The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

1.1 What didn't get fixed

By on June 24, 2009 2:45:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I only spent 5 min in sp testing, but it's obvious the following obvious and basic bugs missed getting included in this "major" patch:

• Demigods stopping movement when activating items with enemies nearby.
  • Auto-atack bugs (well documented on the forum)
  • TB Fire mode can't auto-attack while moving (if it's not a bug we need official statement)
  • If you assign skillpoints while trying to cast, cursor stays stuck in cast mode but you can't cast (pressing esc fixes it)
  • PM in impulse overlay still broken
  • Chat in impulse overlay still broken (for me at least)

Demigod v1.1 is out! This is the first of several major planned updates to Demigod from developer Gas Powered Games.

So besides concede and some balance item/creep tweeks, what did this so hyped patch actually do??  Ok Random Demigods as soon as you fix it.  But I serously fail to see what is major in it.  No wonder 1.1 patch thread was instantly locked.

+3 Karma | 52 Replies
June 24, 2009 2:52:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The following, when released together, constitute a major patch:

• Teams can concede a game to end it early once it becomes apparent who is going to win.
  • Launch of the second Epoch online. Existing statistics archived and rankings based on new games.
  • Improved chat window handling
  • When players sell a minion idol, minions connected to that idol are destroyed.
  • Improved computer AI.
  • Removed “spammy” achievement alerts.
  • Improved visuals on certain nVidia cards at lower quality settings.
  • Heart of Life more expensive, now an artifact, longer cooldown.
  • Hex Scroll is more powerful
  • Pantheon games are forced to even teams (e.g. 3 vs. 3)
  • Reward for completing a game is now 40 favor points.
  • Reduced experience and gold reward from killing piling priests and angels.
  • Angel unit AI improved
  • Many small tweaks and fixes to engine and multiplayer
  • Custom Games fully make use of new Demigod Online system developed by Stardock:
    • Players who have opened their ports get directly connected.
    • Players who don’t have opened ports will get connected via a NAT server
    • Players who still can’t connect will have their games hosted by Stardock servers based in Asia, Europe, or North America depending on player location.
  • June 24, 2009 2:54:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you assign skillpoints while trying to cast, cursor stays stuck in cast mode but you can't cast (pressing esc fixes it)

This one is probably difficult to fix as each rank of the spell is technically a different spell, and it's pretty damn easy to work around for the user.  Just right click, you don't have to press ESC.

June 24, 2009 3:02:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't assign skillpoints while casting. There, no problems!

June 24, 2009 3:05:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Charvel1, only the concede option is a major addition/change to the game, the rest are tweaks and fixes.  And stat reset is a fix to the broken stats, not a new epoch or whatever it's chosen as a name.  Anyway, was intending to have this thread as point to discuss bugs that didn't get fixed - I guess I should have refrained from commenting further.

June 24, 2009 3:13:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I only spent 5 min in sp testing, but it's obvious the following obvious and basic bugs missed getting included in this "major" patch:...

Hey - ballbusting aside, there are some great enhancements in 1.1.  Obviously, some bugs still exist, but perhaps addressing things a bit more "constructively" would be more appropriate?  Many people in the community requested that dev journals be locked after posting to avoid just this sort of thing.  We got some new balancing and some cool new features... that's what that post is about.  Concerns about bugs should of course be posted and I'm glad you bring light to those items... I'd think you'd want to post that information in the demigod problem reports forum.

June 24, 2009 3:17:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO This can be considered a major patch, as there's quite a bit of stuff fixed that people have been wanting. There will always be things NOT fixed, it seems a little silly to devote our time to looking at the negative side so much. I mean, 1.1 is obviously a step in the right direction.

June 24, 2009 3:33:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kind of petty on the day of a major update that addresses things people have been making to make a post whining about things on your personal list.  You couldn't wait until say, tomorrow?

June 24, 2009 3:40:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fixed a lot of stuff. I'd like to see the fix to item usage and fire TB but those are minor considering the exploits they did fix.

Maybe 1.2 ^_~

June 24, 2009 3:42:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This patch fixed some of the biggest bitching I have seen on the forums (priests, conceeding, idols, stats) so I would consider it a major patch .  Good job SD and GPG!  

June 24, 2009 3:52:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pathfinding for everything in the game is still horrendously bad too.

June 24, 2009 3:57:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, I apologize for my tone.

Offcourse I appreciate the balance fixes, my point was only that those balance fixes didn't really require all that much work.  Pretty much most of the fixes, being balance tweaks, are few lines change in some parameter list.  Idols should have been an easy fix too.  All I was trying to say is it's pretty weird that no gameplay bugs made it into the fix and those are the type of changes that require most work.  Basically I look at the list and have really hard time seeing what requred the hard work that was said to be put into the patch... sorry, but that is just how I feel about it.

As for these bugs being in a personal list - I think smooth gameplay is a must for the game to have competative quality.  Autoattack bugs and item activation bug, while not game breaking, sure affect gameplay and as such should be treated with high priority.

June 24, 2009 3:57:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys are weird. What did you except?? a patch that fix everyting?

Stop whinning and you should be thankfull you got a patch.

June 24, 2009 3:59:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IllegalDustbin,
    Pathfinding for everything in the game is still horrendously bad too.

An hour ago I lost at least 3 kills in the game I played due to the pathfinding. When we started to make a comeback, the game crashed on me for the first time ever.

Otherwise, great patch. It did fix a lot of the complaints people were having. I just hope that crash was a one-time thing.

June 24, 2009 4:05:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did some movement bug return? My char sometimes refuse to attack until I've given him 4-5 commands to do so. Matchmaking seem to work great though.

June 24, 2009 4:06:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys are weird. What did you except?? a patch that fix everyting?

Yes?

Though this patch did fix many things.

June 24, 2009 4:34:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your expectation of this patch fixing everything is too high.

As for the simple 1 line code changes isn't really so simple.  For example, the HoL item change to 12,000g is just 1 line of code change.  Should take just 1 minute right?

Well for most companies it takes 1 month.  (atleast where I work)

1. Many days of testing to really confirm that HoL is overpowered

2. Many hours of meetings with managers, development team, QA team, to decide the change needs to be 12,000g.

3. The actually coding (1 hour) but the developer spent 1 day on it because he had a long lunch and got distracted from reading the official demigod forums about HoL.

4. Many days of testing to make sure the game is balance and it doesn't break anything.

5. Ready for release but can't go out yet because have to wait for 8 other bug fixes that is scheduled for 1.1.   So a simple 1 line code fix ended up taking 2 months like most companies.

June 24, 2009 5:09:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

visuals work correctly for geforce 6 and 7 now, and valor bug is fixed.

June 24, 2009 5:52:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,

Yes?

Though this patch did fix many things.

Well they could try and do that but we would recieve updates at a much slower pace.  This is just a typical post patch thread where people complain that x got fixed but y didn't. As much as we'd like it, they can't wave their magic wand to make everything better, coding takes time like anything else and GPG don't have infinite amounts of it.

I'd rather them fix a few things, release a patch, fix more things, then release another patch than wait ages for some uber patch.

June 24, 2009 6:11:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guys, for what didn't get fixed, we should all take a step back and appreciate how far Demigod has come, compared to GPG's previous major endeavor, Supcom/FA. It's night-and-day different. For the better.

June 24, 2009 8:40:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the patch fixed at least 3 of the major gripes people had with the game. What I would like to see though is small patches at regular intervals with whatever bug has been fix or items balanced rather than waiting 2 months for a big patch.

Games don't have to release everything in one big go anymore with things like stardock and it would be nice to see that put to use.

I don't want to come over all negative, I do apreciate the patch and that GPG is listening to all the flaming on the forums.

June 24, 2009 9:23:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I only spent 5 min in sp testing...

I didn't really need to reach much more than the title of your thread and the opening 9 words before I knew that this wasn't a constructive thread designed to help the Publishers pass a list of the communities prioritised concerns to the developers so that they are addressed. Every thing they've changed or added is designed to address the perceived concerns of the community. Things such as Rage Quitting were clearly big ticket items for this patch, as was the obviously imbalanced Priests and Angels. And don't even get me started on HoL.

...my point was only that those balance fixes didn't really require all that much work.  Pretty much most of the fixes, being balance tweaks, are few lines change in some parameter list.  Idols should have been an easy fix too.  All I was trying to say is it's pretty weird that no gameplay bugs made it into the fix and those are the type of changes that require most work.  Basically I look at the list and have really hard time seeing what requred the hard work that was said to be put into the patch... sorry, but that is just how I feel about it.

Do you think the changes that are implemented are just pulled out of thin air? They are tested, worked on, tested some more and modified, implemented into a in-house beta patch and tested some more and then written into the final code for the patch. The bugs you're talking about mostly have work arounds - there was no work around for HoL or the Priests imbalances. These changes are going to have some fairly major impacts on how matches play out. What you believe to be the most important issues aren't what the Developers perceived as the most important to the community. Be happy that some of the imbalances have been fixed, and if you're unhappy with what hasn't been addressed, make a constructive post detailing this for the Publishers to bring to the Developers attention, not make posts like this where all you do is complain.

edit: Quote tags.

June 24, 2009 11:10:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey - i i fired back at misfortune based on his tone, but he clearly is someone who plays the game and wants the best for it.  Even a 5 min test noticing all the specifics that he did indicates someone who is a decent part of the community... just took a shot a little early IMO.  No other reponse required towards him.  He appears to get it. 

June 24, 2009 11:17:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm still pissed that 1.1 didn't make the Chinese Government acknowledge the Tiananmen massacre.

June 24, 2009 11:40:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Deepjay,
    I'm still pissed that 1.1 didn't make the Chinese Government acknowledge the Tiananmen massacre.

It will... be patient

June 24, 2009 11:50:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey - i i fired back at misfortune based on his tone, but he clearly is someone who plays the game and wants the best for it.  Even a 5 min test noticing all the specifics that he did indicates someone who is a decent part of the community... just took a shot a little early IMO.  No other reponse required towards him.  He appears to get it. 

It's not just his tone. It's his lack of understanding on how things really work when it comes to the development pipeline for patching. As ZehDon has pointed out, his post in response to the comments on his opening post still indicated ignorance for the amount of effort it takes to get things done. His "sorry, but that's how I feel" just makes him appear apathic towards the devs. Hardly an appreciative response.

Everyone's clearly entitled to their own opinions and everyone has a right to freely express them, but doing it with more tact always goes a long way.

Let's be patient. I'm most pleased with the visual effect fix for 6 and 7 series GeForce cards. The devs have clearly displayed a strong ability to walk the talk. Great job on their part!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.