The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[MOD] Ultimate Gap Warp Defense

for Crucible

By on December 21, 2009 6:56:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

Spooky__

Join Date 10/2008
+74

This mod adds plenty of towers and walls around the portal and portal flag on Crucible, which makes gap warping to the enemy portal rather dangerous of course. I made this mod for fun after a rant from Spongematt.

Download

Installation: as with any other mod, simply extract to \Demigod\bindata\mods

Locked Post 27 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 21, 2009 7:07:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol!

December 21, 2009 7:10:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw. a Level 20 Erebus with some health and/or armor stacking can still easily warp in and survive long enough to capture it

December 21, 2009 7:13:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A level 20 Erebus can take the tower out of the ground, walk around to the nearest Rook, and violate his nether regions with it.

December 21, 2009 7:18:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting The_Regicide,
A level 20 Erebus can take the tower out of the ground, walk around to the nearest Rook, and violate his nether regions with it.
lmfao

December 21, 2009 7:19:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting The_Regicide,
Hehe indeed

December 21, 2009 7:20:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I reccomend this mod together with my The Quite Insane Mod, Just so you can get to lv50 an ruin all the work Spooky did

Seriously though this is nice, would you perhaps consider doing some more heavy map-modding?

I was thinking one could quite easily create new 3v3 maps simply by limiting the really big maps to smaller areas.

For example. Place a big wall straight across Mandala. Dividing it into just half the map would make for a really nice 3v3 map imo.

EDIT:I should actually be able to do that myself now that I look at your files how to edit.

December 21, 2009 7:42:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, modding the existing maps is quite "easy". "easy" as in: you just need to mod one file. However, editing this file and placing all that stuff by hand with a text editor is rather painful. In this example I built up the structures on one side, then copied the whole thing and exchanged the x and z values with a regular expression in one pass for example (had to manually add 1 unit to x and substract 1 unit from z though). This only worked on Crucible though.

I don't take credit for being the first to make a map mod, DonDoen created one for Cataract already .

December 22, 2009 12:01:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
Yes, modding the existing maps is quite "easy". "easy" as in: you just need to mod one file. However, editing this file and placing all that stuff by hand with a text editor is rather painful. In this example I built up the structures on one side, then copied the whole thing and exchanged the x and z values with a regular expression in one pass for example (had to manually add 1 unit to x and substract 1 unit from z though). This only worked on Crucible though.

I don't take credit for being the first to make a map mod, DonDoen created one for Cataract already .

still, nice to see someone able to turn out a quick mod.  I figured it was going to be obnoxious regarding plotting the location of towers.  About how long did this one take you, spooky?

December 22, 2009 12:26:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like where this discussion ended up. Good work spooky.  

However, I feel that the issue still is too loaded. Even with intense defenses set up and modded, Crucible-goers will still be wary of playing with an Erebus. Which still leaves us with ONE FEWER MAPS. This is the real issue at hand. That there are woefully too few maps that are balanced and playable. The only way to free Crucible from the nether world of maps is too nerf gap-jumping.

December 22, 2009 5:42:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About how long did this one take you, spooky?
Almost exactly 3 hours .

December 22, 2009 6:50:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting The_Regicide, reply 3A level 20 Erebus can take the tower out of the ground, walk around to the nearest Rook, and violate his nether regions with it.Hehe indeed
Quoting Sevenix,
I reccomend this mod together with my The Quite Insane Mod, Just so you can get to lv50 an ruin all the work Spooky did.

Level 50 any demigod fears no tower.

December 22, 2009 6:53:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice, would like to see someone making Mandala or The Brothers into a 3v3 map now

December 22, 2009 7:51:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,
Nice, would like to see someone making Mandala or The Brothers into a 3v3 map now
Well, you can't block Warps with walls. So even if you had a giant wall somewhere in the middle of Mandala, you would still be able to reach the other side. But you could at least remove all the flags and portal and towers on one side for instance.

December 22, 2009 9:03:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting Esuzu, reply 12Nice, would like to see someone making Mandala or The Brothers into a 3v3 map now Well, you can't block Warps with walls. So even if you had a giant wall somewhere in the middle of Mandala, you would still be able to reach the other side. But you could at least remove all the flags and portal and towers on one side for instance.

There would certainly have to be a few "gentlemen" rules for such a map yeah, but I belive most would be fine with that if they bothered to download the mod anyway.

And I havnt looked over the file that much yet, but Im quite sure the Voids need to be set in the same file, if so it should be quite easy to just make one of the map sides total void, and keeping a wall there to mark it.

December 22, 2009 9:22:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,

Quoting Esuzu, reply 12Nice, would like to see someone making Mandala or The Brothers into a 3v3 map now Well, you can't block Warps with walls. So even if you had a giant wall somewhere in the middle of Mandala, you would still be able to reach the other side. But you could at least remove all the flags and portal and towers on one side for instance.

Yea, I was thinking of that first aswell, the wall that is. But it obviously isn't a good idea. Just removing towers/portal on one side would make it so empty there... Honestly I think Mandala is hard to remake. Brothers is probably easier since it isn't as big... or maybe I dunno.

I was bored and played around very quickly, and come up with this:

(this probably sucks though but something like it maybe?)

I changed and removed portals. Added a gold flag on one side. And removed the catapults. (not made everywhere). The Dark side is the intended side.

December 22, 2009 12:49:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't this make another problem with Crucible worse though? Games can already take forever because there's only one lane and the portal flag is already hard to get to.

December 22, 2009 1:17:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you manage to destroy everything else, so that the portal flag is available to you without a gap warp, then the Citadel is right there for you and you probably don't even need the portal flag to win.

December 22, 2009 1:29:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
If you manage to destroy everything else, so that the portal flag is available to you without a gap warp, then the Citadel is right there for you and you probably don't even need the portal flag to win.

Eh, way to easy for anyone with AoE to push back a single wave of creeps coming from one direction, no matter how far they manage to get. And you rarely destroy everything, just enough so you can get past while your creeps take the shots, cap/lock the flag, then get out.

But if that's the case, wouldn't be easier to just remove the flag entirely, if that's possible?

December 22, 2009 1:37:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Eh, way to easy for anyone with AoE to push back a single wave of creeps coming from one direction, no matter how far they manage to get.
I disagree. Unless there are 3 Torch Bearer on your team, it's not that easy to push back the creep waves constantly + the enemy Demigods.

In all the Crucible games I had and won, I never had to or wanted to cap the enemy portal flag.

But if that's the case, wouldn't be easier to just remove the flag entirely, if that's possible?
Should be possible, but that's less fun and also changes war score behavior.

Also it's not like the flag is uncapable. With this mod, the cap radius is 5 (reduced from 10; apparently it has a lower cap on 5, any value below it didn't have any effect) which means that you can still cap it while being attacked by only the 2 towers of light on one side.

December 22, 2009 1:54:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Spooky__,
I disagree. Unless there are 3 Torch Bearer on your team, it's not that easy to push back the creep waves constantly + the enemy Demigods.

It just reminds me of a fortress match I had against a TB once. Took almost 50 minutes just to destroy all the fortresses, let alone actually get aywhere near his Citadel.

With this mod, the cap radius is 5 (reduced from 10; apparently it has a lower cap on 5, any value below it didn't have any effect) which means that you can still cap it while being attacked by only the 2 towers of light on one side.

Ah, I see. Based on the picture I thought you'd be in range of at least the 2 outside towers and the 2 archer towers next to them. In that case it's not a big deal.

December 26, 2009 1:22:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw, Spooky. Is it hard to do these changes to the maps? How do you do it?

December 27, 2009 11:08:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,
Btw, Spooky. Is it hard to do these changes to the maps? How do you do it?
Adding new objects in the scenario.lua file is easy. However, figuring out the correct position and rotation angles, especially for multiple items can be excruciating. In this case I started by searching for the position of one of the portals, which was the point of reference after which I positioned the towers. In case of Crucible I could simply build up the towers on one side, then copy & paste the new objects again and exchange the x and z values (regex replace) to mirror them on the other side (had to adjust each value slightly though).

December 27, 2009 11:49:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

figuring out the correct position and rotation angles, especially for multiple items can be excruciating.

no kidding... oh well... at least its possible.

December 27, 2009 1:55:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This opens up some new possibilities for remaking some of the others maps I hope. I'll see what I can do about modding those but I'll probably won't be able to do much since, well, I can't mod that well...

I can't find the scenario.lua... I've tried to search but nothing comes up, could anybody tell me where it is?

December 27, 2009 2:49:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's in the dgdata.zip

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: