The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

On the road to version 1.2

By on June 26, 2009 6:37:27 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

image Greetings!

Version 1.1 is out!  A few house keeping things:

We have put up: http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp for people who want to keep up with the number of people online which includes also the number of current games, open games, and lurkers.

Second, with v1.1 you can kind-of control the AI with the P (ping) key.  Just mouse over where you want the AI to go and it will tend to go there unless it decides there’s a higher priority objective but it works decently (about as well as it does on humans <G>).

Now, with that discussed, let’s talk about version 1.2.

Gas Powered Games is on board to open Demigod up to pretty significant official modding support which I think would be totally awesome. I don’t know if anyone reading this has had a chance to check out the LUA code (scripts). A few mods have already been made but obviously modding right now is a problem because you can’t use them online.  We would solve that by having officially sanctioned mods (players would submit them to DemigodTheGame.com and once accepted would be treated much like extra “Game options”).  I’d be curious to find out if modders could add new units and such.

But what we are particularly interested in doing with v1.2 is nailing down “features” that users want changed or fixed.  So please feel free to use this journal entry as a means to tell us what things you think we could do in v1.2 that would make the game even more fun. Whether that be things I’m already aware of like improved path finding or better queuing up of spell actions or anything else that you feel detracts from the experience.

+897 Karma | 138 Replies
June 27, 2009 2:50:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also - replays

June 27, 2009 3:33:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice update, thank you frogboy

I wish the following things are given priority to

They cannot be improved by the MOD support

• Team Join Pantheon/Skirmish
  • Selectable Team Size Pantheon/Skirmish (2-5)
  • No AI Pantheon/Skirmish
  • Map Editor (Including MOD Support?)
IMO,I do not need 3 Rankings
Simply only one by Pantheon+Skirmish result
I hope to add group rank (ie Level of COH or A+ to D- of Iccup) and display it with player in all games

Sorry I'm poor in English
Thank you

June 27, 2009 3:36:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

make the game playable again, please.

i am getting a unhandled exception every game i want to start, even in singleplayer! so atm i cant play demigod at all...

June 27, 2009 3:48:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm gonna go with fix what you broke with 1.1, then try getting the features that were supposed to be in 1.1 funtional before talking about 1.2.  It's frustrating to have yet another screwed up patch, but it's even more frustrating to be seeing nothing from an official source posted about it.

June 27, 2009 3:52:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Much tighter competitive matchmaking and much better friends is the absolute #1. I'd even skip observers, replays and mods for that.

June 27, 2009 4:21:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please improve the ingame friendlist so that I can see what the games are called where my friends are in and maybe get a short message if they join a game. That would make it much easier to get into the same games with friends without having them to ask all the time.

Also the friendlist seems to have some bugs, for example I got at least 2 people on my list that are always shown as offline even if they are online and I got one double on my list.

June 27, 2009 4:44:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FrogBoy

We have put up: http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp for people who want to keep up with the number of people online which includes also the number of current games, open games, and lurkers.

I need some clarification. It's European morning now. I see 3 games in lobby, just 1 from EU (other tagged as US). I was waiting like 20 minutes in this single European game to get team, and after that 20 minutes, just 3 players showed up.

From stats, there are over 2700 players online now. Stats says, there are 50 games in progress (50 games, max 10 players each, so 500 players MAX there). So I wonder. If we have over 2200 free players online now, why don't they join 1 single european game ? Or maybe, this stats just telling me, how many players are connected to impulse ? So when I start my computer, impulse loads from autostart, and im counted as "player online" ? Just don't try to tell me there are 2200 players online doing nothing...

June 27, 2009 4:55:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Macabre-13,
I believe it's been mentioned before, but I would love to see a "Randomize Teams" option for custom games.  I think it's the perfect solution for those who are wary of premade teams in custom games, plus it would add a new and fun level of challenge not knowing who you'll be partnered up with until the match starts.

Agree. I really want this feature. I have pretty much given up on playing custom games. I think pretty much 80% of custom games lately have been premade teams vs randoms with predictable and unfun results.

June 27, 2009 5:14:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ciber,

I think pretty much 80% of custom games lately have been premade teams vs randoms with predictable and unfun results.

Check this topic:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356938

Here is my idea how to show premades:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356938/page/2/#2274034

June 27, 2009 5:25:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

REPLAYS

CLAN-SUPPORT

June 27, 2009 5:30:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
  •  
    • When opening the friends list (Shift+tab->Friends) you can see whatever game your friends are in, and you can join if the game is open by right clicking on it and joining.
  • We REALLY need an addition to the interface where you can see all your team-mates health and mana. Also, we need to see the color of the Demigod, not Green for allies and Red for enemies. I want to know that Rook(playerX) is defending the left flag and that Sedna(PlayerY) is backing him up for example. Currently the color you chose at the beginning of the game is purely aesthetic.
    • Being able to click the map with a certain button and a dot would appear there to the whole team. This way you can easily signal locations.
  • Improved skill/minion details. I am a number freak. I want to se the range, attack speed, damage and whatnot of my minion. I even want to know how much the delay between priests healing is.
    • The new black chat frame is simply ugly.
  • This is a long shot : Ability to upgrade towers separately ?
    • Set default option to see demigods/minions/buildings health bars at the same time.
  • You said something about player stats in-game. Well now's the time.New game modes maybe ?
    • Custom Keybindings.
  • Ability to see who bought what (citadel) upgrade.
    • Ability to see what items and favor item my enemy/ally is wearing. This is a REALLY important feature for beginners wanting to learn the game.
  • When hosting a game, we should have the ability to label the game via radio buttons or whatever as being EU/US/AU/AS/AF etc. Also, ability to label them as 2v2/3v3/4v4/5v5 also. This way we can actually use the name field to name the game, not present the options. If these get implemented, we need a sort/filter function in the lobby. For example, i only feel like playing 3v3 games with a host from Europe.

BTW, i saw a suggestion and i was like "WTF?" .

"- teamplay awards i.e. for casting shields on allies, or for healing them..."

Excuse me mate, but you ARE supposed to heal/shield your mates for the good of the team. You don't need to get a medal. Play something else.

June 27, 2009 5:34:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My priority order would be:

1. Fix general and gameplay bugs (multiple auto-attack bugs, valor flag, item activation cancels movement, unresponsive ui)
  2. Continue working on improving the matchmaking, connections and stat recording (there is still lots of improvement needed, especially in pantheon)
  3. Chat/Friends PM working correctly
  4. Replays
  5. Modding
  6. General improvements (like being able to cast on self, hp bars for teammates, plenty of good suggestions in this thread)
We have put up: http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp for people who want to keep up with the number of people online which includes also the number of current games, open games, and lurkers.
  • 50 games in different stages at this moment
  • 6 players on average per game (it's actually less)
  • 300 players playing or setting up games
  • 2625 players online
  • 2325 lurkers
It's obvious something is not right with this!!!  Only 15% of online players actually playing is, well, weird. The lurkers are not in chat either, less than 100 people there.  So what exactly makes them online?

June 27, 2009 5:50:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Misfortune,

50 games in different stages at this moment
6 players on average per game (it's actually less)
300 players playing or setting up games
2625 players online
2325 lurkers

It's obvious something is not right with this!!!  Only 15% of online players actually playing is, well, weird. The lurkers are not in chat either, less than 100 people there.  So what exactly makes them online?

good question !

was wondering myself about it !

maybe its a hoax

June 27, 2009 6:52:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we fix the forums so "General" is viewable more than 25% of the time?

June 27, 2009 6:52:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Poul,

Quoting Ciber,
reply 8

I think pretty much 80% of custom games lately have been premade teams vs randoms with predictable and unfun results.

Check this topic:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356938

Hello!

Last weeks i see like 75% premade custom games. People are obviously making some race for highest winning streaks.

Make it clear, normally it's not fun at all to play in random team against premade team, like 3 friends vs 3 random or 4 friends vs 4 random. Sometimes You can beat premade team, but thats really hard to achieve. So I started to think... is this game going to be fully premade ? At the start, I could play this game just for fun, from time to time, joining some first custom game on the list and have fun playing with all random teams without any disadvantages from one side (sometimes I was unlucky and got newbie in my team, sometimes other team was unlucky and that was fair).

Yea, I know playing with friends it's great thing, I'm not saying it's bad. But well, just look at some people. They can play only in premade team !! And to be honest, they just won't play against other friend team at all, they just like to kick random !! Why ? That's good question.

The stupidest thing around here is, when You are a host and You are losing, just quit and the game won't save at all !! Today I had a game, where host team was losing, so he quits game just before their citadel was destroyed. Result ? He got 110 games winning streak... still (just imagine, how many times he had to do this "trick" to achieve this proud result !!).

I can't understand why some people care so much about ranking ? Do they THINK people will say "he is good, he has 100% wins" ? And what about fun, If You crush Your rivals in 95% games, otherwise (if You fight against better team, premade or just lucky), You just quits to not count that game ? Is this still funny for You or You are playing just to get next win in ranking ? I can't say, never tried that, but it sounds hilarious.

I know no one like to lose, at least I don't , but when I see the game was close and we lost just by a magrin, it's fine for me, really. But I can't understand, how can people have fun from this constantly wins. These games are like with AI, just do Your job, same as always, other team has almost no chances anyway. Aren't that wins starting to be... automatic games ? You don't really play, You don't really need to think there. Just find out which players from opposite random team are the weasest and constantly attack and kill them, buy better gear from that "free" money and then You can do whatever You want to.

I'm saying that as a random player, who played this game just for fun, to stress out. Now, it's really no sense to play for players like me. I know clans would clear this situation a bit. At least You could easly see some players from same clan, before game start or even make clan vs clan battles. But there will still be some people, who just like to kick random assess hour by hour, day by day, week by week.

I think, there should be a possibility in lobby to check player history. Let's say last 10 battles, by showing only players names and result of battle from the person You are checking. Why ? Well I don't want to play random vs friend games, really. There is a line between losing on same terms and being smashed by a well organized friends, when You can just observe how Your random team is feeding them. I don't want that, it's not funny at all. That's why I think people playing premade games should be easly detectable from lobby menu. Just think about that - it's really no fun to realize You are losing almost all Your games, because You are playing (sometimes literally) alone vs 3 or 4 friends.

I think that's the main reason, why this game have no chances to stay popular longer than next couple months. Even the strongest person would give up after 2-3 weeks of constantly losing vs friend games. You just can't play this game alone now. You need to have few skilled friends in Your party, because You can be 75% sure, the other team will be premade. And if You really want to play "24/7" with friends, there are plenty of MMORPG's, which are made this purpose. Anyway, I think making premades detectable from lobby, would help alone players a bit.

Here is my idea how to show premades:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/356938/page/2/#2274034

So, the conclusion. Premades aren't bad, when you WANT TO play with it. If I had 2 or 3 skilled friends, I would like to play premades to LEARN from other teams new tactics and their behaviour. But when i'm in random party and playing against premade, I wont learn anything at all !! Well, maybe one thing I can learn is... I can't cooperate with random party well. Sure, some chat dialogs are possible, but premades knows each other. They have tactics they are using every game. It's impossible to use your tactics in random party, because other players don't know you and your game style.

It's simple solution to this. Stardock should let for us to in-game check other people last games to easly see which games are premades and which aren't. If I see who some player played with in his last 10 games, I would see this particular game is premade.

It should be very easy to show. My idea is...

1) Add new history button in game lobby:

2) After click, you will get last 10 games list (based by ranking website), something like this:

So if you see some red colour in that list, you know those players played together before, and are in same team in lobby right now. From green colour you know, 2 players played together last game, and they both are in lobby right now, but opposite side. List should show at least last 5 games, and could be also in HTML format (build in game), so it would be much easier to implement. It really shouldn't be that hard to make, because you already have all data in your database. Its all about format and show them in game in right way.

So, if you have this kind of info, you can easly check player history in a second, and from the red colour know, which teams are premade. Simple and effective. This will let you choose, would you like to play premade or not. And thats what i want to know before game starts !!

A good thread and a good idea. As well as randomise teams. New players and solo players need to be able to play custom games without getting stomped by premade teams.

June 27, 2009 7:07:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Anuslingus,
I'm gonna go with fix what you broke with 1.1, then try getting the features that were supposed to be in 1.1 funtional before talking about 1.2.  It's frustrating to have yet another screwed up patch, but it's even more frustrating to be seeing nothing from an official source posted about it.

100 times this, why are we even thinking about 1.2 when 1.1 doesn't fix what it was supposed to, and has new features that don't work.

June 27, 2009 7:11:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm going to start writing a list of players I don't want to play. It would be good if the game had a built in reputation system that did this for me.

June 27, 2009 7:40:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Misfortune,
My priority order would be:

Fix general and gameplay bugs (multiple auto-attack bugs, valor flag, item activation cancels movement, unresponsive ui)
Continue working on improving the matchmaking, connections and stat recording (there is still lots of improvement needed, especially in pantheon)
Chat/Friends PM working correctly
Replays
Modding
General improvements (like being able to cast on self, hp bars for teammates, plenty of good suggestions in this thread)

We have put up: http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp for people who want to keep up with the number of people online which includes also the number of current games, open games, and lurkers.

50 games in different stages at this moment
6 players on average per game (it's actually less)
300 players playing or setting up games
2625 players online
2325 lurkers

Very nice observation. I wonder if it's: Impulse On = you are online? Because Impulse starts with windows for me and is always On in the system tray.

June 27, 2009 8:04:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we just get those new demigods you kept promising.

And really.. pretending to have a working random option that is clearly broken is not very convincing. It took 2 month to basically patch idol stacking and nerf HoL. That's pretty much all GPG did. Hell, some volunteer had to fix the turning bug. The networking stuff that SD put together is pretty amazing, but GPG's content updating speed is pathetic.

This is very similar to L4D.. where the developers promised more content.. instead they milked the cow and now.. L4D 2 announced. Are we going down that path?

June 27, 2009 8:12:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im not gonna make this long id just like to see the game more "friends" friendly.

better friends list with better status rather than just "In Game"

i lobby list would also be nice knowing all the players that are on.

a country icon would be a good addition to know where players are from for better connection games.

the reason i play this game is to play with other people, making it easier to PM people and know where they are just make it a more fun experience.

June 27, 2009 8:24:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Being able to see stats in custom games would be a huge improvement and would virtually eliminate the issue of premades frustrating people, as well as identify quitters.

June 27, 2009 8:31:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmmm....

What is one of the most basic features for a RTS, already half in, was used in the SupCom engine (which Demigod uses), came with games that were 10 years old, has stopped this game from flourishing as much as it could have earlier on, and been constantly asked for since release?

Replays.

Geez....how on earth is this still not in the game 2 and a bit months after release....? How on earth was it not in WITH release? What were you guys thinking..

June 27, 2009 9:04:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Replays didn't come with games that are ten years old. In Starcraft it was only patched in in about 2002, and they plain didn't work at first.

June 27, 2009 9:19:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I desperately need the disconnect timer back to 30secs.  I have tried everything, but after changing out the liineds for the block and everything time warner still can't find the cause of drops during DG, L4D, or Hulu.  I drop for exactly 21 secs as the modem power adjusts the signal, so the old 30 sec timer would keep games intact and teams even.

Can we also fix it so we don't have the weekend server issues (slowdowns and crashes).

June 27, 2009 9:29:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy said: "But what we are particularly interested in doing with v1.2 is nailing down “features” that users want changed or fixed. So please feel free to use this journal entry as a means to tell us what things you think we could do in v1.2 that would make the game even more fun. Whether that be things I’m already aware of like improved path finding or better queuing up of spell actions or anything else that you feel detracts from the experience."

Just fix the damn basic things

Skill based matchmaking ( pantheon/skirmish)

Pathing and skill bugs ( selection/targetting etc)

That is all

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.