The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Why I love Demigod

By on November 10, 2009 7:29:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod isn't perfect of course. No game is.  I have a laundry list of things I want to see changed and with the upcoming modding, I am hoping to see those changes happen.

That said, let me tell you why I think Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009.

1. It has the best game mechanics of any RTS of 2009.  The balance between citadel upgrades, flags, and personal items are just wonderful.

2. The fact that it is really easy to learn how to play but that a well coordinated team can own 3 experts who don't play well together.

3. The multiple ways that most of the Demigods can play.

4. It's beautiful. I can zoom out and see the whole arena or I can zoom in and see stunning graphics. Demigod is that rare game that looks terrific but whose engine is highly practical too.

5. Sheer polish.  If you have a moderate system that plays fine today, fear not, the game looks incredible at 2500x1600 thus it won't get dated soon.

6. It's continuing to get better.  If you read the forum posts, you sometimes forget that the game has only been out about 6 months and has received continual updates throughout its life with more updates in the works. It ain't going anywhere.

Just some quick thoughts on the matter.

+892 Karma | 79 Replies
November 12, 2009 12:09:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Galciv and Sins AAA I agree completely. In fact.... I can't believe it's the same company that made demigod.

SD only made galciv... unless I'm missing something. 

November 12, 2009 12:12:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warcraft 3 Zoom not equal to Supreme Commander/Demigod Zoom.  Not by a long shot...

November 12, 2009 12:47:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mgmetal13,
Warcraft 3 Zoom not equal to Supreme Commander/Demigod Zoom.  Not by a long shot...

Correct, but you also don't need it because you can click on the minimap and it will zoom to that spot for you. Something that demigod doesn't do

You need to zoom so much in demigod so you can see what is going on everywhere, with war3, if you see a red dot on your minimap, you click it and you can see whats going on, you can even order units VIA the minimap.

You also need to zoom so much because towers, flags, and Rook's clutter your view so much it makes it near impossible to target what it is that you really want to target without having to zoom and get a clear view of it. yes you can hover your mouse around until you see the siloute of the item you want to cast a spell on, but if it's a time sensitive issue you cannot afford the luxury of time.

November 12, 2009 3:40:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting playgroundlegend,
Warcraft 3 and frozen throne both had zoom - how do you think they got the box art / screen shots?

I never once used the WCIII zoom on purpose.  I have yet to find it useful.  Not to say it isn't, but for me, there's no point to it.

November 12, 2009 4:00:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting playgroundlegend,
Correct, but you also don't need it because you can click on the minimap and it will zoom to that spot for you. Something that demigod doesn't do
You don't need that, because you have the Zoom. In Supreme Commander you don't use a Minmap and even Edge Scrolling at all. You simply Zoom where you want to.

November 12, 2009 4:18:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love the character designs, and will bug Frogboy until he introduces me to the artist >.>

November 12, 2009 5:42:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I never once used the WCIII zoom on purpose. I have yet to find it useful. Not to say it isn't, but for me, there's no point to it.
Yeah, WarCraft 3 zoom was more of a pan. Anyways, I don't use zoom in a strategy game anyways. I just find a workable height for the camera and go from their. I'm too engrossed with the game to notice any graphical details worthy of zooming. The one thing that I found annoying on Demigod was that zooming around actually moved your camera. When you zoom in, then zoom out without moving the mouse, your camera is going to be in a completely different place afterwards than where it started.
November 12, 2009 5:50:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting vindKtiv,
Anyways, I don't use zoom in a strategy game anyways. I just find a workable height for the camera and go from their. I'm too engrossed with the game to notice any graphical details worthy of zooming. The one thing that I found annoying on Demigod was that zooming around actually moved your camera. When you zoom in, then zoom out without moving the mouse, your camera is going to be in a completely different place afterwards than where it started.
That's the beauty and the core feature of the strategic zoom. As I said, in Supreme Commander you don't have to use minimap- or edge-scrolling. Those ancient techniques are utterly awkward compared to how easy and efficient the strategic zoom is. The strategic zoom also allows you to always know exactly where you are and what surrounds you, since you have always a complete overview, as opposed to jumping to a new location via a minimap for example. Jumping introduces you to a new place without having any information in between and around the new spot and can thus be desorienting.

In Demigod you can use the strategic zoom the same way. Unforunately they capped the maximum height a bit too low and so you can't get a full overview of the whole map, depending on the map and your zoomed-out position. And therefore you can't zoom to every other place from there and have to additionally rely on WASD (which is fine and still convenient).

November 12, 2009 6:00:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warcraft III zoom and DG zoom aren't even in the same ballpark.

how do you think they got the box art / screen shots?
Screenshots were literally the only purpose of it.

November 13, 2009 10:27:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SD only made galciv... unless I'm missing something

Sins = Sins of a Solar Empire, a great innovative strategy game that is worth checking out.

November 13, 2009 12:02:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

#1 and 2 from your list together are what really sets it apart -- it doesn't take much individual skill to do an actual toe-to-toe fight; a lot of a team's success has to do with your ability to know when to help out each other and when to go on independent expeditions against towers.  The game is a perfect balance between working together in team combat, contributing individually towards your common goal of citadel upgrades, and showing individual initiative when you've got a numerical advantage or need to alter the balance in your team's favor.

November 13, 2009 12:10:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sinzer,

SD only made galciv... unless I'm missing something

Sins = Sins of a Solar Empire, a great innovative strategy game that is worth checking out.

They didn't develope Sins, Ironclad did. They published Sins like they published Demigod.

November 13, 2009 12:53:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's easily the most addictive RTS I've seen in a long while.  I'm a huge Rise of Nations, Age of Empires fan too, but never played them online much, only at LAN.  As someone above said, the games are fast paced, right from the start.  No watching TV and playing.  Very immersive.  Not as massive as Empire Total War, but if you think minion pathing is bad, watching your troops do everything but respond in Total War is infuriating.

November 13, 2009 1:10:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Removed trolling by Horse

More to come!!!!

I love Demigod cause it was a great beta to participate in.

I Love Demigod cause the Publisher and Developer are active in the game.

I Love Demigod cause the game is so fun to play and can have variety of builds for each DG.

I Love Demigod cause of the free year of updates

I Love Demigod Cause Frogboy didn't ban me for trolling

November 13, 2009 2:50:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HR, please don't troll my thread. Thanks.

November 13, 2009 2:53:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also like boobies >.>

November 13, 2009 3:20:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
HR, please don't troll my thread. Thanks.

Ok Troll Mode disconnected

November 13, 2009 5:18:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SD only made galciv... unless I'm missing something.

No your not mate, SINS was developed by Ironclad.

November 14, 2009 11:09:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock only coded Galactic Civilizations out of the list. But our design involvement on Sins of a Solar Empire and Demigod was pretty considerable.

November 14, 2009 11:36:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the reason its so fun is its addictive like the dota style games, but the characters actually have depth to them not just we have 10000 characters but they are each only good at one thing that helps them stall till their ultimate is up, and the demigod art and design is some of the coolest character design/background to come out in gaming in several years

game art seems to be going away slowly for realistic gritty shooters

November 15, 2009 2:11:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well said.

November 15, 2009 8:01:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ha ha ha cool picture!

November 15, 2009 9:49:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LMAO wow nice zehdon

November 15, 2009 11:10:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like the graphics, the character and map design, the zoom (should be in every game!) and the potential to be a great multiplayer competitive experience

the combination of flags, citadell upgrades, towers, creeps, xp etc is great too.

the downside is, that it has way to many flaws

November 15, 2009 11:17:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another reason I like demigod, QoT has a nice booty XDXD

I bet someone was betting on how long it was going to take me to say that >.>

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.