made?

Gravity is a bitch.

Anyone who thinks that there was enough gravitational potential energy in those buildings to do THAT is a moron.  In fact, no one believes that.  I have never seen a claim that gravity pulverized all that concrete.  Instead, this fact just seems to be ignored by mainstream media, governmental investigations, etc.

The amount of potential energy in those buildings has already been calculated.  The amount needed to pulverize that much concrete into dust has also been calculated.  You lack the energy needed by many orders of magnitude.

EDIT:  It's worse than that.  The concrete turns into dust from the very second of "collapse."  In other words, as the first floor goes, that concrete turns to dust.  As the second floor goes, that concrete turns to dust... all the way down.  Where is the gravitational potential energy coming from to turn the TOP floors into dust?  Did you look at the photos?  Don't you see a tower standing, with the top engulfed in concrete dust?

Fact is the WTC is the only skyscraper in history to be demolished like this, so short of crashing a jet into another skyscraper to see if the same thing happens, there's really no basis to say it's atypical.

Yes there is.  You don't need to crash a jet into a skyscraper to understand that hundreds of thousands of tons of concrete don't suddenly pulverize into dust without a mechanism for it.  You don't need to crash that jet to understand that jet fuel (kerosene) fires do not melt steel.  You don't need to crash that jet to understand that the top 30-something floors of those buildings cannot fall through the rest of the buildings, at free fall acceleration, taking the path of most resistance... ESPECIALLY considering that those floors had already disintegrated into dust anyway.

And last but not least, you have forgotten about building 7.  It was never hit by an airplane.  Yet it "collapsed" (cough) too (yes, a 3rd skyscraper was destroyed that day).  Do we need to crash a jet into another skyscraper to explain how a building that WASN'T hit by a jet was destroyed?

The disaster has been so heavily studied by structural engineers that if there were serious discrepencies with the models there would be more serious discussion by now.

LOL.

A tree is not an analog for a skyscraper, since a tree is mostly solid whereas a skyscraper is actually mostly empty space held up by relatively tiny support beams. And that's before considering how far apart they are in size and mass.

You misunderstand.  I'm not saying a tree is a skyscraper.  I'm simply suggesting that if a tree turned itself into sawdust from the top down, no one would call it a "collapse."  They'd call it something else, i.e. "weird, top-down disintegration" or whatever.

My apologies, that website seems to be removing the pictures.  I'll try to rehost elsewhere, but I bet the same thing will keep happening.

April 13, 2010 8:42:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I can post dozens of links too, from top Ph.D. scientists, and teams of them, supporting my claim - stuff which has been peer-reviewed and published. But I won't do that - I'd rather people just think for themselves, if that's possible.
Don't be absurd..... asking people to think is an excellent way to get nothing done, and extremely slowly at that. By all means, post any evidence you have. I for one want to see anything you've got.... I'd try and analyze the collapse myself, but as I said before it'll be a few years yet before I am able start taking even basic engineering classes.

EDIT: Now why on EARTH would the forum change the latter half of my FONT!?!?

EDIT 2: And it does it AGAIN!?

April 13, 2010 8:52:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why should I care if these weren't collapses? Whether they were or not, America is in economic recession, is fighting a "pointless" war (DRILL, BABY, DRILL!), the government never tells us all of the information, the media hyperbolizes and often lies outright, and Congress is unwilling to actually declare war because their panties are up their asses and Republicans & Democrats are shit-flinging to convince common people to cooperate and shut up. So tell me why should we care that these buildings *collapsed* and killed a little more than 1000 americans in a day, when untill the recent Health Bill (which previously mentioned bastards are trying to declare unconstitutional so they can save money by letting people die if they are sick before purchase of insurance) 47000 died each year for lack of health insurance. This conspiracy is so insignificant in the face of REAL lies and problems that I can't understand why people still believe in this.

April 13, 2010 9:06:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the buildings fell and killed people to me thats all that matters to me (sorry if that sounded weird) i a native siberian understands that to most Americans the important thing is that the people who died need to be remembered and we need to move on but its hard with people like you bringing up these conspiracy theries that i doubt any one here really believes in this is a gaming forum for a game and yah i guess the GD is for any thing really but this is not the place for this discussion(sorry if any of that sounded offensive it wasn't ment to be)

April 13, 2010 9:12:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The infamous Popular Mechanics article debunked nothing, and in fact has itself been debunked.  Why don't you try to think critically and for yourself instead of relying on what Popular Mechanics or anyone else says?

And just who is debunking it and what methods are they using?  Why don't you think critically rather than believing everything you read on the internet without considering who is saying it and what qualifies them to say it. Anyone is capable of spewing pseudo-science claims, but that does not mean they have a good claim.

If there wasn't a solid mainstream model for what happened to the WTC it would be easier to understand where you're coming from, but the fact is that there is a solid model, so you have to give a strong arguement as to why that model is invalid before I'll even consider your fringe theory.  A few anecdotes and non-sequiturs does not satisfy.

I can post dozens of links too, from top Ph.D. scientists, and teams of them, supporting my claim - stuff which has been peer-reviewed and published

Really, because my understanding was the opposite, that there isn't any credible academic source out there for these theories.  Please, do find those articles.

Anyone who thinks that there was enough gravitational potential energy in those buildings to do THAT is a moron.  In fact, no one believes that.

Now you're just throwing out insults and saying "nuh uh".  Of course gravity wasn't the only force at work in that complex system, but it was certainly one of the principle ones. If you want to argue otherwise, it's up to you to make the case.

You don't need to crash a jet into a skyscraper to understand that hundreds of thousands of tons of concrete doesn't suddenly pulverize itself into dust without a mechanism for it.

Models and predictions are entirely based on real-world observation.  All scientific theories and principles follow from those observations.  Models and predictions are often incomplete when applied to unlike scenarios.  For very large and complicated systems without any appropriate scale analogies, it's very difficult (some might go so far as to say speculative) to create an accurate model, and it's really not proven until you witness an event that confirms it.

So yes, you do need data to come up with accurate models for the collapse, and the only way to get that data would be to crash another similar jet into another similar skyscraper.  Since that's not happening, the best we have are simplified models, and there is sufficient evidence for models that support the conventional theory.

You don't need to crash that jet to understand that jet fuel (kerosene) fires does not melt steel

As has already been stated in those articles, no one is claiming that the steel melted, only that the heat weakened it to the point at which it warped and bent.  The heat present was more than sufficient to make the steel lose 90% of its strength, which was more than sufficient to bring down the building.

You don't need to crash that jet to understand that the top 30-something floors of those buildings cannot fall through the rest of the buildings, at free fall acceleration, taking the path of most resistance... ESPECIALLY considering that those floors had already disintegrated into dust anyway.

Why not?  Do you claim some omniscient knowledge of the workings of the universe?  Experimentation and the modeling and theory that results is the only way to determine what is actually possible.  You're just outright saying that it isn't possible with only a few anecdotes to support your belief, which isn't convincing in the least.

And last but not least, you have forgotten about building 7.  It was never hit by an airplane.  Yet it "collapsed" too (yes, a 3rd skyscraper was destroyed that day).  Do we need to crash a jet into another skyscraper to explain how a building that WASN'T hit by a jet was destroyed?

Desbris.

LOL.

If you're just going to laugh at me I have no reason to take you seriously at all.

April 13, 2010 9:21:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jesus christ. I knew Agent of Kharma had screws loose from reading some of his earlier posts, but this takes it to a whole other level.

Btw, welcome to 2004 you useless cretin. Everything you have made mention of is un-parsed regurgitation of conspiracy theory websites that have been repeatedly refuted since over the last 6 years. so not only are you woefully late to the party, but you’re fooled by information that has been shown to be false, over and over again.

Idiot.

April 13, 2010 9:27:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the government never tells us all of the information, the media hyperbolizes and often lies outright, and Congress is unwilling to actually declare war because their panties are up their asses and Republicans & Democrats are shit-flinging to convince common people to cooperate and shut up.

Sooo, where do you get your info about the healthcare bill?

April 13, 2010 9:34:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

oh for the love of... hth dose a health care bill(which i love since it helps me and my crippled self) have to do with buildings falling NOTHING so stay on buildings

April 13, 2010 9:36:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm sorry, what? First, what you quoted mentions nothing of the health care bill's content or meaning. In fact, none of my post mentioned it. I'm not even argueing about the bill, just pointing out that the idiots who are trying to keep their power don't want anything accomplished regarding it. The statistic I used was from Sicko (I can hear haters quaking in their boots that I mentioned a Michael Moore film ). Second, my point was to show that there is no purpose to discuss or support this conspiracy theory because there is so many more critical things to worry about. Third, even if it was pre-planted government explosives, so what? What are you going to do next, eh? Shit bricks, give you money, what?

EDIT: sorry skidi, my post was for those above you.

April 13, 2010 9:38:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Agent of Kharma,

Why don't you try to think critically and for yourself instead of relying on what Popular Mechanics or anyone else says?

oh look, someone else who falls into one of my favourite categories. you guys are so predictable and repetitious!

Wikipedia: conspiracy theory guide

Appeals to 'common sense';
Common sense steps substitute for the more robust, academically respectable methodologies available for investigating sociological and scientific phenomena.

more wonderful characteristics can be found here:

http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html

Quoting Agent of Kharma,

I can post dozens of links too, from top Ph.D. scientists, and teams of them, supporting my claim - stuff which has been peer-reviewed and published.  But I won't do that - I'd rather people just think for themselves, if that's possible.

hilarious. steven jones et al are morons, had to create their own fake journal in order to get their nonsense published, and enjoy exactly zero credibility from anyone other than internet warriors like you. FYI, jones is a chemist, thoroughly unqualified to examine the collapses, but you should check out his study on jesus visiting native america as well as his work on cold fusion, hahaha.

April 13, 2010 9:38:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

forum burp.

April 13, 2010 9:39:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

agreed

April 13, 2010 9:41:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, what you quoted mentions nothing of the health care bill's content or meaning. In fact, none of my post mentioned it. I'm not even argueing about the bill, just pointing out that the idiots who are trying to keep their power don't want anything accomplished regarding it. The statistic I used was from Sicko

Yep, I was talking about the statistic

I honestly don't want to talk about teh healthcare bill cause its a big pile of BS right now from all sides and parties

April 13, 2010 9:44:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Actually, I've noticed that the OP never mentions anything about government involvement in the incident one way or another..... this could be as innocent as a claim that the incident caused by the plane crash was not technically classifiable as a collapse (unlikely)...... or he could be convinced that the Illuminati have planned the whole thing since 1403 as a prelude to alien invasion and the Second Coming (also unlikely). He could be a structural-engineer cum nitpicker, or an escapee from the local max-security psychiatric hospital, or anything in between. The point is we don't really know, and until he tells us I think we should refrain from speculating (my above comment on leaky administrations was more directed at the repliers, not Agent)

April 13, 2010 9:48:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Scoutdog,
Actually, I've noticed that the OP never mentions anything about government involvement in the incident one way or another..... this could be as innocent as a claim that the incident caused by the plane crash was not technically classifiable as a collapse (unlikely)...... or he could be convinced that the Illuminati have planned the whole thing since 1403 as a prelude to alien invasion and the Second Coming (also unlikely). He could be a structural-engineer cum nitpicker, or an escapee from the local max-security psychiatric hospital, or anything in between. The point is we don't really know, and until he tells us I think we should refrain from speculating (my above comment on leaky administrations was more directed at the repliers, not Agent)

its called being dishonest/cowardly. we all know where he's going with this. ive seen it dozens and dozens of times from truthers who claim to be "just asking questions", lol.

April 13, 2010 10:01:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sorry, I stereotyped the OP's purpose. The original conspiracy theory was intended to piss off enough people by making 9/11 look like an inside job so Bush would get impeached. It failed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.