The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod, I cant play it...

By on August 31, 2009 8:04:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

invadermugwi

Join Date 08/2009
+1

Hey...I bought the game today, and I went to start it up. I was hearing no sound through the intro things, and when I finally got the the intro movie, the sound would skip. I just skipped it, and when I went to Tournyment under single player, I clicked new, and the Tourch Bearer started talking, and I hear something along these lines :    "I i i i i i i i sh sh sh sh shal bur bur bur bur burn this wor wor wor wor wor world."   You get the idea...I just skipped it after trying to fix it, went into the game, and got to play at like...2 fps....My computer -can- handle the specs, and I know it. I even bought an extra gig of ram to play it with. My question is....what the heck is wrong?

Locked Post 50 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 31, 2009 8:24:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What are your specs? is the game updated via impulse?  Try [email protected].

August 31, 2009 8:29:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor

3800+

2.41 GHz, 1.37 GB of RAM

Chip Type : GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

512MB Memory Size

My cousin looked through my specs, and hes smarter than I am about this stuff, and said my specs passed what the game needed. I just updated the game via Impulse, and it didnt improve.

August 31, 2009 8:43:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What kind of video card?

Ah... solved your issue.

Minimum:

• Windows XP SP3 (32-Bit Only) / Vista SP1 (32- or 64-Bit)
  • 2.4 GHz Processor
  • 512 MB Available System Memory
  • 8 GB Available Hard Drive Space
  • 128 MB 3D Video Card (ATI Radeon X1600 / Nvidia GeForce 6800 or better)*
  • Sound Card
  • Broadband Internet Connection for Multiplayer
  • Stardock's Impulse Required for Updates/Digital Download

Recommended:

• 3 GHz Processor (Multicore Supported)
  • 1 GB Available System Memory
  • 256 MB 3D Video Card (ATI Radeon 2600 / Nvidia GeForce 7600 or better)

Your cousin was definately wrong, your GeForce 6150SE is far from good enough to play this game.  As you can see above the minmum is a 6800.  You really need a discrete (or a current gen integrated) graphics card.

Sorry, email stardock about a refund.

August 31, 2009 8:47:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Damn. Well, Im screwed out of $30. I went to Wal'mart to try to get my money back, and I cant. Cause I already opened it to install the game to try it out (Go figure! Who would violate the return policy on the item they just bought by opening it to see if it works! gasp!). >.<. Gah, well...ferk.

August 31, 2009 8:53:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You could probably buy an inexpensive graphics card for that computer if you have a pcie slot...if you're interested. 

August 31, 2009 8:55:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How would I find out if its a PCI slot? >.>

August 31, 2009 8:59:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only benchmark information I could find on your card was for Doom 3, and it didn't perform very well at all. Considering the CPU requirements of the game alone, I'd have to say that your system is simply underpowered for Demigod.

Try disabling the sound via the /nosound command, and see if it makes a difference.
Run the game at the lowest possible settings and then try running the game in windowed mode.
You can also lower your video quality settings via the Nvidia Control Panel to prioritise speed over quality and produce a few extra FPS which might help in this situation.

August 31, 2009 9:05:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
The only benchmark information I could find on your card was for Doom 3, and it didn't perform very well at all. Considering the CPU requirements of the game alone, I'd have to say that your system is simply underpowered for Demigod.

Try disabling the sound via the /nosound command, and see if it makes a difference.
Run the game at the lowest possible settings and then try running the game in windowed mode.
You can also lower your video quality settings via the Nvidia Control Panel to prioritise speed over quality and produce a few extra FPS which might help in this situation.

How do I do that now? Just start up the game and type /nosound, or what? (Sorry, Im a noob to Demigod, lol)

August 31, 2009 9:10:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You'll need to add the command to your Demigod shortcut. Open the Shortcut's properties, and the target box should read similar to "C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\demigod.exe". Simply add /nosound add the end of that, it should read

"C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\demigod.exe" /nosound

It might buy you a few extra FPS, but it won't see a massive increase. The only real solution is to purchase a new 3D Card. Depending on what you have available, a current 8000 series Geforce would set you back around AU$200.00 which is fairly respectable for it's performance. Keep in mind Demigod can be CPU intensive as well, as your CPU might bottleneck the game as well.

August 31, 2009 9:15:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
You'll need to add the command to your Demigod shortcut. Open the Shortcut's properties, and the target box should read similar to "C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\demigod.exe". Simply add /nosound add the end of that, it should read

It might buy you a few extra FPS, but it won't see a massive increase. The only real solution is to purchase a new 3D Card. Depending on what you have available, a current 8000 series Geforce would set you back around AU$200.00 which is fairly respectable for it's performance. Keep in mind Demigod can be CPU intensive as well, as your CPU might bottleneck the game as well.

Thanks. Ill try that out. Heres hoping I can at least try it out, though from the Forums explosion, it doesnt sound like the best game ever. I think ima break down, save up alot and buy this :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9361166&st=Dell+Inspiron+I545S-004B+Desktop+&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1218091498682

Its respectable for the price, so im not complaining. I already have a great monitor, so I dont have to worry about that. I think its a great computer for the price.

August 31, 2009 9:18:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Thanks. Trying it out. Hopefully I can at least try the game out, lol. HEres hoping, though from the sounds of things, it aint the best thing ever. Ima break down and save up to buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9361166&st=Dell+Inspiron+I545S-004B+Desktop+&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1218091498682

I think its a great comp for the price. I cant afford a spendy thing. Just need an updated gaming computer. The one I have right now has a ton of the things built into the motherboard, so replacing stuff it tricky, lol.

August 31, 2009 9:19:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry for the double post. My net lagged >.<

August 31, 2009 9:26:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting invadermugwi,

Thanks. Ill try that out. Heres hoping I can at least try it out, though from the Forums explosion, it doesnt sound like the best game ever. I think ima break down, save up alot and buy this :

Its respectable for the price, so im not complaining. I already have a great monitor, so I dont have to worry about that. I think its a great computer for the price.

The system you have linked won't run any games to save its life.  It has an integrated Intel graphics card, which means most games won't even attempt to load.  You will need to add a discrete graphics card or buy a system with one in it.  The system you have linked doesn't look like it will fit a good graphics card in it (case looks too narrow).  A good discrete card runs ~$125 right now.  The deals on graphics cards right now are really better thn I have ever seen.

August 31, 2009 9:38:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Could someone link one thats great thats not so spendy then? I can try to find a link to my computer to show whats available to me. Alot of my things are built into the motherboard, so im not sure what I could even use.

August 31, 2009 9:41:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Heres my computer :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=29354&lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=3411015&lang=

Also, want to take this time to say thank you to this forum community. Its one of the friendliest and most helpful ive come across in a long long time.

August 31, 2009 9:46:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why are you surprised you computer can't handle this game?  It can't handle most any modern game out there....

August 31, 2009 10:04:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Grand...so...as it stands, I need a new system...lol. Well, guess I have a bit of searching and reasearching whats good out there ahead of me. At any rate, thanks everyone..

August 31, 2009 10:26:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting invadermugwi,
Grand...so...as it stands, I need a new system...lol. Well, guess I have a bit of searching and reasearching whats good out there ahead of me. At any rate, thanks everyone..

Feel free to come back and post on here for some helpful suggestions.  Also, feel free to PM me so I know the thread exists.

August 31, 2009 10:27:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Contact HP and see if they make a bios that will support a more modern cpu. if they do, then you have a shot at running it IF you're willing to buy a new cpu for that comp. you also need to see the power output by your power supply, it should be written on the side of the power supply that you can access by removing the cover, to see if you can put in a more modern graphics card, anything you could use would require a good bit of power to run more modern games...You're really much better off upgrading the entire system if you want to play modern games.

cpu

mobo

memory

gpu

case and psu

OS

hdd

total cost, 565.95+shipping (a lot of the items are free shipping, the estimate on shipping to me in PA was $10.00)

August 31, 2009 11:47:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No problems invader, I know the feeling of having an older machine. If you need any further advice, by all means post and we'll help as best as we can.

September 1, 2009 1:43:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting aias,
Contact HP and see if they make a bios that will support a more modern cpu. if they do, then you have a shot at running it IF you're willing to buy a new cpu for that comp. you also need to see the power output by your power supply, it should be written on the side of the power supply that you can access by removing the cover, to see if you can put in a more modern graphics card, anything you could use would require a good bit of power to run more modern games...You're really much better off upgrading the entire system if you want to play modern games.

cpu

mobo

memory

gpu

case and psu

OS

hdd

total cost, 565.95+shipping (a lot of the items are free shipping, the estimate on shipping to me in PA was $10.00)

Thanks for looking this up for me! But looking through the Pros and cons secontion, it said on a few pieces that it cant handl heavy gameplay (I.E. "Cant handle Oblivion on medium settings.") Did you pick them cause they are the cheapest that function well for gaming, or are those people just being goofy? 

Again, please dont take the question the wrong way, I really appritiate all of the help

Edit : Also, Shouldnt it need a Power supply? Or sound card...I didnt see either of those, Unless I can use the sound card from my old one. Idk bout the power supply, heres the spec for that : I just see it says Output : 250W Max

September 1, 2009 2:16:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

250W is a no.

If you're going budget, integrated sound or using your old sound card is fine.

September 1, 2009 2:20:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sly_Squash,
250W is a no.

If you're going budget, integrated sound or using your old sound card is fine.

As in I need to find a beter power supply "No" ?

Edit : Also, My cousin has the OS for XP already he can just give me. Could I take out the Vista OS, or is Vista a Need? Ive heard people prefer XP over Vista, and honestly, I "Downgraded" to XP from Vista, which came on my comp.

September 1, 2009 2:26:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, you will need a 400W or higher with your new system.

September 1, 2009 2:28:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sly_Squash,
Yes, you will need a 400W or higher with your new system.

Ah, got ya. Ok, Ill have to search Newegg for one. How bout my Edit Question? Im thinking its just a matter of preferance, but I could be wrong.

Edit : Found a nice cheap one, 430W :  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: