The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Volcano (With Pics)

By on May 22, 2009 6:33:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

for those who are sick and tired of my map ideas; i'm sorry this is the second last one for a few days at least.

now for my new idea.  while i was doing the Lake Front one i was also thinking about the peaceful nature setting and then thinking of the opposite.  when i play a DG match the isn't much time to just wander around the place watching birds and sniffing flowers.  no no.. its all about the fight.. and fighting for power and destruction.  with this in mind i thought of an interesting idea with fire and rock... and more exact a Volcano.

Map: Volcano

This map is going to be based on a volcano so with any good volcano level there needs to be fire... and there needs to be lava.  so i came up with an idea to incorperate this.   the basic outline of the amp is below with a nifty spiral shape twisting up to a volcano peek.

each Citadel would be in the lumps on the left and right of the map with three lines of grunts running around and up the mountain.

Enviroment

so obviously this is a volcano, and volcanoes are basicly mountains.  so to better show this mountain i have two pictures.  the first one below is an altiture map with the lines in red and the outline faded in the back ground.  for those who might not like this kind of diagram i have a simple photoshop paint job to help you out.

note: the numbers in the middle in black is the altitude in meters.

Note: i really hope someone at GPG could do a better graphics job than me.

so you can see the central mountain with its peek between the circling paths as well as the bases on each side.  the bases are also elevated as well as the two flag paths above and bellow; this is for the lava which i will explain in a bit.

i'm still unsure if the Demigod coding will allow for elivation yet, but for now i'm going to assume that its in there somewhere but hasn't been utilized.  with what i was envisioning in my head the mountian would be big enough for the camera angle to only be focused on one side at a time, meaning you would have adjust as you scaled the mountain or go fr a top down view.  this way i think its makes the battle more interesting as allies ping for assistance on the other side of the mountain.

Grunts and Towers

with grunts this basicly an up and around job.  grunts have three paths (shown in the picture below) they can either go around the mountain, a pretty simple, level path.  or they can wind there way up the mountain, around the lava pit and down the other side.

something that i though would be really neet is right in the middle where the peek is, there would be a lava pit... basicly a big pool of molten metal.  obviously the creeps want to go around this so i added the twist.  however when the creeps take the twist they actualy end up missing the grunt wave that left at the same time as them and end up fighting the other enemy wave half way down the mountain.  this way when a DG is going up the middle will have to decide if they are going to either push the line or defend their creeps... all the while worrying about where the other DG's are.

as for towers is basicly this....

as you can see there are no towers in the middle untill half way down the mountain... and this is to support the grunts that miss each other.

Lava and Fireballs

so we can't have a volcano that doesn't shoot fire and rocks...  thats just bad posture.  so there are two elements to this map that i thought would be very nice.  first is randomly shot fireballs that land in random locations around the map.  these can be an AoE damage with the same range as Rooks hammer smash, with people right unter the ball getting hurt a lot mor than those who were just winged.  for damage sakes it might be nice for it to do say 500 damage, this way if its gets lucky and hits creep wave then its game over for those minators.

the second effect is the Lava. and when i say lava i'm not talking about the occational little spash from the top.  for lava to be done right it needs to pour over the edge, run down the mountain and pool and harden for about 5 min of the game.  this way not only do u mold the shap of the map as paths become dangerous to travel, but u also can adapt for defensive or offensive pushes is the lava ends up taking out a whole lane of grunts.

for the actual mechanics of this i think a simple damage per second burn similar to TB's fire circle would be best.  this way its still safe for DG's with good HP and regen, however creeps will feel the pain up untill giants who are bad ass tank anyway.  i'd really like some suggestions, but for now something like 20 hp/sec might be good enough to make DG's think twice before wading though lava to get a flag.  as for when they will start pouring i think its important to keep people on their toes.  say having one wave of lava pour every 7-10 min with the wave lasting around 3-5 min.

to help visualize this i got a few situations:

so the situations are:

1. Here the lava pours from the centre down the mountain taking out the middle and bottom lane.  creeps burn and dies and DM's find them selves in the middle of a firestorm.  if you look back thou at the altitue diagram you can see the flag hill is elivated so the lava will just pool at its base and not  devour the hill.  after a few minutes of fire the lava cools and returns to a normal path way.  maybe with omse smoldering trees for effect.
  2. Here its a bit more simple with lava just winging the middle and taking the bottom lane, then falling off the side.
  3. This is where adaptation is needed.  as you can see the base is now cut right off.  this is bad, very bad.  here creeps are dying and the enemey is pushing in, however the enemy can't cross the lava either so this might be a good chance to regroup and defend while the enemy pick off any flags that isn't capped.  however when the lava harden both team will need to push to regain controll untill the next wave that might hit the other player this time.

on a note before i forget, i think it makes sense for the fireballs and lava to do damage to the building as well.  this makes sense because if a tower if hit by a fireball... it hurts it.  however to provent lanes being pushed by the map and not the grunts i'd say maybe a 25% damage reduction to building.

Conclusion

so thats the map.  hope you enjoyed it.  i'd really liek some feed back or some ideas to help balance out the map a bit... maybe some more realistic numbers for damage and timing. 

If you liked this mapp then you might also like some of my other maps:

Lake Front

Canyon

Gate

Knot

(1 more coming soon)

Locked Post 12 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 22, 2009 7:35:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The lava falls seem a bit swingy and arbitrary (not that I wouldn't love to see it, but a lot of people don't). However, I like the idea of the spiral with the creeps missing eachother in the middle so they fight on the edges. The shortcuts being really heavily defened, plus the promise of extra creep farming in the middle makes for interesting strategy choices, too.

May 22, 2009 7:46:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think this is a great concept map, good job man.

May 22, 2009 7:56:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it rly great dude °_° u have a lot of spare time, haven't u?

May 22, 2009 8:43:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Get rid of the grunts in the mid concept. As in most maps there is a flag in the middle and the demigod must choose to capture the flag or farm grunts off the lanes. If they choose to cap the flag in the middle they lose time some gold and xp, specially if there is a defender. This is a great map concept but get rid of the extra grunt lane so people cant xp everywhere without a fight.

May 22, 2009 11:40:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the only portals standing in front of citidels, and a whopping 3 of them there on a single, narrow chokepoint, this is a recipe for a mid to late game stalemate. It needs to be fixed.

May 23, 2009 12:42:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thank you for the comments... looks like i'm going to have to rethink a few of the things now, which is a good thing (ideas need to evolve after all).

so:

@everyone

Thanx for the comments

@armagititon

i see where your coming from.  i guess the portal could cause a bunch of problems when it come time to push.  when i get a chance what i might do is add a small path leading to the side of the base where the middle grunts will spawn.  this way only 2 portals are in the middle (like most maps) and if needed the enemy team can cap the middle portal for a 2:1 ratio of grunts and hopefully a nice victory.

@Chaoticon

i tryed to put this in (kind of) if you look on the tower map then you can see that half way down the middle path is a green triangle (a flag) and if the timing is right then i hoped that the grunts would meet the second wave around there.  so the question for the DG is if they take the flag on the enemy side or on their own.  sort of balancing offensive and defensive.  i do like the idea thou of having no grunts in the middle.  or maybe only spawning half as many so there still is little push, but not as much xp and gold coming from it.

@geek665

its not that i have lots of time, its just that i have a very boring job and a very random imagination.  basicly i get there at 7:00... think about a design all day... draw it up at lunch in a note pad... come home, and use my tablet to put into photoshop.  and that in a nut shell is my life for the next month or two.

@SolaceAvatar

how about putting a setting to turn of map effects?  then people can choice while in the game lobby.  unless its pantheon then idk what would be default.

May 23, 2009 12:53:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The way you set up the lava screwed one team over entirely...

Lava should flow symmetrically, and increase as more fighting takes place around the top of the volcano. Also, this map would work just as well in 2d as in 3d, because you could just make it so that there is land between the paths instead of a height difference (to eliminate potential balance issues with ranged characters getting potshots at melee characters/minions climbing the mountain.)

Also, no random fireballs. Randomness is a very, very bad thing, especially when it involves randomly ganking people (random crits/procs are fine, because due to the extremely high number of chances you have (due to attacks) you will probrably proc most abilities about how often they should be proc'd, while unless the fireballs are constantly raining down and ganking everybody, they would be too swingy.

But it's a nice idea, and it is nice to see that people care.

May 23, 2009 3:11:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I do like the 3d element though, they need vertical fighting in this game.

May 23, 2009 5:12:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaoticon,
I do like the 3d element though, they need vertical fighting in this game.

Please. As if Regulus wasn't enough of a monster late game with early game harrasement, you also want most all of the other heroes to be ganked by him before even getting into range?

May 24, 2009 12:44:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Maps As far as I know have to be level, looks good though

May 24, 2009 2:56:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how about tying volcanic eruptions to one or more flags? for example, if you hold two flags near the peak of the Volcano for a requisite period of time (say 90 seconds, just for example) then it forces the Volcano to erupt on your opponents side. 

May 24, 2009 9:51:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

rather than that, what might be interesting is for the volcano to erupt and send a wave of lava at any flags that are being taken.  this way people can controll the direction of the lava and use it for some strategy.  or maybe to stop the volcano from going off every few secs maybe capturing a flag has a 30% chance of causing the volcano to erupt.  make for some suspense as well.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: