The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Why I love Demigod

By on November 10, 2009 7:29:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod isn't perfect of course. No game is.  I have a laundry list of things I want to see changed and with the upcoming modding, I am hoping to see those changes happen.

That said, let me tell you why I think Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009.

1. It has the best game mechanics of any RTS of 2009.  The balance between citadel upgrades, flags, and personal items are just wonderful.

2. The fact that it is really easy to learn how to play but that a well coordinated team can own 3 experts who don't play well together.

3. The multiple ways that most of the Demigods can play.

4. It's beautiful. I can zoom out and see the whole arena or I can zoom in and see stunning graphics. Demigod is that rare game that looks terrific but whose engine is highly practical too.

5. Sheer polish.  If you have a moderate system that plays fine today, fear not, the game looks incredible at 2500x1600 thus it won't get dated soon.

6. It's continuing to get better.  If you read the forum posts, you sometimes forget that the game has only been out about 6 months and has received continual updates throughout its life with more updates in the works. It ain't going anywhere.

Just some quick thoughts on the matter.

+892 Karma | 79 Replies
November 15, 2009 1:53:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,
Another reason I like demigod, QoT has a nice booty XDXD

I bet someone was betting on how long it was going to take me to say that >.>

Ha ha ha

I was gonna say that i like your picture....it is very...mmm....interesting (hot).....u get the point.

November 15, 2009 2:24:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I just happened to take a quick glance at the prices for Demigod on Impulse. I cannot believe how inexpensive it is now. That is certainly something positive for people who might choose to buy a copy.
November 15, 2009 4:16:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys want to hear some insane statistics?

1. Right now there are 722 people with the demo version who are logged in but only 86 people who are actually in a game with the demo version. This continues the weird "people log in but lurk for hours" thing we see with the full version. No one knows why but they are definitely logged in with the game running and just lurking.

2. Less than 30% of the people who have registered Demigod have ever even logged on to try to play multiplayer. I don't mean actually played multiplayer, I mean, literally logged in to even lurk.  That is, at least 70% of Demigod players have played it exclusively single player.

November 15, 2009 4:42:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod isn't perfect of course. No game is.  I have a laundry list of things I want to see changed and with the upcoming modding, I am hoping to see those changes happen.

That said, let me tell you why I think Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009.

1. It has the best game mechanics of any RTS of 2009.  The balance between citadel upgrades, flags, and personal items are just wonderful.

2. The fact that it is really easy to learn how to play but that a well coordinated team can own 3 experts who don't play well together.

3. The multiple ways that most of the Demigods can play.

4. It's beautiful. I can zoom out and see the whole arena or I can zoom in and see stunning graphics. Demigod is that rare game that looks terrific but whose engine is highly practical too.

5. Sheer polish.  If you have a moderate system that plays fine today, fear not, the game looks incredible at 2500x1600 thus it won't get dated soon.

6. It's continuing to get better.  If you read the forum posts, you sometimes forget that the game has only been out about 6 months and has received continual updates throughout its life with more updates in the works. It ain't going anywhere.

Just some quick thoughts on the matter.

1. Balance hmm... from what i saw most of the games you get 3 items from each category in the shop. Rest of items are either overpriced or underpowered. Same with faovor items - only 30% of them are usefull. Citadel looks better with graveyard being buffed - which we yet to see. If u want to call this game rts i belive u got far more to do to beat Dawn of War 2 for that title. If someone wall call it rpg u got even more to do to beat Dragons age.

2. Is it? There is no toturial, no help screen, no thing to learn from. U have any idead how many noobs told me they dont know where is their favor item (how to choose one). Seriusly make a screenshot with pointy arrows explaining what does every thing do, it is maxx 2 hours job. I dont think that noobs got any chance againts experts coz they dont understand what items are good, when to buy urself item or upgrade citadel. Example i played 3v3, all noobs except me (i hosted the room they asked if they can stay, i said if u team is fine with it why not) we beat them on kills, and they had war rank 8 when we just get 6. If they would get catas then we would have no chance to recover, but they didnt know about it, coz no one explain what does warrank do.

3. 2-3 builds per demigod, which again if u noob and for example u dont stack speed as regulus or hp as rook u end up feeding. How many useless skills we get in the game such as yetis, regulus dead eye,qot tribute, best bestial wrath?

4. Graphics looks good, so does dragon age (u can zoom in and out too) But this is one of fev RTS that dosnt have any kind of click able minimap. Sure u can zoom out but it dosnt feel the same. Older games that looked tereffic and had free camera are: Black and white 1,2 (world was changing  depending how good or evil u have been - beat that!)

5. Shouldn't it be point 4.1? Again look at dragons age, rts: black and white 2, DoW 2, Tiberium wars - ohh and all of these games have storyline, cutscenes (tiberium wars got real actors) and ofcourse tutorials for noobs.

6. Not better - playable. And it still got lots to go. 'game been out 6 moths' - eactly my point, its shitload of time to fix bugs that people keep reminding you about. 6 months to put in missing fire tb attoatack animation (or more coz patch 1.2 is delayed). What about desync exploit, What about pantheon (playing vs ai gives u expierience points example- Prussian Havoc), What about patching (i died countless times coz i couldnt move when creep was blocking my way or bad cornering, or stopping on the tower). Where is clan wars, where is matchmaking system, where are fixed notes?

seriusly think about making fev slideshows for noobs to explain them what does citadel do, where to buy equipment, what is favor points, what is warrrank points. I mean something is better  then nothing right?

Oh one more thing, I dont want to hear from ZhenDon or Spooky how hard you have been working on this thing and how gratefull i should be. Thanks i see that in almost every post. If u have something constructive to say for a change please do.

I know you guys belive stardock is next IBM and it will change the way people think about computers, but u dont need to remind me that. I also know how rude, impatient, stupid, hopeless and bad people who ask for something to be done are.

November 15, 2009 4:49:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

1. Right now there are 722 people with the demo version who are logged in but only 86 people who are actually in a game with the demo version. This continues the weird "people log in but lurk for hours" thing we see with the full version. No one knows why but they are definitely logged in with the game running and just lurking.

2. Less than 30% of the people who have registered Demigod have ever even logged on to try to play multiplayer. I don't mean actually played multiplayer, I mean, literally logged in to even lurk.  That is, at least 70% of Demigod players have played it exclusively single player.

1. uhm Ready to play? people dont bother to swich it off so it show them as logged in?

2. Maybe they play lan or hamachi, coz it seems more stable than multiplayer? How long can u paly single player with no storyline? seriusly.

Dont forget lots of people bought 3rd or 4th account lately so they can find someway to play since overlay.

i bet some of those 70% got the game register it and try single their pc couldnt handle such a beatifull graphics so they just throw it in the corner

November 15, 2009 4:49:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

That is really insane. I know some of my friends sometime leave their computer on with the game running when they are doing something (I don't do it because it wastes energy), but the amount of lurkers is just insane.

November 15, 2009 4:53:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting irek1988,

r.
1. uhm Ready to play? people dont bother to swich it off so it show them as logged in?

Guilty

November 15, 2009 5:05:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ready to Play has nothing to do with Demigod statistics.  Good grief, how many times do we have to say:

To get counted in online stats you have to have Demigod itself loaded and be logged into it.

November 15, 2009 5:07:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so whats ur explanation. people just leave it working in background for music? u make no sense

November 15, 2009 5:10:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You tell'em Frogs!

November 15, 2009 5:14:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Ready to Play has nothing to do with Demigod statistics.  Good grief, how many times do we have to say:

To get counted in online stats you have to have Demigod itself loaded and be logged into it.

Maybe we have demi ghost or demi pirates. Arggggg

November 15, 2009 6:22:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting irek1988,
so whats ur explanation. people just leave it working in background for music? u make no sense

Quoting Frogboy,

Irek, please learn to read. Thanks.

November 15, 2009 6:45:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sigh.

Like ZehDon says, please read what was written.

No one knows why they are lurking. But they are.  Or they may simply be waiting for the right game or waiting with friends. Who knows.

Perhaps someone has a rationale as to why a game that is strongest in MP gaming has had most people play only single player (and the game will run on older hardware just fine).

At PAX I talked to a lot of people who said they'd only played Demigod single player.  It shocked me.

November 15, 2009 7:00:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

or maybe they chat on irc?

or maybe ur stats are bugged?

November 15, 2009 7:59:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
No one knows why they are lurking. But they are.  Or they may simply be waiting for the right game or waiting with friends. Who knows.

Perhaps someone has a rationale as to why a game that is strongest in MP gaming has had most people play only single player (and the game will run on older hardware just fine).

At PAX I talked to a lot of people who said they'd only played Demigod single player.  It shocked me.

I know a lot of my friends are wary of playing any game online because they know they are likely to get dominated so badly by people that play online all the time. So, my theory is that many like the idea and the look of the game and buy it to play the single player but never dip their toe in the deep water in case it gets bitten off! Not that I've even been able to get any RL friends to buy DG.

I've been happy to talk about the game on online forums such as hexus and posted the current bargain price of ~£9.20 on forums, because I really like this game and I think they will too. Some people from there have bought Demigod I know, but I've not seen them playing online matches.

The trouble is if few inexperienced gamers play these games online then there will be few noobs for the noobs to play and they will end up in games with more experienced players. So they will get badly beaten all the time, get cussed at for being noobs and have no fun, end up sticking to single player and telling their friends that the online play is no fun and impossibly hard and put them off it too. So we still have few to no new players online. Catch 22.

November 15, 2009 8:04:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know a lot of my friends are wary of playing any game online because they know they are likely to get dominated so badly by people that play online all the time. So, my theory is that many like the idea and the look of the game and buy it to play the single player but never dip their toe in the deep water in case it gets bitten off! Not that I've even been able to get any RL friends to buy DG.
Well, tell your friends that they can simply host a game for new players .

November 15, 2009 8:19:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting irek1988,
or maybe they chat on irc?

i think we should just stop there on that topic..

moving on...

November 16, 2009 5:22:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm one of those people who's guilty of lurking, actually. I run DG in windowed mode and when I'm not playing I often just click on a browser or whatever and DG sits behind my other applications idling.

November 16, 2009 9:25:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
I'm one of those people who's guilty of lurking, actually. I run DG in windowed mode and when I'm not playing I often just click on a browser or whatever and DG sits behind my other applications idling.

Long wait times for games contribute to a lot of people doing this.

November 16, 2009 9:44:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I wonder if a certain amount of them are trying to sort out connectivity, port forwarding issues?  And how much % time does a normal user spend in lobbies rather than a game?  Still seems wierd though.

Quoting Frogboy,

Now that is odd.  Certainly ties in with statistics of Sins but Demigod to me screams multiplayer.  Does make you think that more should have been put in for the single player game though and the AI should get more love.

November 16, 2009 9:56:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gkrit,

Quoting irek1988, reply 64or maybe they chat on irc?

i think we should just stop there on that topic..

moving on...

But it was just getting good >.>

November 16, 2009 9:57:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
Same but I mostly have it minimized while drawing or modding oblivion.

November 16, 2009 9:59:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
Long wait times for games contribute to a lot of people doing this.
Well, at least on dgstats, all players that are waiting in a Lobby will also be counted as "in game".

November 16, 2009 2:14:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ack, sorry this goes off topic in a lengthy way, but you asked:  I posit there are four general categories of gamers, and they tend not to move out of their category.  This is their gaming preference and they tend to stay there regardless of what the game wants.  They are:

1. Single player.  Only play against computer opponents.

2. Cooperative multiplayer. Play with others against computer opponents.  Though you are all working together against an AI adversary, it is still competitive, with each trying to contribute the most to in terms of DPS, or the most creative use of support functions.  Here is where MMOs found a highly addictive gameplay style, which before them was rare.

3. Casual competitive multiplayer. Prefer human adversaries to AI, but avoid leaderboards. They are looking more for a little fun after work rather than training for competitive match-ups.

4. Hard-core competitive multiplayer.  Enough said.

For example, World or Warcraft, which I pull out of the hat as a successful game I am familiar with, caters strongly to each of these four types.  For type 1 you have quests, type 2 instances and raids, type 3 battlegrounds, and type 4 arenas.  You have different gameplay types each specifically targeting different gaming preferences.

While people may say Demigod caters to 3 and 4, as a 3-type player myself, it feels skewed to 4.  But all of the gaming types are possible here.  The strengths of Demigod (as mentioned on this thread) are such that it is fun even if playing outside of its focus.  For the type 1 and type 2 players, Demigod caters to them much better than its emerging competition (LoL and HoN).

November 16, 2009 2:20:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Haree78,

Quoting Frogboy,
reply 53

Quoting Haree78,
Now that is odd.  Certainly ties in with statistics of Sins but Demigod to me screams multiplayer.  Does make you think that more should have been put in for the single player game though and the AI should get more love.

I'm not surprised at all by the single-player statistic.  Seems I read a few years ago that the developer of Unreal Tournament 2004 discovered that most people who bought the game never played online. How much more multiplayer focused can you get than the UT series (didn't encourage them to do a good campaign for UT3, though)?  I think that multiplayer is grossly overrated regarding the gaming customer base (compared to people who purchase for single player) due to the more vocal multiplayer communities in internet forums, etc.  However, developers & publishers have the sales data and know that they never see the number of people registered and playing on online play that actually purchased the game.  Most people do like a good single-player game. I believe that even people who buy a game for multiplayer will go through a single-player campaign and occasionally mess around with AI skirmishes.  I wish that more developers would get serious about single-player campaigns, AI, and so forth.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.