The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Is Elven Legacy a good game or not?

By on November 19, 2009 1:33:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the title is rather self explainitory.

Is this game worth my time? Yes or no? Give reason why

+12 Karma | 14 Replies
November 19, 2009 1:48:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dunno. Did you like fantasy wars? I have not played either, although if there are better made turn based-combat games in a similar setting I would like to know. (that are still in retail, aka not-early 90s available thru daemon tools)

Its kind of like Star Trek movies ... it seems like there are soo many of them, and then when you want to find a decent one you realise how few their truly are.

November 19, 2009 2:30:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have Fantasy Wars, but havnt played it a lot. It seems to be incredibly difficult (or maybe that is just me).

November 19, 2009 2:48:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elven legacy is as difficult as fantasy war was. And it's refreshing .. but ! It means there's only one way to get gold victories.

I like that game, but it's more a chess-like game than a wargame ... It could be so much better as was Fantasy general .. that game was soooo good.

November 19, 2009 2:53:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elven Legacy is a (indeed very hard) sequel to Fantasy Wars.

Fantasy Wars itself is a brilliant remake of the classic "Fantasy General" by SSI. It was some kind of fantasy version of their Panzer General series. It has got a lot of tactical depth, like chess.

If you like turn based tactical games, this serial is great. I recommend starting with Fantasy Wars though because its much easier.

If the game is worth your time depends on what  you would spend it otherwise. If you are an doctor or an politician its surely a better idea to cure people or make this world a better place.

November 19, 2009 2:54:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting vieuxchat,
Elven legacy is as difficult as fantasy war was. And it's refreshing .. but ! It means there's only one way to get gold victories.

I like that game, but it's more a chess-like game than a wargame ... It could be so much better as was Fantasy general .. that game was soooo good.
how much does it cost cause I may need to buy it.

November 19, 2009 3:05:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not.

I don't much care for games that only have one strategy to get the highest win.  I really just didn't enjoy this title very much at all and I love war gaming, fantasy war gaming, strategy games in general.

I remember Panzer Generals only vaguely, but what I do remember of it was a positive overtone, I can't say as much when I remember Elven Legacy.  Because of the way it's structured, I'd likely have positive overtones of it if I had bought it on one of the weekend sales for $9.99 but at full retail it left me desiring to play something else instead and feeling that I mispent my money.  Nothing that a tremendous patch couldn't have taken care of though to restructure how the game can be won.

November 19, 2009 3:39:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So basically the game is a very very intense turn based game with only one true method of winning and if you stray from that method then your annihlation ensues?

November 19, 2009 5:56:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

only one true method of winning "perfectly" but plenty of ways to win. I am assuming its alot similar to Fire Emblem, but on a larger scale.

November 19, 2009 6:12:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, there's typically only one way to get a "Gold" victory, but Gold victories are not required.  It's more of a matter of pride and perfection than anything.

Elven Legacy, for me, is an okay game.  As others have said, it's more of a fantasy chess game than a real strategy game.  You're presented with a scenario, and must develop a strategy to complete that scenario in the given number of turns.  It's not an open-ended strategy game like Master of Magic or Age of Wonders.

If you like that design concept, I will say the game is really well done.  I'm more into open-ended strategy titles like the ones I mentioned, which is why the game didn't quite do it for me.

November 19, 2009 8:52:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

how do the battles play out in Age of Wonders?

November 20, 2009 10:26:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Battles in AoW are turn-based tactical.  If you haven't tried the game before, I'd recommend trying to pick up Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.  It's an expandalone to AoW2.  The game holds up very well even today, IMO.

November 20, 2009 5:52:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You misunderstand my question. Do large units take up more squares? is it graphically represented as more than one unit? Or is it One unit with a number below it like in HoMM

what does a battlefield look like

November 21, 2009 11:08:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One unit per unit. I believe it's a square based system, but there's no grid. Large units are larger (they have a larger radius).

http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/a/age_of_wonders_ii_patch-289399-1253168962.jpeg

November 21, 2009 11:40:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've got the game. It's pretty good. But yeah, options for winning gold victory are limited. If you don't care though, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.