The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Sacred 2 - Better then Diablo II?

By on July 22, 2009 3:16:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey all,

I bought Sacred 2 on Impluse this weekend and I'm loving it.  Other then the random maps of D2 I think it is better in every way.  Any one else play both D2 and Sacred 2?  What do you think?

Sammual

+12 Karma | 36 Replies
July 22, 2009 7:33:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Barely played Diablo 2. Haven't played Sacred 2.

However, you asked for opinions, so I have to side with Diablo 2. Sacred 2 comes with SecuROM which I consider (and many others) to be more trouble than its worth. In fact, I'll side with nearly any non-SecuROM game, even games from a different genere.

If I could get a copy of the game without the SecuROM (legally, not hacked), I would pick up a copy and try it out to see which is better.

July 22, 2009 8:11:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Whenever I come across a game with DRM like that, I just buy the game but never touch it and download a warez copy of it.  Technically still illegal, but it solves the moral problems for me.

July 23, 2009 1:14:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Diablo2 is still better imho.  waiting for diablo3, hopefully 1 more year.

July 23, 2009 1:26:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MetaNerd3ooo,
Whenever I come across a game with DRM like that, I just buy the game but never touch it and download a warez copy of it.  Technically still illegal, but it solves the moral problems for me.

finally, a smart person. I;m so sick of hearing of those pioneers who are fucking over companies because DRM. nothing is wrong with DRM. sadly, a few bad tales and everyone hates it( I highly doubt every anti-DRM person has had a bad experience). Having a bad DRM experience and then not getting a game cause it has that companies DRM is one thing, excluding all of them is ridiculous

July 23, 2009 2:37:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Got the game & finish it while ago. Apart from the class mount where each class can ride on it & do a chain combo it is not much different to d2. It sort of get bored for me after a while.

July 23, 2009 3:42:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DivineWrath,
Barely played Diablo 2. Haven't played Sacred 2.

However, you asked for opinions, so I have to side with Diablo 2. Sacred 2 comes with SecuROM which I consider (and many others) to be more trouble than its worth. In fact, I'll side with nearly any non-SecuROM game, even games from a different genere.

If I could get a copy of the game without the SecuROM (legally, not hacked), I would pick up a copy and try it out to see which is better.
Considering that the OP had nothing to do with DRM talk...

July 23, 2009 4:50:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am very curious about this title, hows the Mp?

Im am/was a BIG diablo II fan, played that till i had 3 lvl 90's and those funky rune items, wich is low to medium rich i guess but it went a bit repatative from there.

July 23, 2009 4:57:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry for the post spamm, but i just looked at some screens, and it looks AWSOME!

Im hooked to dg right now, but it looks so great!

July 23, 2009 5:59:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UncleanXuch,
Sorry for the post spamm, but i just looked at some screens, and it looks AWSOME!

Im hooked to dg right now, but it looks so great!

most of the reviews of it are 2 of 10 stars... so um sure it looks good but...

July 23, 2009 7:24:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

graphics are cool, animations awesome, music is great, story is infantile and the gameplay is repetetive.

sounds exactly like an updated version of diablo 2, eh?

I bought it some while ago but couldn't warm up to it. Maybe this kind of gameplay had it's peak during the Diablo 2 days, back when it was new.

Besides, the skill system does it's very best to prevent the abuse of spamming powerful spells ... and finding a way to abuse aspects of the game to pown all and everything was always my top priority in Diablo 2.

I think I was one of the first people to use the Amazon's Lightning strike skill to devastating effect - even before magic javelins were introduced. Blizzard had to rework the lightning art because then a full specced LS amazon could - with certain items and skills - fill the whole screen with lightning white, slowing the game to a halt and often dropping other players from the game.

July 23, 2009 7:48:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, didnt like Sacred 2 all that much either. Weird classes and really bad voice acting. Graphics are awesome and I love the freedom that Sacred 2 gives in the sense of exploring the maps as you see fit. The unique mounts saved the game for me because the Hellhound for shadow warrior was just awesome.

Sadly Diablo2's days are long gone. I reinstalled it again sometime ago to hype myself up for the coming of Diablo3. Diablo2's music was just awesome. It had that real sinister but yet melodic feel to it. I also played Titans quest + Exp and man did I love that game. I must have played it like 100 times since its release in 2005.

But no matter how you look at it, Diablo set the benchmark for many games of that genre. Some clones have succeeded in equalling it and other have failed in comparison. Hopefully Diablo 3 will also impress just like D2 did.

Long Live the OAK

July 23, 2009 7:53:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting UncleanXuch,
I am very curious about this title, hows the Mp?

It's not. One major complaint on the official forums is that the multiplayer servers are a barren desert. And many of the the players that do play online prefer to do so solo/not in groups. As for PvP, forget it, it's possible but it's just not the right game for it.

Also, the American an European servers are strictly seperate, Americans can only go to American servers, Europeans only to European servers. (thus deviding up what community there is) Strangely, both European and American servers are located in Germany, potentially making things interesting for American players.

(All this on a "last time I checked" basis)

July 23, 2009 10:40:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All,

As far as DRM goes I was not aware that it had SecuROM, I bought a copy from Impulse and downloaded it.  It didn't cause any problems on either of my PCs.

Differences from Diablo - I like the cooldown on the skills, the ability to chain together skills in a combo, the ability to mod you attack powers (The biggest plus), only being able to pick 10 skills.  All in all Sacred 2 character development is much more complex then Diablo 2 and it did confuse and scare off a lot of players and some reviewers but I think it is a much better system.  On the down side, the map is huge and static and it takes too long to go from one place to another (To be fixed in the expantion next month).  The voice acting bugs the hell out of some people, it is full of cheese (Some badits cry out 'I knew I was only an extra' when killed).

MP - The EE servers are not bad but the US servers (Hard Core) and a baren wastland (There are between 2 and 8 players on at any given time).  The talk it when the expantion comes out next month they will be server merge so that all the English servers will be merged into one.

I am having more fun then I have had in a long time playing (I am on my 7th Hard Core char in less then a week)

Sammual

July 23, 2009 10:52:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I recently restarted playing D2 it still has some of its magic and the latest patch allows you to play without the CD.

July 23, 2009 2:53:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sacred 1 was wayyy better IMO than Sacred 2 - certainly in terms of atmosphere.

It had that traditional fantasy world that looked genuinely dark and medieval (jaw-dropping 2D backdrops and coutryside), and addictive gameplay that just drew you in. The draw-backs were the ridiculously childish names & storyline. Tho the atmosphere took a dive with the expansion, leading to the problems with Sacred 2.....

I spent all of 15 minutes on the Sacred 2 demo before giving up - it just didn't have the same addictive nature, and (IMO) the 3d both 1) Leads to a drop in backdrop looks/atmosphere and 2) makes the gameplay too fiddly. Action RPG is best in 2D - NB: Diablo 3 has fixed perspective, so I think will Torchlight. Worse still, the silly/childish aspects have been expanded - all the characters are ridiculous scantily clad females or daft rock-band males. Plus that ludicrous egyptian dog. 'Original' is good, 'Daft' isn't.

July 23, 2009 6:21:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The complete lack of any kind of death penalty (well, other than lowering the monster's levels to make it easier for you) kinda killed it for me.

Yes, I know there's a hardcore mode, and that's what I'd exclusively play but hardcore is a PITA when playing with a LAN group.  I'd love something in between, but sadly nothing is offered and it's not moddable.

Back to Titan's Quest mods for me

July 23, 2009 8:12:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I played Sacred 2 and I just couldnt stand it for more than an hour and a hlaf.. every thing about it was.. well not enough.. Diablo on the other hand, is a great game ^^ (but old)
however, I have always been a more Neverwinter Nights / Baldurs Gate kind of guy

July 23, 2009 9:24:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sacred 2 is actually before scared 1 in story wise so i guess the atmosphere compare to sacred 1 is so different. That egyptian god is temple guardian which is create by 1 of the god i forget the name, to guard the key.

July 24, 2009 8:17:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting goodgimp,
The complete lack of any kind of death penalty (well, other than lowering the monster's levels to make it easier for you) kinda killed it for me.

Yes, I know there's a hardcore mode, and that's what I'd exclusively play but hardcore is a PITA when playing with a LAN group.  I'd love something in between, but sadly nothing is offered and it's not moddable.

All I play is hardcore.  I lost my first 8 chars learning to play the game but the more I play the more I like it.  Your 'Survival Bonus' increases your stats, your 'Magic Find', the experence you get, and the level of the monsters you face.  I LOVE the concept but am having too much fun playing Hard Core to start a normal char to play around with it.

Sammual

July 25, 2009 10:19:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmmm...I just bought it a few days ago, but haven't been able to play it yet...the newest patch screwes up the game and it won't work on most 64 systems...I'm hoping impulse will give me a refund if a fix isn't found soon.

July 25, 2009 11:44:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StoweMobile,
hmmm...I just bought it a few days ago, but haven't been able to play it yet...the newest patch screwes up the game and it won't work on most 64 systems...I'm hoping impulse will give me a refund if a fix isn't found soon.

Only on Win 7 64 systems.

What are you running into?

I am pissed off, I just got  the game this week.  I was planning on playing all day today before I head to the beech for a week on Sun.  Last night the MP servers went down and they still aren't back up.

Sammual

July 26, 2009 1:01:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

nah, the 2.43 patch is messed up for both Vist 64 bit, and Win 7 64. The game only runs for a few minutes, and then locks up. I think though it will run for like 40 minutes on Win 7 if you run it in compatibility mode for XP SP3. I've sent in a ticket to stardock support. Here is the link to the offical Sacred 2 technical issues forum.

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207

If you haven't updated to 2.43 you should be good though.

P.s. That's funny, your leaving on Sun for a week long trip to the beach, and I am leaving Sun from a week long trip to the beach!!!

July 26, 2009 1:13:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm on Vista64 and the game runs rock solid.  For what I read on the boards most of the users having issues are Win 7 64.  The Vista64 users found a workaround for the crashing / lockups (Reinstall and patch in the correct order I believe).  From what I picked up in IRC the issue was people missing an interm patch that updated PhysX.  If you had PhysX installed on you PC before you insalled Sacred unless you updated Sacred 2 to 2.3X it didn't upgrade PhysX.

Sammual

P.S.  I'm off to Ocean City, where are you comming from?

July 26, 2009 3:00:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MetaNerd3ooo,

There is no moral problem with pirating a DRM game. Publisher/devs treat you like a criminal with online activation limits and monitoring rootkits etc. So you might aswell just pirate there game and laugh em in the face.

Im a software dev myself. I would be pissed off if i found out someone used my software without paying. But with that said. When people install my companies software they are asked for a seriel key and thats it. No rootkits, no online activation limit. Its more of a legal measure to ensure we can sue any company who uses it without a key.

Again there is no damn moral problem of stealing from criminals who sell rootkits and spyware.

July 26, 2009 3:08:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Awac A,

Quoting MetaNerd3ooo, reply 2Whenever I come across a game with DRM like that, I just buy the game but never touch it and download a warez copy of it.  Technically still illegal, but it solves the moral problems for me.

There is no moral problem with pirating a DRM game. Publisher/devs treat you like a criminal with online activation limits and monitoring rootkits etc. So you might aswell just pirate there game and laugh em in the face.

Im a software dev myself. I would be pissed off if i found out someone used my software without paying. But with that said. When people install my companies software they are asked for a seriel key and thats it. No rootkits, no online activation limit. Its more of a legal measure to ensure we can sue any company who uses it without a key.

Again there is no damn moral problem of stealing from criminals who sell rootkits and spyware.

please show me hard proof of these rootkits. 99% of the time it' s DRM babies being parranoyed and blaming games when it's probably them dling torrents

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.